• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017

Good to see Changi Airport being pro-active in informing the public about their precautionary measures.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
Nurses performing this swab test must get covered with phlegm and mucus stuff all over... :o
It's a very high risk procedure. The potential to infect the tester or transfer infection between patients is going to be pretty high. I'm not surprised a lot of medical staff are getting infected. Especially if there's a shortage of masks/gloves/goggles/aprons or whatever.
I really hope the testers are both thoroughly protecting themselves and thoroughly disinfecting/replacing their kit between tests.

It must be a nasty situation for hospital managers. If you diagnose symptomatically, you'll end up mixing coronavirus patients with other patients who have similar symptoms (influenza, pneumonia and other chest infections), which would be bad if they cross-infected each other.
If you do the proper testing, you've got to have all the right kit, be really careful and it will take a significant amount of nursing resources and logistics when a lot of people have to be tested.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
Unfortunately we are going to start seeing a lot more of this soon. We are experiencing the time delay to death and you can see that the deaths are starting to ramp up outside of Hubei. Pretty soon Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan will start experiencing deaths on a daily basis

Next couple of weeks are going to be critical. See that a taxi driver has been diagnosed as well, which aside from retail is probably the worst job I could think of if you're infected.

Deleted member 24097

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Unfortunately we are going to start seeing a lot more of this soon. We are experiencing the time delay to death and you can see that the deaths are starting to ramp up outside of Hubei. Pretty soon Hong Kong, Singapore, Japan will start experiencing deaths on a daily basis

Yes, it was just a matter of time unfortunately.

The cruise ship that's currently docked in Yokohama stopped near where I live (15 minutes drive) before it was quarantined. People who were potentially infected visited many touristic places, so mostly we're just waiting for the first infections to declare here.

Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and no one will have caught it.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017

That depends on whether or not Japan has this contained.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Just saw on TV a news flash saying the virus claimed its first death in Japan.
A woman in her 80s.

Edit:
NHK article about it.

www3.nhk.or.jp

新型コロナウイルス 神奈川の80代女性死亡 感染者死亡は国内初 | NHKニュース

神奈川県に住む80代の女性が死亡し、新型コロナウイルスに感染していたことがわかりました。国内で新型コロナウイルスの感染者…

Oh man, that doesn't sound good :(
*edit* developed symptoms on Jan 22 and was hospitalised on Feb 1, passed away either on the 12th or today I suppose, it's not stated there. The virus seems especially dangerous to older people.

English article:

www.channelnewsasia.com

Japan confirms its first COVID-19 death: Health minister

TOKYO: A woman in her 80s has become the first person with the COVID-19 to die in Japan, the country's health minister said on Thursday (Feb 13), ...

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Looks like a community outbreak is right around the corner then.

Yes, and it seems it takes weeks for the authorities to detect on-going outbreaks after they catch the first dozens of cases, so it's quite slow how this pandemic keeps progressing. I'm actually starting to get a bit worried because we haven't heard of a single case here in Mexico and other countries in Latin America. By the time the authorities start detecting potential outbreaks, we might already be in the third or fourth generation of the spread.

(The following Tweet speaks of the previously reported 4 cases. They are not new cases)

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, and it seems it takes weeks for the authorities to detect on-going outbreaks after they catch the first dozens of cases, so it's quite slow how this pandemic keeps progressing. I'm actually starting to get a bit worried because we haven't heard of a single case here in Mexico and other countries in Latin America. By the time the authorities start detecting potential outbreaks, we might already be in the third or fourth generation of the spread.

(The following Tweet speaks of the previously reported 4 cases. They are not new cases)

A TAXI DRIVER??!! And a surgeon?? Holy hell this is pretty bad . The taxi driver had to come into contact with 100s of people. Ffs.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017

There is no fucking way the Taxi Driver and Surgeon did not infect others based on their professions. This is really bad.

