Coronavirus Discussion Thread (See Staff Post) [UPDATE: WHO declares global emergency. See threadmarks]

DickGrayson

Jan 30, 2020
ebola is highly contagious when a person is near death or at death. By then they have likely already been identified and quarantined. The difference here is that a person is highly contagious without any symptoms.
I don’t think it’s been confirmed that a person is contagious at all without symptoms. How would it spread without symptoms? Through touch contact probably, close relatives and loved ones would be most at risk but they would still have to come in contact with the virus somehow. We know it’s not airborne and without symptoms people aren’t coughing or sneezing so the only way would be if an asymptomatic person has a large enough viral load to NOT produce symptoms but transfer enough of the virus through incidental contact. It seems highly unlikely.

sNtd

Oct 24, 2018
I don’t think it’s been confirmed that a person is contagious at all without symptoms. How would it spread without symptoms? Through touch contact probably, close relatives and loved ones would be most at risk but they would still have to come in contact with the virus somehow. We know it’s not airborne and without symptoms people aren’t coughing or sneezing so the only way would be if an asymptomatic person has a large enough viral load to NOT produce symptoms but transfer enough of the virus through incidental contact. It seems highly unlikely.
Maybe through saliva and sweat? Seems like some severe outbreaks in China and Japan originated from sharing food (Diamond Princess, the taxi drivers new year party, Chinese new year party). Also in Singapore and South Korea there were outbreaks originating from religious gatherings.

DickGrayson

Jan 30, 2020
Maybe through saliva and sweat? Seems like some severe outbreaks in China and Japan originated from sharing food (Diamond Princess, the taxi drivers new year party, Chinese new year party). Also in Singapore and South Korea there were outbreaks originating from religious gatherings.
That’s what I meant by incidental contact. An infected asymptomatic person would have to have a large enough viral load to infect via saliva (or other bodily fluids) but not large enough to cause symptoms. Other viruses do this, but I don’t think we have enough evidence yet to say that COVID does this, much less to say that it’s highly infectious while a person is asymptomatic.

Ether_Snake

Oct 29, 2017
Kind of weird though, if it is contagious before symptoms show up then the symptoms wouldn’t be necessary for it to spread, which the symptoms would usually be for. Coughs and sneeze are to help it spread.

DickGrayson

Jan 30, 2020
I think if it is able to spread asymptomatically it would have to be due to repeated exposure with someone’s bodily fluid who is on the verge of symptoms with some kind of immunodepressive comorbidity.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
That’s what I meant by incidental contact. An infected asymptomatic person would have to have a large enough viral load to infect via saliva (or other bodily fluids) but not large enough to cause symptoms. Other viruses do this, but I don’t think we have enough evidence yet to say that COVID does this, much less to say that it’s highly infectious while a person is asymptomatic.
Based off of previous coronaviruses - SARS, MERS, and even the common cold -- it would definitely be strange if COVID-19 indeed spreads during the asymptomatic phase. I used to believe that it spread asymptomatically, but now I'm not so sure.

Sub-clinical symptoms, maybe... but that's another question altogether, especially with the supposed 80% infected showing mild symptoms.

Lishi

Oct 27, 2017
Well you still can say that Ebola symptom are debilitating and easy to recognize.
COVID19 symptom can be confused with the most commons illness present in the world.
Plenty of people here go around public transport with coughing, sore throat etc. and most of them don't even wear a mask.

sangreal

Oct 25, 2017
What are the odds..

This doesn't even rise to the level of "a coincidence". The only thing the fictional virus and COVID-19 share is an association with Wuhan -- a huge city. It's like being surprised that someone has written about biological warfare in NYC and then pointing to a common cold outbreak as proof of some precognition

Chikor

Oct 26, 2017
What are the odds..

And just when you least expect it, Dean Koontz.
Has that been verified by the way?
I would have imagine not a lot people in the west even heard of Wuhan in 1981.

Edit: oh okay, seem like it's true (the part about this actually being in the book obviously).

Heh, I wonder where Dean Koontz heard about Wuhan.
Edit2: thinking about it for more than 5 seconds he probably read somewhere that they have a microbiology lab there, which they did since the 50s.

Oct 30, 2017
And just when you least expect it, Dean Koontz.
Has that been verified by the way?
I would have imagine not a lot people in the west even heard of Wuhan in 1981.

Edit: oh okay, seem like it's true (the part about this actually being in the book obviously).

Heh, I wonder where Dean Koontz heard about Wuhan.
Edit2: thinking about it for more than 5 seconds he probably read somewhere that they have a microbiology lab there, which they did since the 50s.
Ow man! My mom has been spreading this around with end of the world conspiracy theories.

I used the same justifications you did to dismiss the thought.

Chikor

Oct 26, 2017
Ow man! My mom has been spreading this around with end of the world conspiracy theories.

I used the same justifications you did to dismiss the thought.
You know, I hate those conspiracy theories that are flying around the internet regarding the coronavirus, but I'm not gonna lie, I'm kinda dying to hear the theory that involve Dean fucking Koontz getting some secret inside info about Chinese bio-weapons programs.

p.s.
Was Demon Seed really a prophetic warning tale about the dangers of Alexa smart home?
Was the world just not read for the genius of Dean Koontz?

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
What are the odds..

Conspiracy junkies in the comments can't even seem to agree that this is a truthful portrayal of the contents, or that it was potentially rewritten several times over the years (that'd be one way to make yourself look more topical or a genius sage or something stupid like that):

"It's fake. The original paperback was published in 1981, had the Russians as the bad guys & the virus was called Gorki-400. "