• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017

Transitioning to renewable energy across society will require many changes, including more batteries. Energy storage is crucial for making sure that inconsistent renewable sources, like wind or solar, can stay humming even when the weather isn't going their way. But batteries have their own problem in the form of the commonly used lithium.

But while lithium mining is relatively cheap, it comes with huge downsides. When brine mining, miners need to let the water surrounding lithium evaporate in order to reach it, which means using 500,000 gallons of water per tonne of lithium. And when digging the mineral out of rock, it requires toxic chemicals, which can lead to disastrous results.

And Iron is the shit compared to Lithium it seems :
The team's iron battery successfully withstood 150 cycles of charging and discharging under controlled conditions. And after 50 cycles, it still had 54 percent capacity retention, which is a sign of stability.

Iron is more stable during the charging process and therefore prevents short-circuiting of the batteries," study coauthor Sai Smruti Samantaray, a Ph.D. student at IIT Madras, told The Hindu. "Thus, when compared with the popular lithium metal-based batteries, we are able to cut down the cost and make it safer to handle."

So whos ready for the iron age!!!??

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would this make batteries heavier? Higher densities would offset that though

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure they're working on some way to improve that, but 150 charge/discharge cycles seems kind of not great.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Too heavy.

I also don't think you want something that will hoard all the energy you could ever pour into it anywhere near your body.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Normal car batteries are lead acid, not lithium, though those are available.

I meant the traction battery in an EV. I think they used Lead Acid in the EV1 before moving over to lithium ion in newer cars.

I've read articles on EVs with easily swappable batteries, presumably for any future technologies where the battery degrades faster than lithium.

I guess it's been done.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Every other month there's news about a new "wonder" battery being tested in a lab. And then it disappears and is never heard from again.