• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
Sure, when Mama does it it looks fantastic.

But when I try it, it looks like a terrible cake from Netflix's 'Nailed It'.

.... now I want a tie-in game of THAT.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely loved Cooking Mama on Wii. It was great fun in multiplayer as you frantically chop carrots. I'm into this.

salromano

Mr. Gematsu
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This trailer is from November 2019, unlisted, and the game still hasn't been officially announced, so I wouldn't take the March 2020 window as confirmed quite yet.

There's also apparently a PS4 version according to leaks back in August, which is strangely not mentioned in the trailer, so perhaps it was either cancelled or this is a Switch-specific trailer.

Koch Media Distributor Listings:

PS4: https://shop.kochmedia.com/shop/de_...psize=48&page=0&nav2=COM&nav1=GAME&id=1037272
Switch: https://shop.kochmedia.com/shop/de_...psize=48&page=0&nav2=COM&nav1=GAME&id=1037273

German USK ratings: https://usk.de/en/?language=&rating...le&post_type=usktitle&s=cooking+mama+cookstar

Amazon Germany also had both versions previously listed before taking them down back in August 2019.

OP
OP
totofogo

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
This trailer is from November 2019, unlisted, and the game still hasn't been officially announced, so I wouldn't take the March 2020 window as confirmed quite yet.

There's also apparently a PS4 version according to leaks back in August, which is strangely not mentioned in the trailer, so perhaps it was either cancelled or this is a Switch-specific trailer.

Koch Media Distributor Listings:

PS4: https://shop.kochmedia.com/shop/de_...psize=48&page=0&nav2=COM&nav1=GAME&id=1037272
Switch: https://shop.kochmedia.com/shop/de_...psize=48&page=0&nav2=COM&nav1=GAME&id=1037273

German USK ratings: https://usk.de/en/?language=&rating...le&post_type=usktitle&s=cooking+mama+cookstar

Amazon Germany also had both versions previously listed before taking them down back in August 2019.

Ah interesting! I'll request a thread title change.

dsripley

Sep 24, 2019
I hope this release window is still happening, because Animal Crossing and Cooking Mama in the same month would be so awesome. I'm definitely a little skeptical though. Either way I'm super excited to try this series for the time, whenever it does come out.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this kickstarts more motion controller games. I never liked the graphics of Cooking Mama so it will be a pass for me but looks fun nonetheless.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Everything looks metallic? Like, some games look plasticy, why does this look metallic?

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Is this the one with the option to make vegetarian versions of the recipes? Haven't played one of these in ages, so definitely up for a new one.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is a real roller coaster thus far. Regardless, I'm happy to know this is coming and am on board whenever it releases.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I hope this release window is still happening, because Animal Crossing and Cooking Mama in the same month would be so awesome. I'm definitely a little skeptical though. Either way I'm super excited to try this series for the time, whenever it does come out.

Yeah that sounds like a fun month. I'm looking forward to trying to series too as a break in between Island Life.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the food doesn't look yummy at all

giphy.gif

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
I hate to say it, but this looks like a Wii game. I mean it looks really bad, and the graphics don't need to look great, but it's REALLY rough.

Deleted member 6122

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the trailer was taken down because it's not representative of the final product. Maybe (hopefully) a lot of those assets were placeholder.

Oct 26, 2017
Cooking-Mama-Cookstar

Okay so first both versions were added to GameStop yesterday, but today not only does the Switch one have the same box, but the PS4 listing above has been taken down. Not to mention that the PS4 page used the same description that very much references Switch in the first place.

At this point I think the PS4 version never existed and whoever first mentioned it may have had wires crossed. Hell the AUS rating mentioned 1st Playable Productions as a developer which makes no sense as not only do they strictly do mobile/edutainment stuff only now, but they're a western company vs. Office Create who've made very entry to date.

Also while this was from Planet themselves, what the hell was up with that blockchain technology? Maybe it was referencing the social media aspect of the game?

Oct 26, 2017

Cooking Mama: Cookstar - ESRB

Cooking Mama: Cookstar - Everyone - This is a cooking simulation game in which players create and prepare dishes by completing cooking tasks (e.

ESRB also mentions PS4. I don't get it.

Edit: Amazon Germany actually has a box of the PS4 version, but it's under Ravenscourt:

818L-miKrVL.jpg

I have some theories:

- Planet is only actually publishing the Switch version (ESRB and some retailers say otherwise but it would explain their lack of public mention of it)
- Office Create is doing the Switch version, while 1st Playable is doing the PS4 port.
- The PS4 version is likely releasing later as some retailers show this in some form.

That's all I got.

Last edited:

dsripley

Sep 24, 2019
Wait so is this game... out today? It's not on the eShop but I'm seeing it physically at Target for $30, GameStop and Walmart for $40... There are even reviews on GameStop's website for it. I definitely thought the March 31 date was a placeholder but I guess the game really is out today?

Nov 1, 2017
I can't make threads but this might warrant a new thread entirely, but I'll just post the link and a brief excerpt of the IGN article here in case this doesn't warrant an entirely new thread.

The Cooking Mama Game for Switch That Came Out, and Then Disappeared

That trailer (and the game's website) point to a Nintendo eShop version of the game, but if you search for that version at time of writing - in the US or Europe - the eShop returns no results, not even a 'Coming Soon' entry. Even stranger, the game was released on the US eShop last week, but only for a few hours, before being unceremoniously pulled from sale and its listing scrubbed from Nintendo's digital store entirely.

Physical copies of Cookstar are a different story. According to some very pleased/confused Redditors, copies have quietly appeared in select US outlets of Target. Amazon only lists third-party sellers (at least one of which seems to have been set up solely to sell this new Cooking Mama game, strangely), implying the retail giant has no copies at all.

In Europe, the game is seemingly impossible to get a hold of right now, and is listed by several retailers for a release later this month - but none of them seem to agree about when. Don't even get me started on the apparent PS4 version of the game, which is listed for sale across the internet, but hasn't been outwardly mentioned by any official source around 'launch'.

Cooking Mama: Cookstar is, in essence, Schrödinger's Video Game, seemingly existing and non-existing simultaneously, with neither state particularly easy to prove. Can you tell I've been looking into this for too long?

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
This was posted in the eshop thread. I don't know if it's true but it would explain why it got pulled.