• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
In this case, the dock would be like a home console and the handheld would be a controller with a screen (same Switch Lite form-factor for example) but it could be way lighter and thinner because the hardware would be the home console itself. The handheld/controller would have just the hardware needed for receiving the data from the home console. I think the biggest advantage of this idea is that you no longer would be limited by the form factor of the handheld and you could play really demanding games in your handheld.

It would probably be very expensive and I am not sure the technology is there yet tho, and it would require some mobile internet or such.

May Nintendo be researching streaming tech?

EDIT: This is not the Wii U. The idea is that you could play the games in the handheld no matter you were. ThatĀ“s why I am talking about mobile internet.

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK
In this case, the dock would be like a home console and the handheld would be a controller with a screen (same Switch Lite form-factor for example) but it could be way lighter and thinner because the hardware would be the home console itself. The handheld/controller would have just the hardware needed for receiving the data from the home console. I think the biggest advantage of this idea is that you no longer would be limited by the form factor of the handheld and you could play really demanding games in your handheld.

It would probably be very expensive and I am not sure the technology is there yet tho, and it would require some mobile internet or such.

May Nintendo be researching streaming tech?

EDIT: This is not the Wii U. The idea is that you could play the games in the handheld no matter you were. ThatĀ“s why I am talking about mobile internet.

This is literally remote play...

iag

Oct 27, 2017
People would have to have a pretty good internet to stream from the dock to the controller. Don't think they would go this route, OP.

Thought about a negative: if you go all physical, you can't change games while you're away from the system.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Too much out of Nintendo's control with people's connections being shitty, potentially ruining the user experience.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
I guess so. But from Nintendo.

Well...Stadia/XCloud selling point is that people can play game anywhere/anytime without needing a dedicated hardware, including playing the latest AAA games on their smartphone.

What you propose is cloud gaming but still requires people to buy dedicated hardware.

Edit : Also yeah like others said, I don't think Nintendo have the infrastructure/resources anyway for cloud gaming. Even Google struggles with Stadia....

OP
OP
lunanto

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Well...Stadia/XCloud selling point is that people can play game anywhere/anytime without needing a dedicated hardware, including their smartphone.

What you propose is cloud gamng but still requires people to buy dedicated hardware.
I guess it would benefit somehow the streaming quality to have your own "server".

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
You're literally just describing PS4 Remote Play and as someone who has used it fairly extensively let me tell you, having games playing natively on the portable device is a monumentally better experience than streaming.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
Thread title said:
Could be streaming the games from the dock (now home console) to the the handheld (now controller with a screen) the main point of a Switch 2?

I know you already said "This is not the Wii U", but this is also not a Switch 2.

Congratulations, you've created the Wii U2.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
I could see the dock of the Switch 2 having a little bit of power, enough so that the handled could stream to the dock, allowing some games to be played using asymmetric gameplay.

So, the reverse of the Wii U.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would destroy the portability factor outside ideal circumstances. Good luck playing anything on a train, plane, etc.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
So basically just a home console with remote play except it'd be more expensive because they'd package a tablet alongside it. Sounds like a really shit evolution of the Switch concept tbh.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
You are talking about remote play then. Because it still requires internet and hardware. The problem mis Nintendo doesn't care about power, they haven't since the GameCube. Additionally the switch is a replacement for their hand held systems and consoles. I don't think Nintendo is willing to tie their hand held business ( heir largest market) to the whims of ISP's.

Edit: obviously I meant remote play.... Proofreading is fundamental!

Last edited:

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did that two years ago while I was on vacation in Stockholm playing Warframe on my PS4 in Singapore via remote play PS Vita.
I can't even imagine the latency streaming from APAC to EU, especially in an action game and given Vita's abilities as a client device for streaming leave a lot to be desired.

And no, there's no way Nintendo is doing this for whatever ends up being the successor to the switch.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Yes, I'm sure Nintendo is eager to repeat the sucessful Wii U concept.

OP
OP
lunanto

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Where do I say I think this idea is revolutionary?

The tone of the answers is a reflection of this forum and the world in general.

Too much negativity for me in Christmas.

Bye bye

Status
Not open for further replies.