• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
I want to know what happens if someone who has this virus is then given the common cold. Will the two virus fight each other, possibly allowing the common cold to beat corona?

From what I've read, if you get a secondary infection (Influenza, for example) once you're diagnosed with corona-virus, your chances for surviving the disease drop significantly. Also, you could develop bacterial pneumonia as a result, so yeah, it fucking sucks.

The gigantic Mobile World Congress conference in Barcelona to be held this week was canceled. We were sending a large team, but too many vendors pulled out. A sensible move given the number of Chinese companies that were attending.

I agree that's reasonable at this point.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
I want to know what happens if someone who has this virus is then given the common cold. Will the two virus fight each other, possibly allowing the common cold to beat corona?
I'm not a doctor, but I'm assuming viruses are pretty different in structure than human/animal cells, and viruses usually have specific ways of interacting with cells to attack them. So it seems like they'd both just attack the host and make it worse for the immune system to deal with.

spookyduzt

Drive-In Mutant
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

ContentFlawedGalapagossealion-size_restricted.gif

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
All this talk about how highly infectious it is, but so far it's been unable to gain a significant foothold outside of China or cramped cruise ships.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Who are BNO news or whatever and why do they always have the scoop on latest infections? They're like 90% of the sources in this thread

It must be a large group of people digging all the news because they're literally the fist ones on Twitter to share the most recent developments when it comes to the corona-virus. They're a reliable source because their reports can be traced back to official sources, and they share the links on their dashboard.

Come on

Well.... We're waiting? Explain.

It's gone from being "mildly infectious" (with an R0 closer to the seasonal flu) to being theorized (not confirmed yet) as airborne, able to survive even on paper (money) for days, transmitted through fecal matter, fomites (hand-rails, metal, mouse+keyboards, door knobs, etc.) and god knows how many other things. Going from ~2 to ~6.6 is quite a jump, and it only reflects the most recent information about the virus. R0 is also tied to the location, so right now, if it's an R0 of 6.6 in China, that means even after the most extreme measures, the virus will keep spreading somehow.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2018
It must be a large group of people digging all the news because they're literally the fist ones on Twitter to share the most recent developments when it comes to the corona-virus. They're a reliable source because their reports can be traced back to official sources, and they share the links on their dashboard.
Good to hear about the official sources. Just really suspicious how quickly they seem to have all of it.

All this talk about how highly infectious it is, but so far it's been unable to gain a significant foothold outside of China or cramped cruise ships.
Incubation period averages 3 days but can allegedly go up to 24. There could be a thousand times more infected people we don't know about who are just walking around symptomless without a care in the world.

Not saying that IS the case. But at least a lot of the world have advanced knowledge and have managed to slow the spread, while China got rekt because the virus had weeks unchecked spread before they began quarantining.

Ryuuroden

Oct 25, 2017
I know this is just my limited perspective, but I kinda feel like the West isn't mobilizing enough, both with humanitarian assistance and in protecting its population against a spread. All feels a bit laisser-faire. Am I tripping?

my dads hospital in Ohio has been fitting all medical personnel with respirators. Stuff is happening behind the scenes.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Incubation period averages 3 days but can allegedly go up to 24. There could be a thousand times more infected people we don't know about who are just walking around symptomless without a care in the world.

Not saying that IS the case. But at least a lot of the world have advanced knowledge and have managed to slow the spread, while China got rekt because the virus had weeks unchecked spread before they began quarantining.
A few weeks ago an infected man showing symptoms flew back from China to Toronto on a plane full of people, and all he managed to infect was his wife.

Mar 29, 2018
Lol, that's exactly what I've seen people telling them on their posts... "How/Why are you so fast!?". But yeah, don't worry, they're reliable. When in doubt, you can go here to double check what they say: https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/ . You will always find a source.
Yeah I trust this is the case - ta!
A few weeks ago an infected man showing symptoms flew back from China to Toronto on a plane full of people, and all he managed to infect was his wife.
Infection rates are usually put at an average. On average, each person will infect two others (and some indicators say up to 7 others).

But this is just an average. Of course some people will infect 0. Some will infect 4. It's dependent on hundreds of things about the situation. Maybe this guy was careful with what he touched or coughing/sniffing. Maybe he happened not to need the bathroom for the duration, so didn't touch any random surfaces. Etc.

At the grass roots level, all this shit is still just probabilistic.

And if the incubation thing is more often 24 days than we think... Then that dude could have infected a ton more people 3 weeks ago and they still wouldn't show any symptoms until now.

nextJin

Mar 17, 2018
Georgia
Good to hear about the official sources. Just really suspicious how quickly they seem to have all of it.

There was a news report on Reuters iirc on the 24 days issue. It hasn't been peer reviewed but from what that doctor said usually that's from secondary infection misreporting.

Essentially the patient was exposed to the virus on day 0 and did not contract the virus, however sometime later was re-exposed and then caught it. Usually in the case of healthcare workers or situations where the information provided by the patient was very in-accurate (on this day I coughed in their face, but later did the same thing but failed to mention it).

