• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wife is Japanese, her family is in Machida (Tokyo). Lots of friends around. How's it spreading in Japan on the whole?

We're there in April with my parents fwiw.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Man I haven't heard of SARS since Mac Dre.

Scary stuff. Hope technology can come into play to stop this spread sooner rather than later, compared to last time. With less lives lost than last time. :/

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Isn't it a bit early for panic stations? Obviously it's concerning but I think people are overreacting a little in here.

maxresdefault.jpg

Bluebot

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Wife is Japanese, her family is in Machida (Tokyo). Lots of friends around. How's it spreading in Japan on the whole?

We're there in April with my parents fwiw.
It's on the news a bit. Nothing big. There was only like one or two Japanese people who contracted it so far.

Hell I even feel that less people are wearing face masks compared to this time last year.

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
'deadly' and 'spreading' ?

Every annual flu strain kills way more people. This is only a thing because its rather new.

Are people serioulsy canceling trips because of this?
What are you doing when it hits your homecountry? Lock yourself in for 2 months straight?

Enjoy life

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
'deadly' and 'spreading' ?

Every annual flu strain kills way more people. This is only a thing because its rather new.

Are people serioulsy canceling trips because of this?
What are you doing when it hits your homecountry? Lock yourself in for 2 months straight?

Enjoy life
There are ways to protect from flu. This, we don't know. That's why I guess.

Nov 20, 2017

Note these are 'confirmed' cases, i.e. probably already quarantined but just tested positive. Virus has spread as far north as Jilin, south as Hainan and west as Ningxia.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Why do sickness outbreak or disaster threads always just turn into travel blog posts lol.

"everyone i lived in japan before and I even ate chinese food once like 3 weeks ago. also I know someone in asia now. will i be ok???? im planning to go to hanoi and tokyo in 2023 btw"

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
When is Chinese New Year? That would be one of the big concerns with this in play right?

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
This is not SARS, it is much milder.

milder....for now.

The problem is that WHO and most people expect the virus to expand its outreach when next 2 weeks hits because that's when chinese new year starts happening..the period where a staggering amount of chinese travel to and from china, currently the (supposed) point of origin.

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Calm down people

the ones who have died all had underlying conditions, this Virus is much more widespread that being reported as its symptoms vary wildly

if you are fit and healthy you have nothing to fear except overreaction

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Calm down people

the ones who have died all had underlying conditions, this Virus is much more widespread that being reported as its symptoms vary wildly

if you are fit and healthy you have nothing to fear except overreaction
Not to downplay your post but many of those that died from the Spanish flu 100 years ago were young and healthy. Basically the leading theory goes that thier immune system overacted and killed them.

Mar 26, 2018
overreact much? do you have any idea how many people are in each area in a large chinese city? they would have a serious problem if they ever had a real threat of a virus though.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
But yeah I agree with those that are saying that we should not really overreact. China will actually be better equipped to contain this. The age of social media also means that information will travel faster than the virus itself.

Remember that we were able to contain the several Ebola outbreaks (largest ever iirc) in the last several years and those happened in much much poorer countries with worse infrastructure.

Plasmid

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Heard about this on NPR this morning. 200+ cases and some going into india / indonesia. Still, 200 over that span is not a very large amount, but if it actually does jump from person to person it could really cause a lot of havoc.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Heard about this on NPR this morning. 200+ cases and some going into india / indonesia. Still, 200 over that span is not a very large amount, but if it actually does jump from person to person it could really cause a lot of havoc.
The real test will be in two weeks, when everybody that travelled to see their family will have to come back in the big cities.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
To add to what I already said in the thread earlier, viruses that are extremely deadly that can kill you extremely quickly tend to moderate itself over time. The virus wants as many hosts as possible so letting you live longer will naturally evolutionary select for those traits. This also gives your body ample time to develop immunity to it over time to exploit this and/or for us to develop vaccines and treatments.

Remember that we can control even HIV now. Those kinds of viruses that let you live for a couple of years before showing damage are more dangerous, IMO since you have more chances to infect other people.

Oct 28, 2017
I wish when outbreaks like this occurred people would pay attention to the huge impact animal agriculture has on the situation. There would be far less chance for diseases to spread from animals if we weren't constantly exploiting them, putting them in shit conditions where disease can fester, and of course pumping them full of antibiotics in a way that just begs the next superbug to come along.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why do sickness outbreak or disaster threads always just turn into travel blog posts lol.

"everyone i lived in japan before and I even ate chinese food once like 3 weeks ago. also I know someone in asia now. will i be ok???? im planning to go to hanoi and tokyo in 2023 btw"

It's the same as mass shootings or any other big news.

"Oh man I went to that state once and I met someone from the town when I pumped my gas! Hope he is ok, I haven't heard from him today (or in the last 6 years!) hope he is ok!"

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017

I'm here in Thailand seriously considering hopping back on a plane to the states tomorrow. Any other people here traveling in Asia? My family are telling me you return home ASAP.

Apparently if you have a severe strain your lungs can collapse at higher altitudes when on a plane.
Hah. I'm in Chiang Mai right now and Chinese New Year is coming up in a few days. I should buy some face masks.

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At least it didn't happen during the summer olympics. Though the chinese new year is probably bad news too.

SwitchedOff

Oct 28, 2017
It always amazes me how people panic so easily - stop overreacting, instead gather information from trusted sources and not the mainstream media or assorted non-scientific messageboards.

Twenty Three

Oct 28, 2017
starts this saturday. Yes, a big concerns. (singapore here)
Tell me about it. I was on the mrt earlier and some kid starts coughing, and all the aunties look nervously at the kid.

Either, people getting nervy already, or (more likely) the aunties were judging the kid for not putting her hand over her mouth...

Status
Not open for further replies.