• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I've been playing System Shock: Alien: Isolation, and I just rewatched T1, and I couldn't stop thinking about how great it would be as a sandbox game.

600px-TERMSE_SIDEA-2.jpg

Start out in 80s LA, no equipment. Get your bearings, and track down your victim before The Terminator does.

Could easily work as a game with endless variable gameplay loops, too. Different city layouts, different victims, etc.

Sadly, seems like all we're getting are shoot'em'ups out of the franchise, but maybe someone will run with this idea one day.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Yeah, I've lost hope long ago on a AAA Terminator game.

We'll have to forever settle for AA to mediocre games...

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Terminator is to deeply engrossed in the action genre now. It could absolutely work but you'd get a lot of people complaining about why aren't you blasting shit as Arnold.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I was actually thinking about this when I saw footage from the new game. I never played Isolation, but I still think the best way Terminator could work best is if it were an unstoppable, encroaching terror (that word works, right? "encroaching?" whatever...).

Dec 31, 2017
Or set it post-Judgment Day and your primary objective is to deliver packages to other resistance members. YOur personal ratings for said deliveries can be uploaded to Skynet.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Mister X in REmake 2 comes close, just a unkillable force of nature chasing you.

No idea what the entire T1 game is gonna be like though, just one big chase scene through the city?

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like the idea that unlike Alien, maybe you'd be walking down a street and there will be crowds on the sidewalk and somewhere among the crowd is the terminator just slowly walking towards you.

It's like the early days of Assassin's Creed where Ubisoft wanted to push this unique form of stealth gameplay where you're hiding in the targets viewpoint but by blending into the crowd except with this game he's the character in your view point, you just got to hope you can spot it before it sees you.

Maybe you could listen to the crowd for clues, say if the terminator pulls his gun out and aims at you members of the public will start screaming or you can hear a commotion when he just pushes past people and pedestrians get angry.

It's a different kind of horror where even among a crowd you feel vulnerable which isn't something typically done. Usually it's just you in a dark area crawling around in these types of games.

I would say a Terminator Isolation game could still retain those areas in buildings where its just you crawling around with only the enemy but when you have to move from building to building the stealth gameplay would change to what I mentioned above. This could add some variety as one criticism I have seen of Alien Isolation is that it lasts too long.

Last edited:

JCHandsom

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
I think gamifying the Terminator would be easier as they already have a built-in HUD

Pick your look/build/class, head back in time with an objective (terminate/protect from termination, more if you get creative) track down clues, get weapons and supplies, constantly repair/modify yourself as your mission progresses, etc.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like Terminator is to deeply engrossed in the action genre now. It could absolutely work but you'd get a lot of people complaining about why aren't you blasting shit as Arnold.
I think a Terminator: Isolation with a heavy emphasis on combat could work - just have other weaker models to kill and have the main Terminator be nearly indestructible, to the point where you can only run or temporarily down it (similar to Resident Evil 2's Mr. X).

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
I am 100% in favour of Isolation becoming its own genre but I don't think Terminator would work. Terminator movies are chase films. Alien is a slasher.
Halloween: Isolation would work. The Thing isolation could be incredible.

Terminator? Nah. Now what you described would fit a multiplayer game pretty well. Say 8 players....one is the terminator's target, one is the terminator, one is a soldier from the future. The remaining players are cops. None of the players know who is what in each round. Terminator scores by killing the target. Trget and future soldier score through the target surviving. There are tons of computer controlled NPCs running around. As the terminator makes more kills, the cops get better weapons. The future soldier and terminator star with nothign but can loot any gear form any npc or player they take down. The cops get sent after any player that commits a crime.

So if the terminator/soldier kills an npc for their weapons and clothes, the cops home in on them. If the target steals a car to escape, police hone in on them. So you have this perpetual 3 way conflict each round. Once a round is complete, the roles get switched up.

Feb 10, 2018
Great idea, but I think it would be better if you were running away from the terminator, rather then just hiding on a small level.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am 100% in favour of Isolation becoming its own genre but I don't think Terminator would work. Terminator movies are chase films. Alien is a slasher.
Halloween: Isolation would work. The Thing isolation could be incredible.

Terminator? Nah. Now what you described would fit a multiplayer game pretty well. Say 8 players....one is the terminator's target, one is the terminator, one is a soldier from the future. The remaining players are cops. None of the players know who is what in each round. Terminator scores by killing the target. Trget and future soldier score through the target surviving. There are tons of computer controlled NPCs running around. As the terminator makes more kills, the cops get better weapons. The future soldier and terminator star with nothign but can loot any gear form any npc or player they take down. The cops get sent after any player that commits a crime.

