• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Thread posted on behalf of Flux

I was thinking about this, the 1080p/30fps cap would allow for LOTS of headroom and power for other things like lighting, textures, shading, models, shadows, physics etc. 1080p will always be good enough to display the visuals and 30fps despite the hate is perfectly playable. The Xbox One X has 6TF of power (not to sound like PR) and aiming for a resolution and fps traditionally for its lesser system (Xbox One OG) would give the developers a lot of playroom.

Wonder if someone like The Coalition, 343i or even a third party could achieve photorealism with the set parameters?

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know about photorealism but compare it to a PC with similar power running at 1080p 30fps with max settings. That's what you'd get.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I mean, that new Last of Us cut-scene looked photorealistic at points. We're getting extremely close now, but I still think there's a little way to go.

Wordstar

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
well if you look at what ps4 can do with 2tf at 1080p i guess if naughty dog coded for xbox one x you would achieve this easily at 1080p with a machine 3 times as fast. Sadly the tech guys over at console maker land decided to waste an entire generation worth of gpu power on resolution upgrades to 4k alone. sad story. And thats coming form someone who has ps4 pro is getting one x next week and has a 4k hdr television ;-)

kenta

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure but I wish they'd try. 4K seems totally unnecessary to me personally... it always seems like -- just as soon as developers start to get a handle on hardware -- there's some new technology that emerges that pushes their progress backwards. I don't need any more pixels, thanks!

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If Gran Turismo sport can look photorealistic and 1080p30 in the replays on base PS4 (and don't forget Driveclub), then certainly. In fact, The X could run GTS-level graphics at 1080p60.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Well how do you define photorealism?

If you mean like Uncharted 4, then sure

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Photorealism is a folly... Great but old video on the subject below....

TLDW: If you have a truly Photorealistic environment no way you will have true fluid dynamics in realtime, and then what about NPC AI reactions to play actions etc etc etc.... without it all it's not going to feel / play right... Ray tracing for light is not common in engines and is costly, cost of asset creation is high enough already etc.

Allseeingeye

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, not even remotely close. Pc's are more powerful, by a large margin and can;t.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
This actually will interest me going forward with the XOne X. When Microsoft dumps support for the XOne and continues support for XOne X and whatever their next generation console ends up being (X2?), will we see games targeting lower resolutions to improve image quality and push new effects?

This of course assumes Microsoft is switching to a cell phone model upgrade path by which there will always be a high end model and a low end model of their device available that works with current apps/games.

Personally, I hope this is how the future will look. Incremental upgrades keeping consoles up-to-date with PCs. No more strict 5-8 year generations holding graphics/games back.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
We're getting close. Environments are there thanks to photogrammetry but I don't know if real-time rendering techniques have reached the point where a photo-realistic is possible. For instance Kingsglaive, despite being pre-rendered, still isn't able to have totally convincing human characters.

So I'm not sure that full photo-realism is even something that can be brute forced with technology at this point.

Starlite

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Probably not. You can probably get fairly close if it's just an environment with flora, but lack of texture detail is always gonna give it away when you get close.
But if the game has people, it's just not gonna happen, even with a higher graphical fidelity. The human brain is very good at determining if they're looking at a real person or not, and there are a lot of small, almost indiscernible details you gotta get right if you're gonna fool anyone.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
You can't really objectively define "photorealism" in the context of a full game. If the question was whether the the XB1X could render a specific scene at 1080/30 and have it be identical to a real life picture, I would say sure, but that really depends on how complex the scene is.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The problem here is what games target high end PCs when being made?

I can't think of many.

Crysis maybe was the last??
PC games are more flexible than in the past, they doesn't mean they don't make use of newer high end stuff. Even the xb1x at best will match mid tonmid high end PC's, assuming they're optimized for the system. And just like PC's, they also have to account for the lower tier system(s).

