• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Yesterday I watched a video on YouTube where someone compared Spider-Man PS4 to Batman AK and I thought it was crazy how well AK is still holding up graphically. The game may have been a massive disappointment in my book and doesn't hold a candle to AA or AC, but it can't be denied that AK still looks fantastic.

This makes me very excited about their next game and man, it's really about time we heard something on it. I believe it was 2016 when someone from the dev team said "wait until you see what we're working on." or was that last year? Either way, these guys managed to bring back faith in actually having a Batman videogame worth having. Not only that, they just showed that they are damn good at it too.

That being said, for some reason I always thought Rocksteady was only going to be able to make DC games and not Marvel. Then I realized WB publishes the Lego Marvel games and that's quite interesting. We haven't had a lot of rumors about Rocksteady's next game other than it being Superman which was denied by Rocksteady, right? The Damian Wayne game was rumored to be WB Montreal. I guess it could still be Superman, I mean Rocksteady wasn't exactly going to confirm it but they could have just said nothing as well.

Back to Marvel, on forums in general I saw people saying the exact same thing I was thinking all that time, that they can't make Marvel games. But why do people say that? Let's say it is Marvel, which character do you hope it is? And if not Marvel, which I still think is the case, which DC character(s) do you want?

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
No Rocksteady Owned by Warner Bros and Marvel is their rival

it's like You ask If ND can Make a game for Xbox or PG for Sony xD

Last edited:

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Comparing LEGO doesn't make sense. They work with all outside properties. WB is not gonna put their #1 dev to help out their business rival marvel.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
Rocksteady is owned by Warner Bros, so I don't think they'll ever allow for that to happen. LEGO games are a little different beast, though. If I remember correctly, games are based on LEGO sets which were licensed from other companies.

I'm aware there are devs out there who worked on both DC and Marvel franchises (TT Games and Telltale), but I think Warner won't allow their major studio to work on a AAA game based on the competitor licence.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
I don't think they would do it but I think they could make a great Captain America game
Captain America would have to be a character action game or it would be lame as hell. He doesn't have anything cool to justify a Spiderman/Batman open world, what is he gonna do, drive a van around while those two are flying/gliding around worlds?

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Could they? Probably, didn't WB allow their studios to develop Marvel and Star Wars Lego games?
Would WB allow one of their AAA studios to spend their resources on a Marvel game instead of a DC one? Unlikely imo.

Mugiwara

Sep 3, 2018
If it was an open world game, I would've said Spider-Man would be the ideal Marvel IP. I'm very curious what they're making if it's not a comic book related game. At some point the game they're making isn't going to live up to the hype that everyone is building up for themselves. I'm already bracing for disappointment, haha

OP
OP
MosquitoSmasher
Oct 26, 2017
Ok, crystal clear about no Marvel game from them. I was wondering about that. But what about their upcoming game. What do you want it to be? I seriously hope we get the reveal this year.

It's time!

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The Arkham series is incredible so yes I would, and I imagine they're certainly capable, though they're WB owned.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
Rocksteady said they were working with Warner and DC to decide on their next project ages ago, so it's definitely a DC game.

Protome

Oct 27, 2017
I just want them to make something that isn't Batman. Arkham Knight was such a disappointment and I don't really have faith that they can pull themselves back from it.

Silver-Streak

Oct 25, 2017
I mean...they could probably make a Moon Knight game? Arkham Batman is already like 80% of the way to killing people anyway.

Deleted member 41931

Apr 10, 2018
Why would WB do that when they can utilize one of their own properties? WB has something that could work for every genre of game. Sure they could loan them out for a Punisher game, but it makes more sense to put them on a Matrix game especially with the upcoming film.

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
I'd think they'd be great but since WB is in charge and Spider-Man ps4 has already established a great game in the MCU it's all moot. However, if they did another Batman game, I admit I would be ridiculously hyped and excited regardless of the naysayers.