So if the terminator/soldier kills an npc for their weapons and clothes, the cops home in on them. If the target steals a car to escape, police hone in on them. So you have this perpetual 3 way conflict each round. Once a round is complete, the roles get switched up.
Combine Isolation with the first The Evil Within and create a Nightmare on Elm Street game.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
A Terminator: Isolation would have to be akin to Mr. X in RE2make, with him constantly stalking you throughout the map and you being unable to permanently put him down.

Maybe if you do enough damage to him he retreats to go fix himself up so he's not showing his robot parts all over the place, giving you more time to complete whatever it is you're trying to do.

And maybe there are different Terminators for each new area like SOMA. The only issue is, what else would you be doing if it takes place in the present? Fighting cops?

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017
OP, that is an excellent fucking idea.

Those early Biehn-heavy night time / rain soaked / neon lit LA Terminator 1 scenes are some of the best ever put to film. It would be delicious to explore them in a video game setting like you describe, stalked by a Terminator. Oh man it would be perfect.

I think gamifying the Terminator would be easier as they already have a built-in HUD

Pick your look/build/class, head back in time with an objective (terminate/protect from termination, more if you get creative) track down clues, get weapons and supplies, constantly repair/modify yourself as your mission progresses, etc.

Equally perfect. Want it bad.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
I guess you could also fight the cops and street criminals, too.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
A Terminator: Isolation would have to be akin to Mr. X in RE2make, with him constantly stalking you throughout the map and you being unable to permanently put him down.

Maybe if you do enough damage to him he retreats to go fix himself up so he's not showing his robot parts all over the place, giving you more time to complete whatever it is you're trying to do.

And maybe there are different Terminators for each new area like SOMA. The only issue is, what else would you be doing if it takes place in the present? Fighting cops?
I guess this is along where I was thinking. Like it's less of a sneaking game, but with still sneaking in it sometimes (if that makes sense). A lot more fast paced and actively running away looking for ways to basically just slow it down. Like finding an unlocked Mack truck and ramming him before driving away in the city only for it to find you later?

I like the idea of entering the "play area" city with nothing too, and having you scrounge away for things you can improvise as weapons, traps. I guess people are more used to that idea since Battle Royale happened? Making it an "every run's a different story" kind of thing I think could be interesting.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I guess this is along where I was thinking. Like it's less of a sneaking game, but with still sneaking in it sometimes (if that makes sense). A lot more fast paced and actively running away looking for ways to basically just slow it down. Like finding an unlocked Mack truck and ramming him before driving away in the city only for it to find you later?

I like the idea of entering the "play area" city with nothing too, and having you scrounge away for things you can improvise as weapons, traps. I guess people are more used to that idea since Battle Royale happened? Making it an "every run's a different story" kind of thing I think could be interesting.
So like a single player Friday the 13th?

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
So like a single player Friday the 13th?
Whoops, lol. Totally forgot about that game. I'd think the city setting could lend itself to allow for more creative ways to slow down the terminator, though. Then again, I never really paid attention to Friday the 13th so maybe I'm just not thinking about this correctly.

KalBalboa

Oct 30, 2017
Massachusetts
I wonder if you'd need an open world for a "Terminator Isolation" to achieve its full potential. Probably, right?

I remember the old PC Terminator game with a semblance of an open world environment. The Genesis game for The Terminator had some eerie moments at the end during the final boss where the T-800 would emerge from off screen, giving the impression of persistence, and it definitely dialed up the creep factor.

Deleted member 7883

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I've never heard Alien (the first movie at least) be described as a slasher before. Interesting take! I don't really see how though, I always looked at it as a Sci-Fi movie first, horror movie second. It's been a couple years since I saw it but I don't recall enough scenes really glorifying the Alien cutting people up to consider it a slasher, imo.

Oct 28, 2017
I actually disagree with that approach to a Terminator game. It sounds cool in theory and it's something I've dreamed of for years but honestly? It would struggle to hold up a whole game. To be honest I think a future setting is the way to go. You get to have segments or settings where you're being stalked by a Terminator, but the gameplay is also allowed more variety and interesting gameplay. You could maybe even have a section of the game akin to what you describe set in the past, but as I say it would struggle to hold up a whole game while remaining engaging.

Dealing with various Skynet machines that require different approaches would just work better for a game. There's a reason Alien included human and android enemies. And Alien still had major pacing issues.

