• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
aCTKoUC.png

Genre: Role Playing (Turn-based)/Adventure
Developer:
Zeboyd Games
Publisher: Limited Run Games
Platforms: Switch (Also available on PC/Mac, PS4, and PS Vita)
Available: August 13th (EU)/August 14th (US). US Physical release by Limited Run Games late 2018 to early 2019.
Price: USD $14.99 / EUR 11.99 / CAD 16.99 / AUD 17.99
Downloadable Content: No.
Size: 1.9 GB
Supported Languages: English
Players: 1

Full Disclosure: Most of the content is reiterated from the official website as well as the official eShop page.

tNUCDxG.png

Alyssa L'Salle is one of the top secret agents at the Agency of Peace & Intelligence on the Planet Araenu. But when she uncovers a horrible conspiracy, she has to go rogue in order to save the day. 3 exotic planets to explore. Aliens. Robots. Magic. Forbidden technology. Conspiracies. A galactic threat. And one brave heroine to make things right.

The Characters:

HpsG9Dj.jpg

Alyssa L'Salle

mkFgErv.png

Our Heroine! At the start of our story, she is one of the top secret agents at the Agency of Peace and Intelligence. However, all is not as it seems...

Weapon: Cyber-Bo
Strengths: Versatility, Leadership
Dominant Element: Water

Chahn Kaneko
0ZzHGim.png

Close personal friend of Alyssa. Quite the energetic personality. Skilled in gunmancy - the art of summoning and controlling guns with your mind. Also skilled in the medical arts.

Weapon: Summoned Guns
Strengths: Healing, Backup
Dominant Element: Fire

Dave
Wnm34Ra.png

Elite hacker for the Galactic Agency. Thinks he's cool but really isn't. Incredibly paranoid. Supports the team while impairing the enemy with his mad skillz. His unique Enviro-hack skill changes effect depending on the location it's used in.

Weapon: Tablet
Strengths: Debuffs, Hacking
Dominant Element: Lightning

Borisusovsky (aka Sue)
yp0H6eH.png

When you need brute strength combined with impeccable fashion sense, he's your man. Quiet and gruff but has a soft side that emerges from time to time.

Weapon: Fists
Strengths: Martial Arts, Combos
Dominant Element: Earth

Lauren
bCU7WCV.png

An indie singer from the slums of Gehenna. A little shy... or is that just a cover?

Weapon: Force Daggers.
Strengths: Speed, Ailments.
Dominant Element: Wind

Finn
FdiyqKC.png

Proud member of the Araenu Police Force. Distant cousin of Alyssa. Wants to be taken seriously.

Weapon: Shotblaster
Strengths: Taking a hit
Dominant Element: Fire

Arete
9X0G2L6.png

Prominent member of the Astrea rebel faction. True name unknown. Proud and calculating. Accompanied by a floating seeing eye robot that feeds images directly to her visual display device.

Weapon: Explosive Beakers
Strengths: Technology, Eye Robot Minion
Dominant Element: Ice

Clarke

jV4QddK.png

Rogue robot agent. Was the smoothest talker around back before the incident. Ever since then, he's been a bit... odd.

Weapon: Rocket Boots
Strengths: Who knows?
Dominant Element: Lightning

Psybe
ZO4AU9R.png

Cybernetically-enhanced Psybe comes from the planet Rhomu, where his species builds its advanced hive-like civilizations among the ruins of jungle-like planet surface. A genius and fearless explorer, Psybe seeks justice for his planet and his people.

Weapon: Songs
Strengths: Support
Dominant Element: Earth

Orson Bolibar
FWFhsw2.png

Member of an alien race that begins life looking human before turning into ghosts upon maturation. Wears a special suit that amplifies his spectral powers. Private Eye on the Planet Nuluup.

Weapon: Colt Handgun formed from Spectral Energy.
Strengths: Elemental Magic
Dominant Element: Wind

Z'xorv
JfVAGYi.png

Alien bounty hunter. Loves capes. Hard to kill. Doesn't talk much.

Weapon: Claws
Strengths: Brute Strength.
Dominant Element: Ice

eO4tHbE.png

Combat takes place directly on the exploration maps (no separate battle screen). No random battles; everything is pre-set and some battles can be avoided if you manage to sneak past the enemies.

3.png

In combat, there's no MP. Instead, most abilities you have can only be used once until you use a Defend/Recharge move to restore everything.

