• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the PC platform kind of answers this question for you. There's significantly more power available than an XOX, and you can bump up graphics all the way up by keeping a 1080p30 target.

There's still nothing approaching actual photo realism.

Oct 29, 2017
Not with organic elements, but it is is a little metal screw or nut that rolls down a table and everything is really limited to that small environment, and other things like that, it could really proximate the looks rendering software. They'll have to fake the ray tracing, but with little metallic objects I think you can fool people in real time.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We do have photo-realistic CG.

We just don't have CG that's photo-realistic 100% of the time. Certain things (environments, static objects) are regularly the product of photo-realistic CG. Other things (human faces, hair/fur, moving clothing) is more difficult. The same is true of real-time graphics rendering, but you could in theory have a game (such as a racing game) that omits the things that computer graphics struggles with.

Is it just me or does the guy talking in that clip remind anyone else of Mark Cerny in terms of his voice and cadence?

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
No.

Gran Turismo doesn't look photorealistic.
I dunno man, i know enough about games to know this looks pretty photorealistic... In every sense of the word.

9vYsT.jpeg

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
im sure a game limited to 720p/30 could look absolutely mind blowing but photorealism is a tall order one that i don't think it can reach although an amazing game would still be created (in terms of visuals). I cant imagine what someone would be able to do with that hardware when we have something like TLOU2 looking like that on a PS4.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno man, i know enough about games to know this looks pretty photorealistic... In every sense of the word.

I'd have to be completely wasted, have my glasses off and be looking through a pair of panty hose to believe that was a real car.

Granted there are much better examples of this game than that shot.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I mean my computer is better and I play games at 1080p. We're just not quite there a good deal of the time, even with incredible art.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem with photorealism is that we don't really have the hardware and/or techniques for global photorealism. Photorealism tests often take place in interior environments where the shortcomings are less apparent. This demo was made 2 years ago.

There are a lot of things that hold up in selective screenshots, but fall apart under closer scrutiny. Skyrim graphics mods are an example of this.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PT was photo realistic on the PS4 so it all depends on the talent.
Eh... PT has some pretty obvious shortcomings. Strange lighting, inaccurate reflections, and liberal use of chromatic aberration to smooth everything over. CA is pretty good for making graphics "pop", but while it kinda-sorta does qualify as photo-realism, CA-drowned graphics often don't hold up under scrutiny. Dying Light is an example of this.

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
That's not even in game, that's just a mode where it puts down a car and tries to render the lighting from the already taken real world image and put it on the car.

Is that what its doing?! Lol, i hate racing games so the only shots i see of this game are on the resetera psn community, i just assumed it was all game... I stand corrected!

I'd have to be completely wasted, have my glasses off and be looking through a pair of panty hose to believe that was a real car.

Granted there are much better examples of this game than that shot.

Yeah i thought the whole scene was rendered not just the car... Lol Thats on me since i dont follow racing games... Just the random screenshot here and there.

LoyalPhoenix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is that what its doing?! Lol, i hate racing games so the only shots i see of this game are on the resetera psn community, i just assumed it was all game... I stand corrected!
lol no ign has a video with a dev showcasing it before release. They just took irl photos of places and you can place cars which then the system will render in with the appropriate reflections. GT looks good but not that good lol

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if Crytek had unlimited money to make a third person action adventure game. It would look something like this, which is rendered in realtime on a high end PC. Using outdated CryEngine tech. So it would probably look better in 2017.

Although they are going for a more stylized look. It's a shame we haven't seen a photorealistic CryEngine project in years.

SomaXD

Oct 27, 2017
lol no ign has a video with a dev showcasing it before release. They just took irl photos of places and you can place cars which then the system will render in with the appropriate reflections. GT looks good but not that good lol

That makes more sense... I was seriously staring at the scenery trying to figure out how it looked so real... I was super impressed for a hot second.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think it's a matter of processing power at this stage. Engines are not built for this yet. We will get there tho. It's our graphical manifest destiny.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
We can replicate photo realism with a talented enough team and some trickery but not a chance, if youre talking about rendering point for point photo realism.

You need a farm of absolute monster level processors to render single frames of cg in high budget films. And that takes hours upon hours per frame.

A commercial box is never going to have that fidelity or brute power, not any time in the near future unless theres a major technological breakthrough.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Those CPUs are still too weak.

You can make the image bigger just fine. But if you start increasing graphical complexity, it will all choke on the limitations of the CPU.

Doesn't matter if it runs at 720p.

Mystic Vivi

Oct 28, 2017
We are many years from achieving photorealism. Many more from it becoming standard.

Everyone should understand a 1080ti can be brought to its knees with ease @1080p. 4K even worse. VR not fairing very well either. I was shocked at how much I had to scale back in the lighting department alone.

It's important to understand that the best software engineers worldwide are working and bringing magical solutions once thought impossible. This is just a bandaid though because software isn't the issue.

It's important to remember we are only 50-60 years into this tech revolution. We are nowhere near the end and most important we are nowhere near the power levels required for a real physics engine let alone that plus several dozen highly complex systems all working in perfect harmony to bring you the games you see today.

Look at TLoU, GTS, Forza Horizon 3, Mario, Destiny 2, abd dozens more excellent games. Look at what Unreal gives people like me. Unity as well. We are all living in a period that no one before could even imagine and no one in the future will ever know. It's a magical time to be a person here on our 3rd rock from the sun.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
It deppends.

The only thing that I've seen from videogames that seems photorealistic to me is this Dying Light screenshot posted a long time ago in the old PC screenshots thread. Forgot the name of the user, sorry!
32720355993_a5380964a8_b.jpg

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Nope. I'm fairly sure that even a game built exclusively for a top-of-the-line gaming rig would still not be photo realistic, mainly due the character models and the uncanny valley. You could probably make some very convincing environments tho.