• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oni

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think another awful industry that more or less expects people to work sick is food service/cheffing. I spent a few years working restaurant kitchens and it was absolutely expected you work when sick, regardless if you cook or are on dish. That industry and what it expects/demands of people working in it is ridiculous and disgusting both for the people working in it and the people they are serving.

Worked in a bakery at Sainsbury's (supermarket) in the UK and it was the same. Hygiene only mattered when it came to inspections.

Mar 29, 2018
The worst part is, he's not going to be the only one. God knows I can't even keep my own students from coming to class when they're sick during a typical flu season. Imagine all the office workers, hotel staff, taxi drivers who are already conditioned to work themselves through a fever catching this, and waiting until they literally can't work anymore like this surgeon.

Japan's unique challenge during this epidemic won't be governmental like China, or even institutional like the US potentially. It's going to be cultural.
I really think that's true of the whole thing. The cultural legacy of COVID19 will be (probably) far more impactful and lasting than the health impact.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
From the guardian: Channel 4 employee came back from china, felt unwell but worked for ten days. In general using good sense it sounds like spread to other countries could be strongly mitigated but it turns out there are just too many fucking stupid people out there

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
RIP my aunt and uncle who need meds but took a vacation to Vietnam lol.

I think they are closer to Saigon though, not the Hanoi area.. but who knows if they'll be able to make it out by then.
I would not worry too much for them right now if they are in saigon area, everything seems under control, no real cases there (girlfriend lives there) The commune they quarantined up north is the one where nearly all the cases from a cluster were found like 12 of 15 cases in VN) . VN has reacted very fast to the outbreak and seem in better control than even canada loll. For exemple no school even when no cases where already found, no big gatherings, all the companies seem to have a plan for protection. School is just starting again next week in only unaffected areas where no cases or no people who had contact with diseased are watched and quarantined at home (around 1200 mostly in the quarantined commune).
Currently I m more worried of transiting through japan in april to see my girlfriend than being in VN.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Archbishop has decided to suspend all masses in Singapore from tomorrow noon. Indefinitely. I'm devastated. :/

Really hope this situation recovers sooner rather than later. And every bit of sacrifice we make to reduce large public gatherings should help contain the spread.

:( :( :(

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
I would not worry too much for them right now if they are in saigon area, everything seems under control, no real cases there (girlfriend lives there) The commune they quarantined up north is the one where nearly all the cases from a cluster were found like 12 of 15 cases in VN) . VN has reacted very fast to the outbreak and seem in better control than even canada loll. For exemple no school even when no cases where already found, no big gatherings, all the companies seem to have a plan for protection. School is just starting again next week in only unaffected areas where no cases or no people who had contact with diseased are watched and quarantined at home (around 1200 mostly in the quarantined commune).
Currently I m more worried of transiting through japan in april to see my girlfriend than being in VN.

That's amazing how they're dealing with the situation in Vietnam. Awesome protocols.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
just a quick glance at their financials, this company has been around for more than a decade, they still have no products on market, has lost over $700 mil over the lifetime of the company and is ready for another round of $100mil dilution. I'd take anything they have with a grain of salt
Believe it or not, but this is the standard for the biomedical industry, not the exception (source: my boyfriend is a biochemist working on potential HIV and cancer cures). These companies exist solely to acquire more funding for research, in the hopes that they finally strike it big someday. Investors are aware of this as well.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Japan:
- One more case in Aichi prefecture (source). Travel history to Hawaii.
- One more case in Hokkaido prefecture (source).
- One Japanese evacuee from Wuhan tested positive (source).
- A driver who was transporting patients from the Diamond Princess tested positive, but it seems like the driver might have caught the virus elsewhere as there was not enough time between transporting the patients and the driver getting sick (source).

Plus the three drivers reported on earlier (two in Tokyo, one in Okinawa)

Seems like it's starting to spread here quite fast now...

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Japan:
- A driver who was transporting patients from the Diamond Princess tested positive, but it seems like the driver might have caught the virus elsewhere as there was not enough time between transporting the patients and the driver getting sick (source).

Fuckfuckfuckfuck

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Really looking more and more like Japan's going to be an example of how NOT to handle this whole situation :(
Yeah they really fucked up.

Only silver lining, which is fucking terrible to say, is the worse it gets, the more likely I and others can cancel our trips without losing money. But, of course, I'd much rather things be better and I'd be able to go on my trip. Looking increasingly unlikely now. I feel so fucking bad for people living in Japan who have to deal with this fuckup on part of the government not acting fast enough. My husband has family there, with some being elderly. My MIL, who is Japanese but lives in the Seattle area, is going to worry herself to death about her folks at this rate.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
China is using wartimes powers in wuhan. Military enforces curfew. Anyone else see this in msm news?