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
Going to be a challenge(if not impossible) to track down anyone and everyone who's been in contact with the taxi driver/surgeon, plus whoever infected them. Not good for Japan :-|

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
It's definitely looking like I will be cancelling my trip to Japan. With sources unknown and those individuals seeing many people per day, it's only a matter of weeks before all of those cases begin to flare up.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
www.straitstimes.com

Coronavirus: 8 new cases in Singapore, including 5 more linked to Grace Assembly church, 1 linked to DBS case

The new cases include a 54-year-old man who is a National University of Singapore professor. Read more at straitstimes.com.
5 new cases linked to the second church cluster, 2 more cases from the construction worksite cluster, and 1 family member of the DBS employee. Our reporting of cases in Singapore is probably the most detailed and specific case study of how this spreads in a dense modern city. It's not going to go away anytime soon. :(

It's so conflicting to hear reports from Singapore showing we may finally start to know how the virus spreads because one would wish this virus didn't make it to other countries. On one hand, it's a tragedy you guys have to deal with the virus right now, but on the other hand, it's a great chance to objectively study the virus, without China's obsessive compulsion to hide the truth. Stay safe in Singapore. I feel we're all eventually going to deal with similar situations in due time.

A TAXI DRIVER??!! And a surgeon?? Holy hell this is pretty bad . The taxi driver had to come into contact with 100s of people. Ffs.
There is no fucking way the Taxi Driver and Surgeon did not infect others based on their professions. This is really bad.

It's definitely not good news, but it's a good sign to see Japan is not hiding any data. That extra information is critical, and it also means they will let the country know what kind of measures to take at the right time.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017

I wonder how bad it's got to get in London before firms start asking people to work from home instead.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
It's so conflicting to hear reports from Singapore showing we may finally start to know how the virus spreads because one would wish this virus didn't make it to other countries. On one hand, it's a tragedy you guys have to deal with the virus right now, but on the other hand, it's a great chance to objectively study the virus, without China's obsessive compulsion to hide the truth. Stay safe in Singapore. I feel we're all eventually going to deal with similar situations in due time.

It's definitely not good news, but it's a good sign to see Japan is not hiding any data. That extra information is critical, and it also means they will let the country know what kind of measures to take at the right time.

I 100% agree with you. It's just heartbreaking when you see cases like these pop-up anywhere knowing that the lives of those affected are about to change for the worst in the next week or two. So many innocent people.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
The person that was diagnosed with corona in London came to AE in an Uber. Great! With a bit of bad luck this might now spread like wildfire. Might have infected people from a and e after not following advice from health officials.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
We'll probably find out in 1 to 2 weeks time how much worse the cases outside China will be, considering the incubation period and when the travel ban was enacted.

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
On the contrary, the Japanese government has been dragging it's feet on introducing full steps in stemming the spread, and this is the result. They took a bet and lost on how infectious this disease actually was, and they put the health of their economy and tourism sector over the safety of the country.

Sure, they're not going to lie about the number of infected, but they will and they have been underplaying the potential danger this outbreak will have to the rest of the country.

Mar 29, 2018
Oh man, that doesn't sound good :(
*edit* developed symptoms on Jan 22 and was hospitalised on Feb 1, passed away either on the 12th or today I suppose, it's not stated there. The virus seems especially dangerous to older people.

English article:

www.channelnewsasia.com

Japan confirms its first COVID-19 death: Health minister

TOKYO: A woman in her 80s has become the first person with the COVID-19 to die in Japan, the country's health minister said on Thursday (Feb 13), ...
Lines up with what that doctor said about 3 weeks being the decisive time span for whether it'll cause death or not. Basically always among the old or infirm though.

...the heck is this?

Paranoia, back watching and intra-community surveillance are important to a good police state

Yep. Itll accelerate people self quarantining and not taking risks with travel.

