• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
zl6609222bg01.jpg

The latest issue of CoroCoro has revealed Level-5's latest cross-media project, Yo-Kai Watch: Shadowside. The project features a new anime, game and more, though further details on other titles will be revealed later. No platforms were announced for the game, however, given Level-5's development shift to the Nintendo Switch, it seems a likely target.

The new anime premieres on April 13th and a brief summary (thanks Anime News Network!) has been included below:
"The series is set after the events of the Yo-kai Watch Shadowside: Oni-ō no Fukkatsu film (set thirty years after the original series), and follows Keisuke (Haruka Tomatsu), the younger brother of Natsume. Natsume is the daughter of the original protagonist Nate and was also the protagonist of the film.

Keisuke is a fifth grader who does not believe in ghosts, aliens, or even Yo-Kai. When he notices Natsume has been coming home late, without explanation, he decides to tail her. This leads Keisuke to discovering that Natsume has been going to a Yo-Kai Detective Agency, forcing her to involve him in her 'activities'."

Update:

Japanese Nintendo has provided character artwork for the new project.

I anticipate the game's reveal and eventual launch to not be too far behind the premiere of the new anime, for maximum exposure.

Last edited:

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is probably Hino's plot get get Yokai Watch in the minds of older kids/people. though I heard the movie didnt do so hot, so who knows

Ubiblu

Banned
Dec 20, 2017
Between Yokai Watch 1 / Honke / Ganso / Shinuchi / Sushi / Tempura / Sukiyaki / Busters / Busters 2 / Sangokushi, I would have easily sunk 500+ hours. Such a fun, addictive series that has completely overridden any love I had for the now stale and stagnant Pokemon series in recent years (Yes, SUMO did little to innovate).

Can't wait to jump back in with another new set of titles!

OP
OP
BlueRose

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
I'll bet on Switch, PS4, and mobile given Inazuma 11.

This seems most likely. I'd guess we can also expect some kind of NFC reader to be made available, to maintain access to the Medals. Interestingly, Yo-Kai Watch was first developed for the PS3.

The brief gameplay footage begins at 1:14.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BlueRose

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
Between Yokai Watch 1 / Honke / Ganso / Shinuchi / Sushi / Tempura / Sukiyaki / Busters / Busters 2 / Sangokushi, I would have easily sunk 500+ hours. Such a fun, addictive series that has completely overridden any love I had for the now stale and stagnant Pokemon series in recent years (Yes, SUMO did little to innovate).

Can't wait to jump back in with another new set of titles!

Absolutely!

I imported a Japanese 3DS primarily for Yo-Kai Watch. Even with a limited understanding of the Japanese language, I have found so much enjoyment in Yo-Kai Watch. I'm excited to see how the series evolves to take advantage of console hardware.

Laplasakos

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll bet on Switch, PS4, and mobile given Inazuma 11.

I think it's unlikely to appear on PS4. Inazuma probably is the exception here because Hino wants to revive the franchise and bringing it on all platforms could help (plus the game could do well in Europe on PS4). If Level5 wanted to bring all the future games on PS4 they would start with Snack World which is getting a NSW port soon.

This new YW is probably for 3DS, NSW and mobile.

OP
OP
BlueRose

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's unlikely to appear on PS4. Inazuma probably is the exception here because Hino wants to revive the franchise and bringing it on all platforms could help (plus the game could do well in Europe on PS4). If Level5 wanted to bring all the future games on PS4 they would start with Snack World which is getting a NSW port soon.

Whatever happened to the mobile port of the original Yo-Kai Watch?

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
this is probably Hino's plot get get Yokai Watch in the minds of older kids/people. though I heard the movie didnt do so hot, so who knows
Yep, that's exactly the idea behind it. Although the movie that introduced this sequel series continued the downward trend that the series is in right now, with worse box office numbers with each entry.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-ne...-star-wars-for-the-first-time-in-ticket-sales

Frankly I really don't know if Shadowside is the answer to revitalize the franchise, but who knows maybe with a proper multimedia project now they can do it (although their other recent multimedia project Snack World hasn't been a hit on the level that YW was).

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont think the new Inazuma Eleven is even gonna be the same game between the PS4/Switch and Mobile. considering they can't even get a port of the 3DS Yokai Watch out in a timely manner, a PS4/Switch and Mobile YW might end up being pretty different as well

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017

I suspect they don't want to put 3DS ports on PS4 the same way Capcom didn't want to lead off with 3DS Monster Hunter ports on the platform.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
If they are rebooting maybe I'll get into it. I like the aesthetic but the demos turned me off from it a bit.

