• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Only person I've ever seen wearing a mask is one of the hairdressers at the haircut place I go to, but she wears it every year around flu season, so it's not that unusual.

MasterChumly

Oct 25, 2017

I was skeptical that the Lockdowns were going to do anything but it seemed like it might have helped. This on the other hand is just way excessive and not going to be helpful. Plus how the hell are they are going restart their economy anytime soon.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it leaves some genetic code behind that triggers that if it comes back in contact with it, it's a pretty strong evolutionary route it went down.

You get sick and survive and it makes you want to leave from the rest of the sick people taking with you whatever stranglers you have still spreading the virus more.

Any other viruses that have this trait?

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it leaves some genetic code behind that triggers that if it comes back in contact with it, it's a pretty strong evolutionary route it went down.

You get sick and survive and it makes you want to leave from the rest of the sick people taking with you whatever stranglers you have still spreading the virus more.

Any other viruses that have this trait?
In the article it says the medications for COVID-19 damages the heart and the virus already damages the lungs, so if you get it again you are already in a weakened state.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
In the article it says the medications for COVID-19 damages the heart and the virus already damages the lungs, so if you get it again you are already in a weakened state.
Ah it's a side effect of the medication, my bad my dumbass should have read the article. Thank you for clarifying. That's a lot less scary ... by like 1%

elty

Oct 31, 2017
My impression of that article is the author injected multiple but lesser known fact to prop up his new claim. I don't really find it trust worthy.

Porkepik

Oct 27, 2017
My impression of that article is the author injected multiple but lesser known fact to prop up his new claim. I don't really find it trust worthy.
Especially when the article doesn't give the sources and its through a doctor told his family member in another country who told the website in another country . It may be right but its a lot of somebody told me that ....

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018

Source: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20200215/k10012286971000.html

The newly confirmed infection was a male surgeon in his 50s who works at Saiseikai Arita Hospital in Yuasa-cho, Wakayama Prefecture.
Saiseikai Arita Hospital has suspended outpatient consultations from April 14 to prevent infection, and has so far encouraged patients who have used the hospital and their family members who have symptoms such as coughs to consult a newly established contact outpatient clinic.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Just remembered that today at the grocery store, I actually saw a white woman wearing a surgical mask! And some old white guy using a sanitizing wipe to pick up a basket instead of his bare hands. So that's 2 people I've seen wearing masks in the Boston area these past few weeks other than me.

I mean shit I santaize the shit out of my hands after touching a shopping cart regardless of Corona virus. God knows what lives on those things. We already know people don't wash their hands.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
www.cnn.com

Americans to be evacuated from Diamond Princess cruise ship tomorrow

The novel coronavirus has killed more than 1,500 people and infected more than 67,000 people globally. Follow here for the latest

Chartered flight on Sunday: In an email to American passengers on Saturday, the embassy said the evacuation would take place Sunday evening local time.

Passengers to be screened and quarantined: Those who choose to return to the US on a charter aircraft will be required to undergo another 14 days of quarantine.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
twitter.com

Marc Andreessen on Twitter

“Public Service Announcement from Los Alamos National Laboratory”
6abD7ro.png

early . . .
strong . . .

whelp

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
An update regarding the 2nd. Doctor infected in Japan:

I suppose that means the wife is a case of third generation infection (at least).

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inappropriate Fearmongering
If this mutates into a deadlier version, Asia is fucked. West seems still relatively safe.

JoelStinty

Aug 15, 2019
It seems that one of the taxi drivers diagnosed in Tokyo is the son in law of the elderly lady that unfortunately died a couple of days back.

www3.nhk.or.jp

Japan confirms first death of person infected with coronavirus | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News

Japan's Health Ministry says a woman in her 80s infected with the new coronavirus has died. She is the first known victim of the virus in Japan. Ministry officials say she was living in Kanagawa Prefecture, neighboring Tokyo.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, look at the news from today. Dude in Japan with a confirmed case, just travelled there from Hawaii. Where was he before Hawaii? How long was he in Hawaii, what did he do there, how many people did he come into contact with, did any of them catch it from him, where did they go? 2 week lead time before any symptoms show, it feels like it's a hair's breadth away from exploding like... anywhere and everywhere. Trying to keep a lid on the anxiety but damn.

Luckily the guy in Texas was already under quarantine so that should curb any kind of spread there hopefully.
I need to know this Hawaii one. I'm literally going to Hawaii next week with a baby. Fuck man

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's the update for Hawaii in English. This couple literally did the exact same trip I'm doing next week going to Maui and Oahu. Wow...

www.hawaiinewsnow.com

Man diagnosed with coronavirus after Hawaii trip now in critical condition

Officials confirmed the couple was diagnosed with the virus after their trip to Hawaii.

