• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My boyfriend and I are visiting his aunt this weekend and she just tested positive for H1N1 this afternoon. 😐 I don't think most people realize how widespread it is now. I think it's included in each year's flu vaccine. Glad you're feeling better; my sister had it two weeks ago and felt absolutely horrible for a while.

I had H1N1 years ago. Felt like shit for a couple of weeks with that one.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I caught H1N1 last year and I was absolutely miserable for week. I had my flu shot (not at full effect, since I got it days before I came down with the flu) and I don't want to think how much worse I'd felt if I hadn't had it. Even the doctor said I was lucky since that would shorten the time I felt like shit.

My brother caught it back when it first appeared in 2009 and he also felt like shit. It isn't a nice strain to caugh. Back then it was talked as the swine flu in the news, and it was quite a hot topic for a while. There was not fearmonging as now, though, since social media was just beginning and all the stuff about fake news wasn't as prevalent as it is now.

Hope they manage to get the situation in Italy under control soon, before it develops into a big outbreak.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I'm dying:

www.wcvb.com

Boston mayor formally asks Sony to reconsider pulling out of PAX East

Mayor Marty Walsh sent a letter to Sony's president and CEO after the entertainment giant pulled out of the gaming showcase over coronavirus concerns.

Shut the fuck up Marty. They didn't cancel because they fear that Boston is a hotbed or some shit. They are worried about the myriad of international visitors as well as travelers at the many airports their employees will need to go through to get to Boston.
Conventions are incubators for things like this. Tens of thousands of people from all over in close, sweaty quarters mingling about with less-than-ideal personal hygiene facilities available.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Conventions are incubators for things like this. Tens of thousands of people from all over in close, sweaty quarters mingling about with less-than-ideal personal hygiene facilities available.
Exactly! It's clear that the mayor cares more about $$$ than safety. Fucking awesome since I work in Boston.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
The Italian situation seems to have blown up rapidly. Do they have an undertanding of the root cause yet or are they still focusing on containment? our European head office is in Turin so not far from the affect area. Slightly worried about people travelling back and forth to our London office where I work - and I also have a scheduled trip there in a couple of weeks.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
The Italian situation seems to have blown up rapidly. Do they have an undertanding of the root cause yet or are they still focusing on containment? our European head office is in Turin so not far from the affect area. Slightly worried about people travelling back and forth to our London office where I work - and I also have a scheduled trip there in a couple of weeks.

We still didn't find the root of the cluster, but the government is taking very strong measures to contain it. The numbers are rising rapidly also because they're doing thousands of tests everyday. In a lot of cases, some situations that appeared to be a normal flu turned out to be a disease caused by corona virus. We have a case in Turin, but the person was in contact to the first italian guy to be hospitalized for the coronavirus.

The two deaths are also pretty different from each other. The first one (78 years old man) was already hospitalized for other diseases. The second one (70+ years old lady that died in her house) was also affected by other diseases and she resulted positive to coronavirus, but it's unclear what the virus actually did to her body.

What it's worrying to me is that a lot of cases are really misunderstood for normal or heavy cases of flu. That would explain why numbers are still low in some countries expected to have a bigger number of cases.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
We still didn't find the root of the cluster, but the government is taking very strong measures to contain it. The numbers are rising rapidly also because they're doing thousands of tests everyday. In a lot of cases, some situations that appeared to be a normal flu turned out to be a disease caused by corona virus. We have a case in Turin, but the person was in contact to the first italian guy to be hospitalized for the coronavirus.

The two deaths are also pretty different from each other. The first one (78 years old man) was already hospitalized for other diseases. The second one (70+ years old lady that died in her house) was also affected by other diseases and she resulted positive to coronavirus, but it's unclear what the virus actually did to her body.

What it's worrying to me is that a lot of cases are really misunderstood for normal or heavy cases of flu. That would explain why numbers are still low in some countries expected to have a bigger number of cases.
Considering how many positives SK and Italy are adding to their totals by testing so many people, I'm going to tinfoil hat for a second and wonder if Japan is deliberately undertesting to avoid increases in reported positives like SK and Italy. I mean they didn't test fucking Ministry of Health officials who were on the Diamond Princess because they said they wouldn't have enough workers if they tested positive and needed to quarantine them.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
www.taiwannews.com.tw

Chinese coronavirus patient reinfected 10 days after leaving hospital | Taiwan News | 2020-02-21 15:38:00

Health officials in China’s Sichuan confirm recovering patient tested positive for COVID-19.A Chinese patient who recently recovered from the Wuhan coronavirus has reportedly been infected a second time in Sichuan Province. | 2020-02-21 15:38:00

www.stcatharinesstandard.ca

Ontario couple have recovered but are still testing positive for coronavirus

Nose and throat swabs taken since the man was released from Sunnybrook hospital two weeks ago continue to show traces of coronavirus in both him and his wife, who was never hospitalized.