Oct 25, 2017
Yokai Watch for switch <3 ill take it! I hope the third game still makes it over here for 3ds at some point, very fond of the series as a nice chill game to play in the evenings

Oct 25, 2017

It is though? I think the only reason Snack World skipped PS4 was the lack of NFC of the system.

OP
OP
BlueRose

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
Yokai Watch for switch <3 ill take it! I hope the third game still makes it over here for 3ds at some point, very fond of the series as a nice chill game to play in the evenings
If Nintendo is still looking to provide on-going support for the 3DS, especially in the West, a localised Yo-Kai Watch 3 makes a strong candidate.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, I really enjoyed the first game and was already through with the series by the second game. Hopefully they change the actual gameplay as it's pretty trash.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I loved the cute wacky colorful setting and yokai of the regular series.
This "darker" take I'm not keen on at all.
Komasan, what did they do to you :(

OP
OP
BlueRose

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
With Snack World: Trejarers Gold hitting Switch on April 12th and the Yo-Kai Watch: Shadowside anime premiering on April 13th, it'd be great to see some kind of cross-over content for Snack World. Some time limited "guest" Yo-Kai Snacks would be a fun addition.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm kind of hoping for it to look more like the original PS3 announcement, and as Nirolak said, be for PS4, Switch and Mobile.

I enjoyed the first game but haven't played too much of the others.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm kind of hoping for it to look more like the original PS3 announcement, and as Nirolak said, be for PS4, Switch and Mobile.

I enjoyed the first game but haven't played too much of the others.

It was never announced for PS3, that's a misconception. It might have been intended for PS3(or Wii U or Vita) but it was never announced for it.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Actually a multiplatorm makes a lot of sense given the rumors that they plan to handle all their franchises by their own now. No need to have Nintendo bring it over and pay for the translation.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The movie this is spinning out of was a horror in an attempt to reach an older audience. It looks like they're are going for a younger protagonist here though, so we'll see how they handle the Yokai in series.
Well kinda. It was certainly a bit more ''scary'' than the traditional YW, but it's horror like Gegege no Kitaro is (which they had a crossover with in the movie). More of a spooky story for kids than something gruesome, a bit like Goosebumps I guess.

OP
OP
BlueRose

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
If that fucking game is still for the 3DS...
Surely if this were a 3DS title, it would have been revealed in this issue of CoroCoro? I'd argue that by nature, a franchise "reboot" better supports a platform transition. Level-5 has recently shifted development to the Switch as well, with Inazuma 11 and Snack World: Trejarers Gold, so it seems likely Yo-Kai Watch will follow those franchises.

It's safe to assume Yo-Kai Watch will release on the Switch, whether it also comes to other platforms (such as the PS4) as well, however, is another question.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Hoping for a new battle system. Outside of Sangokushi, I haven't been too hot on any of the games, despite how strong they are in every other area.

Yolkghost

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hoping that if they plan to reboot the series they'll try to be quicker about localizing it so that we're not a whole game and some revisions behind Japan forever. I never picked up 2 but I really loved what I played of the first one and wouldn't mind trying out a darker / more mature YW on Switch.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
that does call to question what's gonna happen with Yokai Watch 3. if anyone, it'd be Nintendo who'd have an interest in putting out a 3DS game in 2018

OP
OP
BlueRose

BlueRose

Oct 25, 2017
that does call to question what's gonna happen with Yokai Watch 3. if anyone, it'd be Nintendo who'd have an interest in putting out a 3DS game in 2018
Yo-Kai Watch 3 would be a likely candidate for localisation. There is already an established Western audience for the game that has potential for positive growth, especially when competition is limited.

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
I'm definitely interested in seeing what it's all about, especially the game. There are certain aspects of YW that appeal to me more than something like Pokemon, like its world, general aesthetic, and the way you interact with Yo-kai, so I'm always down for more. Sucks that it already seems to be on the downswing in the U.S., what with things like the entire anime dub cast getting re-cast and pretty much no information about YW3 as of yet.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yo-Kai Watch 3 would be a likely candidate for localisation. There is already an established Western audience for the game that has potential for positive growth, especially when competition is limited.

But how will they do a game where the main apeal of this instalment is US Yokai when the localization is already set in the us?

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
This better be Switch and/or PS4. If they try to shoehorn mobile again i expect another Inazuma Eleven situation with the game looking disappointing on consoles.

Hell they didn't even managed to released the first games on mobile yet, so in could see this one being console only.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
About time they rebooted this ancient, almost five year old series.

I really loved Yokai Watch 2 but could not get into 3. The series has some amazing ideas but also frustrating elements. Curious to see the future of the series.