• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Announcement: https://s.famitsu.com/news/201905/19176361.html

Interview: https://s.famitsu.com/news/201905/19176194.html

Cotton Project 40th Anniversary site: https://www.success-corp.co.jp/info/40th_anniversary/cotton/

D65REpiVsAALe-_

D65REw4UYAE8gxm

D65RE22UYAA97AS

Credit to Heartskips for the translation of the announcement:

Sangatsu Usagi no Mori Co. is announcing today (May 19, 2019) that they're starting to publish game software for home consoles, via their game department BEEP. Their first release is the latest game on the Cotton Series, called Cotton Reboot (tentative title). It'll be released to Nintendo Switch, PS4 and Steam and is based on the "Brush Up" version of Cotton for the X68000.

They're also releasing the reboot on the X68000 which is being ported first, it will release in Summer:
https://www.beep-shop.com/sap/cotton/

We will release the reboot version (X68k disk version) of X68000 in summer! !Faithfully reprint the original X68000 version! Add difficulty adjustment and new elements to make the game more fun and playable!

Update:

Some details from the interview (machine translated):

How the studio Rocket Engine will be porting the game:
'Cotton Reboot (provisional)' is characterized by the porting of X68000, not the porting of the arcade version. First of all, we are promoting perfect porting of the X68000 version by program analysis instead of emulation.

According to the interview, they chose the X86000 game to port and not the arcade game due to it being more fun. This is probably referring to how the gameplay would have been designed for making money in the arcades which means higher difficulty.

According to the interview, the Switch and PS4 releases will have physical and digital versions in Japan.

Their plans afterwards (machine translation):
Question: By the way, after "Cotton Reboot (provisional)" is released, will you continue publishing home games etc?

Maruyama: Of course this year we will focus on 'cotton reboot (provisional)'. However, I think that this flow should not be interrupted, and the second and third bullets are also in view. I think many of you are looking at the latest blockbuster games, the long-awaited sequel to that title, or a game like the overseas AAA title. However, it is a number of masterpieces released in the 1980's and 2000's at the root of which we should not forget. After all, you will want to play the masterpiece again. I would like to play various games while fighting with Rocket Engine.

Rocket Engine are a studio that released a game called Trouble Witches Origin - Episode1 Daughters of Amalgam - and has Cotton playable in-game as a DLC character.

In the interview, they mentioned you'll get to play as Pril from Trouble Witches in the Cotton Reboot.

y_5cdb0a067cad0.jpg

Last edited:

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
Steam? Nice. I've only played Cotton 2 on the Sega Saturn, but I'd like to play more of them.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, so it's a reboot but it also comes with a version of the original if I'm reading it correctly.

More details

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Ah, so it's a reboot but it also comes with a version of the original if I'm reading it correctly.

It's a port of the X68000 version with two modes, one that's more or less as it was on X68000 (but with touch-ups like extra control options and so on) and a modern arrange mode that has 16:9 and other tbd features for modern hardware.

They're also reissuing the X68000 portion for genuine hardware, on floppy disk.

Oct 30, 2017
cool, now panorama cotton for mega drive mini please. let's do this.

more cotton everywhere!

takoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, Cotton has always been my favorite Cute 'Em Up series.

Her recent appearance as a guest character in Umihara Kawase Fresh made me think a Cotton game might be in the works. Glad one got announced so soon, hope this leads to further Cotton projects like a completely new game.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
A NEW COTTON SEQUEL IN 2019!?
Hell yes! What an unexpected treat!

I honestly hadn't heard anything from Cotton since the Trouble Witches Origins DLC in 2017 had her as a dlc character with a ridiculously powerful spread bullet.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Pacific NW
You know, at the end of it's lifespan, the Switch is going to be seen as the ultimate system for retro re-releases and compilations. It's already a dream console in this regard.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Updated OP with new links, quotes from the interview and screenshot.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Amazing news, pls include the TGCD soundtrack as an option!

I hope they also follow up with a Cotton 2+Boomerang combo.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Just learned about this and I am really interested in getting this. Been wanting to play the Cotton series for some time now.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It would be kind of neat if the Steam port lit up LED keyboards in time with the music as a homage to the X68000 original.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
This thread has made me realize I misplaced my old Saturn copy of Cotton Boomerang....now I'm sad.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So can I order the X68000 version (and the new teacup) online, either directly from BEEP or somewhere else, or do I have to beg a mate in Tokyo to brave the Infinite Maid Cafe Hellscape and head to Akihabara?

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
This resurgence of shmup sequels and reboots recently has been quite welcome.
Quite welcome, indeed.
New Cotton and Strikers games announced in the same week? Hell yes.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
So can I order the X68000 version (and the new teacup) online, either directly from BEEP or somewhere else, or do I have to beg a mate in Tokyo to brave the Infinite Maid Cafe Hellscape and head to Akihabara?

You'll have to try and see if you can order it online. BEEP did ship overseas a copy of Umihara Kawase Fresh that came in SNES style packaging to someone here recently.

BAN PUNCHER

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
You'll have to try and see if you can order it online. BEEP did ship overseas a copy of Umihara Kawase Fresh that came in SNES style packaging to someone here recently.
Looks like you can order using an Amazon JP account from BEEP though I wonder if that will work for me seeing as how Amazon JP themselves stopped shipping to Australia because of some new convoluted bullshit import tax that started here in the middle of last year.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll check out what the skinny is later today.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Huh. That's interesting. Last I checked, BEEP didn't ship overseas.

Awesome news.

The X68000 version was definitely an improvement of the arcade game

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=64589

Yikes! That's a lot of homing bullets. YOU DO? That's more of a YOU DON'T difficulty.

Also...hold up. Is there a special bonus for not grabbing any of the tea? That's amazing if true.

Last edited:

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
For a quick breakdown of versions for Cotton 1:

Arcade (Sega System-16): original release and hard as fuck. S16 was basically like a beefed up precursor to the MegaDrive.

PC Engine/TurboGrafx-CD: somewhat downgraded port but still solid, still hard as hell, and it actually released in the US! Ported by Hudson and has an AMAZING remixed soundtrack.

Sharp X68000: enhanced visuals and reworked design, making it easier but still tough. I'm glad they're using this version as the base but I hope they can throw in that PCE soundtrack as an extra.

PlayStation: More or less a direct arcade port.

Neo Geo Pocket Color: late release on the system, came out in limited quantities in Europe but it's US release was canceled. It's VERY cut down (to the point of being a different game basically, like Sonic 2 vs Pocket Adventure) and a ton easier but is still a pretty decent release for the platform considering.