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I think Rocksteady could make a great Wonder Woman game, but I'll play whatever they make as I enjoyed the Arkham trilogy.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly forgot Rocksteady even existed tbh. They must not be having an easy time of it to have gone dark for such a long time.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Naaaaaaaaaaaah.

i want Batman Beyond, only they create their own cast of baddies alongside big DC creators. Cause Batman Beyond villains bored me to tears.

OP
OP
MosquitoSmasher
Oct 26, 2017
They have something that will be anounced either first quarter 2k19 or at E3 depending on the milestones they meet.

Jeeeeesus, that's still quite a while. I was hoping for VGA. I guess they will announce it when it's also close to being finished? Bit like BGS with Fallout 4?

..how it would be to only have mobs in the streets you mean?

That sure would have taken away from the game yeah. Ever since Batman AC I wanted a full-fledged Gotham City, complete with civilians walking around.

I hope rocksteady makes a spiderman game to show insomniac games how it would be

Damn, that's a bit negative. I take it you really didn't enjoy Spidey?

Jul 13, 2018
They have something that will be anounced either first quarter 2k19 or at E3 depending on the milestones they meet.
What are the chances of a December announcement (TGAs) this year? They're currently hiring for a Community Manager and will most likely start their promotional campaign soon after.

May I ask, do you know what they are working on by any chance (if you are able to disclose any details of course)? Thank you.

Last edited:

unicornKnight

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I am playing Arkham Knight right now and I hate how the open world has destroyed the metroidvania feeling of Asylum. Give them whatever hero would alllow them for a more linear experience. Personally I like open world games when they involve free exploration like Skyrim or BotW. I don't see the point of having a big open world only to follow constantly a marker.

Jul 13, 2018
I honestly forgot Rocksteady even existed tbh. They must not be having an easy time of it to have gone dark for such a long time.
WBIE doesn't announce games that are 2+ years out. The length from announcement to release has typically been 9 months or so. I'd imagine that's why they've been quiet; they don't want to announce anything too soon.

Last edited:

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
No Rocksteady Owned by Warner Bros and Marvel is their rival

This.

First post again.

If TT games can make Marvel games, then Rocksteady can do the same or am I missing something?

TT has the exclusive rights to make LEGO video games so if you want a LEGO game based around your IP then it has to be developed by TT and seeing as WB Games owns TT they'll be the ones financing and publishing it.

Hence all the Disney LEGO games published by WB Games. Warners would never farm out their number one team to develop a game for a licence they don't own let alone a Marvel one.

Never going to happen I'm afraid.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
No, fuck that. There's dozens of DC heroes who need a game. Where's my Justice League game? Green Lantern Corps?

Marvel need to go ask Obsidian or some independent developer to give them something.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Rocksteady is owned by WB, so they won't be making anything but DC games from now on.

That being said, I am sure their next game is nothing other than Superman. It has to be. No other DC property would warrant such a big push and risk other than Superman. He's literally the godfather of all superheroes. That, in conjunction with all the easter eggs in AK(namedropping, posters, lexcorp buildings, Lex Luthor leaving a voicemail message to Bruce, etc) and the fact that Rocksteady hasn't shut down the rumor even though they shut down the rumor for TMNT leads me to believe that it is indeed Superman.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I want something brand new from Rocksteady. Those folks have earned a shot at doing something that's all their own.

Jul 13, 2018
Oh shit.... verafied.... saying whether or notit's comic book related is probably too spoilery. Can you say if it's SP or MP?
Yep, he's an actual credible video game journalist (over 20 years in the industry). I was hoping for a December announcement to be honest. It would have been a nice way to end off the year. I suppose it'll be similar to Shadow of War's announcement then and be around February (Q1). TGAs would reach a very large audience however.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, he's an actual credible video game journalist (over 20 years in the industry). I was hoping for a December announcement to be honest. It would have been a nice way to end off the year. I suppose it'll be similar to Shadow of War's announcement then and be around February (Q1). TGAs would reach a very large audience however.
Probably a February Game Informer cover.