• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Air Canada went ahead and cancelled my scheduled flight to Taiwan without my input.

At least they gave all the money back without any fuss, but I'm still a bit salty, lol

My vacation has been ruined~~~~

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto is the 4th most populous city in North America, and it's been pretty much a non-event here. We've had three cases of it, two of them discovered a couple of weeks ago, and that's about it so far. If our crowded and extensive transit system hasn't spread it yet, I have my doubts about any major impact.
Yeah, if anything major happens, my intuition is that it'll be less severe, but longer-lasting as it slowly works through the sprawl.

But if you look at all the cluster case in HK/Singapore/Germany, then all you need is a few hours of dinner / meeting for it to spread to multiple people and their family.
The spread depends. The most virulent would be symptomatic sufferers in intimate contact with other people. Many dinners and meetings don't rise to that level, and even if asymptomatic spread is possible, in all likelihood it accounts for far fewer infections. Besides, you're missing the point. For every infected person, there's far more empty space and air for the viral particles to fall short in than in many places on earth. The cities also tend to sprawl more than many world cities of note as well.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I think that Texas case is someone who was on a plane that was quarantined 6 days ago as it landed, just as a precaution due to it coming from Hubei, and the people were kept on base for observation. Hopefully that will be fully contained.

www.ksat.com

CDC officials detail quarantine process at JBSA-Lackland for 250 plane passengers

A plane transporting as many as 250 people who will be quarantined as a precaution against the novel coronavirus is arriving at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland.

questionable

Banned
Jan 24, 2020
No, I'm just asking if most people would be more comfortable with the information and advice from this organization over local governments ?

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
New cases found in London Lewisham ,very close to my home.

Man, I have to travel by tube for at least 1 hour every day from southeast to west London. With that amount of people squeeze into tiny train car, it's just a matter of time before this thing get spread out uncontrollably. Imagine for one unknown infected person get into there...
New cases ? I thought it was just the one?

questionable

Banned
Jan 24, 2020
So why does everyone in Asia think this is bullshit advice?

ckhP1kL.png

Team never mask will never be a thing because at the end of the day paranoia always trumps science unfortunately...Shouldn't washing hands more often be the message ?

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It seems like everyone (except the US stock market) has assumed China was under-reporting the numbers for quite a while. Has that contributed to potential lack of preparedness in other countries? Such under-reporting could easily give cover for some places to perhaps not take all the early steps they might, to avoid scaring people and risking their local economy. In the US for instance I know the CDC seems to be on top of it, but the President's rare comments about it are basically, "Nothing to worry about." Some of that apathy seems politically motivated. We've already had more cases of coronavirus in the US than ebola in the 2014 epidemic, and he was extremely vocal about that virus.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017
4. It's very likely things will be quieter by then. The only place with a serious outbreak currently is China, and it's likely that only second/third world countries will be affected as such
5. The virus is only really a true danger if you're old or infirm (I.e. immunosuppressed).

If the latter is the case, then that's fair enough. It's the only real reason I can think it's actually worth being seriously worried about this.
It's absolute nonsense that this will only seriously affect second and third world countries. If the virus spreads in Europe, Japan, United stages etc the exact same thing will happen that happened in China.

Also saying that only the old or sick are at risk is severely understating it.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
If you are immunocompromised then maybe. I think you can wait a bit longer to see if it trends down.
I get infections in my sinuses very easily due to my terrible allergies so it is a concern.
I'm due to go to Disney World from London in May. Not expecting disruption to it just yet, but absolutely got that creeping feeling this virus will screw it up somewhere down the line, especially after I already reorganised the trip from last year due to Hurricane Dorian (which, of course, ended up scraping by & missing...). Of course, there are bigger hardships that are/would be out there due to any existing or possible future travel disruption but... Selfishly, it would stink.
If I cancel my Japan trip I'll probably go to WDW lol. No cases anywhere near there yet. They also don't really get Chinese tourists. Some Japanese, but not really Chinese.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Wouldn't that make people more prepared if they knew China was lying?
That's my point. If all the world leaders knew for certain how bad it is from the start, they'd have to act boldly, decisively and early. For example, Trump doesn't want to act, he barely even talks about this and when he does it's to downplay it as no big deal, and the published numbers give cover for that.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
So why does everyone in Asia think this is bullshit advice?

ckhP1kL.png

Team never mask will never be a thing because at the end of the day paranoia always trumps science unfortunately...Shouldn't washing hands more often be the message ?

That's a bit of a sweeping statement. Coughs are quite common this time of the year and I'd rather this 'Asian' way than people coughing everywhere without a mask or even covering their face.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this keeps going on could Xi lose that "mandate of heaven" thing.

questionable

Banned
Jan 24, 2020
So you personally think WHO advice should not be based on science but on "asian" peoples feelings?
I live in China and face masks are promoted as the only way for healthy people to be outdoors, meanwhile I see no soap or hand washing in the public bathrooms, even at fancy malls

Last edited:

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
This confirms the decision to quarantine flights was the right call though. Who knows how many people this person in Texas could have infected if they had not been quarantined immediately.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why was Who against grounding flights originally? Was it an economic concern rather than a medical one?

