• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I'll be out $1200 if policies don't change or I can't convince them to give me a break. $300 flight cancellation fee+$900 6-night hotel stay. Can I afford it? Yes, but it would break my damn heart. This was a dream trip for me.

I'm right there right you, my friend. Been dreaming of going to Japan since I was a kid and seeing this opportunity get crushed because of a virus (of all the times for it to happen, it happens now) is heartbreaking. I know I'll have other chances in life, but this was a moment where I was able to afford it because of a great bonus they I earned at work and was able to do this trip. I just hope these airlines allow us to delay them until later this year for no cost, but I'm feeling like they won't budget.

You can try contacting them to see if they can reschedule the flight I suppose? Cite the coronavirus. AFAIK right now most flights only give free refund/ reschedule for the flights to Wuhan/ China, but if the cases get worse in Japan you may have a case. They may yet to change the policy.

Luckily for my upcoming May trip all the accomodation I've booked so far are free to cancel so I'm not too worried yet. Although my tickets are non refundable :\

Absolutely. I will be waiting until late minute before I reach out and cancel, as it's almost guaranteed at this point for Japan to have it spread all over due to the recent news. The travel industry has to adapt to this, or there will be a huge amount of pissed off people.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I'm right there right you, my friend. Been dreaming of going to Japan since I was a kid and seeing this opportunity get crushed because of a virus (of all the times for it to happen, it happens now) is heartbreaking. I know I'll have other chances in life, but this was a moment where I was able to afford it because of a great bonus they I earned at work and was able to do this trip. I just hope these airlines allow us to delay them until later this year for no cost, but I'm feeling like they won't budget.
I've been twice before, but it's been 10 years, and this would be my first trip to Tokyo Disney as well as by myself.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not hyperbole or sensationalism. There's literally an official Wartime Status Order:

QKDrBJ6.png

I mean, it's not directed to all citizen, but only party member.

I'm not saying there is no curfew going around, just that the title sound weirdly a click bait.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Good to see Changi Airport being pro-active in informing the public about their precautionary measures.

I was at that airport about a week ago. Seem's like they've definitely stepped it up. When I went I noticed they had body heat monitors with people operating them, looking for folks with symptoms for the Coronavirus.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Given the number of Chinese immigrants in Canada, the current case # looks too low to be true....

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Given the number of Chinese immigrants in Canada, the current case # looks too low to be true....

Yea, this is weird to me. I mean, the good news, the London case has recovered, and the two in Toronto are doing well in self-quarantine. I think the BC cases are mild so far as well. But we only have 7 confirmed cases?

I suspect it's going around, but if it's mostly mild here, people will think they have a bad cold or flu and not get tested. It is still flu season.

Also, for my friends and family in Toronto, you only go to the hospital if you really feel sick. No one I know goes to emergency for a flu like illness, unless they have a really high fever or can't breathe.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Yea, this is weird to me. I mean, the good news, the London case has recovered, and the two in Toronto are doing well in self-quarantine. I think the BC cases are mild so far as well. But we only have 7 confirmed cases?

I suspect it's going around, but if it's mostly mild here, people will think they have a bad cold or flu and not get tested. It is still flu season.

This seems rather implausible. This disease is more serious than a flu AND spread faster. If it is already going around that there should be at least a few that is sick enough to require hospitalization, and at that point they can trace more cases with mild symptoms.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
uhm they had that stuff already in place last month.

Well I guess I didn't see it then. Was in Singapore multiple times since January 6th, and had two layovers roughly 5-6 hours where I was just walking around exploring the airport.

edit: this was what I saw in my most recent visit. Didn't see it last month.

Last edited:

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
New cases found in London Lewisham ,very close to my home.

Man, I have to travel by tube for at least 1 hour every day from southeast to west London. With that amount of people squeeze into tiny train car, it's just a matter of time before this thing get spread out uncontrollably. Imagine for one unknown infected person get into there...

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Welp going to Tokyo direct from Sydney in April for 9 days (literally been planning the trip for a year as a much needed holiday).

this is escalating and not slowing down so think ive got to cancel and pray for a refund 😟
If you are immunocompromised then maybe. I think you can wait a bit longer to see if it trends down.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017

Also, for my friends and family in Toronto, you only go to the hospital if you really feel sick. No one I know goes to emergency for a flu like illness, unless they have a really high fever or can't breathe.

None of this is the case. ERs across the GTA have been gridlock'd for months. Gridlock is common in the GTA and people go to the ER for everything around here. There is tons of flu and corona testing is active as my wife has done it. Maybe there are a few cases incubating who knows but based on testing large sample sizes there have only been a few cases.

