• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
South Korea is really working hard to find every possible case they can. So it was true what was mentioned earlier, that the spike in cases could be the result of a significant increase in the number of people they're screening everyday.

Also, Iran:

www.reuters.com

U.S. prepares for coronavirus pandemic, school and business closures: health officials

U.S. health officials on Friday said they are preparing for the possibility of the spread of the new coronavirus through U.S. communities that would force closures of schools and businesses.
The United States has yet to see community spread of the virus that emerged in central China in late December. But health authorities are preparing medical personnel for the risk, Nancy Messonnier, an official with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) told reporters on a conference call.
The World Health Organization has warned that the window of opportunity to contain the international spread of the epidemic that has killed more than 2,200 people was closing, as the virus has spread to some 26 countries with a large cluster in South Korea and recent outbreaks in Iran, Lebanon and Italy

Last edited:

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
South Korea is really working hard to find every possible case they can. So it was true what was mentioned earlier, that the spike in cases could be the result of a significant increase in the number of people they're screening everyday.

The huge spike in people being tested is because of it being passed around in a cult church. Apparently they had someone fly in from the Wuhan branch and passed it amongst themselves for quite a while before then going out in the public and passing it to everyone else.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
In my initial read of this post, my mind didn't put in the space that's supposed to be here, so I thought that an N95 Maskat was a gun.
We may not have a vaccine yet but we got good ol fashioned lead!

Edit: Wait on a more serious note since numbers are climbing so rapidly in places like SK now are countries gonna start locking down flights to/from there too?

What exactly happens in the event that they announce this as a global pandemic?

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
I mean, it's not hard find it out?

New china cases and fatalities falling at a near daily rate while more and more people recover, Singapore that was rocked by this disease having almost as many recoveries as infected patients, cases in multiple countries falling and those infected recovering and beating this disease without any fatalities, governments around taking this fucking deadly disease seriously despite the snide remarks on here and whatever experimental treatment doctors and viral experts are giving the infected working pretty damn well.

That's without taking into effect the fucking quick breakthroughs the medical and research community have done in combating the disease.

Lots of doom mongering and fear mongering in this thread, which quelle surprise, is partly down the the usual era hyperbole and hysteria. From a purely interest point of view, the speed of how quickly breakthroughs are happening so this thing can be killed is insane. Medical science and Biotech has leaped generations since SARS.

Shit is serious, no doubt, but people are rising to meet the challenge effectively.

China has done a decent job because they have complete control over the people. With this spreading in Korea now, it becomes a lot more difficult to lock people in their homes per government order. That becomes very complicated to do in free, democratic countries. That's why it was so important to try to contain it in China, and treat those external cases with the upmost care, especially once we learned how contagious it is. Unfortunately, as we've seen in Japan, and now Korea, it didn't work.

As a resident of Seoul, I'm still hopeful and positive that this will be contained, but this large outbreak in Korea in the last 48 hours isn't very reassuring.

Deleted member 23075

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I m a bit in disbelief but I just did some grocery shopping to pad my pantry with non prrishable food for about 2 weeks plus water. Even bought a n95 maskat the local hardware store. Even if I don't use it here (canada,montreal)I ll probably put it on when I go visit my girlfriend in vietnam late april (if planes are still flying) . I m not usually pessimistic but this won't end well
Today I started to do the same. If a South Korean city of 2.5 million can be locked down overnight, it's only prudent to me to be prepared with food and medical supplies to carry my family for at least a couple of weeks.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
How Japan and SK have handled this whole ordeal is just mind boggling. The incompetence is off the charts.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
These motherfuckers!

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200222_03/

"NHK has learned that a large number of health ministry officials who boarded the cruise ship quarantined near Tokyo were allowed to return to their workplace without being tested for the new coronavirus. "

Dude... (!)

The huge spike in people being tested is because of it being passed around in a cult church. Apparently they had someone fly in from the Wuhan branch and passed it amongst themselves for quite a while before then going out in the public and passing it to everyone else.

Wait... Does that mean it was intentional? :|

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
How Japan and SK have handled this whole ordeal is just mind boggling. The incompetence is off the charts.
I'd say the SK government has handled this far better than Japan. The high numbers combined with the high number of people being tested means Korea is doing its best to weed this disease out.

I wouldn't be surprised if the infection rate in Japan is similar, yet the numbers are low because the government response has been far weaker.

Kaseoki

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Dude... (!)

Wait... Does that mean it was intentional? :|

Probably not at first. But there is a rumour going around that in order to rid their association with the virus (the huge spike is attributed to them), the cult has ordered followers to not attend their regular mass and go to regular churches and spread it there to make it a "church issue" rather than a "Shincheonji issue".

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
So we look to have serious community transmission in Iran and South Korea, with Japan not far behind. Iran one is worrying as that probably won't be contained.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
70? Wasn't it 34 cases? People are asking them if it was just a mistake on their part (CBS).

