• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
ebola is highly contagious when a person is near death or at death. By then they have likely already been identified and quarantined. The difference here is that a person is highly contagious without any symptoms.
I don't think it's been confirmed that a person is contagious at all without symptoms. How would it spread without symptoms? Through touch contact probably, close relatives and loved ones would be most at risk but they would still have to come in contact with the virus somehow. We know it's not airborne and without symptoms people aren't coughing or sneezing so the only way would be if an asymptomatic person has a large enough viral load to NOT produce symptoms but transfer enough of the virus through incidental contact. It seems highly unlikely.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I don't think it's been confirmed that a person is contagious at all without symptoms. How would it spread without symptoms? Through touch contact probably, close relatives and loved ones would be most at risk but they would still have to come in contact with the virus somehow. We know it's not airborne and without symptoms people aren't coughing or sneezing so the only way would be if an asymptomatic person has a large enough viral load to NOT produce symptoms but transfer enough of the virus through incidental contact. It seems highly unlikely.
Maybe through saliva and sweat? Seems like some severe outbreaks in China and Japan originated from sharing food (Diamond Princess, the taxi drivers new year party, Chinese new year party). Also in Singapore and South Korea there were outbreaks originating from religious gatherings.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
Maybe through saliva and sweat? Seems like some severe outbreaks in China and Japan originated from sharing food (Diamond Princess, the taxi drivers new year party, Chinese new year party). Also in Singapore and South Korea there were outbreaks originating from religious gatherings.
That's what I meant by incidental contact. An infected asymptomatic person would have to have a large enough viral load to infect via saliva (or other bodily fluids) but not large enough to cause symptoms. Other viruses do this, but I don't think we have enough evidence yet to say that COVID does this, much less to say that it's highly infectious while a person is asymptomatic.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Kind of weird though, if it is contagious before symptoms show up then the symptoms wouldn't be necessary for it to spread, which the symptoms would usually be for. Coughs and sneeze are to help it spread.

DickGrayson

Alt Account
Jan 30, 2020
I think if it is able to spread asymptomatically it would have to be due to repeated exposure with someone's bodily fluid who is on the verge of symptoms with some kind of immunodepressive comorbidity.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I meant by incidental contact. An infected asymptomatic person would have to have a large enough viral load to infect via saliva (or other bodily fluids) but not large enough to cause symptoms. Other viruses do this, but I don't think we have enough evidence yet to say that COVID does this, much less to say that it's highly infectious while a person is asymptomatic.

Based off of previous coronaviruses - SARS, MERS, and even the common cold -- it would definitely be strange if COVID-19 indeed spreads during the asymptomatic phase. I used to believe that it spread asymptomatically, but now I'm not so sure.

Sub-clinical symptoms, maybe... but that's another question altogether, especially with the supposed 80% infected showing mild symptoms.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Well you still can say that Ebola symptom are debilitating and easy to recognize.
COVID19 symptom can be confused with the most commons illness present in the world.
Plenty of people here go around public transport with coughing, sore throat etc. and most of them don't even wear a mask.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are the odds..

gulfnews.com

Wuhan 400: Novel predicted coronavirus 40 years ago, Internet stumped

'The Eyes of Darkness', a 1981 thriller by author Dean Koontz is trending online
This doesn't even rise to the level of "a coincidence". The only thing the fictional virus and COVID-19 share is an association with Wuhan -- a huge city. It's like being surprised that someone has written about biological warfare in NYC and then pointing to a common cold outbreak as proof of some precognition

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are the odds..

gulfnews.com

'The Eyes of Darkness', a 1981 thriller by author Dean Koontz is trending online

tenor.gif

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What are the odds..

gulfnews.com

And just when you least expect it, Dean Koontz.
Has that been verified by the way?
I would have imagine not a lot people in the west even heard of Wuhan in 1981.

Edit: oh okay, seem like it's true (the part about this actually being in the book obviously).
www.snopes.com

Was Coronavirus Predicted in a 1981 Dean Koontz Novel?

A speculative anticipation of a possibility is very different than a 'prediction.'

Heh, I wonder where Dean Koontz heard about Wuhan.
Edit2: thinking about it for more than 5 seconds he probably read somewhere that they have a microbiology lab there, which they did since the 50s.

Oct 30, 2017
And just when you least expect it, Dean Koontz.
Has that been verified by the way?
I would have imagine not a lot people in the west even heard of Wuhan in 1981.

Edit: oh okay, seem like it's true (the part about this actually being in the book obviously).
www.snopes.com

Was Coronavirus Predicted in a 1981 Dean Koontz Novel?

A speculative anticipation of a possibility is very different than a 'prediction.'

Heh, I wonder where Dean Koontz heard about Wuhan.
Edit2: thinking about it for more than 5 seconds he probably read somewhere that they have a microbiology lab there, which they did since the 50s.

Ow man! My mom has been spreading this around with end of the world conspiracy theories.

I used the same justifications you did to dismiss the thought.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ow man! My mom has been spreading this around with end of the world conspiracy theories.

I used the same justifications you did to dismiss the thought.
You know, I hate those conspiracy theories that are flying around the internet regarding the coronavirus, but I'm not gonna lie, I'm kinda dying to hear the theory that involve Dean fucking Koontz getting some secret inside info about Chinese bio-weapons programs.

p.s.
Was Demon Seed really a prophetic warning tale about the dangers of Alexa smart home?
Was the world just not read for the genius of Dean Koontz?

Sibylus

Oct 25, 2017
What are the odds..

gulfnews.com

Conspiracy junkies in the comments can't even seem to agree that this is a truthful portrayal of the contents, or that it was potentially rewritten several times over the years (that'd be one way to make yourself look more topical or a genius sage or something stupid like that):

"It's fake. The original paperback was published in 1981, had the Russians as the bad guys & the virus was called Gorki-400. "

Radec

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Ignoring staff post with regard to unverified information and fearmongering
Holy shit at the chinese video of an infected woman and a man purposely coughing/spitting on the elevator buttons caught on cctv. I don't want to find out how their minds work.

