• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Not sure if serious with this. You know how much has changed with technology, data, and our military right? And how different the geography of the US is compared to Vietnam?

Not serious NO, but I would imagine that a large part of the US army in the South would join the resistance giving them at least the same level of tech.

Eh that's a simplified view. The US consistently won actual battles.

They still lost/gave up though. That's what counts.

Oct 27, 2017
No, would be crushed immediately.

Don't mean to sound aggressive here but why would the south in particular do this anyway?

Not everyone who lives in the south is a truck owning johnny rebel confederate flag waving Trump supporter with a KKK membership pining for the days of confederate glory.

Plenty of people on either side of the political aisle would hammer that down locally before it even spread, and let's say it did pick up momentum, the US military would explosively hammer that down instantly.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it would be as effective as the civil war, times are drastically different. Also, not all southerners are crazy enough to do something that stupid.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Are we forgetting how long its taken for a huge multinational coalition to fight guys hiding in caves with guns from the 1940's?
It'd be also near impossible to get away with bombing weddings, gatherings, etc in the US unlike elsewhere in the world.

It could be bad or it could be nothing at all, outside matters(foreign interference, President's position, etc) would really determine everything.
Militia has no chance of winning or even major victories regardless.

This is what I was about to say. The US is using drones and soldiers against a bunch of regular guys with guns in Afghanistan right now, has been doing it for close to 20 years, and still can't beat them. In the US it wouldn't be a conventional conflict. It would be a bunch of people slipping into the general population, setting off bombs, shooting people, and hiding in caves for 20-plus years.

Oh, and thousands of tiny armed militias technically already exist in the US. They exploded in numbers during the Obama years and are still around now, a good chunk of them former military people. You'd have to ask someone else on ResetERA, but people really have no idea how many there are. Mostly they're waiting for the government to try to take their guns away or pull some other "big move" or something.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not serious NO, but I would imagine that a large part of the US army in the South would join the resistance giving them at least the same level of tech.

They still lost/gave up though. That's what counts.
People stationed in the south aren't necessarily from the south and as such there wouldn't be a uniform revolt to help a bunch of traitors get tech. That and they still wouldn't have access to drones.

But even if they did that would make up such a small portion of the military and with our governments ability to track every single movement we make there would be no way they don't get wiped within a span of a day.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Oh of course. I don't think it's s comparable situation as there would be much more incentive to keep fighting when it's your own country and not some political quagmire on the other side of the planet.

Doh. I kind of didn't even take that into consideration. You're definitely right.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I reeeeeeeeeeeeaally doubt it

For starters, cross state pollination is commonplace.

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
No militia could do much more than what took place in South Carolina. They *might* take a military installation, but that'd be as far as it went. They'd be decisively crushed.

Menelaus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Odd scenario...the South shows no signs of rising.

Extremists are more focused on the concept of "Acadia" these days...taking back the PNW for whites. They might have local traction there, Bundy style, for a while, but would ultimately get stomped out by the military.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
Wish they'd rise again so we can just let them go. Sick of the southern states holding back progress while eating up federal money at a higher rate than most states.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
Yes because the US government and military would allow it to happen initially. And a lot of white people would be sympathetic. Because they're misguided but one of the boys.

Any other group would be smashed within seconds
This. I can see an Appalachian area essentially ending up isolated in this fashion, even if unofficially. A no go zone for outsiders.

Oct 26, 2017
Let's say the southerners of the USA do start a war against the federal government, what are the odds of them actually achieving anything? Would parts of the military defect with gear? Would they be able to take over and control territories?
ahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahah.

no.

we'll dump their bodies in the gulf. fuck everything about the confederacy and those who glorify it.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
The US population would crush what little of the functioning military (remember, soldiers are citizens too) actually musters if it ever came to that. I don't know where this videogame level of understanding conflicts come from. It's not like you need to look back far in history to see a ragtag group stand up and hold their own. The country was basically founded from it. All the technology in the world won't help you if there's no morale, supply lines are cut, and you're outnumbered 50:1.

We had backing from the French. The American revolution would've failed if not for them.

That's also how most of modern history has been. Unless you have the majority of the population on your side, you'll need help from another country.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I was about to say. The US is using drones and soldiers against a bunch of regular guys with guns in Afghanistan right now, has been doing it for close to 20 years, and still can't beat them. In the US it wouldn't be a conventional conflict. It would be a bunch of people slipping into the general population, setting off bombs, shooting people, and hiding in caves for 20-plus years.

Oh, and thousands of tiny armed militias technically already exist in the US. They exploded in numbers during the Obama years and are still around now, a good chunk of them former military people. You'd have to ask someone else on ResetERA, but people really have no idea how many there are. Mostly they're waiting for the government to try to take their guns away or pull some other "big move" or something.

A militia group would want to get territory though. ISIS for example tried to do this and have been losing a lot of territory as soon as the coalition got involved. And they have much more current technology.

Wish they'd rise again so we can just let them go. Sick of the southern states holding back progress while eating up federal money at a higher rate than most states.

Just fuck everyone in the South who likes being a part of the US I guess (aka 99% of the people who live here).

Not to mention there are tens of millions of conservatives that live outside of the South.