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
I've always wondered in American how it would work for something like this for people who didn't have good health care and couldn't afford to stay in the hospital for days or even get tested.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
For people still wondering why this seems to be so much more deadly in Wuhan than in the countries outside of China so far... i personally see it like this: the Health care system was absolutely overwhelmed in Wuhan as this thing spread like wildfire there and they had a huge community outbreak. Now given the fact that we know that around roughly 20% of the infected people will need hospital care (or else they pretty much die)i'm pretty sure a bunch of those 20% in Wuhan simply did not GET that care and died in the end.

Now in other countries outside China, there simply has not been a community transmitted outbreak on the scale of Wuhan (YET anyway) so whenever someone there was diagnosed, well they were able to simply be put in a hospital bed and be properly taken care of until recovered.

If/when a huge outbreak DOES happen in any 1st world country however, make no mistake about it, we WILL see a lot of deaths from this just like in Wuhan simply because any healthcare system will be overwhelmed when suddenly you have a huge group of people needing specialized hospital care at once. We are not prepared for this in any way, i feel like most countries right now are simply sitting there, hoping to NOT get a huge outbreak or else....

Last edited:

Oni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol so the 'super spreader' and most of the infected are in Brighton which is where I go to uni and now I find out that the London woman who went to A&E is in Lewisham, which is in the same part of South London that I live. My barber is also in Lewisham and I was planning on getting my haircut tomorrow. And to add insult to injury she was in Heathrow a few days ago and so was I having just come back from Colombia. What are the fucking chances.

I've got a cold but I'm assuming its just from going from a super hot climate to a cold one at the moment.

Nlroh

Oct 25, 2017
So does the new numbers from China mean that there's been 200+ deaths daily while they were reporting a 100?

elty

Oct 31, 2017
Lol so the 'super spreader' and most of the infected are in Brighton which is where I go to uni and now I find out that the London woman who went to A&E is in Lewisham, which is in the same part of South London that I live. My barber is also in Lewisham and I was planning on getting my haircut tomorrow. And to add insult to injury she was in Heathrow a few days ago and so was I having just come back from Colombia. What are the fucking chances.

I've got a cold but I'm assuming its just from going from a super hot climate to a cold one at the moment.

The Toronto patient carried the virus to the plane and managed to infect no one despite a 15 hours flight. So I guess just being in the same airport would put you in the "super ultra low risk" category.

Oni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Toronto patient carried the virus to the plane and managed to infect no one despite a 15 hours flight. So I guess just being in the same airport would put you in the "super ultra low risk" category.

That's good to hear. I'm probably fine, but this series of coincidences are just freaking me out a bit.

Mar 29, 2018
It's absolute nonsense that this will only seriously affect second and third world countries. If the virus spreads in Europe, Japan, United stages etc the exact same thing will happen that happened in China.

Also saying that only the old or sick are at risk is severely understating it.
I never said it would not "seriously affect" first world countries. I said "affected as such", basically meaning a crazy widespread outbreak in every city like it is in China. While it's deffo gonna spread in first world countries it won't be the ubiquitous horrorshow it'll be in developing ones - like how it is in China.

Unless we all seriously drop the ball... Which isn't unlikely.

I meant that only the old or infirm are at risk of death, fatality. "True danger," as I said. Which is the real worst case scenario. It is likely to damage any healthy persons lungs but won't kill them. Multiple people who contracted it have got away Scot free.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
Ira Longini at the WHO is predicting that up to two-thirds of the world population could catch COVID-19:

www.smh.com.au

Coronavirus could infect two-thirds of globe, top scientist says

As the number of coronavirus cases jumps dramatically in China, a top infectious-disease scientist warns that things could get far worse: two-thirds of the world's population could catch it.

lol.. how the hell would the last third avoid it. I'm more and more convinced that the WHO is full of idiots.

It's not like its going to stop by itself.
It would require countries to never let anybody into their country ever again. If COVID-19 isnt stopped it will become another flu travelling the world

Last edited:

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I assume that would just be predicting that the corona virus would just become common place like the flu where most but not all people get it.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
So does the new numbers from China mean that there's been 200+ deaths daily while they were reporting a 100?
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we know if yesterday's clinically diagnosed numbers were just for that 1 day or if they also added all the numbers for the days before that. Today's numbers should give a good insight on that I think, if we just have a regular increase or drop like previous days that means China did not add numbers for days before February 12th, which means the true death count could indeed be twice as high as reported.
And even then there's obviously plenty of good reason to question all the numbers provided by the Chinese government.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
lol.. how the hell would the last third avoid it. I'm more and more convinced that the WHO is full of idiots.

It's not like its going to stop by it self.
It would require countries to never let anybody into their country ever again. If COVID-19 isnt stopped it will become another flu travelling the world
Ira Longini is co-director of the Centre for Statistics and Quantitative Infectious Diseases at the University of Florida, and a WHO adviser, so rather than being an idiot I'd say they're fairly well informed on this stuff. That's not to say they're right of course, but not an idiot.

Engell

Oct 28, 2017
Ira Longini is co-director of the Centre for Statistics and Quantitative Infectious Diseases at the University of Florida, so rather than being an idiot I'd say they're fairly well informed on this stuff. That's not to say they're right, just that they have good reason to make that claim.

so do you know anyone who is immune to the flu?
i think he might be trying say something else.. but not sure what

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017

It's not like its going to stop by itself.
Just by the nature of infectious diseases not everyone in the world is going to catch it. Even in the United States not every single person catches the flu.

Status
Not open for further replies.