Also gonna EXPLODE xenophobia over there :/

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Paranoia, back watching and intra-community surveillance are important to a good police state

They're taking the most extreme measures lately. I mean:

On the contrary, the Japanese government has been dragging it's feet on introducing full steps in stemming the spread, and this is the result. They took a bet and lost on how infectious this disease actually was, and they put the health of their economy and tourism sector over the safety of the country.

Sure, they're not going to lie about the number of infected, but they will and they have been underplaying the potential danger this outbreak will have to the rest of the country.

I feel many of us living outside China share that same frustration. How many countries chose not to treat this virus as a potential threat that would inevitably become a worldwide issue. We could learn a lot from this experience for future pandemics, especially since the world is becoming smaller due to increased air travel and other means of transportation. I wonder what would be the best course of action in the foreseeable future, trying to minimize the economic impact while preventing further outbreaks abroad.

Last edited:

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
If this spreads like how it did in China, there is no way the Olympics will happen. Even if they do happen, the amount of people going will drop substantially.
I checked out of curiosity, and the modern Olympics has only ever been canceled 3 times, all 3 due to World War. Would be unprecedented for sure if this one gets canceled, but I'm guessing it may probably get delayed if the virus worsens :\

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
The person that was diagnosed with corona in London came to AE in an Uber. Great! With a bit of bad luck this might now spread like wildfire. Might have infected people from a and e after not following advice from health officials.

That hospital is too close to home, so 'welp' as the kids like to say. Apparently the person did call the NHS hotline but nobody knows why they didn't tell her to stay at home and wait for an ambulance to pick her up. (unless she's blatantly lying about the call)

I'm not one to panic about shit like this as it's not helpful or constructive, but I will admit I've stopped eating out since the outbreak. Saved me some money too though, so it's working out!

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Those Chinese local officials are always about KPI that the top care about. They need to make themselves look good to the central government.

The top want stability? Let's lock down any dissidents regardless of merit.
The top want growth? Let's build massive real estate project that looks good on GDP but stay empty.
The top want to reduce pollution? Let's take away people's coal stove and who cares if they cannot keep warm in the winter.
The top want the epidemic under control? Let's lock everyone down so no one can leave.

There are countless example like that. The local official knows they can get away with the people but not the party. It also doesn't help that CCP likes to rotate local officials to different places so that no one can build a "base" that can challenge the central government.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Seems to still be quite a bit of denial about this. I'm not sure of the current estimations but just talking about making minor preparations like having non-perishable foods just invites ridicule from people.

I feel like people are determined not to imagine that this could become serious.

Greenpaint

Oct 30, 2017
Seems to still be quite a bit of denial about this. I'm not sure of the current estimations but just talking about making minor preparations like having non-perishable foods just invites ridicule from people.

I feel like people are determined not to imagine that this could become serious.

These days media & social media have a tendency to make everything sound like a world-ending problem that is going to destroy everything. People have gotten used to this media tone of voice and have stopped taking any of it seriously.

Crying wolf a few too many times and all that.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Most of news in twitter are probably trash.

Anyway it's nothing new, many city already "ban" people from leaving home unless necessary, they just made it sound more sensationalist.

Total ban it's just unrealistic and not enforceable.

It's not hyperbole or sensationalism. There's literally an official Wartime Status Order:

QKDrBJ6.png

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely looking like I will be cancelling my trip to Japan. With sources unknown and those individuals seeing many people per day, it's only a matter of weeks before all of those cases begin to flare up.
Ugh ours are at the same time and my hotel is nonrefundable, and I believe there's a $300 fee to cancel the flight. :( It seems like definite fuckery if a taxi driver is getting it AND they don't know how. I may need to take a taxi on my trip! If it gets worse, I really hope airlines and hotels offer refunds or at least vouchers for future use. I really don't want to cancel but these new cases are quite concerning. Currently JAL is only offering fee-free refunds for Chinese routes.

If I don't go, I might book a trip domestically. I really was looking forward to this. :(

Last edited:

spookyghost

Oct 28, 2017
Saw an almost surreal amount of face masks in Istanbul airport yesterday, people seem very scared.

