• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dringus

Oct 27, 2017
They should of cut the 15 troll re-skin minibossss and added in 1 or 2 more real bosses.

The first GoW on PS2 was light on bosses, they increased it a significant amount in the 2nd and 3rd game. I imagine we will see more in the sequel.

My brother had no intention of playing the game and watched an "all boss fights" video while I was playing the game and keep asking me how many trolls I have fought frequently. After the first few I began to realize why and figured I was in for a lot more, lol.

OP
OP

Jacob4815

Oct 29, 2017
I think that the one shot camera integration dried out a lot of time and resources.

It's cool, but if they need to sacrifice epic bosses in the GOW saga, maybe they should rethink the priorities in the sequel.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017
I agree we could have used a few more boss fights. I have high hopes for the sequel though. Especially now that the groundwork has been laid. It has the potential to be amazing.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
The Bridgekeeper of Helheim, gate keeper of the dead, its heart is the only ingredient in all of the nine realms that can help Kratos' son.

Except it's a troll, a troll that can only be killed with a fire weapon.

Why not just kill any other troll with the axe and then take their heart instead? Are their heart really any different? If so it was not explained during the story or by Mimir at all.

I'm sure the brilliant writers of the this game are aware of this, they just choose to not say anything cause it's been literally five years and the game still isn't out.

''Yeah, fuck it, it's a troll then.''

Last edited:

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean they could have looped the phenomenal side bosses into the story and I doubt people would have issue

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think he isn't as honest here as he would like to be.

I would bet that God of War 2 will have a lot more bosses and more enemy variety. And we won't have to wait 20 years for the next one. I think Sony just didn't want to invest as much money as they would've needed because nobody could know how the fans/customers would react to the game. Now that they know it's a big success the money will be there.

It's the same thing with Breath of the Wild imo. They couldn't have known how big their success would be. The next one'll be much bigger/better, etc.

They now know what their fans want and they'll deliver big time.

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So how the hell was GOWIII made?

Love the game but I do feel like there should be at least one or two more story bosses (aka bosses that's not a troll), It doesn't need to have any unique cutscenes, it just need to be a creature we haven't seen so far.
GOW3 was a third game in a formula, so didn't require years of tinkering just to get a new gameplay loop right. It was also way smaller in scope considering the linear path

Nov 11, 2017
The Bridgekeeper of Helheim, gate keeper of the dead, its heart is the only ingredient in all of the nine realms that can help Kratos' son.

Except it's a troll, that can only be killed with a fire weapon.

Why not just kill any troll and take their heart instead? Are their heart really any different?
I'm literally at this fight right now and had to take a break. I'm sick of this troll shit smh. I expected an actual gatekeeper not another troll

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
The trolls to me were similiar to the Cyclops in the original games which had you fight them as random enemies.

Over all I got what I expected. First God of War had 3 bosses only but this game had even more (hidden Valkyrie bosses) so I am more than happy with what I got.

I think they will pull a God of War 2 for GoW5 and add much more bosses.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
There is just a handful of actual bosses in the game. These bosses were done really well however (I can see why they took SMS so long and so much effort) and they perfectly suited the story that this game is telling. Throwing more random Norse Gods or monsters in there, as many demand, would just not suit this game. This game is not about picking up where the older GoW games left off. It is not about now murdering the complete Norse pantheon.
The only thing that began to bother me were all the trolls, just in different colors. They became boring and repetitive by the end of the game. The Helheim guard troll was just lazy, a proper, unique boss was needed in his case.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
I'm sorry, but calling people greedy for expecting more bosses in the game from series that know for its boss battles is just plain dumb, I'm not sure what he was thinking when he said that.

SgtCobra

Oct 25, 2017
My biggest complaint with the game, the Stranger fight is definitely in my top 5 of all time but the rest pf the fights were kinda forgettable
except for Magni and Modi

Icarus

Oct 26, 2017
The way I see it is this game is a brand new chapter in the God of War series and as such characters need to be introduced slowly but surely.

Think of the books you read, I'll use a popular example; The Lord of the Rings, in the Fellowship of the Ring how many major characters did they face? Not many and certainly not the major ones.

I see the same setup here. The core of the game is the whole Father and Son adventure with other characters factoring in to this at this stage. You get the impression that the next game will have you pitted against some of the bigger ones.

As for my point of view I think the game was amazing and whilst the inner child of me wanted to face off against some more bosses I can completely get why there wasn't any extra too at this stage. Lets not forget the very last cutscene for this game. ;)

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
As long as they fit a few more unique boss fights in the sequels, I'm fine with this. What we got was already great and the thought of facing off against Thor and Odin in the sequels, already has me hyped.

Killer751

Banned
May 10, 2018
User Banned (24 Hours): System warring.
Are you insinuating that the current Sony Santa Monica team has no actual talent? That'd be quite an obscure opinion you have I must say.

Not just them, but every major Playstation first party.

I think Playstation fans have reached the point where they'll treat those studios as something special even if they aren't. They're reaching Nintendo EAD status, basically. But I would suggest that Playstation is even worse about this, because you get situations where you have people pretending that GOW 2018 has the best combat out of any game ever.

