• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I see more and more people doing home office, and just spending more time at home in general. But socializing and having fun is important too, and I feel like Animal Crossing can fill that necessity to many of us - while still being safe!

Will you be living a second life in Animal Crossing starting next week? Do you think your play habits will change as the virus continues to spread here in the west?

cdm00

The Fallen
Dec 5, 2018
New horizons is literally coming out at the perfect time possible to be frank

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
If you want to socialize there are hundreds of better games out there than Animal Crossing for that.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I would rather my Animal Crossing world not be clouded by the fact that my actual world is fucked.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Sure, a game without proper, normal voice chat or keyboard support - the best online game to hang out with friends :P

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Kotaku: How a Nintendo underdog release became a juggernaut due to the pandemic viral spread.

Despite millions of sales across half a dozen franchise releases over two decades on popular console platforms, Animal Crossing surprisingly never really caught the attention of the general public, until now...

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
How is this thread freaking some of you people out?

A lot of people won't be able to socialize anytime soon so why not hang out with friends online in Animal Crossing. It literally could have been any other game except it's animal crossing, a life sim.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
If it ever gets to a point where we have no choice but to self-quarantine, there are worse ways to spend the day than playing Animal Crossing lol.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was going to be living a second life in Animal Crossing anyway.

Scratch that, my primary life will be in AC and my secondary life will be the one that I'm typing this in.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I realized my mistake and edited. Still incredibly cumbersome. If you want to socialize with other people, Animal Crossing is quite far down the totem pole.
Using a phone keyboard to message your friends honestly feels more natural to me at this point than a full keyboard. Obviously the ideal situation would be to support both but I'm not too bothered about it.

I'll probably have discord up on another monitor as well so that helps too

OP
OP

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
This is in very poor taste
I didn't post this thread as a joke. If you read it that way, that's on you bro.

I have been doing a lot of home office lately and my business trip to London is on the verge of being cancelled. That means free time at home and I'll probably be playing Animal Crossing more than I thought I would.

But yeah you can invest that time in other games too. I considered FFXIV but AC is new meat.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I'm not really relating to the perspective of those who think this thread is odd or offensive. People are spending less time out because of the virus, and a game that people dump tons of hours into and get into the habit of playing daily is releasing in 8 days. Doesn't really seem like that odd or cruel of a thread concept.

I already planned to play a ton of AC, so I don't think my plan has changed.
Rather go outside and get corona tbh.
That's because you're a villain.
Richaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaard!!!

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Capitalizing on death and suffering + corporate cheerleading + celebrating social isolation = bothering way more people than just Era
I'm really not sure how you get that from this at all.
They're basically saying. "Wow sucks that we're all
Social distancing. Will you be diving deeper into
AC to keep "social"?
It's harmless. Y'all look for offenses too much, sometimes.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
Capitalizing on death and suffering + corporate cheerleading + celebrating social isolation = bothering way more people than just Era

I'm not seeing anything remotely close to that in the OP.

People being isolated due to quarantines is a reality and Animal Crossing is a fantastic game to get lost in and forget about the fact that you're in a pretty shit situation. Like many have said, they'd do the same without the virus pandemic. Mentioning that this game is coming up for those that are unfortunately stuck in isolation might give them something to look forward to. I know I'd be looking forward to it if I were shut in all day.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What? How is the OP trying to capitalize on death and suffering in any way, shape or Form?
This is quite the stretch.

I'm not seeing anything remotely close to that in the OP.

People being isolated due to quarantines is a reality and Animal Crossing is a fantastic game to get lost in and forget about the fact that you're in a pretty shit situation. Like many have said, they'd do the same without the virus pandemic. Mentioning that this game is coming up for those that are unfortunately stuck in isolation might give them something to look forward to. I know I'd be looking forward to it if I were shut in all day.
I'm looking forward to it as well, and I'm in day 1. I also said that I don't think OP was saying any of that on purpose. I was offering an explanation on the subtext causing so many people to find this thread strange and uncomfortable.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I'm looking forward to it as well, and I'm in day 1. I also said that I don't think OP was saying any of that on purpose. I was offering an explanation on the subtext causing so many people to find this thread strange and uncomfortable.

Well, cool that you are in day 1?

Even if some people feel uncomfortable (as it's touching a uncomfortable subject) no one hinted at the fact that the OP is capitalizing on the dead and suffering which is an insane accusation to make especially with the way the OP is written. To then say that you are offering an explanation for people that can actually talk for themselves is rather dubious as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.