As you choose abilities, your character's style score goes up and as that goes up, your abilities become more effective. There are also a few "Burst" abilities that you can use that will spend all of your existing style points for one massive effect. Every few turns, your characters will go into Hyper mode and abilities will deal double damage and ailments are more likely to work. Plan in advance to take advantage of hyper and style for combat success.

CSH%20Jungle%20Battle%201.png

Every character gets about 20 personal abilities. You can also use programs as abilities, based on which shield (armor) you have equipped. As an example, Alyssa can equip a unique shield that lets you do a special unique two-person combo with each other character. They're like equippable mini-classes.

cosmic-star-heroine-switch-screenshot04.jpg

• The best of classic and modern RPGs!
  • Brisk pacing that respects your time! Save anywhere!
  • No separate battle screen! Battles take place directly in the areas that you explore!
  • 2D visual style straight from the height of gaming's 16-bit era!
  • Animated cutscenes reminiscent of the Sega CD and Turbo Duo era!
  • Soundtrack by HyperDuck SoundWorks (Dust: An Elysian Tail, Precipice of Darkness 4)!
  • Over 100 minutes of music!
  • Innovative turn-based combat system that focuses on flow and strategy!
  • Multi-character combo techniques!
  • Your own spaceship! Recruit new agents to help your home base grow!
  • Inspired by games like Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star, and Suikoden!

hCCFxls.png

Reviews:

Metacritic: 82

God is a Geek: 9.5/10

Cosmic Star Heroine on the Switch is the definitive version of the game. While I would've hoped for things like touch support to progress dialogue text, I can safely recommend this to anyone looking for a great RPG to play on the Switch.

Nintendo World Report: 8.5/10
It's not difficult to find new games that are designed with the 16-bit era in mind, but it is rare to find ones that develop new and enjoyable game mechanics. While the writing could have benefited from some additional depth, the expansive party and combat options provide hours of entertainment, making Cosmic Star Heroine a worthwhile addition to your Switch library.

Nintendo Life: 7/10
This is a homage to the classic sci-fi RPGs of the '90s that successfully takes out many of the annoying bits but boasts a fair amount of the depth and consistency. Cosmic Star Heroine is a JRPG for those who long ago grew bored of JRPGs, but committed fans might find it just a little too slight an offering.

Screenshots

cosmic-star-heroine-switch-screenshot05.jpg

cosmic-star-heroine-switch-screenshot06.jpg

cosmic-star-heroine-switch-screenshot02.jpg

cosmic-star-heroine-switch-screenshot03.jpg

Reddit AMA

Soundtrack: Official Soundtrack from Hyperduck Bandcamp

zuAsGLE.jpg

Last edited:

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Nice OT. I'll be grabbing this in the morning for a nice follow-up to Octo.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Great OT! Love the title! I can't wait till tomorrow after work to finally play this game.

Grads

Oct 25, 2017
I've finished downloading it about 30 minutes ago, looking forward to play it later on.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Great OT & I love the title. And in case anyway asks, yes, we specifically decided on having 3 planets 'cause of Phantasy Star.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty excited to finally try this out. Thought it was coming out on the 16th rather than the 14th for some reason, so that's a nice little surprise.

rockx4

Dec 8, 2017
Very excited to finally play this, it's been sitting on the switch waiting for unlock.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
I double dipped for the Switch version to support Zeboyd. Hope new players enjoy it. One of the best battle systems in the genre and the soundtrack is killer.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Veteran JRPG fans, jump in at the highest difficulty. The combat is great and you never have to grind.

I had a blast with it last year on PC.

Last edited:

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Great OT & I love the title. And in case anyway asks, yes, we specifically decided on having 3 planets 'cause of Phantasy Star.

OMG I did not know this!
Also, I see this is not in the US Eshop Top 30 or whatever on my Switch and that is just absurd to me. So,

If you love Chrono Trigger
If you love Sci-Fi
If you love planet hopping in your spare time
If you love or may be interested in Werezompires
If you love deep combat that is truly unique
If you love 16-bit OMFG soundtracks (can't overstate my love of the soundtrack)
If you love a large diverse cast of characters each with unique abilities
If you want an RPG that takes 12-25 hours instead of 100+ but is all action NO FILLER
If you want to support further rpgs from Zeboyd games
If you have a pulse, ~$15, and want rpg portable goodness

PLEASE BUY COSMIC STAR HEROINE!!!!!!