Plenty of people blindly defended The Last Guardian in spite of all of its problems because the same people made SOTC, which was a masterpiece. I think the blind devotion to studios is a major problem among game critics.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I didn't even notice because of the valkyries and how fun the combat is. But now that I think about it, a few more story bosses would have been nice.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, the lack of bosses was a bit of a bummer (though I did enjoy what was there, much like the original God of War). Much like with other popular series reboots recently, I hope boss fights are something the follow ups will address.

I think that the one shot camera integration dried out a lot of time and resources.

It's cool, but if they need to sacrifice epic bosses in the GOW saga, maybe they should rethink the priorities in the sequel.
Yeah, I agree, the one shot was a gimmick that really did not add much to the game, and seems to have constrained gameplay and storytelling more than anything else.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

I think Playstation fans have reached the point where they'll treat those studios as something special even if they aren't. They're reaching Nintendo EAD status, basically. But I would suggest that Playstation is even worse about this, because you get situations where you have people pretending that GOW 2018 has the best combat out of any game ever.

Plenty of people blindly defended The Last Guardian in spite of all of its problems because the same people made SOTC, which was a masterpiece. I think the blind devotion to studios is a major problem among game critics.
Lol.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya

Based on sales and reception they nailed their priorities. There's room for improvement as in every other game, and probably also means that the sequels will have more bosses.

The-JUV

Oct 25, 2017
overall I enjoyed every boss fight in this game and didn't mind the troll re-usage. the only thing I wished for that a few others mentioned was the giant bird thing in Helheim. I wanted to fight that thing so bad. I wonder if maybe they were planning to have you fight it but just couldn't get it to work in this game due to time, or if they've already had in the back of their mind that this is a major boss for the sequel and just wanted to give the players a real tease by showing it.

Mimir does mention to Kratos when he asks what happens if he ventures further not to, so I'm pretty certain the sequel is gonna have him return to Helheim.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
"What about optional bosses?"

"Just copy and paste the same Valkyrie 8 times"

"Genius!"

The valkyries all look and fight differently, to the point that what makes a certain one so difficult is that fact that since she pretty much has all the other ones' moves, you can't stick to canned reactions to what she does because the same move can lead to different outcomes. Jeez.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I like his points about the game being leaner. The smaller scale story set against an epic backdrop worked really well. However I wished he showed similar restraint with some of the other stuff in the game cause it does feel like there's a lot of feature creep. The mist echoes stuff and the amount of crafting and upgrading things and the way it artificially lengthens the game was maybe my one major complaint. It would be nice if the whole thing was about 3 or 4 hours shorter.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

Uh, the Last Guardian was DEFINITELY criticized for it's flaws. It's meta is way lower than SOTC.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
Encounters with the Iron Knuckles felt about as engaging as I'd expect a boss fight to. The Soul Eaters too.

As far as bosses go maybe the second confrontation with B____ should've been an actual boss fight. But I don't really have any complaints.

Bran Van

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
There's no way 20-40 person-years for a single boss is not hyperbole.

I would even go as far as saying those are shit principles too.
The scale they do them at? Why is that hyperbole. The Stranger, the Dragon and he end fight were nuts in terms of spectacle

That said there's definitely a halfway point between trolls and the Stranger they could have achieved - which is basically what the Vakyries were. More unique battles like that in the sequel please

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Wtf?
The title is a spoiler
I didn't want to know about a lack of boss fights. I haven't even played the game yet

alr1ght

Oct 25, 2017

Yep, they've mentioned how difficult it was to work around it. It's something I never would have noticed had I not known about it beforehand.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
The sequel needs more boss fights and kill finishing animations (though these were also one animation in previous games for none grunt enemy types)
I only really noticed the lack of big boss fights near the end of my playthrough.
The fucking
dragon and Baldur
boss fights were legit insane, but now I wish we had a few more epic encounters like that.

It is understandable bosses were less overall considering the mountain of work SSSM had to do with the new direction of the game.

I really wanted to fight that
enormous looking bird in the background of Helheim.

Heh I was also expecting that!
Really creepy looking thing when you first see it.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus

*Grabs popcorn*

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf?
The title is a spoiler
I didn't want to know about a lack of boss fights. I haven't even played the game yet
Shit like this confuses me. So you want to be disappointed when you PLAY the game as you hope for more bosses that don't come instead of setting your expectations lower so you can enjoy it for what it is?

Oct 25, 2017
That's kinda unfair tbh.

They all have their unique moves (3-4 different moves each) so you won't get overwhelmed and can learn them to fight Sigrun after.

Combat wise they were easily the best part in the game.

Yeah I was kinda joking. If anything they should have moved 1 or 2 of the Valkyries into the main game to break up the troll monotony. A unique looking Valkyrie in Helheim with that phase shifting mechanic would have been more climatic than another troll.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The sequel needs more boss fights and kill finishing animations (though these were also one animation in previous games for none grunt enemy types)
I only really noticed the lack of big boss fights near the end of my playthrough.
The fucking
dragon and Baldur
boss fights were legit insane, but now I wish we had a few more epic encounters like that.

It is understandable bosses were less overall considering the mountain of work SSSM had to do with the new direction of the game.
I just wish these reboots weren't skimping out on bosses is the thing. While i greatly have appreciated them, and enjoyed the new games a lot, it's a bummer that bosses were skimped out on in both cases.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Wtf?
The title is a spoiler
Kind of on you tbh. Need to allow people to talk about stuff like this and knowing that there aren't many boss fights isn't n the really one of those fundamental things which will ruin the game.