Im sure we will find out more specifics but thought it was a reasonable explanation on the 24 days statement.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's gone from being "mildly infectious" (with an R0 closer to the seasonal flu) to being theorized (not confirmed yet) as airborne, able to survive even on paper (money) for days, transmitted through fecal matter, fomites (hand-rails, metal, mouse+keyboards, door knobs, etc.) and god knows how many other things.
whelp, cash money is almost required in a lot of Asian tourism/small purchases
Up to 6.6? Holy shit.
It's not been reviewed yet.

questionable

Banned
Jan 24, 2020
Haven't touched dirty cash in years, thank the flying spaghetti monster (his Holiness) for giving China, as a majority atheist country, its blessing with the invention of Wechat pay.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Really weird that Cambodia didn't at least quarantine them considering how many countries didn't want them to dock at all.

Haven't touched dirty cash in years, thank the flying spaghetti monster (his Holiness) for giving China, as a majority atheist country, its blessing with the invention of Wechat pay.
Credit card master race here.

Maybe this will finally stop my husband from preferring cash. Yes, hubby is half Japanese.

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Really weird that Cambodia didn't at least quarantine them considering how many countries didn't want them to dock at all.
On top of that, the country's dictator ended up shaking hands and kissing many of the disembarking passengers.

The silver lining here though is it might scare other world leaders into taking this more seriously.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Trump pushed for Cambodia to take the Westerdam. They thanked him, and he very publicly thanked the country. About 2,300 people disembarked and many probably flew on elsewhere.

2 days ago:

"We also extend our deepest gratitude to President Trump, Cambodia's Honorable Prime Minister Hun Sen, Canadian Foreign Minister [François-Philippe] Champagne, elected officials across the country and governments around the world for providing support and being effective allies in bringing our guests home," Stein Kruse, Group CEO, Holland America Group and Carnival UK, said in the statement.

1 day ago:

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Trump pushed for Cambodia to take the Westerdam. They thanked him, and he very publicly thanked the country. About 2,300 people disembarked and many probably flew on elsewhere.

2 days ago:

"We also extend our deepest gratitude to President Trump, Cambodia's Honorable Prime Minister Hun Sen, Canadian Foreign Minister [François-Philippe] Champagne, elected officials across the country and governments around the world for providing support and being effective allies in bringing our guests home," Stein Kruse, Group CEO, Holland America Group and Carnival UK, said in the statement.

1 day ago:

Fuck....

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
To be fair that lady's husband was not infected and he undoubtedly spent tons of time with her in cramped quarters.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

2 days ago:

1 day ago:

Pretty sure drumpf also will take credit for the Japan evac flights for the Diamond Princess are in about 20 hours
Only non-infected Americans will be allowed to go so we will get a sense of how prevalent the virus was spreading during the ship quarantine by the amount of Americans left behind.

To be fair that lady's husband was not infected and he undoubtedly spent tons of time with her in cramped quarters.
If you are talking about the Westerdam woman she was flagged for symptoms in the Malaysian airport and then tested, so who knows. It's also possible the husband got it and recovered earlier. We don't know the medical history of the couple.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Apparently some people from the Westerdam might have been flown back to the Netherlands before the news of the positive case came out, hopefully if those people were indeed brought back they've been quarantined just to be sure.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it leaves some genetic code behind that triggers that if it comes back in contact with it, it's a pretty strong evolutionary route it went down.

You get sick and survive and it makes you want to leave from the rest of the sick people taking with you whatever stranglers you have still spreading the virus more.

Any other viruses that have this trait?

Not exactly the same situation, but the Dengue virus causes something similar. There are four strains of the virus, and once you get one, you develop lifelong inmunity against it, however, you are at an increased risk of severe dengue if you contract any of the other three strains.

www.who.int

Dengue and severe dengue

WHO fact sheet dengue and severe dengue provides key facts, definition, provides information on global burden, transmission, characteristics, treatment, prevention and control and WHO response.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can literally feel Carnival's stock dropping. They own both ships: Westerdam and Diamond Princess

Apparently some people from the Westerdam might have been flown back to the Netherlands before the news of the positive case came out, hopefully if those people were indeed brought back they've been quarantined just to be sure.
I'm sure they are tracked or names in a database, but its going to be a mess.
Are you going to quarantine everyone else in that/their plane(s) too, and all the passengers of every connected flights etc etc.

Me thinks nothing happens proactively until 💩 hits fan

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm sure they are tracked or names in a database, but its going to be a mess.
Are you going to quarantine everyone else in that/their plane(s) too, and all the passengers of every connected flights etc etc.

Me thinks nothing happens proactively until 💩 hits fan
That's a good point. I assume Cambodia to Netherlands means 1 or 2 layovers. Which means food court, bathrooms, seats in the terminal, etc.

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
As per bno: 1,843 new cases and 139 new deaths in Hubei province
So I guess their « backlog « of cases is done?

Mar 29, 2018
There was a news report on Reuters iirc on the 24 days issue. It hasn't been peer reviewed but from what that doctor said usually that's from secondary infection misreporting.

Essentially the patient was exposed to the virus on day 0 and did not contract the virus, however sometime later was re-exposed and then caught it. Usually in the case of healthcare workers or situations where the information provided by the patient was very in-accurate (on this day I coughed in their face, but later did the same thing but failed to mention it).

Im sure we will find out more specifics but thought it was a reasonable explanation on the 24 days statement.
Didn't see this, that's really useful thanks

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
So if.. it can survive on paper and plastic for up to 5 days does that mean.. the mail... is fucked?
I m not convinced of real paper, lot of money is made from plastic or a mix (Shiny kind of sticky surface) for counterfeiting protection nowadays even in asia (except smaller notes, looking at my hk$,yuan and vietnamese dong most seem And feel a bit like plastic)

Status
Not open for further replies.