:)

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Game is great. Will happily double dip.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
You just convinced me with that. Thanks.

Awesome! Honestly I love super long rpgs a lot but this damn game...it packs itself to the GILLS. Balls to the wall beginning to end. It's so crazy that you feel like you've been through something much longer by the time you beat it, despite the shorter length. Also really replayable for me due to the huge roster of possible party members.

Slightly OT: werezompire can you just get the rights and make Phantasy Star 5 for us lol?

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
I bought and got pretty far into the ps4 version but I am going to restart and finish it on switch

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
I have played a little of it on the Vita but I wanted to clear some of my backlog first then restart it. What I played was awesome so I really hope you guys enjoy it.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
I am sooooo looking Forward to playing this.
Will shorten the waiting time for Spiderman and Tomb Raider

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
I really appreciate this game's simple yet thoughtful battle system... But the game puts in too many skill/items that some feel kinda so underused! Still, these days it's rare to come across a RPG with little to no filler, so it's hard to fault it. Love it!

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Bought it with my gold coins, won't be able to get round to playing it for a while though. Still no where near finishing Octopath.

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
I've been holding out for the physical release but I can't wait anymore, I went ahead and bought it now and will double dip when the time comes. Can't wait to get started on this.

Take5GiantSteps

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
Enjoy, everyone! Played it a few months back when it came out on Vita and really enjoyed myself.

Ark Heiral

Nov 16, 2017
Bought it already for PC but haven't played it yet. Since I need a new RPG for my Switch I guess I'll buy it again. (And I need a long break from Octopath Traveler)

Skulldead

Oct 27, 2017
Got the platinium trophy on ps4, was a fun ride, play on the highest difficulty possible if you are a JRPG veretan, each fight feel like a puzzle, feel really rewarding (but still get too easy near the end... too bad)

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting for this instead of Octopath, specifically because it doesn't have random battles. :-)

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Everyone who is into old school JRPGs should buy this game. One of my favorite JRPGs of the generation and they deserve ever sale they can get :)

Monado Blade

Oct 25, 2017
Kuala Lumpur
Preloaded and waiting for it to unlock. Double dipped after buying on Steam last year but never got time to play since I'm almost never at my gaming PC. Switch is great for me to enjoy this game!

stalfos

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't realize this was out this week, this actually works great for me timing-wise. Bought.

Namyu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want an RPG that takes 12-25 hours instead of 100+ but is all action NO FILLER

Yeah, some of the reviews are saying things like "this is a slight offering for a JRPG" but the game has a brisk pace and it really respects your time.

Double dipping to show my support. I really hope this takes off for you on Switch like a lot of indies have Rob, it's sad that the PC sales weren't very high.

Imerty

Oct 27, 2017
I've bought it on the PS4 but didn't play yet but I'm inclined to double dip because the Switch is the perfect platform to play a game like this.

Teeny

Oct 26, 2017
UK
OMG I did not know this!
Also, I see this is not in the US Eshop Top 30 or whatever on my Switch and that is just absurd to me. So,

If you love Chrono Trigger
If you love Sci-Fi
If you love planet hopping in your spare time
If you love or may be interested in Werezompires
If you love deep combat that is truly unique
If you love 16-bit OMFG soundtracks (can't overstate my love of the soundtrack)
If you love a large diverse cast of characters each with unique abilities
If you want to support further rpgs from Zeboyd games
If you have a pulse, ~$15, and want rpg portable goodness

PLEASE BUY COSMIC STAR HEROINE!!!!!!

:)

Chrono Trigger is one of my favourite games of all time. I've heard of this game but somehow it has passed me by. I guess that won't be the case any longer :D

I love all of those things.

superNESjoe

Developer at Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
This game is fantastic, we did the port in house, and I've been playing the retail version for a few weeks.

It's brilliantly paced, has some unique twists on its battle system, and features some of the best non-grind-focused difficulty options in an RPG of this style. I'd admit to being biased, but I was a big fan well before we ever got our hands on this. If you haven't played Cosmic Star, or any of these guy's games, jump on it. They should be a much bigger deal than they are.

ForteanMan

Oct 25, 2017
Dongguan, China
I purchased this when it finally came to Vita and then I pre-loaded it when it came to Switch. I think the Switch version is the one I will finally actually finish. Loved what I had played so far on Vita and can't wait to dive back in! Also, great OT!