Seems like that's one of those things you should have done to begin with if there was any reeal plan.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
It's incredibly disturbing that China still hasn't allowed the CDC to help. China not wanting an international investigation on this illness within the country doesn't do much to help the conspiracy theories.

Last edited:

Itsuki

Oct 26, 2017
Japan:

I blame the government for not taking this seriously until it was too late. I guess the money from the tourists is more important for them. What worries me too is that people are now going to be more racists towards Chinese....

Redeye97

Banned
Apr 25, 2019
Super pissed about one of my students today. She went to a Hotspring town during the week that is frequented by Chinese tourists. She comes to class today telling me her boyfriend who went with her is sick. Motherfucker, you mean to tell me your boyfriend, someone you spend a lot of time around, is feeling sick after traveling to a highly visited area during this sensitive time, and you think it's a good idea to potentially bring that shit into my school? She's a motherfucking nurse for crying out loud. she should have more sense than that.

Maybe I might be becoming paranoid, but the moment I come down with even the sniffles, I'm closing the school, and heading to the hospital. I'm sick of this shit.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah they really fucked up.

Only silver lining, which is fucking terrible to say, is the worse it gets, the more likely I and others can cancel our trips without losing money. But, of course, I'd much rather things be better and I'd be able to go on my trip. Looking increasingly unlikely now. I feel so fucking bad for people living in Japan who have to deal with this fuckup on part of the government not acting fast enough. My husband has family there, with some being elderly. My MIL, who is Japanese but lives in the Seattle area, is going to worry herself to death about her folks at this rate.

Yeah, in the grand scheme of things, I'm more concerned about their health than my trip. Yeah, it breaks my heart that it's almost certain the trip will be cancelled, but it breaks my heart even more to imagine all of the innocent people whose lives will be greatly affected due to COVID-19.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
For anyone wanting to double check on BNO's news, you can go to their website and scroll down their timeline. They have links to every new source they base their announcements on.

bnonews.com

Tracking coronavirus: Map, data and timeline

The table below shows cases of coronavirus (officially known as SARS-CoV-2, COVID-19, or 2019-nCoV) around the world. Each figure is verified by our team through local health departments or local media. A distribution map and a timeline with a list of recent updates can be found below the table...

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
I blame the government for not taking this seriously until it was too late. I guess the money from the tourists is more important for them. What worries me too is that people are now going to be more racists towards Chinese....
Even if that was the reason it makes no sense. If this goes the way it's threatening to it's going to cost them a lot more than the relatively small temporary drop in Chinese tourism money acting earlier would have caused. Especially if it effects the Olympics.

Still can't understand how at one point around Chinese New year that organised group travel was banned but independent travel was fine, where's the logic in that? Admittedly that may have been more on China but still.

Last edited:

Deleted member 24097

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What has Japan done wrong?

Nothing, really.
The authorities caught the thing and tried to stop it as soon as the spread was made public by the CCP.
The incubation period on this virus is too long to stop it efficiently when you receive a lot of people from affected areas. Japan just happened to be on the frontline.

On a personal note, I would appreciate the tiniest bit of decency from travelers and their fucking air trips here. Please maybe don't pollute the thread with messages to the effect of "I hope more people get infected so the airline will refund my ticket".
I can understand the feeling, but my wife has been asthmatic as a consequence of getting infected with a bad case of pneumonia a few years ago.
We are now directly exposed to the possibility of spread, and she falls into the "respiratory deficiency" category, so she's at risk. Even though there is no need to panic right now, just... Please?

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
Nothing, really.
The authorities caught the thing and tried to stop it as soon as the spread was made public by the CCP.
The incubation period on this virus is too long to stop it efficiently when you receive a lot of people from affected areas. Japan just happened to be on the frontline.

On a personal note, I would appreciate the tiniest bit of decency from travelers and their fucking air trips here. Please maybe don't pollute the thread with messages to the effect of "I hope more people get infected so the airline will refund my ticket".
I can understand the feeling, but my wife has been asthmatic as a consequence of getting infected with a bad case of pneumonia a few years ago.
We are now directly exposed to the possibility of spread, and she falls into the "respiratory deficiency" category, so she's at risk. Even though there is no need to panic right now, just... Please?

I never once said that I want people to get sick so I can get a refund. If you read my response slightly above, I clearly stated how vastly more important their lives are than my trip.