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
Update on Italy:

tg24.sky.it

Coronavirus, due vittime in Italia. 79 contagi in 5 regioni

Leggi su Sky TG24 l'articolo Coronavirus, due vittime in Italia. Salgono i contagi: sono 79 in 5 regioni

79 confirmed cases in five regions.

-54 Lombardia
-17 Veneto
-2 Emilia Romagna
-2 Lazio
-1 Piemonte

-33 hospitalized with symptoms.
-18 in ICU (critical).
-11 home quarantine (mild).

2 total deaths.
Did they start testing people who were already in hospital in bad condition thought to be something else ? And discovered thats covid. I would start by that not just contacts of positive cases

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Thanks for this. I poked around and there's a silver lining. Active cases are going down.

Kgf5jAS.png
This needed to get quoted again as it is great news, what largely the statistic (active cases) that actually matters.

Last edited:

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
www.taiwannews.com.tw

Chinese coronavirus patient reinfected 10 days after leaving hospital | Taiwan News | 2020-02-21 15:38:00

Health officials in China’s Sichuan confirm recovering patient tested positive for COVID-19.A Chinese patient who recently recovered from the Wuhan coronavirus has reportedly been infected a second time in Sichuan Province. | 2020-02-21 15:38:00

Nose and throat swabs taken since the man was released from Sunnybrook hospital two weeks ago continue to show traces of coronavirus in both him and his wife, who was never hospitalized.

Was wondering about that couple in Ontario, the first and second case. Good to hear they're feeling well, but worrisome that they still have the coronavirus in them. I would assume they could still infect people even after their symptoms/illness pass due to this? Perhaps this is why it's spreading so easily and fairly undetected.

Also good on them for remaining in isolation, and on Sunnybrook for keeping up testing.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
Did they start testing people who were already in hospital in bad condition thought to be something else ?

Yep. Some of the cases are among people already hospitalized. I guess that could explain the high number of critical patients among the ones being hospitalized with symptoms (I underline that this is only my guess).

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
It's +123, BNO was counting some from an earlier count
www.koreaherald.com

S. Korea reports 123 more coronavirus cases, 4th death

South Korea reported the fourth death from the new coronavirus and 123 new cases on Sunday morning, bringing the total number of infections here to 556. The fourth victim of COVID-19 was a 57-year-old man who had been hospitalized at Daenam Hospital in Cheongdo, North Gyeongsang Province. The...

Yep, you're right. Some additional info:

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Oh those friendly cultists.

I guess if they are all in isolation now new infections should drop
There might be a lag due to the incubation time. Wouldn't be surprised if we still see increases in the next several days.

Still I am mostly pleased with how SK is handling this. Japan could learn something from them.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Was wondering about that couple in Ontario, the first and second case. Good to hear they're feeling well, but worrisome that they still have the coronavirus in them. I would assume they could still infect people even after their symptoms/illness pass due to this? Perhaps this is why it's spreading so easily and fairly undetected.

Also good on them for remaining in isolation, and on Sunnybrook for keeping up testing.
Yeah as someone in Ontario I'm pretty happy they're not just being complacent after symptoms stop, and that no doctors have gotten infected here.

ValeYard

Oct 25, 2017
The news from Italy is grim. The 'p word' is getting bandied around more as I thought a few posts ago :(

If it's spread to Iran, Italy, South Korea, I don't see how it isn't forming pockets in other countries or am I being overly pessimistic?

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
Ghibli Musem in Japan is closed from 2/25-3/17:
www.ghibli-museum.jp

Temporary Closure from February 25th to March 17th, 2020 - Ghibli Museum, Mitaka

Temporary Closure from February 25th to March 17th, 2020。On Friday, February 21st, the City of Mitaka announced that it will act in accordance to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government's decision to cancel or postpone its major indoor events ...。

This is literally 5 minutes walk from my home.
Good to see some more preventative measures, though of course a shame for any tourists hoping to visit during those times.

Mar 3, 2019
www.taiwannews.com.tw

The possibility of reinfection is pretty crazy. I was reading that people who were reinfected were more vulnerable than the first time, possibly due to a depleted immune system/all the antiviral hiv medicines being used as well. That combined with secondary infections causing real harm while infected with Corona is pretty harrowing for the future, especially if this becomes a global pandemic

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Ontario couple presents a very interesting dilemma in terms of containing the spread. They both are still carrying the virus while showing no symptoms. Presumably, this could hold true for others who have recovered and are cleared from quarantine.

My biggest concern with this outbreak remains how quickly it can overwhelm even well prepared medical facilities. Early recovering patients seem to have been under continuous surveillance, received fluids when necessary, and had their symptoms treated. Nobody is postured to do that for even a city-sized population.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The Ontario couple presents a very interesting dilemma in terms of containing the spread. They both are still carrying the virus while showing no symptoms. Presumably, this could hold true for others who have recovered and are cleared from quarantine.

