• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
There are certainly jokes and a somewhat flippant tone, but I never got the idea that CSH was an indulgent reference game.

Yeah, I guess a flippant tone is sort of Zeboyd's thing. That just rubs me the wrong way in games for some reason, and especially in rpgs. Just breaks the sense of adventure for me.

The more I look at the game though, the more I want to try it out as it looks fantastic.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I already own the game on Vita—considering picking it up on Switch.

These games tend to absolutely kill me though. I think there is a place for humorous games, but I loved jrpgs in the first place because of the grand and urgent(ish) sort of adventure they presented (albeit with the occasional humor).

I found that these modern takes that sort of tongue-in-cheek reference the genre (and basically make fun of jrpg conventions) completely lose any possible interest I might have had.

That being said, I should give it a shot when I have the time (basically when I reach retirement at this point), as the game at least looks cool.

And please feel free to tell me if I am off the mark with the game, as I was excited about it from the first screenshots years ago, but sort of soured the more I was burned with modern "love letters" to the genre.

It has some jokes and humour in it but it's not a 4th wall breaking type game. It mostly plays it straight with the writing.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I bought the game twice at full price to support Zeboyd. I honestly haven't gotten around to it yet though. I'm playing Indivisible on Switcg right now and I think I'll make CSH my next playthrough

Deleted member 15457

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm 15 hours in, and it's a fantastic game! (Other then a bit of UI issues) It really says something about how cutthroat the indie game scene is if a game with this much care put into is this cheap.

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
I already own the game on Vita—considering picking it up on Switch.

These games tend to absolutely kill me though. I think there is a place for humorous games, but I loved jrpgs in the first place because of the grand and urgent(ish) sort of adventure they presented (albeit with the occasional humor).

I found that these modern takes that sort of tongue-in-cheek reference the genre (and basically make fun of jrpg conventions) completely lose any possible interest I might have had.

That being said, I should give it a shot when I have the time (basically when I reach retirement at this point), as the game at least looks cool.

And please feel free to tell me if I am off the mark with the game, as I was excited about it from the first screenshots years ago, but sort of soured the more I was burned with modern "love letters" to the genre.

I know what you mean I far prefer serious tones than comedy ones and I liked this game.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
It's somewhat short but it actually works to its advantage. It's a very tight experience and the battle system is FANTASTIC. Definitely a must buy at that price.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
After all the praise I saw for this game, I was, not disappointed but thinking "That's it ?"
It had some ok/good elements but it wasn't a revelation or hidden gem for me.

For that price it's obviously a very good deal though.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I paid the price of five and have yet to play it. Threads like these, however, help in piquing my interest in it again, so hopefully I'll get to it soon!
Yeah I also bought it awhile back and never finished it. I think I stopped right near the end of it. Love the look and feel of the game and general gameplay.

Ah, yes give me shit because i bought the game on sale.
I'm not giving anyone shit lol I'm just making an observation. I'd feel weird contacting the developer specifically if I bought into it at such a low price. It was like $15-20 at launch. I'm sure they would appreciate the love though.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Played it a bit and found the writing and dialog very poor and amateur. And is it me or are the npc sprites traced over the chrono trigger ones?

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
Yeah, Saw the post in the eshop thread and bough it.
I'm in the EU. I think its about €2,50 there. Dont know what's i about. Will check i out later today

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Played it a bit and found the writing and dialog very poor and amateur. And is it me or are the npc sprites traced over the chrono trigger ones?

There is no plagiarism if that is what you are implying.

You do realize this IS a two person studio right? Zeboyd Games aren't Square-Enix obviously, but its far cry to say the style of humor and writing they do is "amateur"

Maxime

Oct 27, 2017
I final finished it a couple weeks ago after a break (a 1.5 years break that is). Yes, the game is quite fun. I personally liked the writing. Lowered the difficulty on the end though (but it was more a case of laziness on my part than the game itself).

Also, it is really weird that the game still appears on the "Coming Soon" category on the web French eShop (on my end, at least).

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is that possible ? I forgot I had it. Bought it on my phone and now I have it two times (bought long time ago actually )

imgur.com

imgur.com

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Jun 22, 2019
I snagged it cause of the price.