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The frontline is actually Thailand IMO, we get massive of Chinese in Lunar new year for many reasons.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
What has Japan done wrong?

It's been almost 3 weeks since knowledgeable people said it wouldn't be necessary to blame a pandemic on the lack of precautions taken by any given country. This virus is running on stealth mode and spreads like crazy. Even after implementing draconian measures to contain it, the bastard is so sneaky and lingers for so long, it could be impossible to stop some outbreaks here and there.

Still, it's good to hear some countries are really taking this seriously. Even if they're not able to contain new outbreaks, it will definitely make it easier to deal with new infections without collapsing the entire health care infrastructure.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
For anyone wanting to double check on BNO's news, you can go to their website and scroll down their timeline. They have links to every new source they base their announcements on.

bnonews.com

Tracking coronavirus: Map, data and timeline

The table below shows cases of coronavirus (officially known as SARS-CoV-2, COVID-19, or 2019-nCoV) around the world. Each figure is verified by our team through local health departments or local media. A distribution map and a timeline with a list of recent updates can be found below the table...
San Diego has two cases? 😦

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The instant this reaches New York City I'm stockpiling food and working remotely.

I'm not gonna risk anything.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
9 new cases in Singapore.. 67 total now, 17 has been discharged, 6 in critical.

www.channelnewsasia.com

9 new COVID-19 cases in Singapore, including 6 linked to Grace Assembly of God cluster

SINGAPORE: Singapore reported nine more confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Friday (Feb 14), the Ministry of Health (MOH) said in a daily update.Of them, six are linked to a cluster from the Grace Assembly of God church, director of medical services at MOH Kenneth Mak said at a press confere

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
9 new cases in Singapore.. 67 total now, 17 has been discharged, 6 in critical.

www.channelnewsasia.com

9 new COVID-19 cases in Singapore, including 6 linked to Grace Assembly of God cluster

SINGAPORE: Singapore reported nine more confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Friday (Feb 14), the Ministry of Health (MOH) said in a daily update.Of them, six are linked to a cluster from the Grace Assembly of God church, director of medical services at MOH Kenneth Mak said at a press confere
Yesterday it was 8 in critical and they did not announce a death so I guess 2 improved

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
It's incredibly disturbing that China still hasn't allowed the CDC to help. China not wanting an international investigation on this illness within the country doesn't do much to help the conspiracy theories.
I didn't know that. jfc
Super pissed about one of my students today. She went to a Hotspring town during the week that is frequented by Chinese tourists. She comes to class today telling me her boyfriend who went with her is sick. Motherfucker, you mean to tell me your boyfriend, someone you spend a lot of time around, is feeling sick after traveling to a highly visited area during this sensitive time, and you think it's a good idea to potentially bring that shit into my school? She's a motherfucking nurse for crying out loud. she should have more sense than that.

Maybe I might be becoming paranoid, but the moment I come down with even the sniffles, I'm closing the school, and heading to the hospital. I'm sick of this shit.
Did you kick her out of class? jfc

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
Mar 29, 2018
So with 15 cases confirmed in the U.S., is there any reason to worry that there might be an epidemic in the states? I'm not expecting there to be, but then again everybody seems so dismissive of the virus here that it's a little worrisome. All anyone ever says is that you have a better chance of dying of the normal flu than coronavirus, but the virus seems infectious as all fuck. I have this anxious feeling we are going to wake up one day and the infections are going to be rampant. Am I being too pessimistic/cynical?
15 out of 360,000,000 isn't too much to worry about

Mar 29, 2018
can you link me? I'm local to the company and it sounds pretty legitimate. don't bother if it's some conspiratorial conjecture, im only interested in a serious rebuttal of their efforts
Someone a few pages back pointed out that their "vaccines" of other illnesses were apparently proven moot and they have not actually sold a single thing used by the public

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
Japan:

I gone from a 100% to going to Japan in two weeks time to 75% now. This is going to read really selfish, and I guess it is in the grand scheme of things, I don't wish the virus on anybody, but I hope we have a much clearer picture this time next week. Hopefully for the better. But my gut feeling is that we may now start to see this increase across Japan.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gone from a 100% to going to Japan in two weeks time to 75% now. This is going to read really selfish, and I guess it is in the grand scheme of things, I don't wish the virus on anybody, but I hope we have a much clearer picture this time next week. Hopefully for the better. But my gut feeling is that we may now start to see this increase across Japan.
I think I'm ok with the current levels.
If they start shutting down trains and schools I'll start getting worried.

ry-dog

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the most worrying thing for most people at this point is a global recession. It seems kind of inevitable at this rate

Status
Not open for further replies.