• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
There will always be some unpredictable hits like Minecraft but I guess the usual blockbusters will remain heavily marketed AAA games like Destiny, CoD and so on.

doutrinador

Jan 15, 2018
These games work exactly because they don't try to be blockbusters. Hellblade doesn't have multiplayer, the scoper is smaller, more focused. The budget for this kind of games can be increased? Maybe. It all depends on who is developing the game and how high are the risk they're willing to take.

Lappe

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Only the rare exceptions. PUBG & Minecraft were both indie games, and they are doing all right.

The stars have to be aligned perfectly to get the success of a AAA release with a indie title. Word of mouth helps a lot.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
No and this is why they are so awesome.

No useless features that just exists because the market demands, no 4k textures and voice acting to every sentient being making the game huge, praticaly inexistent microtransactions that make no sense, no always online...

stinkyguy666

Nov 4, 2017
I just wish people wouldn't treat indie games so differently.

Indie games aren't their own genre (at least, not in the same way as something like indie music), they don't have to fit a specific view of what they can and can't be.

An indie game can be anything. The title 'Indie' is just a blanket term that refers to the circumstances of how it was released.

Look at the upcoming ODDWORLD: SOULSTORM, this is indie and it looks very very impressive:

1920x1080_wallpaper.jpg

DKVBd4AXcAAgBQL.jpg

1500x500

Last edited:

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Depends on what do you consider to be a blockbuster. Could they sell a lot? Sure. Could they be a video game equivalent of a summer flick, boasting the same production values? Probably not.

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
There will always be some Minecraft's happening in the indie scene. But I think blockbuster games are hard to maintain on a regular basis for any small developer.
However, if they manage to have a core group of talented people, and slowly expand their business like some of the behemoths today, I could see them slowly making blockbusters when they make AA games and beyond.