Edit: also the South has a huge chunk of natural resources and people that are incredibly valueble to the US economy.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's always been strange to me that guys who claim to be patriotic sometimes also have a penchant for flying the rebel flag, even in the north.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Are we forgetting how long its taken for a huge multinational coalition to fight guys hiding in caves with guns from the 1940's?
It'd be also near impossible to get away with bombing weddings, gatherings, etc in the US unlike elsewhere in the world.

It could be bad or it could be nothing at all, outside matters(foreign interference, President's position, etc) would really determine everything.
Militia has no chance of winning or even major victories regardless.
Those guys are also part of a death embrassing terror group who believe dying fighting the enemy gains them access to paradise, etc. No militia in the US is winning against the full and undivided attention of the US military.

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
People always want to thought experiment secession and it always begins by overestimating how many people actually want to secede.

Actual armed separatist movements in the U.S. are tiny -- and they aren't exclusively white or southern.

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
As someone from the south, no. Absolutely not. The vast majority of those types are full of hot air and would buckle under the slightest amount of pressure from an outside source, or from within. It's much easier for them to scream on Facebook and Twitter and put ugly stickers on their car than it is for them to actually put together a plan of action. Any civilian "uprising" in the south would be put down without much violence within a week or two at most.

The idea of such a movement gaining traction is about as ludicrous as the notion of the US being on the cusp of another civil war.

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
is this thought experiment from the cross-town rival school to the "the troops could form a football team" school?

Kite

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol The vast majority of the south has no desire to war against the government and those that are mostly full of crap. Just look at all the wannabe jihadists who went to the ME to fight their holy war only to come back begging for their citizenship back. We're too pampered and comfortable to actually fight, people barely care enough to get off the couch and vote.

Lmo2017

Oct 25, 2017
To the east of Parts Unknown...
Yes because the US government and military would allow it to happen initially. And a lot of white people would be sympathetic. Because they're misguided but one of the boys.

Any other group would be smashed within seconds

The real answer. There's way too much soft support for some of these groups to just have direct opposition happen immediately. Trumps already pardoned such types, the government at this time is actually supporting them. They won't get shot down until they overstep and start biting the hand that feeds them. They're useful idiots.

Thurston Last

Banned
Jul 26, 2018
Not to derail, but what is even the point of the 2nd ammendment in modern days, given that it provides like 0 resistance against like the slightest military effort?

Obviously the need for a militia is no more, but the 2nd amendment still stands.

Basically the way it is written reads as if the need for a militia is a given, therefore the right to bear arms shall not be infringed. It does not say, as long as a militia is needed, the right to bear arms shall not be infringed.

Mar 10, 2018
The South is really swampy, right? The militia can use that to their advantage. The white man cannot fight in forests, jungles, bushes, etc. Got rekt in 'Nam.

Catdaddy

Oct 27, 2017
TN
Considering a large chunk of people living in the South aren't from the South…no.

Also, even if this were to happen it would be born in a rural areas and would be destroyed once it hits urban areas. Most of your large cities in the South are somewhat progressive – it's the outlying/rural areas that cause all the guff.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't completely serious with the post, but it sure gets old being stagnant, and sometimes moving backwards, because people constantly voting against their own self interest. If the south wasn't in the union maybe we'd have a decent health care system and an uncrippled safety net. Excuse me for wanting a better country.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
In a straight out confrontation? No.

As a guerrilla insurgency? Sure. The IRA kept it up for decades. There's no reason a CSA couldn't do the same if they have people willing to die or be imprisoned for the cause.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
This is a time to celebrate. I've finally lost touch with the people around me.

Most smokers from my hometown switched to dip "since smoking causes cancer."

I wasn't completely serious with the post, but it sure gets old being stagnant, and sometimes moving backwards, because people constantly voting against their own self interest. If the south wasn't in the union maybe we'd have a decent health care system and an uncrippled safety net. Excuse me for wanting a better country.

I get the sentiment, but non-Southern liberals need to stop ignoring Southern liberals since that essentially means ignoring black people

african-american-population-map.png

SaviourMK2

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CT
They'll die "not making it easy" quite easily to the federal government. This is also assuming US Soldiers would even agree to fight US citizens.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
Assuming republicans don't actually side with them...

Direct conventional warfare? No chance in hell.

Guerilla warfare? They could stretch this out for a considerable amount of time. But consolidating and trying to hold territory would make an immediate easy target.

Direct conventional attacks would be extremely ineffective on the American military, that is what they excel at fighting.

This might come as a surprise to Trump, but at least as recently as 2010 we still trained against Russian doctrine and tactics for handling conventional combat.

Past that we have become increasingly adept at fighting guerilla style tactics. It's still a lot harder to take down than conventional fighters, due to its hit and run nature.... but when you do pop up your head, you're gonna get fucked up.

Actually trying to fight the military in any manner of armed combat will be completely and absolutely futile.

Morale and mindshare is the weapon for that battle.

Last edited:

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I've often seen conservatives bring up Iraq/Vietnam/Afghanistan as examples for how an American militia could possibly stand against our own military. I've yet to do much research on those, but I imagine there's varying circumstances for why those aren't exactly applicable here? At the very least, I know my 4th Grade history in that the French assisted us with the American Revolution.

If anyone could break this down for me, I'd appreciate it.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
Well they did try it almost two centuries ago and back then they had the support of entires states and we all now how that ended what makes you think that a bunch of racist lunatics (and nothing but lunatics) with guns have any chance today.