• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Let's say the southerners of the USA do start a war against the federal government, what are the odds of them actually achieving anything? Would parts of the military defect with gear? Would they be able to take over and control territories?

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
No being from a state full of hill and mountain people they'd turn on themselves when they had to decide if Pall Mall or Marlboro was their official cigarette.

FreeMufasa

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yes because the US government and military would allow it to happen initially. And a lot of white people would be sympathetic. Because they're misguided but one of the boys.

Any other group would be smashed within seconds

Oct 25, 2017
Control territory? No.

Fight guerilla style for years, probably.
It also wouldn't surprise me if it was a significant enough movement someone like Russia would try and get some RPGs and such to them through Mexico just to stretch it out as much as possible.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
No the best bet any militia has at taking over territory in the U.S. is moving into the middle of nowhere. Occupying towns with under 100 people and just quietly going under the radar. If they actually tried to make any real gains and forcefully took over a somewhat big city. That shit would be sectioned off in days and the government would ride in.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll dudes who have never been to the south have to understand it's not only civil war reenacters. I live in a safe, growing suburb that is <50% white in a heavy red district. Sometimes I wonder what crazy political shit my neighbors believe, but I promise you the vast majority of people here have no desire to go to personally go to war over anything.

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on if they'd be able to keep organized for any length of time, chances are they'd get isolated long enough and start killing each other off or trying to turn themselves in.

But no they would crash hard.

Deleted member 1086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boise Area, Idaho
the "south will rise again" militia is half the time drunk on bud light so no, I don't see them as much a threat. only way they are harmful to society is if you say "Clemson/Alabama/Florida Gators/etc sucks!"

or if you ask "what color/colors is your dang ol Chevy truck anyhows?"

Oct 25, 2017
What is an assault rifle to drone strikes?

Are we forgetting how long its taken for a huge multinational coalition to fight guys hiding in caves with guns from the 1940's?
It'd be also near impossible to get away with bombing weddings, gatherings, etc in the US unlike elsewhere in the world.

It could be bad or it could be nothing at all, outside matters(foreign interference, President's position, etc) would really determine everything.
Militia has no chance of winning or even major victories regardless.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
What is an assault rifle to drone strikes?

Can't let drones off the chain on U.S. soil in a populated area.

For all the wonders of the modern military, some guys with basic small arms that knew the terrain better than them and had the sympathy of the local public fought them to a standstill in both Iraq and Afghanistan. It was only after the local populace turned on insurgents progress happened in Iraq.

The military wouldn't be willing to fight a massive civilian movement to begin with, as we have a volunteer military that would be concerned about their families in the event of a civil war.

Oct 25, 2017
Not to derail, but what is even the point of the 2nd ammendment in modern days, given that it provides like 0 resistance against like the slightest military effort?

Dec 24, 2017
Not to derail, but what is even the point of the 2nd ammendment in modern days, given that it provides like 0 resistance against like the slightest military effort?

One of the amazing things about the United States is its environmental diversity. It's actually one of the reasons why an invasion of the United States would be very difficult, even if a military force were to actually establish a beach head (Not fucking likely by anyone.) on either coast or an over the land invasion from Canada or Mexico.

Local insurgency groups, regardless of political affiliation/intent, with intimate knowledge of the surrounding area, including urban areas, would present a formidable guerrilla resistance to any invading/occupation force. We have so many guns. SO MANY.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Any militia rising against the largest army in the history of mankind will be fucking crushed so fast I almost would love to see it be tried. Almost.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017

The US population would crush what little of the functioning military (remember, soldiers are citizens too) actually musters if it ever came to that. I don't know where this videogame level of understanding conflicts come from. It's not like you need to look back far in history to see a ragtag group stand up and hold their own. The country was basically founded from it. All the technology in the world won't help you if there's no morale, supply lines are cut, and you're outnumbered 50:1.

Tabs2002

Feb 1, 2018
They won't be crashed at the first available opportunity, they have Trump as an ally.

Amnixia

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
I'd think they would lose, just depends on how many southerners rise up (doubt the US army would massacre everyone).
Also would they try to break off the US or conquer it?

Any militia rising against the largest army in the history of mankind will be fucking crushed so fast I almost would love to see it be tried. Almost.

The Vietcong won though?

Deleted member 19003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your premise seems to be off. Backwards trump Republicans are everywhere, not just localized in the south. It's a rural vs urban problem nation wide. So no, they would not be able militarize very effectively.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'd think they would lose, just depends on how many southerners rise up (doubt the US army would massacre everyone).
Also would they try to break off the US or conquer it?

The Vietcong won though?
Not sure if serious with this. You know how much has changed with technology, data, and our military right? And how different the geography of the US is compared to Vietnam?

Tapeworm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Military wouldn't stand a chance. The south is full of people who love their land and their country. The military is full of people looking for a free college handout. A patriot trumps a soldier every time.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
i'm now imaging a scenario where Trump loses in 2020 and declares that he's still the President of the states he won and a huge crisis results from this

jesus christ

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The government and police are petrified of another Waco and would probably give them free reign to terrorize minorities with the leaders and most dangerous being arrested by DHS depending on how much news they are generating.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
It wouldn't happen. While yes, the US is racist as fuck, it likes order more. I'd be shocked if a militia could even take over a town with a 3 digit population.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Yes because the US government and military would allow it to happen initially. And a lot of white people would be sympathetic. Because they're misguided but one of the boys.

Any other group would be smashed within seconds

The government and police are petrified of another Waco and would probably give them free reign to terrorize minorities with the leaders and most dangerous being arrested by DHS depending on how much news they are generating.
I can see this happening. Look at what happened with the Bundy Standoff and the occupation that happened after that. In the case of the latter they were allowed to take over a federal building and hold a town hostage for over a month before they surrendered.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Anti-government militias already exist and have for a long time now, Oklahoma City bomber Timothy McVeigh was connected to the Michigan Militia which after the bombing did kind of go away for awhile but has made a come back which I'm sure was just a coincidence and not because of a black man becoming president. Nope!

With the current administration and the people in charge at the state and local levels they don't really need the groups so much, they've burrowed themselves in our government.

Probably, Waco along with Ruby Ridge worked a lot of the anti-government nuts into a frenzy. Which in the case of Waco is fucked up considering the shit that was allegedly going on there with their pedophile leader David Koresh. Then again, the extreme right seems pretty cool with men preying on kids/minors when it suits them.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand. Why would it be just Southerners? Is there something that separates them from the rest of Red America?

TheRagnCajun

Oct 29, 2017
I doubt they would have a chance.

I do however believe that they would fare very well against a zombie-apocalypse type scenario.