Maybe your family never goes to the ER but census would show that that is not common behaviour around here.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
None of this is the case. ERs across the GTA have been gridlock'd for months. Gridlock is common in the GTA and people go to the ER for everything around here. There is tons of flu and corona testing is active as my wife has done it. Maybe there are a few cases incubating who knows but based on testing large sample sizes there have only been a few cases.

Maybe your family never goes to the ER but census would show that that is not common behaviour around here.
Some people go to ER for the dumbest of reasons.

My family lived a 3 minute drive from the ER, and we'd only go if it were an actual emergency.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
We are truly fucked.

Eh quite a few of the London cases have already recovered and the NHS has put out almost all the stops currently available to prep for a possible outbreak of the virus.

Unless you have respiratory issues, and then the qualifier is that you are old or infirm, there isn't much point in worrying, tbh. If you are not old and relatively healthy, the virus should not concern you much. If you do get it, follow the procedures already laid out.

The person who called the uber is totally fucked though. Pray their name does not get released. Read it was a Chinese national, might have to low key leave the country once they have recovered. No way people will leave them in peace. Was a fucking stupid way if doing things though,frankly.

Oh and let's not post fucking tweets from fox news correspondents.

Seriously, not everyone with a blue tick is a fucking voice worth listening to. Check the sources please.

The fucking CCP I trust more then fox news, and its coresspondents.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Some people go to ER for the dumbest of reasons.

My family lived a 3 minute drive from the ER, and we'd only go if it were an actual emergency.

That's the way it should be but it is no hyperbole that here in the GTA people go for literally anything. The system wishes there were more people like you but it's free and of course it's abused heavily.

Deaf Spacker

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
There probably is no easy way to actually enforce this but I wish for something this serious/developing there were more concrete consequences for people who knowingly put others in danger for selfish reasons.
Too harsh to imagine that she didn't know the local emergency number and just used her, well, smartphone?

Apparently she told the 111 service and they told her to wait for an ambulance, so god knows why she decided to do what she did.

Mar 29, 2018
It's definitely looking like I will be cancelling my trip to Japan. With sources unknown and those individuals seeing many people per day, it's only a matter of weeks before all of those cases begin to flare up.
Ugh ours are at the same time and my hotel is nonrefundable, and I believe there's a $300 fee to cancel the flight. :( It seems like definite fuckery if a taxi driver is getting it AND they don't know how. I may need to take a taxi on my trip! If it gets worse, I really hope airlines and hotels offer refunds or at least vouchers for future use. I really don't want to cancel but these new cases are quite concerning. Currently JAL is only offering fee-free refunds for Chinese routes.

If I don't go, I might book a trip domestically. I really was looking forward to this. :(
A few things:
1. First world countries (like Japan) will only get stricter and safer in coming weeks. Anyone who MIGHT be infected will self quarantine. The hospitals and enforcements will be top quality. There won't be potentially infected walking around everywhere
2. To be cynical, things will be cheaper and quieter than ever for this period. Your chances of getting infected won't be high because a fraction the people will be on planes, on trains, on the street, etc. You'll get total, unprecedented, never-again access and quiet and peace when seeing sights. Someone earlier in the thread already commented some typically swamped Japanese temple is literally empty.
3. Practice good hygiene and have a face mask you're probably good anyway
4. It's very likely things will be quieter by then. The only place with a serious outbreak currently is China, and it's likely that only second/third world countries will be affected as such
5. The virus is only really a true danger if you're old or infirm (I.e. immunosuppressed).

If the latter is the case, then that's fair enough. It's the only real reason I can think it's actually worth being seriously worried about this.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
A few things:
1. First world countries (like Japan) will only get stricter and safer in coming weeks. Anyone who MIGHT be infected will self quarantine. The hospitals and enforcements will be top quality. There won't be potentially infected walking around everywhere
2. To be cynical, things will be cheaper and quieter than ever for this period. Your chances of getting infected won't be high because a fraction the people will be on planes, on trains, on the street, etc. You'll get total, unprecedented, never-again access and quiet and peace when seeing sights. Someone earlier in the thread already commented some typically swamped Japanese temple is literally empty.
4. It's very likely things will be quieter by then. The only place with a serious outbreak currently is China, and it's likely that only second/third world countries will be affected as such
5. The virus is only really a true danger if you're old or infirm (I.e. immunosuppressed).

If the latter is the case, then that's fair enough. It's the only real reason I can think it's actually worth being seriously worried about this.

My concern is that I have Asthma, but other than that I am healthy. I just worry about infecting those that live with me and others who have weakened lungs and such. I'm hoping like hell this calms down for Japan, but it's hard to tell this early.

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong has another dinner related cluster - 5/13 people are now tested positive. The last one was 11/19 in a hot pot / BBQ dinner gathering.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
So my co worker that is a bit of a conspiracy theorist said that he believes there is a possibility this virus could be a bio weapon. Something about markers being found in the virus. Idk. It's fun talking to him.

He doesn't get his flu vaccine either so...

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
A few things:

While I agree with you, I also fear the people are more openly racist towards me because of my Chinese ethnicity.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017

Absolutely. I will be waiting until late minute before I reach out and cancel, as it's almost guaranteed at this point for Japan to have it spread all over due to the recent news. The travel industry has to adapt to this, or there will be a huge amount of pissed off people.
I feel so bad for you guys. I was just this past September for my honeymoon & it was everything that I wanted it to be & more. I really hope it works out for you in the future. Japan is beautiful.

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
Yea my immediate thought after the outbreak was that Canada would be one of the first countries in the west to have a rapid increase in infection rates.

Bizzare. Good news, but bizarre.

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm due to go to Disney World from London in May. Not expecting disruption to it just yet, but absolutely got that creeping feeling this virus will screw it up somewhere down the line, especially after I already reorganised the trip from last year due to Hurricane Dorian (which, of course, ended up scraping by & missing...). Of course, there are bigger hardships that are/would be out there due to any existing or possible future travel disruption but... Selfishly, it would stink.

cjbenny

Oct 29, 2017
Took the words from my mouth Shadow. I have an internship opportunity in Japan that's partnered with my college and I've been saving to pay for tuition/necessities these past few months (it starts at the end of May but I intended to go a few weeks early to explore). I'm waiting alongside you my friend, hopefully we might see signs of improvement by then. Japan has also been one of those dream trips of mine for so long.

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
I won't speculate about the eventual outcome as Canada goes, but it's much less densely populated than many of China and Japan's urban centers, and has a population roughly equivalent to the state of California. Disease outbreak could necessarily evolve differently here.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
That doesn't sound unrealistic :( sorry pal.
Haha, it's ok. Having the Swiss citizenship helps a lot in those cases. The Japanese also aren't actually that good at guessing who's Chinese and who's not anyway, I've experienced several times how they thought I'm Japanese and in one case Korean.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
More people need to understand what walk-in clinics are for.

People want answers right away. Get a test done at a clinic for anything you wait days for an answer and they might just end up sending you to ER. So people just go to the ER to get test results that day. I understand it with flu because you can't be too careful with that. If you are feverish and in a threat demo then you go to the ER absolutely. The problem is people that have indigestion or a headache for an afternoon. Or people that have shoulder pain thinking they are having a heart attack.

Mar 29, 2018
Haha, it's ok. Having the Swiss citizenship helps a lot in those cases. The Japanese also aren't actually that good at guessing who's Chinese and who's not anyway, I've experienced several times how they thought I'm Japanese and in one case Korean.
Lol, part of me wanted to ask about that but didn't want to be presumptuous/potentially racist 😂

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I won't speculate about the eventual outcome as Canada goes, but it's much less densely populated than many of China and Japan's urban centers, and has a population roughly equivalent to the state of California. Disease outbreak could necessarily evolve differently here.
Toronto is the 4th most populous city in North America, and it's been pretty much a non-event here. We've had three cases of it, two of them discovered a couple of weeks ago, and that's about it so far. If our crowded and extensive transit system hasn't spread it yet, I have my doubts about any major impact.

elty

Oct 31, 2017

But if you look at all the cluster case in HK/Singapore/Germany, then all you need is a few hours of dinner / meeting for it to spread to multiple people and their family.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017

I wonder how bad it's got to get in London before firms start asking people to work from home instead.

Looks like false alarm.

Guardian said:
The alleged presence of coronavirus that led to the closure of a GP practice in north London was a false alarm, it is understood.

Ritchie Street surgery in Islington blamed the virus for its decision to shut in a notice on its door.

It said: "Practice is closed until 14/02/2020 due to the coronavirus. Any patients that have the symptoms should call 111 and not come to the practice."

However, no patients from or staff at the practice have tested positive for the virus, it has now emerged.

It remains unclear why the surgery management took the decision to shut.

NHS officials believe that the management may have done so as a precaution after testing a patient who suspected that they may have contracted the virus.

With regards to the Uber driver who took the woman to hospital, Public Health England said

We are in contact with Uber to ensure the driver receives advice and information on what to do should they feel unwell in the coming days.

As the journey was less than 15 minutes, the driver did not have close sustained contact with the individual and are not considered high risk. We would like to thank Uber for their cooperation.

Status
Not open for further replies.