My biggest concern with this outbreak remains how quickly it can overwhelm even well prepared medical facilities. Early recovering patients seem to have been under continuous surveillance, received fluids when necessary, and had their symptoms treated. Nobody is postured to do that for even a city-sized population.

Yup. At low capacity, hospitals can even keep patients around so long as the tests still show they have viral load but if the numbers keep going IP realistically that's impossible. Best case scenario going forward is that the virus turns out to be much milder than expected.

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. At low capacity, hospitals can even keep patients around so long as the tests still show they have viral load but if the numbers keep going IP realistically that's impossible. Best case scenario going forward is that the virus turns out to be much milder than expected.

Agreed. The lethality rate for otherwise healthy people appears lower than the initial data we saw. I expect it's lower still as the fully known number of infected is almost certainly way higher than we've seen. I can't see any other path explaining outbreaks in Iran and Italy.

If people get sick with the "flu" outside of eastern Asia with no recent travel history, I have to imagine they call in to work, drink a lot of fluid, and take something for fever. I knew a woman two years ago who went through swine flu like that without knowing she had it until week two.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Going by the more recent figures I'm beginning to worry the death rate is more in the SARS range

And that story about the Ontario couple was a week ago, I wonder if they're still contagious.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Here an hospital that has beds available is unheard of. All are operating at over capacity. The health care system of developed countries cannot handle this virus.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Anniston FEMA Facility to be used as coronavirus quarantine center

www.waaytv.com

Governor issues statement about coronavirus quarantine center in Alabama

Gov. Kay Ivey said the announcement from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services was sent prematurely.

A Federal Emergency Management Agency Center in Anniston, Alabama will be used as a quarantine center for passengers of the Diamond Princess Ship who may be infected with the coronavirus, Covid-19. Saturday afternoon, officials from Anniston and Calhoun County gave a briefing on what they have learned from the federal government. They said they were not given much of a heads up.

The Center For Domestic Preparedness or CDP is about 50 miles south of Boaz in Calhoun County.

According to Anniston Mayor Jack Draper, the decision to move passengers to the CDP was a joint decision by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, along with the Federal Emergency Management Agency or 'FEMA'.

He said they were told that those brought to the facility will not be showing symptoms. The CDP will be providing housing for those people who arrive.
Calhoun County Commissioner Tim Hodges said they are exploring their options now.
"Whether this happens or not, or we can stop it or not, it can't happen this quick," Hodges said. "I mean, you do something over the weekend, nobody's working and people are hard to get in touch with, a lot of officials are out of town, you can't just say this is what's going to happen."

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone know what happened to Chris Buckley? He was reporting in Wuhan and hasn't tweeted since the 13th.

Mar 29, 2018
My boyfriend and I are visiting his aunt this weekend and she just tested positive for H1N1 this afternoon. 😐 I don't think most people realize how widespread it is now. I think it's included in each year's flu vaccine. Glad you're feeling better; my sister had it two weeks ago and felt absolutely horrible for a while.
Yeah I think it's the dominant flu strain worldwide now? Like most people who get flu now actually have "swine flu"

Mar 29, 2018
Going by the more recent figures I'm beginning to worry the death rate is more in the SARS range

And that story about the Ontario couple was a week ago, I wonder if they're still contagious.
I think the largest scale official numbers we have put it at 80.9% of infected people having mild symptoms and the mortality rate hasn't moved much from 2%

Bluforce

Oct 27, 2017
In Italy at least two people "escaped" from Codogno.
One man is now in Avellino in quarantine with all his family.
One woman is in Vibo Valentia, in quarantine just her.

napoli.fanpage.it

Cameriere scappa da Codogno e torna ad Avellino: famiglia in quarantena per sospetto Covid

Allarme Coronavirus, un cameriere 27enne è ora sotto quarantena assieme a tutta la sua famiglia a Montefusco, piccolo centro in provincia di Avellino

www.quotidianodelsud.it

Coronavirus, insegnante torna in Calabria da Codogno: nessun sintomo ma contatti da evitare - Il Quotidiano del Sud

La storia di una docente di Limbardi che, tornata da Codogno in auto, ha chiesto cosa fare alla protezione civile. Nessun allarme ma meglio evitare contatti

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017
A new thread with a more informative OP has been posted; please redirect discussion there:

www.resetera.com

Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) resources and discussion thread (Discussion guidelines in OP) COVID - OT

Given the concern and confusion of discussions in the wake of the current novel coronavirus outbreak (aka 2019-nCoV or COVID-19), the team has allowed me to reboot the coronavirus thread with a more comprehensive OP for our members to learn about the disease and its current situation, so as so...

Status
Not open for further replies.