• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
In Italy normally you have unlimited sick leave (after a bit you will lose some % of a paycheck).
I think it's paid by the same institution that pays pension checks if the leave extends over x days.

Of course, it's not designed for something like this (such quantity) they will probably have to top up the fund from general taxation. Or just leave it in the red like politician like doing.
Daaaaaamn. C'mon America ;__;

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
For South Korea, I think it's safe to say we will notice another dramatic increase in numbers tomorrow, but again, that just reflects their increasing efforts at screening more and more people.

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How will these people get food? Its only a week, but still. Crap like this is why we are starting to store up food.

What's going to happen to Tokyo and the Olympics this summer if this isn't dealt with by then? Scary thought.
I bet we will see a lot of countries/athletes pulling out or events taking place with no crowds/audience. Even if things get better by then such an event seems like perfect storm to spread this thing all over the world at an even rapid pace which is terrifying unless they find some way to slow down or stop it by then.

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
So it seems like the new cases in China seem to have steadily plateaued - is that about right?
Instead of reading the numbers day to day, look at two other stats I recommend:

When will the school semester start again
When will the people's congress convene

for now these dates are still not determined yet, so I'd rather stay cautious for now

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What's going to happen to Tokyo and the Olympics this summer if this isn't dealt with by then? Scary thought.

This is an ongoing conversation right now. Really depends on how bad the situation is right now and if it gets worse rather than better. Japan will probably try to push for it to be cancelled if the situation doesn't get better.

Green Yoshi

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cologne (Germany)

Covid-19 hysteria: Protests in central Ukraine over, citizens under quarantine

<p>As <a href="https://112.international/society/situation-in-novi-sanzhary-remains-to-be-calm-correspondent-48777.html">the protests in Poltava region calmed down</a>, the National Guards are still working in the boosted security mode.</p> <p>The Ukrainian citizens who were evacuated from China...
ADeeC7x.gif

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...

Covid-19 hysteria: Protests in central Ukraine over, citizens under quarantine

<p>As <a href="https://112.international/society/situation-in-novi-sanzhary-remains-to-be-calm-correspondent-48777.html">the protests in Poltava region calmed down</a>, the National Guards are still working in the boosted security mode.</p> <p>The Ukrainian citizens who were evacuated from China...
ADeeC7x.gif
Aah, for once, Americans aren't leading the way in abject stupidity. USA! USA! USA!
...And yes I know we'll all panic here once there's a headline that sounds dramatic enough to panic over. But for now, I shall celebrate!

Jordan117

Oct 27, 2017
Alabammy
Any chance they'd just delay the Tokyo games to 2024 and push future games up four years accordingly? It would suck for Japan to sink that much investment and planning only to cancel the whole thing. Plus it would give the planning-stage cities more time to prepare.

Oct 25, 2017
Coronavirus incubation could be as long as 27 days, Chinese provincial government says

A 70-year-old man in China's Hubei Province was infected with coronavirus but did not show symptoms until 27 days later, the local government said on Saturday, meaning the virus' incubation period could be much longer than the presumed 14 days

www.yahoo.com

Coronavirus incubation could be as long as 27 days, Chinese provincial government says

A 70-year-old man in China's Hubei Province was infected with coronavirus but did not show symptoms until 27 days later, the local government said on Saturday, meaning the virus' incubation period could be much longer than the presumed 14 days. A longer incubation period could complicate...

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Cancelling the Olympics at all is a logistical nightmare, and Japan would be desperate to let the things go on given how much money they've had to sink into it. Something like a year delay is more likely than cancelling it outright. The only previous causes for cancellations were world war, so no one wants to see it happen. They'll probably need to make a decision within 3 months or so before things are irreversibly put in motion.
I wonder what will happen if it gets into North Korea. I can't imagine anyone infected would be well taken care of there :(
It's extremely possible there are already cases given travel considerations, and we'll probably never hear about the actual extent it might have there. Their health care isn't the absolute worst or anything, but they lack the means to test or track it properly. Even if they did, they have the only government censor on the planet stronger than the CCP.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Also the Tokyo Disney Resort is actually in Chiba, not Tokyo. So Tokyo's proclamation that major indoor events be canceled doesn't apply to them. But it does to Sanrio Puroland as that is in Tokyo and fully indoors.

This is not true. It only applies to indoor events hosted by the Tokyo Metropolitan Government themselves.

Sanrio decided to close Sanrio Puroland themselves. They also closed Harmonyland in Oita in Kyushu which they also own.

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
An ongoing conversation amongst who?

Japan, the Olympic committee, as well as communicating with WHO right now about the whole thing. I saw an article about it recently on Nippon.com about it, but having a bit of a hard time digging up the particular article.

NTV posted a video about it here on their English news site back on January 31, which while is a whole lot-of-nothing really, just that it's been discussed since about end of January and they're trying to take precautions right now. Right now, given the other cancellations of other major events and companies actively pulling out of various events, I'd hope if things don't improve, they'd make the right call like they are elsewhere. Just feels like this would be an absolutely disaster situation if they continue to move forward as planned if the situation doesn't get under control.

Mar 29, 2018
In my Scandinavian country, Chinese are quite well liked. I can't see this virus changing it even if/when it becomes a pandemic. My opinion is that any hate born out of this will come from people/groups that are already ..predisposed to that kind hate of foreigners.

I also think an economic impact will happen, but it will be slow enough that people won't associate it directly with the virus outbreak.

I guess you're right that the main thing it will do is embolden people who are already bigoted - but that can have a knock on effect where whole communities mobilise.

