• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Just remembered that today at the grocery store, I actually saw a white woman wearing a surgical mask! And some old white guy using a sanitizing wipe to pick up a basket instead of his bare hands. So that's 2 people I've seen wearing masks in the Boston area these past few weeks other than me.

JeffG

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
Just remembered that today at the grocery store, I actually saw a white woman wearing a surgical mask! And some old white guy using a sanitizing wipe to pick up a basket instead of his bare hands. So that's 2 people I've seen wearing masks in the Boston area these past few weeks other than me.
I am currently in the Vancouver Airport (waiting for my flight to Taiwan)

Lots of surgical masks here.

Even on the flight from Edmonton to Van, people wiping down seats with cleaning towels.

We packed masks and lots of hand sanitizer.

Its going to be an interesting trip

Kenstar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I thought the masks were more for preventing the spread of sickness if you aren't feeling well and not preventing yourself from getting sick

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
I think I'm ok with the current levels.
If they start shutting down trains and schools I'll start getting worried.

Yeah for sure. I'm not too concerned with my own health, but I'd hate to pass it on to someone else if I did catch it. I'm fit and healthy so got no qualms that side of it.

Its more of a infrastructure thing as you say, I can see attractions etc shutting down quite suddenly. When you spent money to go all that way I'd hate for that to happen.

Anyway, A week is a long time.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Almost no one in South Station using masks though...

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah for sure. I'm not too concerned with my own health, but I'd hate to pass it on to someone else if I did catch it. I'm fit and healthy so got no qualms that side of it.

Its more of a infrastructure thing as you say, I can see attractions etc shutting down quite suddenly. When you spent money to go all that way I'd hate for that to happen.

KIRBY CAFE BETTER BE OPEN
everything else idc.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Almost no one in South Station using masks though...
Yeah my stop for work is North Station, haven't seen anyone there wearing them except for myself. Only other person I've seen wearing them on the T was an Asian woman heading out of Oak Grove.

My whole trip this time is centered around Tokyo Disney. If that suddenly closes, beep beep, I'm fucked. At least if it gets bad they'll probably be one of the first places to close like with HK and Shanghai Disneylands.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I think I'm ok with the current levels.
If they start shutting down trains and schools I'll start getting worried.

I feel like Japan will keep them running — even if it spreads a lot. With their economy, I feel like the Japanese Government would avoid that measure until they absolutely had to, but it might be too late at that point. Especially with the Olympics not too far away, I just don't see them closing stuff down anytime soon.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Japan will keep them running — even if it spreads a lot. With their economy, I feel like the Japanese Government would avoid that measure until they absolutely had to, but it might be too late at that point. Especially with the Olympics not too far away, I just don't see them closing stuff down anytime soon.
I think if they completely shut down China travel it should be limited to breakouts here or there, but they won't do that.
Eventually they are going to open China travel back up and that's when shit will either explode or not.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
There are almost no cases in the us though, and they were all quarantined I thought? Seems a bit over the top in my mind, but I can't really blame people for being anxious

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
I think if they completely shut down China travel it should be limited to breakouts here or there, but they won't do that.
Eventually they are going to open China travel back up and that's when shit will either explode or not.

I hate sounding pessimistic, but I feel that will make things explode, because if somebody tries to fly out to countries like Japan in order to escape possible major quarantines, it will certainly spread depending on whether or not that person is infected.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
There are almost no cases in the us though, and they were all quarantined I thought? Seems a bit over the top in my mind, but I can't really blame people for being anxious
1 case in Boston.

Someone earlier was saying that people were talking a lot about it in the area. There was also a news article that Chinatown restaurant traffic was way down because of racism.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Everyone traveling, chill, you will be fine and everything will be fine. Only worrying thing is certain things closing.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

Right now it's probably hysteria, but considering we mostly think that asymptomatic cases can transfer and unexplained cases keep popping up over the world it might be starting to spread with second/third degree transmissions. Restrictions/quarantine are only applied to people coming from China but Singapore/HK/Japan/UK also seem to have cases that they can't account for so people coming from those areas could also lead to spread.

Better be safe than sorry tbh, and if it gets people to practice better personal hygiene then all the better.

Also, we don't know people's personal circumstances. They could be immunocompromised or have other stuff going on. No need to judge people.

Last edited:

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
1 case in Boston.

Someone earlier was saying that people were talking a lot about it in the area. There was also a news article that Chinatown restaurant traffic was way down because of racism.