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Not really because what we're seeing as high advancements lies more within character models. The problem is there are areas which are inevitably MORE demanding, like environnements, lighting or IQ which prevents photorealism. Take one of the most advanced studios on that side, Naughty Dog. Look at what they're doing on Uncharted 4. While character models are great during cutscenes, you have to remember they take a hit ingame and that even in cutscenes, a lot of areas are laging behind, namely lighting (to photorealistic standards I mean, not simply amazing), shadows, environnements.

Allseeingeye

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not how it works. Most games are tied to consoles and this especially includes games with a high enough budget and the goal set for such graphics.
So you think Console can hit photo realism...that is the subject, the answer is no..Doesn't matter? It matters a lot, PC's are already quite a ways ahead. No amount of money/budget can do miracles. All hardware has a limit, they will hit a roadblock faster than they would on PC.

Oct 29, 2017
What does photorealism even mean. A weathered sepia picture from the 1880s? How many megapixel? Or do you mean experiential, like mediated presence?

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Meh.. I'm sure the Xbox One X could render a real 1080p photo 30 times per second. But would that be any fun to play?

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So you think Console can hit photo realism...that is the subject, the answer is no..Doesn't matter? It matters a lot, PC's are already quite a ways ahead. No amount of money/budget can do miracles. All hardware has a limit, they will hit a roadblock faster than they would on PC.
But you said PC can't while we just don't know as there is no one trying to do that.
People in this thread are arguing about the photorealism of GTS and we have PC's that have 10x the computing power.
Consoles won't be able to, for sure though.

Allseeingeye

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But you said PC can't while we just don't know as there is no one trying to do that.
People in this thread are arguing about the photorealism of GTS and we have PC's that have 10x the computing power.
Consoles won't be able to, for sure though.
They aren't? I am pretty sure someone is always pushing these machines as far as they can..every day,. It's not there yet.

Wordstar

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
people just dont get what a console actualy is and what advantages they bring to the table. Its games tailored to exact that pin point hardware. If you do that with a 10tf PC, i bet you wouldnt be able to imagine what would be possible. Sureley 6tf dedicated konsole hardware could pump out something incredible at 1080 when coded to the metal.

Allseeingeye

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Until proven otherwise,I don't see any game on PC targeting, let's say, a 10tf GPU as a baseline and is equipped with the right budget to do so.
If you know of any game, then show us which.
They do this all the time, when testing engines, how far they can push, then scale back so it runs/performs well. I worked in software development for years...You don't think they don;t find out the maximum they can push these machines all the time, and find the breaking point? It's standard practice. We only see the end result in whats feasible...Photo realism , is a long ways away.

I don't think there's a Crysis equivalent currently which only runs in a playable state on the most powerful GPU on the market. Even Star Citizen runs pretty well on mid-tier GPUs,
That's not what I am referring too. What we see is the best they can do with the given hardware, they are pushing the limits constantly.

Horizon: Zero Dawn is closer to photo-realism than any PC exclusive game I can think of. It runs at 1080p/30fps of a Standard PS4, and of course it would run better of high-end PC, but it isn't on those platforms. The bulk of the money and technical expertise in the industry is leveraged against making console games, then PC ports of those games.

I'm no expert but as far as photo-realism goes it seems like a photo-realistic console game (i.e. one that looks equivalent to footage recorded from the real world at the same resolution & frame-rate) would come before a photo-realistic PC game.
Not what i was even saying..... I don't disagree with this?

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017

Horizon: Zero Dawn is closer to photo-realism than any PC exclusive game I can think of. It runs at 1080p/30fps of a Standard PS4, and of course it would run better on high-end PCs, but it isn't on those platforms. The bulk of the money and technical expertise in the industry is leveraged against making console games, then PC ports of those games. The pace of graphical progression is set by gaming consoles.

I'm no expert but as far as photo-realism goes it seems like a photo-realistic console game (i.e. one that looks equivalent to footage recorded from the real world at the same resolution & frame-rate) would come before a photo-realistic PC game.

Not what i was even saying..... I don't disagree with this?

It was in response to the bolded:

PCs are following the lead of console games.

Last edited: