• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I am getting the same exact vibes here.

Going from Nintendo -> Sony (and other systems).
Big marketing push.
Boosts Playstation hardware.
Developer doing so-so financially and suddenly smash hit.
Break out japanese title for the worldwide market.
Great word of mouth and reviews.
Record sales for said company.

Remember when people unironically thought that FF7 was just a fancy weird ass name and that it was actually the first in the series?
Maybe we are seeing the same here.

There are people talking/playing it that I would never in hundred years expect to do so, like my Fifa/CoD/AAA only friends.

FF7 was first JRPG for milions of players and opened their minds on different games, maybe history is repeating itself in new generation.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only time will tell if it has a lasting legacy or ends up being a flash in a pan.

It would be cool if it was the next FF7 in terms of impact.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
There have been many games more impactful than Final Fantasy VII since its inception.

Monster Hunter won't even touch Minecraft, or WoW, or Half-Life.

Deleted member 1378

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Lmao the only impact MHW is going to have us inspiring more clones

Wonderful game that will do nothing in terms of changing the industry

Icekilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PUBG is the FF7 of the 2010's, everyone big game is getting battleroyal mode. You aren't going to see MH clones in 2018 ROFL.

TheFireman

Banned
Dec 22, 2017
No, but I was honestly doubting Capcom would safely make it to the end of the PS5 at the rate they were going before this game came out.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
I think you both greatly understimate the impact FF7 had at the time and overestimate the impact Monster Hunter World is having now.

Daknight

Oct 28, 2017
I highly doubt it. Is not that big of a jump as FF7 moving to Sony system (it was originally a series in sony systems). Also the videogame landscape is very different now. It also didn't dealt a heavy blow to Nintendo in term of showing 3rd parties moving on, etc, etc.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Well, MonHun was on Sony systems first.

For me it's a very different situation, in that FF7 was for a lot of people, their first RPG experience. Here it's more like "Wow, Japan can make co-op action really well". Whilst there's nothing quite like it from the West, it's not as divergent an experience as FF7 was for many people.

I was pretty confident the game would do well in the West, but not nearly to this degree. It is very impressive.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Monster hunter probably won't be a clear influence on games going forward, certainly not on the scale of how FF7 was.

It sucks, but PUBG and battle royale modes are probably going to have a bigger longer lasting effect than MH.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Final Fantasy VII's renowned for its narrative. Monster Hunter is renowned for its gameplay.

A good narrative will always trump sound gameplay because a good narrative stays with you long after the mechanics become dated.

Final Fantasy VII, BioShock, The Last of Us. Those will endure long after you forget how clunky a minigame is or through mechanical refinements in shooters.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
No, not even close. That's taking nothing away from amazing MHW. I don't think we are in an age where we will see a single game having impact like FF7 again.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I wish it were the case, but no. Ff7 will go down in history as being far more significant. I see where you're coming from though.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
We'll just see more monster hunter inspired games, probably from more western studios this time.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Lol no.

MH was already popular, and actually began in PS2.
Also, MHW is really lacking. It's way too easy, lacks G rank, gathering hall is shit, no new weapons, and the monster roster could be bigger.
Until the G/Ultimate versions hits, what it offers it's too little.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
What mental gymnastics dos someone has to go through to come to this revelation?

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
I think Monster Hunter 2nd and 2nd G are probably the MH games that had the biggest impact in the Japanese market. It was the game that carried PSP in Japan, started the boom of MH clone games.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
This isn't 1996 anymore. Monster Hunter today is totally different to Final Fantasy back then.

I think the answers in this thread are definitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.