However, hard disagree about the economy. The waves are already hitting several markets. China is 20% of the world economy and several of their trade outputs are already down 90% thanks to the virus (car factories shutting down, etc). The impact is going to be huge and rapid. Not in the least to tourism.
This will definitely help push the recession even closer. What's most heartbreaking are the rising number of cases regarding sinophobia that have been occurring all over because people would rather be bigots and embrace needless fear-mongering over being a decent Human Being any day. Society sickens me.
It's pretty grim. Part of the reason I find the conspiracy theories around COVID hilarious. The Chinese government will know how much this will fuck them for years, decades to come. Why the hell would they do this?
This morning I felt severe anxiety and ended up not going :(

Just couldn't do it. Could barely sleep. I let fear get the best of me. Disappointed in myself.
Don't be disappointed. You have to listen to your brain, even when it gets freaked out and glitchy like that.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
And people yesterday were saying i was hyperbolic when I said we are fucked....that's 2 deaths already out of 30 confirmed cases.
I had the same fear yesterday. When I head about that single man, I feared it was the tip of the icerberg.
And now my family has been just contacted by the hospital because my grandmother has to be fastly hospitalized, after she did some analysis this morning because she has felt weak for the last days and found it difficult to breath... I am sure it is unrelated, but damn a terrible period is starting, from any point of view...

Last edited:

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Doesn't Italy have one of the oldest populations in the world, especially in villages and small towns? That would create a very bad recipe for the country.
Unfortunately, yes. The first victim, is fact, 78 years old. Most of the positive cases in Lombardia seem young people at the moment, though, because the 38-year-old man who is in critical conditions has an active social life (he runs, plays football, etc.), so his contacts are of course many and young too.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
www.yahoo.com

A 70-year-old man in China's Hubei Province was infected with coronavirus but did not show symptoms until 27 days later, the local government said on Saturday, meaning the virus' incubation period could be much longer than the presumed 14 days. A longer incubation period could complicate...

That's absolutely insane if true. If you mix that ~1 month incubation period with the fact it could spread while being asymptomatic, it's just a disaster.

Last edited:

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Coronavirus: asymptomatic Wuhan woman shows why outbreak 'will be hard to stop'

www.theguardian.com

Coronavirus: asymptomatic Wuhan woman shows why outbreak 'will be hard to stop'

Case study of 20-year-old who infected relatives despite not showing signs of illness – and testing negative – stokes global pandemic fears

A 20-year-old Chinese woman from Wuhan travelled hundreds of miles to another city where she is believed to have infected five relatives without showing signs of infection, scientists in China have said, offering fresh evidence that the new coronavirus can be spread asymptomatically.
According to the study, by Dr Meiyun Wang of the People's Hospital of Zhengzhou University and colleagues, the woman travelled 400 miles (650km) from Wuhan to Anyang in Henan province on 10 January and visited several relatives. When they started getting sick, doctors isolated the woman and tested her for coronavirus. Initially, the young woman tested negative for the virus, but a follow-up test was positive.
All five of her relatives developed Covid-19 pneumonia, but as of 11 February, the young woman still had not developed any symptoms, her chest CT remained normal and she had no fever, stomach or respiratory symptoms, such as cough or sore throat.
Scientists in the study were careful to qualify the conclusions by saying the evidence "suggested" the woman had infected her relatives. But they nevertheless warned that if the findings were replicated, "the prevention of Covid-19 infection could prove challenging".

Last edited:

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More and more cases not related to China.

www.koreaherald.com

Korea's virus cases surge to 433 on church services, cluster outbreak at hospital

South Korea reported 229 new cases of the new coronavirus on Saturday, the largest spike in a single day since its first outbreak in late January, bringing the total number of infections in the nation to 433. The number of COVID-19 infections here has soared in the past few days, with most...
what in the fuck 443 now?

Those temperature checks at airports literally doing no work

VikingJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
www.koreaherald.com

Korea's virus cases surge to 433 on church services, cluster outbreak at hospital

South Korea reported 229 new cases of the new coronavirus on Saturday, the largest spike in a single day since its first outbreak in late January, bringing the total number of infections in the nation to 433. The number of COVID-19 infections here has soared in the past few days, with most...

Given the mounting evidence this virus is spreading asymptotically, the effectiveness of temperature checks is going to be quite limited.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
www.koreaherald.com

This in particular:
Of the 229 new cases, 95 are related to Daenam Hospital in Cheongdo, where South Korea's first coronavirus fatality occurred, the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said.

So it's spreading in hospitals the same way it spread in Wuhan at the beginning. Those people are risking their lives to save hundreds of people. Deep respect for all of them.

Last edited:

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
So I live where the italian small outbreak happened, things are a little strange here. Everyone is just talking about coronavirus.
You know what's the real shit? People blaming government for "caring too much about racism" instead of caring about the disease. They REALLY have to put their fucking agenda over everything.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
So I live where the italian small outbreak happened, things are a little strange here. Everyone is just talking about coronavirus.
You know what's the real shit? People blaming government for "caring too much about racism" instead of caring about the disease. They REALLY have to put their fucking agenda over everything.
You're absolutely right. The situation is serious, everyone should collaborate. There isn't any purpose in trying to blame the governement or other peoples. It is just the moment either to act or to be silent at least, not to accuse and create more agitation.

Couchpotato

Nov 7, 2018
Do we yet have any data that supports that warmer spring temperatures will slow this thing down? I can't see this be contained as is without every country with major cases goes into full China-style lockdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.