I just found this:

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.koreaherald.com

Korea's virus cases surge to 433 on church services, cluster outbreak at hospital

South Korea reported 229 new cases of the new coronavirus on Saturday, the largest spike in a single day since its first outbreak in late January, bringing the total number of infections in the nation to 433. The number of COVID-19 infections here has soared in the past few days, with most...
South Korea reported 142 new cases of the new coronavirus on Saturday, the largest spike in a single day, bringing the total number of infections in the nation to 346.
ruh roh

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Probably not at first. But there is a rumour going around that in order to rid their association with the virus (the huge spike is attributed to them), the cult has ordered followers to not attend their regular mass and go to regular churches and spread it there to make it a "church issue" rather than a "Shincheonji issue".

With cults, anything could happen, unfortunately. What you just said could explain why they're going to quarantine 9,000 members of that church.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
SK is doing a good job honestly all things considered. Testing as many people as humanly possible, shutting shit down, etc. There were barely any cases before this cult shit hit the fan.

Japan seems like a ticking time bomb. Let's see where they are two weeks out from letting the Diamond Princess passengers loose.

marches

Dec 18, 2018
With such an increase in the number of cases in Japan and S.Korea, I wonder why the Philippines has such a low number of confirmed cases. On the other hand, people under investigation has reached 597 but 455 has been discharged. Only 3 confirmed cases and 1 death so far.

We couldn't have gotten that lucky. I'm just scared waiting for the other shoe to drop. I live near an airport and there are a lot of Chinese tourist around my area. And my mom has COPD and diabetes and my grandma is 93 years old, both are especially vulnerable to the virus.

Has there been any sign that hot weather prevents the spread of the virus? Temperature around my area ranged from 24-32 degree C.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
If that was true there should be jail time or something for trying to intentionally spread this

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I'm more worried about this cult shit than the natural spread of a already fast to spread virus. We definitely have loonies in America who would do that.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
There's still deep and varied mistrust between the three, and no one wants to start a diplomatic incident by, say, blocking travel incoming from China, even if it was possibly the right thing to do objectively at one point. There are also the huge economic and tourism ties between them that no one wants disrupted.
Iran is a humanitarian crisis waiting to happen.
If this got to freaking Iran--and early on seemingly--There could be oddities like this in tons of other developing nations where there's just no way to ever test anyone, or less infrastructure to try to track everything in the first place.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
So it seems like the new cases in China seem to have steadily plateaued - is that about right?

Last edited:

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, the thought is to buy things you normally would use, and just use it and replenish as you go, that way you have non expired goods at all times.

That's a lot less likely to be adhered to than actually scheduling it out. Most people aren't going to keep an active rotation going like that, they're just going to go through the supply and then start buying JIT as usual.

People are a lot more likely to maintain emergency kits if they treat them as emergency kits, meaning as separate entities set aside from the normal food supply. The idea is to pull food out to use when it's a reasonable amount of time away from expiration and replacing it immediately.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017

How can they just... not go to work for 10 days? 50,000 people across 10 towns? What happens with their pay checks? Is this something only Americans worry about and Italy has their shit together for something like this? I keep thinking about how retail workers are going to suffer if/when this hits the US, companies here don't just... let people not come to work - even when they're sick, let alone as a preventative measure.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
China has done a decent job because they have complete control over the people. With this spreading in Korea now, it becomes a lot more difficult to lock people in their homes per government order. That becomes very complicated to do in free, democratic countries. That's why it was so important to try to contain it in China, and treat those external cases with the upmost care, especially once we learned how contagious it is. Unfortunately, as we've seen in Japan, and now Korea, it didn't work.

As a resident of Seoul, I'm still hopeful and positive that this will be contained, but this large outbreak in Korea in the last 48 hours isn't very reassuring.

I think you are underestimating what western country can do.
If there is political will the most country have laws that can do what China has done.

Ahhthe90s

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What's going to happen to Tokyo and the Olympics this summer if this isn't dealt with by then? Scary thought.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How can they just... not go to work for 10 days? 50,000 people across 10 towns? What happens with their pay checks? Is this something only Americans worry about and Italy has their shit together for something like this? I keep thinking about how retail workers are going to suffer if/when this hits the US, companies here don't just... let people not come to work - even when they're sick, let alone as a preventative measure.

In Italy normally you have unlimited sick leave (after a bit you will lose some % of a paycheck).
I think it's paid by the same institution that pays pension checks if the leave extends over x days.

Of course, it's not designed for something like this (such quantity) they will probably have to top up the fund from general taxation. Or just leave it in the red like politician like doing.

Sage

Oct 27, 2017
Japan
Vissel Kobe have their opening J-League match tomorrow and have banned the following due to the Coronavirus:
Songs
Chants
Flags
Support involving personal contact (eg putting arms around shoulders
Instruments
Megaphones

Basically they've ordered fans to watch the match in silence.

Status
Not open for further replies.