I think a case in Texas was just confirmed as well. I know we have 20 people being monitored by the local Health Department in Memphis, TN, too.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Also, we don't know people's personal circumstances. They could be immunocompromised or have other stuff going on. No need to judge people.
Not judging anyone, was just reporting on the local situation. Just kind of looking like business as usual for the most part here. With all the hysteria in the media, it seems like the average person isn't too concerned in my area.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Better be safe than sorry tbh, and if it gets people to practice better personal hygiene then all the better.

I did not mean to judge - as I said I can understand the anxiety. I live in London - where shit will almost certainly hit the fan (overworked NHS, major transport hub, lots of connections to Asia, a few cases with possible contamination events, and no travel ban), I have a baby at home, and I'm myself immuno compromised (every year my GP freaks out about me getting the flu). I understand people get scared! I didn't realize it was in Boston. Still, I feel the US will fare better than most places.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I did not mean to judge - as I said I can understand the anxiety. I live in London - where shit will almost certainly hit the fan (overworked NHS, major transport hub, lots of connections to Asia, a few cases with possible contamination events, and no travel ban), I have a baby at home, and I'm myself immuno compromised (every year my GP freaks out about me getting the flu). I understand people get scared! I didn't realize it was in Boston. Still, I feel the US will fare better than most places.
The UK still hasn't implemented any kind of travel ban?

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
Well, look at the news from today. Dude in Japan with a confirmed case, just travelled there from Hawaii. Where was he before Hawaii? How long was he in Hawaii, what did he do there, how many people did he come into contact with, did any of them catch it from him, where did they go? 2 week lead time before any symptoms show, it feels like it's a hair's breadth away from exploding like... anywhere and everywhere. Trying to keep a lid on the anxiety but damn.

I think a case in Texas was just confirmed as well. I know we have 20 people being monitored by the local Health Department in Memphis, TN, too.
Luckily the guy in Texas was already under quarantine so that should curb any kind of spread there hopefully.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
I wish people would go beyond "oh, unless you're immunocompromised there's nothing to worry about." Some of us are immunocompromised! My rheumatologist told me to just not worry about it, but it feels like she's prioritizing not panicking over figuring out what to do. I have no idea under what circumstances and for how long it would be appropriate to discontinunue my immunosuppresants. This shit sucks.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
The Texas case is somebody who's been in quarantine since returning to the country.
Well, look at the news from today. Dude in Japan with a confirmed case, just travelled there from Hawaii. Where was he before Hawaii? How long was he in Hawaii, what did he do there, how many people did he come into contact with, did any of them catch it from him, where did they go? 2 week lead time before any symptoms show, it feels like it's a hair's breadth away from exploding like... anywhere and everywhere. Trying to keep a lid on the anxiety but damn.

Luckily the guy in Texas was already under quarantine so that should curb any kind of spread there hopefully.

Thanks for the clarification!

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
I wish people would go beyond "oh, unless you're immunocompromised there's nothing to worry about." Some of us are immunocompromised! My rheumatologist told me to just not worry about it, but it feels like she's prioritizing not panicking over figuring out what to do. I have no idea under what circumstances and for how long it would be appropriate to discontinunue my immunosuppresants. This shit sucks.
Yea, I have been tempted to drop the meds if I'm honest.

Hazardous

Oct 25, 2017
Fifth confirmed case in B.C, fuck. I don't understand why they refuse to say where in B.C specifically, just in the "Interior Health Region".

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Fifth confirmed case in B.C, fuck. I don't understand why they refuse to say where in B.C specifically, just in the "Interior Health Region".

Person came into YVR on a flight from Shanghai, began to feel sick on the flight and drove home to the interior in their own car. They said in the press conference it was a woman in her 30s and she wore a facemask during the flight

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone watch that Channel 4 documentary? 'Is Britain ready for the Coronavirus', I think it's called.
Pretty grim watching really.

From the programme:
Professor Neil Ferguson, from the School of Public Health, Imperial College London, has been working for weeks to model the virus. He said: "I would much prefer to be accused of overreacting than under reacting.

"This virus is the one which probably concerns me the most out of everything I've worked on."