Not sure if already uploaded online as I only seen it on whatsapp.

May 24, 2019
I had an offer to work a TV job in Australia almost two months ago (I live in New Zealand) and now they're kind of ghosting me. It's not getting to the state where companies are being cautious of flying in anyone from overseas, is it?

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit at the chinese video of an infected woman and a man purposely coughing/spitting on the elevator buttons caught on cctv. I don't want to find out how their minds work.

Not sure if already uploaded online as I only seen it on whatsapp.

I've seen people bring it up on YouTube. As with all the of these clips it's worth remembering that 1) We don't know where it was filmed 2) We don't know when it was filmed 3) We don't know if it's staged 4) We don't know the agenda of the uploader

I personally disregard them out of hand, they don't actually provide any useful information even if they're exactly what they claim to be.

Jan 31, 2018
Don't think this was posted here:

An Oregon comedian who had been stranded on a Holland America cruise ship in Cambodia due to COVID-19 virus concerns managed to get a flight back home by breaking quarantine in a hotel where ship's passengers were being held pending test results.
King said somebody asked him if it was "kind of selfish to self deport?" He said while the results of his virus test weren't back, he's confident he's OK since he has not shown any symptoms, nor fever, and says he had been essentially in quarantine for 14 days.

Officials with Holland America said guests at the hotel completed their screening, saying in part in a statement, "Results are being returned when completed, with the first batch of 406 all being negative. Cleared guests may travel home, and arrangements are being made for those guests."

Followup:
www.kptv.com

Oregon comedian breaks quarantine, flies back home

LINN COUNTY, OR (KPTV) – Frank King said he had to get back home for some speaking gigs he had lined up over the next couple of weeks.
Due to all the media coverage he decided to cancel the first of the three gigs he was trying to get back for.

FOX 12 has learned that Frank was fired by Holland America.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to plan a trip back to Thailand in April. Is it still too risky? Plane tickets and hotels are getting more expensive the longer I wait

Mar 29, 2018
Same here. 2 million is about the inner city population of Sapporo. Many Chinese cities are massive enough to fit the population of entire countries.

Yep. I'm pretty sure Wuhan is bigger in population, or around the same, as my entire country. Thinking of the entire place being on lockdown is mind-boggling.

What are the odds..

gulfnews.com

The odds are very, very high.

- Hundreds of thousands of novels are released every year.
- Many of them probably pertain to big viral outbreaks
- Some probably relate to China in some big way

Ta-da! "Coincidence."

questionable

Banned
Jan 24, 2020
Was checking the official app for new infections in Suzhou China and this is a great trend.

For those that can't read Chinese:
1. Cases from more than 2 weeks ago
2. Cases within the last 2 weeks
3. Cases from the last 7 days

JHcpdm2.jpg

axv1par.jpg

jPfXNzD.jpg

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Just heard from a friend who works for one of Britains largest Insurance companies and he has been told to self-quarantine for 14 days as he spoke to someone at the gym who has just returned from Thailand!!!!

Apparently all staff are being told to report contact with individuals who may have travelled to an area with any infected, they will then make a case by case decision if the member of staff is to go home, the company has apparently also scrapped all travel to London.

My company, on the other hand, hasn't even mentioned the virus and we have constant overseas travel and travel to London is nearly on a daily basis for some staff.

No idea which approach is correct, I just find it fascinating the way the two companies are handling it.

CampFreddie

A King's Landing
Oct 25, 2017
aren't Japanese people workaholics and work despite being sick?
Yes, but they also tend to follow their bosses' decisions (there's usually a lot of debate before you get a decision from a Japanese manager, but once the decision is made, it's unlikely to be ignored). So if it becomes a corprorate policy, it'll probably be followed.

Disclaimer: I work with Japanese companies, but I'm not Japanese, nor am I an expert on Japanese culture. Shoot me in the foot if I'm wrong.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It's kinda hard to sift through all the media hype and what the truth behind it all is but it's looking like this thing is waning? Is that correct?

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
Looks like the virus might have made its way to Honduras, Central America.

www.laprensa.hn

Llega a Tegucigalpa primera hondureña con sospechas de coronavirus

<div id='DTElementID-21351297' class='QuickRead'>La hondureña estuvo de vacaciones en Taiwán y pidió que se le realizaran los exámenes preventivos. Fue trasladada al Hospital del Tórax.</div>

52 year-old woman who had been vacationing in Taiwan. Traveled to Honduras via LAX and El Salvador. Still not confirmed, but she is in quarantine.
Saw a video of the woman being moved around in a wheelchair at the hospital and there were a bunch of cameraman trying to snap her photograph... some of them unprotected.

Then there was another video where she was being taken into the hospital and someone was shouting, "Kill her! Kill her!"

My people are dumbasses.

questionable

Banned
Jan 24, 2020
I'm surprised stuff like this isn't bannable by now, drive by with nothing other than a trite and over played "something something I'm fucked huh?"

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's kinda hard to sift through all the media hype and what the truth behind it all is but it's looking like this thing is waning? Is that correct?

To be honest, even if China's numbers are accurate, it might be waning there but other countries are starting to have cases pop up. And most of the time if you can trace where they got the virus from, it means that it's already circulating within communities already. So I don't think it is waning.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Will be flying to Japan in April and staying there for about a week and a half.

I wish the situation in Japan was better than it is now, but I think I'm gonna stick with my travel plans unless something drastic changes over the next month. I will be getting health insurance for the wife and I though.

Status
Not open for further replies.