Have had 3 weeks of work in Asia for March cancelled and work in Australia/NZ rerouted to avoid the usual Changi stopover, replaced by Dubai/Doha.

Will be gutted if there's going to be a major outbreak in London anyway as I may have work cancelled for all of April too and as I'm self employed, no work = no pay.

How are people protecting themselves during travel?

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
These days media & social media have a tendency to make everything sound like a world-ending problem that is going to destroy everything. People have gotten used to this media tone of voice and have stopped taking any of it seriously.

Crying wolf a few too many times and all that.
Like in my own case I'm just talking about taking some very minor steps for the slight possibility of things being bad. In comes the 'where's your tin foil hat' brigade.

I'm actually more concerned for who I could give it to than my own health. It's just an annoying attitude to me. I don't actually have a proper social media presence tho so I miss out on some of these hashtags that people follow (co-worker was asking about WWIII after the Iran assassination a few weeks back)

elty

Oct 31, 2017
I think it is good that China released the clinically diagnosed number. However I think they should backdate those case to maybe the CT scan date or the initial diagnosed date. Right now every case just come at once and you cannot really use it to analyze trend.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Ugh ours are at the same time and my hotel is nonrefundable, and I believe there's a $300 fee to cancel the flight. :( It seems like definite fuckery if a taxi driver is getting it AND they don't know how. I may need to take a taxi on my trip! If it gets worse, I really hope airlines and hotels offer refunds or at least vouchers for future use. I really don't want to cancel but these new cases are quite concerning. Currently JAL is only offering fee-free refunds for Chinese routes.

If I don't go, I might book a trip domestically. I really was looking forward to this. :(

Yep, ANA isn't refunding flights at this time, so I may be fucked out of $750 — which is frustrating. I just want to delay the trip until September or October (More-than likely October), so I'm really hoping they allow me to get a voucher or something here soon. I can get my money back on the hostels and possibly my Southwest flights (those might just be a voucher).

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf was this posted?
www.channelnewsasia.com

US health authority shipped faulty coronavirus test kits across country: Official

WASHINGTON: A number of test kits sent out by United States health authorities to labs across the country to diagnose the deadly novel coronavirus are faulty, a senior official said on Wednesday (Feb 12).The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) began shipping 200 test kits nation

A number of test kits sent out by United States health authorities to labs across the country to diagnose the deadly novel coronavirus are faulty, a senior official said on Wednesday (Feb 12).

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) began shipping 200 test kits nationwide on Feb 5 to speed up the diagnosis of US cases of COVID-19, which currently number at 13.

But the labs reported that while performing a verification procedure they realised the kits were returning inconclusive results, meaning neither positive nor negative, said senior CDC official Nancy Messonnier.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, ANA isn't refunding flights at this time, so I may be fucked out of $750 — which is frustrating. I just want to delay the trip until September or October (More-than likely October), so I'm really hoping they allow me to get a voucher or something here soon. I can get my money back on the hostels and possibly my Southwest flights (those might just be a voucher).
I'll be out $1200 if policies don't change or I can't convince them to give me a break. $300 flight cancellation fee+$900 6-night hotel stay. Can I afford it? Yes, but it would break my damn heart. This was a dream trip for me.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be out $1200 if policies don't change or I can't convince them to give me a break. $300 flight cancellation fee+$900 6-night hotel stay. Can I afford it? Yes, but it would break my damn heart. This was a dream trip for me.

Wait until the last minute to cancel then, maybe policies will change or stuff will improve

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia

You can try contacting them to see if they can reschedule the flight I suppose? Cite the coronavirus. AFAIK right now most flights only give free refund/ reschedule for the flights to Wuhan/ China, but if the cases get worse in Japan you may have a case. They may yet to change the policy.

Luckily for my upcoming May trip all the accomodation I've booked so far are free to cancel so I'm not too worried yet. Although my tickets are non refundable :\

Status
Not open for further replies.