He added: "Given we know a lot about how these viruses are spread we have lots of data from past epidemics. Given how transmissible this virus appears to be and that fact that at least all adults can be infected, we have much less data in children, then 60 per cent is a reasonable figure. Within the first 12 months or so. What we don't know at the moment is if everybody infected. What proportion might die and what are the risk groups? Our best estimates at the moment is that maybe one per cent of people who get infected might die."

Hazardous

Oct 25, 2017
Person came into YVR on a flight from Shanghai, began to feel sick on the flight and drove home to the interior in their own car. They said in the press conference it was a woman in her 30s and she wore a facemask during the flight
It is extremely comforting to hear that every single case of COVID in B.C has been handled with such responsibility from the patients, but my fear is that eventually someone is going to break protocol and infect a bunch of other people. Having asthma during this epidemic is fucking terrifying.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
It is extremely comforting to hear that every single case of COVID in B.C has been handled with such responsibility from the patients, but my fear is that eventually someone is going to break protocol and infect a bunch of other people. Having asthma during this epidemic is fucking terrifying.

Absolutely - I really got the impression the province is on top of things and they went out of their way to compliment how well people have followed protocols and taken responsibility for their actions. My partner works in a Vancouver hospital and it's comforting to know it's being handled responsibly

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I blame the government for not taking this seriously until it was too late. I guess the money from the tourists is more important for them. What worries me too is that people are now going to be more racists towards Chinese....
Every country isn't taking this really seriously, I live in Italy and I think it's only a matter of time...

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
9 new cases in Singapore.. 67 total now, 17 has been discharged, 6 in critical.

www.channelnewsasia.com

9 new COVID-19 cases in Singapore, including 6 linked to Grace Assembly of God cluster

SINGAPORE: Singapore reported nine more confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Friday (Feb 14), the Ministry of Health (MOH) said in a daily update.Of them, six are linked to a cluster from the Grace Assembly of God church, director of medical services at MOH Kenneth Mak said at a press confere

Seeing the infection chart in this article is terrifying. This thing sure spreads like crazy.

mieumieu

Oct 25, 2017
The Farplane
Some tangential observation:

As a trans woman in China who is still "in the process", I've been gendered correctly a lot more times since I wear a surgical mask.
I also know a lot of trans women / crossdressers who do this regularly.

I do hope that it is not as stigmatic to wear a mask in the US when I move there later this year! Gives me more confidence for sure.
Well, assuming travel ban is lifted by then and the outbreak ends of course :(

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
The whole lung flooded just sounds horrifying. I feel so bad for anyone that has to battle this. :(

And there's serious evidence the virus can produce a cytokine storm response from the body.... That's not good.
Article does explain everything, but at the same time, it helps put in perspective the risk this thing poses to those with underlying complications.

I hope it doesn't reach Latin America - I doubt our health care system could withstand something like this, plus some countries are already complicated with other diseases like dengue.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Some tangential observation:

As a trans woman in China who is still "in the process", I've been gendered correctly a lot more times since I wear a surgical mask.
I also know a lot of trans women / crossdressers who do this regularly.

I do hope that it is not as stigmatic to wear a mask in the US when I move there later this year! Gives me more confidence for sure.
Well, assuming travel ban is lifted by then and the outbreak ends of course :(
It's pretty rare here. But people don't really seem to give a shit. They have their own lives to worry about.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
And there's serious evidence the virus can produce a cytokine storm response from the body.... That's not good.
Article does explain everything, but at the same time, it helps put in perspective the risk this thing poses to those with underlying complications.

I hope it doesn't reach Latin America - I doubt our health care system could withstand something like this, plus some countries are already complicated with other diseases like dengue.
Pretty sure we never heard of SARS causing a cytokine storm

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
Japan side here. I'm pretty central of the country in a more rural area but currently they got the hand sanitizer in schools and bigger gathering centers. A few weeks ago they had the same at bigger centers in places like Tokyo so the precautions are trickling down slowly. But the bigger problem is the mask situation currently. Even out here in my random suburb there is a shortage and a refusal but basically every store to sell more than one pack of masks at a time to people.

Pretty weird to see a country go from rows of masks to be rationing them off. Still though, questionable hand washing, open mouth coughing and sneezing made worse by the assumption that masks block ALL of that which they don't, and a flat out refusal to shut stuff down/demand people not go in when feeling sick etc. Think were going to see more infections sooner than the government is expecting.

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
Correct me if I'm wrong, but flu / cold season will end soon, right? Could this help hospitals and workers by making diagnosis easier?

Status
Not open for further replies.