• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Had to look up what this was:

corpse party wiki said:
Corpse Party: Sweet Sachiko's Hysteric Birthday Bash […] also known as Corpse Party 2U, is a romantic comedy spin-off of the Corpse Party survival horror adventure game series created by Team GrisGris for the PlayStation Portable. The game was published by 5pb. and MAGES, and was released in Japan on August 2, 2012. It is localized by XSEED Games for PC with expected release in Winter 2018. It features multiple stories written by various guests writers with supervision from Makoto Kedouin, the creator of the Corpse Party series. It is known under the abbreviation 2U in Japan. The game has inspired a manga adaptation.

corpse party wiki said:
This game continues with a visual novel approach, as used previously in Corpse Party: Book of Shadows, where players are given various options and choices throughout each chapter. As in the previous games, there are a variety of bad endings that one can reach by selecting the wrong options. However, unlike most visual novels and like the previous games in the series, the player will be in control of the actions of multiple characters in the same chapter.

->source

Sounds interesting, but super niche. Will keep an eye on it, thanks for the heads up!

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
So, this isn't a horror game at all, it's strictly a romantic spin off that's just using characters from corpse party?

Sara

Programmer at XSEED
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Buffalo, NY
It's a little more complicated than that. It's a comedy game, but all of Sachiko's victims are being forced to participate at her whims. There's certainly creepy undertones and some hints of 'we could die', and it's canonical to the series despite the much different feeling it contains. But ultimately, it's a comedy game.

Sara

Programmer at XSEED
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Buffalo, NY
I can actually kinda answer that. Hysteric Birthday runs in the same engine of Book of Shadows. Since we were going to port Book of Shadows to PC anyway, by localizing Hysteric Birthday at the same time, logically it would essentially be two ports for the price of one (not literally, but that kind of idea), right? In this way, we got more out of the port job and got to release a fun (if definitely niche) game that had been passed over before, at the same time.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i read a few of the chapter synopsis's

please tell me there's no weird thing where you date your little sister or whathaveyou

Bernkastel

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Jan 15, 2018
Brazil
She's going to do arts and crafts with those scissors, right?
Yep.
Corpse+Party+Missing+Footage+OVA+02912.jpg

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
To give some context for those who know absolutely nothing about this game, this was a Japanese only Corpse Party game for a long time since it's a parody game, and appeals more to... Japanese sensibilities. There's some aspects to this that some here may not really like, including tentacle scenes, boys with cat ears splashing in a pool, some BDSM shit, but outside of the sexualized humor the game has, it also has really weird absurdist humor like having a trivia game show against most of the enemies in the first game and the sort, or the game building up atmosphere and some creepy set-up only for the pay-off to be some absurd comedic scenario.

There is some lore and stuff hidden in there, but this is really a game only for those who diehard really like the series and characters and don't mind a super anime parody game of sorts.

Like literally the plot of the game is it's Sachiko's birthday, and she wants to have fun, so she tells the people trapped in her realm, "Do a romantic comedy or DIE♥" What commences is nine short anthology stories, each parodying a certain thing in Japanese media.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To give some context for those who know absolutely nothing about this game, this was a Japanese only Corpse Party game for a long time since it's a parody game, and appeals more to... Japanese sensibilities. There's some aspects to this that some here may not really like, including tentacle scenes, boys with cat ears splashing in a pool, some BDSM shit, but outside of the sexualized humor the game has, it also has really weird absurdist humor like having a trivia game show against most of the enemies in the first game and the sort, or the game building up atmosphere and some creepy set-up only for the pay-off to be some absurd comedic scenario.

There is some lore and stuff hidden in there, but this is really a game only for those who diehard really like the series and characters and don't mind a super anime parody game of sorts.

Like literally the plot of the game is it's Sachiko's birthday, and she wants to have fun, so she tells the people trapped in her realm, "Do a romantic comedy or DIE♥" What commences is nine short anthology stories, each parodying a certain thing in Japanese media.
Nothing wrong with BDSM~

That said I know nothing of this series but the title says "Corpse Party" and I hate gore so I'll pass.

I'm also hoping "boys with cat ears" doesn't mean children.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing wrong with BDSM~

That said I know nothing of this series but the title says "Corpse Party" and I hate gore so I'll pass.

I'm also hoping "boys with cat ears" doesn't mean children.
You're right with the BDSM thing. I actually forget the gore level in this particular title, but the other titles definitely are gory. I'm not sure if this being a more light-hearted game takes away from that or not.

Unfortunately that's part of what I meant by "Japanese sensibilities," almost all the characters in the Corpse Party series are under 18 (there are a few in their 20s and 30s, but it's safe to say like 80% of the cast at least are high schoolers). In Japan this sorta' thing is viewed differently, but something to keep in mind with this particular entry. Of course they're not going to have sex or anything, really if you kinda' know comedy/parody anime aimed at adults, and imagine that mixing with Corpse Party, you'll have a pretty good idea of what this game has in store.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I still can't believe this is getting localized. I would've thought the absurdist humor and the complete tonal shift from the rest of the series doomed this game to be Japan-exclusive.

Like, how would you even market this in the West? lol

Incidentally, this game introduces like 4-5 characters that Western audiences first met in Blood Drive. It actually explains what would otherwise have been some pretty random elements of that game.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
corpse party doesn't really scratch that Phoenix Wright / Spike Chunsoft itch of visual novels with heavy gameplay elements right, It is more just a straight up visual novel?

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
corpse party doesn't really scratch that Phoenix Wright / Spike Chunsoft itch of visual novels with heavy gameplay elements right, It is more just a straight up visual novel?
The other Corpse Party games have exploration and walking around, not sure about this one as I haven't played it.

Mankoto

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 28, 2017
The other Corpse Party games have exploration and walking around, not sure about this one as I haven't played it.

It's a straight up VN. No real horror to this. It's all comedy in the most Corpse Party way it knows how to be.

This track should really explain the mood of the game.