Def worth it so far after a couple hours, and I don't even have nostalgia for the inspiration it draws from.

It doesn't feel like there's a world to explore, just backgrounds to run through, but I'm aware the game is made by only two people.

Writing has been fine for the most part (honestly better than most JRPGs, although that's an extremely low bar), but the pacing of some events were abrupt and some characters motivations kinda just drop out the sky without much setup.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hi everyone. Thanks for all the kind words and for the thread!

The game wasn't the mega-hit that I had been hoping for at launch, but between the various ports, discount sales like this, the Kickstarter, and the physical releases, I'd say the game has been plenty profitable so you don't need to feel bad for us or feel guilty for buying the game when it's on sale. Not successful enough for us to want to do a direct sequel, but far from a failure.

For this game's writing, I tried to go for a Lunar feel where the main story is serious but there's plenty of humor around the edges. We also tried to go for an action movie vibe where it's one over-the-top event after another.

We spent a lot of time studying various classic games to try to nail the feel, but no, we didn't trace over Chrono Trigger sprites.

We released Cthulhu Saves Christmas last year which is a smaller-scale game with a similar battle system and more of a comedy angle. It's only on PC at the moment, but we're hoping to have it out on consoles soon. And we're currently working on a Shakespearean-themed magical girl game called This Way Madness Lies. Hoping to have that out before the end of the year.

commish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow crazy price. Such a a well made game.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Been on my radar for so long. Finally snagged it, though I feel a bit bad for getting it so cheap.

Cheers!

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I grabbed it too. Excited to give it a spin.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The game wasn't the mega-hit that I had been hoping for at launch, but between the various ports, discount sales like this, the Kickstarter, and the physical releases, I'd say the game has been plenty profitable so you don't need to feel bad for us or feel guilty for buying the game when it's on sale. Not successful enough for us to want to do a direct sequel, but far from a failure.

For this game's writing, I tried to go for a Lunar feel where the main story is serious but there's plenty of humor around the edges. We also tried to go for an action movie vibe where it's one over-the-top event after another.

We spent a lot of time studying various classic games to try to nail the feel, but no, we didn't trace over Chrono Trigger sprites.

We released Cthulhu Saves Christmas last year which is a smaller-scale game with a similar battle system and more of a comedy angle. It's only on PC at the moment, but we're hoping to have it out on consoles soon. And we're currently working on a Shakespearean-themed magical girl game called This Way Madness Lies. Hoping to have that out before the end of the year.

It's great to hear that things worked out for CSH. It totally deserved every bit of success it got.

Looking forward to This Way Madness Lies.

iag

Oct 27, 2017
Got it, thanks.

At first I thought it would be a generic RPG Maker game, but I'm really liking it, specially the 'videos' and the OST, it really adds to the value of the game.

I'm still a little confused about the battle system, but that's on me, as I'm playing it on the second easiest difficulty and it seems I don't need to understand it properly to beat enemies. Maybe I'll try changing it to a harder setting later. I'm on chapter 4 btw.

Cheddahz

Oct 25, 2017
The writing in the game is not great, but the gameplay is some of the best that I've seen in a JRPG styled game and it's def. worth the asking price here for that alone

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA

Are you still planning to do that one project in which you are doctors that are shrunk down to fight viruses? Or decided that wasn't a direction you wanted to go?

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic little game.
I got it some time ago, and I love feelind like a kid playing with his SNES with this game.

Gameplay is really good as well :)

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

You really crafted a great battle system in this game. I expected the game to be an enjoyable romp but I never expected the game to have such a satisfying and deep battle system. You guys should be really proud of this project!! I hope to try your next game it it drops on Switch!!

Saicho

Oct 27, 2017
It's been 99cts before

i don't get why since it's an amazing game

Not on Switch according to Dekudeals. This is lowest it has been.

Keep up the good work!

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Oh! I was looking at this a while back, had it in my wish list. Bought it now and it's really good so far two hours in. The music and combat surprised me a lot and the writing is not bad at all. Will definetly support the devs on their next switch game.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
It's worth that at least, but I can't say I cared much for the game. But at that price, you may as well try it for yourself if you're interested in it.