• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
He mentions in the video below that he needs to convince Sony first. But are there any reasons why Sony shouldn't give this guy a chance? He's delivered two of the finest games ever made in God of War II and God of War (2018) and won a BAFTA for his writing for GOW2, so we know he's talented. It's a good business move, GOW2 sold over 4.2 million copies as of June 2012. God of War is selling out on Amazon in various countries. I think it's time for Cory to get a shot and not be tied down to a character/story with history or previous iterations. If I were Sony, I'd want to build a talented team around him and give them the budget and time to create another epic game that's completely original.

What do you think?

Source:

DarpWzTVMAEES1y.jpg:large

Edited

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
He'll get the money, just waiting for these day 1 sales. It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with that's original. I can't wait to see his next project.

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
I think with all these hypes surrounding the current GOW, he will get his shot if he gives Sony another blockbuster.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Gosh, he's deserving of w/e he wants, but I'm betting Sony would very much prefer he pump out a full new God of War trilogy instead. And man, I'm surprised that Cory doesn't want that himself.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That would be cool. Also, damn Cory is getting old lol. Hurry it up and do it Sony before he retires!

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gosh, he's deserving of w/e he wants, but I'm betting Sony would very much prefer he pump out a full new God of War trilogy instead. And man, I'm surprised that Cory doesn't want that himself.
When you spend years working on a creative project, when you are finished with it, the last thing you want to do is go back to do more of it lol, I definitely empathize with him here.
Maybe he will feel differently in a few months.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm pretty sure they're going to let him do whatever he wants, but we need more God of War too.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sony should have that blank cheque ready to go.

Its amazing how many really skilled Directors Sony is associated with.

SnowFlakeCake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The dude has shown in the past that he has no problem going, Shannon Studstill asked him to personally direct this game and he has completely reinvigorated a tired franchise. I'm still amazed what this guy has managed to do with GOW, if it has ended up a dunce then I really find it hard to believe SSM would have remained open. But Barlog is not a director Sony will come across often, I hope they give him the chance to do what he wants next.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sony will definitely want God of War 2 for the next project at SSM tho

Maybe they could split into 2 teams? With Cory's being a small one in pre production for new IP

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
When you spend years working on a creative project, when you are finished with it, the last thing you want to do is go back to do more of it lol, I definitely empathize with him here.
Maybe he will feel differently in a few months.

I can imagine, but at the same time I bet it's hard to just let someone else take control of something you've invested so much of yourself into. Especially when it's been reported that they've already planned out further games in the franchise.

Deleted member 11262

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure they're going to let him do whatever he wants, but we need more God of War too.
Yep. I think he will have a small team where he can develop his idea of a new IP further, while the majority of SSM works on a new GoW. After that his new IP can enter Full Production.

Just how Guerrilla did it with Horizon and Killzone.

Dec 13, 2017
They let the ND guys do The Last of Us, Cory should get his shot with SMS to make another game. I, selfishly, would like to see him stay on to make another GoW game. If not as the director, at least as a producer and writer.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can imagine, but at the same time I bet it's hard to imagine letting someone else take control of something you've invested so much of yourself into. Especially when it's been reported that they've already planned out further games in the franchise.
Yeah, but I guess that's the thing, he doesn't feel a sense of ownership in spite of putting so much of his life into it. That, plus the traditional creative burnout at the end of a project, probably makes him want to do something entirely new and of his own now (plus I imagine he would have oversight or consultation on a new God of War anyway).

Cap G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GoW reboot is basically a new IP anyway. This would be a slam dunk for Sony.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Sony would just allow their biggest AAA team to move on after spending the last four to five years rebooting their biggest franchise.

I think they might do what they did with Neil and Bruce after Uncharted 2 and give him a small team to hash out some ideas while the main team works on the sequel. We might not see his next game until 2023 at the latest.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Sony would just allow their biggest AAA team to move on after spending the last four to five years rebooting their biggest franchise.

I think they might do what they did with Neil and Bruce after Uncharted 2 and give him a small team to hash out some ideas while the main team works on the sequel. We might not see his next game until 2023 at the latest.
That's the thing, SSM can continue working on a God of War 2 (5?), while Barlog gets a new team to head up his own project.