In a news conference Friday, state health officials said:
  • The adult male traveler did not have any symptoms while visiting Maui from Jan. 28 to Feb. 3.
  • But he did begin to exhibit "cold-like symptoms" while on Oahu from Feb. 3 to Feb. 7.
  • On Oahu, he stayed at the Grand Waikikian by Hilton Grand Vacations. The state is still seeking more details on his exact itinerary, including which flights he was on.
  • He was diagnosed with the virus on Feb. 8, after returning to Japan. Japanese news reports say that he had a fever of about 102 degrees.

rhindle

Oct 27, 2017
First Coronovirus death in Europe ...
An elderly Chinese tourist has died of the new coronavirus in France, French Health Minister Agnes Buzyn said Saturday, confirming the first fatality from the fast-spreading respiratory virus in Europe.
www.cnbc.com

First coronavirus death confirmed in Europe, French health minister says

France has 11 confirmed cases of the illness, with more than 63,800 cases around the world, the vast majority of which are in China.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2019

I don't think any of the published studies of CORVID 19 have been peer reviewed? It's all preprints because the demands of public health are moving faster than the peer review process can accommodate. Which isn't to say the peer reviews aren't necessary to solidify agreement on the soundness of methodology, etc. sometime down the road. Full complete understanding of COVID 19's epidemiology will take years or decades to fully explore.

Last edited:

ValeYard

Oct 25, 2017
I know this is just my limited perspective, but I kinda feel like the West isn't mobilizing enough, both with humanitarian assistance and in protecting its population against a spread. All feels a bit laisser-faire. Am I tripping?

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think any of the published studies of CORVID 19 have been peer reviewed? It's all preprints because the demands of public health are moving faster than the peer review process can accommodate. Which isn't to say the peer reviews aren't necessary to solidify agreement on the soundness of methodology, etc. sometime down the road. Full complete understanding of COVID 19's epidemiology will take years or decades to fully explore.

None of the studies on medrxiv are, but there's been plenty published elsewhere. Lancet have published several studies for instance:

https://www.thelancet.com/coronavirus

Medxriv is a good resource but it's completely open to the public. They mentioned in the latest Virology Today podcast that there's even been some fake studies published on it by conspiracy theorists and trolls which look real to an untrained eye.

Readers need to take this into account. Links to medrxiv should be taken with a large grain of salt by everyone not prepared or able to study the plausibilities of those studies in detail.

I know this is just my limited perspective, but I kinda feel like the West isn't mobilizing enough, both with humanitarian assistance and in protecting its population against a spread. All feels a bit laisser-faire. Am I tripping?

There's plenty of work going on in the background, all the way from the front lines of healthcare to the national and international levels. I've personally been involved in writing guidelines for the small primary care clinic I work at. You're not seeing drastic action at this stage because there's simply no convincing signs that engaging in it would do more good than harm.

Nov 1, 2017

As far humanitarian assistance, 33 governments and 4 International organisations have already provided medical supplies to China and further 17 governments are willing to send medical supplies to the country.

They are: Algeria, Australia, Belarus, Cambodia, Canada, Egypt, France, Germany, Ghana, Hungary, Indonesia, Iran, Italy, Japan, the Republic of Korea, Kazakhstan, Malaysia, Nepal, New Zealand, Pakistan, the Philippines, Russia, Singapore, Suriname, Tajikistan, Thailand, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, the United States, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, the European Union, UNICEF, UNDP and the International Organization for Migration.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017

Even with the scaremongering and the increased racism, it still feels most think of this as an Asian thing and won't affect them. There isn't the worry and personal action to protect themselves that you find in places like HK that have gone through SARS.

Garchia3.0

Dec 20, 2018
So, as it turns out, this virus can even survive on paper. I wonder about cardboard though.

Kate Gaynor, general manager and family medicine physician of Guangzhou United Family Hospital, told the Global Times on Saturday though there is not plenty of research yet on this particular new virus in general based on past studies, it is possible for a coronavirus to live, at least for some time, on paper.
"It is reasonable to say that a coronavirus might survive for days on money," she said.

Last edited:

Pomerlaw

Erarboreal
Banned
Feb 25, 2018
China reported 2,641 new cases in the 24 hours through midnight Friday, raising the country's total to 66,492. Mainland China's death toll rose to 1,523.

The number of new cases was down from the 5,090 in the previous 24-hour period after authorities changed the basis for counting patients.

Numbers of new cases have fluctuated, fueling optimism the disease might be under control and warnings such hopes are premature.

abcnews.go.com

New virus cases fall; WHO says China bought the world time

China has reported 143 new virus deaths and a dip in new cases while the head of the World Health Organization has praised the country's efforts to contain the disease

ValeYard

Oct 25, 2017
There's plenty of work going on in the background, all the way from the front lines of healthcare to the national and international levels. I've personally been involved in writing guidelines for the small primary care clinic I work at. You're not seeing drastic action at this stage because there's simply no convincing signs that engaging in it would do more good than harm.

Good to know. I hoped it was something like this.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
abcnews.go.com

New virus cases fall; WHO says China bought the world time

China has reported 143 new virus deaths and a dip in new cases while the head of the World Health Organization has praised the country's efforts to contain the disease
The way the numbers have been calculated has changed a few times this week, hasn't it? If so it's really difficult to come to any conclusions about whether it's slowing or accelerating its spread. It seems like every day or two we find out that the virus is more resilient than thought (in terms of temperatures and what surfaces it can survive on).

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I want to know what happens if someone who has this virus is then given the common cold. Will the two virus fight each other, possibly allowing the common cold to beat corona?

Deleted member 18502

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The gigantic Mobile World Congress conference in Barcelona to be held this week was canceled. We were sending a large team, but too many vendors pulled out. A sensible move given the number of Chinese companies that were attending.

Status
Not open for further replies.