• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Radishhead

Oct 30, 2017
Looking at the thread showing the top 10 Nintendo Switch indie titles, it reminded me how long I've seen Stardew Valley at the top of the eShop charts.

We're getting reports time and time again of how excellently titles are selling on the eShop - including cases where games that didn't perform great on Steam reached 10s of thousands of units on Switch. Being top of the eShop chart on Nintendo Switch actually means something - there is a lot of software being sold there every day, so for Stardew Valley to be consistently top or close-to-top every week since release must mean there is already a massive number of units sold.

I'd personally assume Stardew Valley is approaching 1 million sales, with no signs of slowing down. It's truly an evergreen title, and seeing it on the top of the eShop every week is only going to encourage more people to see it and pick it up as the Switch continues to sell more units.

Stardew Valley is apparently at around 3.5 million units sold on Steam - an unprecedented success. HOWEVER - could it possibly be... could the Switch version actually outsell the Steam version in the long-term? Owning both versions, I certainly enjoy playing Stardew on my Switch more than PC (in fact, I haven't touched the PC version since buying the Switch one) and everybody I know who has played both agrees. This positive word of mouth will surely benefit the Switch version in the coming months (even years?).

Multiplayer release will give the PC version a boost when it comes out, but I'd assume the same to be true when the Switch multiplayer update launches too.

What do you guys think? It's a bold prediction, but definitely an intriguing one and fun to consider. It would be extremely symbolic for one of Steam's biggest surprise hits of recent years to be surpassed by the sales potential of the Nintendo Switch - probably solidifying the console as a powerful home for indies for years to come.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It could, but its unlikely unless the PC version just stops selling for some reason.
Its part of every big Steam sale and usually cheaper as well - so yeah....wouldnt bet on it.

Edit:

And no SDW Switch doesnt have to outsell the PC release to establish the Switch as a viable indie plattform - that already happened.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Steam's not the only PC platform, it's on GOG too. Not that I expect GOG to eclipse Steam sales numbers, but I think 3.5 million might be a lowball estimate.

Vault

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's also on Gog but I don't know how much market share they have

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
No, it'll continue to do great on the Switch, but PC has the initial jump advantage, mods, and first for multiplayer.

I mention mods because just like Minecraft, they'll probably help the multiplayer scene continue to get bigger.

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
Why does this even matter?

The game is selling well every where. Its a great game and has set the developer up for the future.

Deleted member 32374

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Ok, I've gotta be honest, why is this important? I love stardew and if there are updates to the game I'll head back onto my farm first thing.

Just not sure were the 1 million sold number came from either? Not to mention you've forgotten the other ports.

Just say that you want the switch to be the next vita and everyone will agree with you.

RockyMin

Oct 27, 2017
Why does it even have to? Will it increase your enjoyment of the game if it does pass PC sales?

Oct 26, 2017
I dont think so, when the multiplayer update will hit im expecting more sales, without counting a possibile humble bundle.

I think, Minecraft and maybe RL are at +1 million copies on NSW. Also, this sales war has to stop, what's the point?

It would be extremely symbolic for one of Steam'sbiggest surprise hits of recent years to be surpassed by the sales potential of the Nintendo Switch - probably solidifying the console as a powerful home for indies for years to come.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
No, it'll continue to do great on the Switch, but PC has the initial jump advantage, mods, and first for multiplayer.

I mention mods because just like Minecraft, they'll probably help the multiplayer scene continue to get bigger.

Wasn't the big deal with the Switch version that it would be the first platform to have multiplayer? When did that change?

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
The sales on PC will likely boost once online multiplayer patch is live, so I feel the gap will be present still. But who knows?

Though why do you care? Most PC Gamers are perfectly fine with their darlings releasing elsewhere and celebrate things coming to their platform of choice. Why do you care if a good game sells more on one platform or another outside of fanboyism for a platform? Why do you even want to "symbolically" dominate PC gamers?

Last edited:

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The install base of PC marketplaces far FAR outweighs that of the Switch. I don't ever see it happening.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I'm not sure why you're thinking about it. I own it on PC and Switch, and while I do find it to be a better Switch game as it's perfect for playing while my wife is watching a show or before bed, it's not like the game itself is actually different between the platforms (Yes, sure, mods if that matters to you).

Regardless though, could it? Maybe in the long run, but Steam has more fluid pricing, so I doubt you'll see occasional spikes of purchasing on the switch as frequently as you will on PC.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Don't forget the game also released on Tencent's WeGame platform in China where it has done extremely well.

Mzril

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, because you can't Anime portrait mod the Switch version.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
No, it's too far ahead on PC already

Also, I do believe it's already hit one million in sales on Switch. We know it was the nunber one digital only release on Switch last year and the legs have been ridiculous. I'm certain it's never been out of the top 5 on the NA eShop. It's always there when I look (which is pretty frequently).

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't the big deal with the Switch version that it would be the first platform to have multiplayer? When did that change?

It'll be the first on consoles, but multiplayer on the PC was announced before a Switch version of the game was even announced. It'd be extremely fucked up if they delayed the PC MP for the Switch lol.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Probably best not to forget that Steam is not the only successful PC store in the world.
Also for all these comparisons, keep in mind the context of each of these marketplaces in terms of size, audience etc.

No, and it doesn't matter. The Switch has established itself as a strong platform for indie titles.

Also true, but often look at the many threads of a random indie example game sales, the above isn't the topic many are actually caring about, which is sad.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
Doubtful

Also Star Dew was already part of a humble monthly bundle about a year ago

THIJJ

Oct 26, 2017
Don't forget the game also released on Tencent's WeGame platform in China where it has done extremely well.

This plus being the first to MP means most likely not.

And it doesn't really matter, as most have already said in here. It's sold more than we'll enough, I'm sure.

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No. The PC lead is too big.
Plus it's a farming game, pc users seems to never tire of that topic :D, so I expect the game to continue selling well for years and years.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Probably not. Steam sales and Humble Bundles have made Stardew on PC much cheaper than it's ever likely to get on Switch. Will still sell a boatload of units on Switch though.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Well, it could in theory, but it'll be a hell of a task. That said, obviously the system has already been firmly established as a great place for indies, so it doesn't need a symbolic gesture like you suggested.

CharMomone

Oct 27, 2017
PC version should continue to sell until Steam or Windows does something to prevent it from continuing to sell, the Switch as a platform will eventually get dumped for something else unless Nintendo turns it into an extended service platform.

So even if the Switch version were to skyrocket past the Steam version, the longevity of the PC platform would make the Steam version the longterm winner.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stardew seems like one of those games thats gonna be in the "beat the average" for a heck of a lot of future Humble Bundles so I bet it keeps selling on PC.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
PC version has modding, still sells like crazy, and it's the first platform getting multiplayer. There's no chance of the Switch version reaching its sales tbh.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Anyway. The OP has their answer. There isn't much else to discuss in a thread like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.