Or they could simply break up the game with flashback segments set in the future.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
One of the very first Terminator games on the PC, just called "The Terminator", kind of tried this. You start out as either The Terminator or Kyle Reese and you have search LA to kill or find and rescue Sarah Connor, buying/stealing equipment and fighting police along the way. The trouble was that it came out in '91 and couldn't really do the concept justice.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
80s Punks at every corner.
Nice night for a walk.
One of the very first Terminator games on the PC, just called "The Terminator", kind of tried this. You start out as either The Terminator or Kyle Reese and you have search LA to kill or find and rescue Sarah Connor, buying/stealing equipment and fighting police along the way. The trouble was that it came out in '91 and couldn't really do the concept justice.

Man, this sounds pretty ambitious for being from so long ago. I think I'd like to see a shot at this nowadays.

Cosmonaut X

Oct 26, 2017
I might be in the minority, but I'd adore a single-player Terminator game that put you in the shoes of the Terminator's target, rather than someone like a Kyle Reese analogue. Give me a small town, or a series of linked small environments, as the main play area, and randomise the Terminator's arrival in the first "act" (or base it on player actions going about their normal routine), then have a handful of potential sites that could allow the target to fight back and kill the Terminator and options for slowing it down.

For example:

Game opens with the player waking up in their apartment. Their job is at a small business a block or two away. The Terminator has already arrived, has your name and is working through the telephone directory. As it's at least partially randomised (though with a nudge to favour the player so you're not first on the list) the Terminator may already have killed the first poor sod who shares your name and be on its way to your apartment. Right. Now.

Your advantage right now is that you know that you're playing a game and that you should get moving to work, but you don't get the option to start gathering weapons or unlocking potential Terminator-killing locations until your first encounter with the machine - why would you, after all? You're just getting up to go to another day at work, not prepping for a life-or-death battle with a killer cyborg. The Terminator's appearance is randomised too, though to make things a little fair it will at least have a similar build each time, but you can't guarantee it's going to be a giant, white guy with a bulky coat and cropped hair so you'll have to be alert.

Maybe you leave your flat, get lucky and end up on the bottom of the list of names. Congratulations, you have time to make it to work where there are multiple exits, your boss keeps a pistol under the counter, and there are lots of NPCs to get in the way of that huge guy pounding across the store to get to you. Perhaps you're not so lucky, and you get ambushed on the walk to work and now you have to run, but at least that alley down there leads to somewhere you can hide for valuable minutes and shake the Terminator. Or maybe you're really unlucky and you mess about in your flat too long, your door crashes in on itself and you now have to scramble to get past this hulking, walking death machine, into the hall and down the stairs before it shoots you down.

Once you're on the run, the map opens up and locations like gun shops, tool stores and areas with large crowds or buildings with secure entrances open up. The police station is there, and if you get to it you have access to heavier weaponry, but you will be brought in to keep you "safe", which just traps you there with something hunting you...

The game could either run with a timer - the longer you stay alive, the more useful locations open up, until you get one where you can kill the Terminator, but then you still have to lure it there which is a risk in itself - or with players having to track down certain clues or items to unlock these areas. The key here is that these environments aren't massive sandboxes, but they're dense, crowded and built for replayability so that each player should have a reasonably novel experience each time, and the game should be built for player stories and sharing online.

Tense, time-critical chases where you are always outgunned, and you have to think fast to stay alive until the point where you can finally fight back, and even that final fight should be a risk.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017

It was a fun game though.
Sandbox games lost something when they became dependant on scripted missions.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
A big map where Sarah Connor and the Terminator are droped like in Fortnite/PUBG

Somewhere on the map, there's a player controlling John Connor, who needs to be rescued

Terminator's objective is to kill him, of course. Sarah's is to find him before the Terminator does and lead them to a boat, in order to escape

There's a timer or something like that to give urgency

I dig it. Could also work with Predator

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty sure many people have had this idea and it seems to get posted every time there is a thread regarding Alien: Isolation. People also mention concepts involving being hunted in a jungle by a Predator or a Jurassic Park game with a pack of Velociraptors after you, etc.

Point is that Isolation is an amazing game and some of these ideas really need to be worked on, along with an Alien: Isolation sequel. Too bad it didn't sell well and none of these games will likely ever be made.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love that so much. But truthfully we're gonna be lucky to get anything Terminator related for a long time after Dark Fate bombing.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I had never though about how good classic cinematic licenses could be in an Alien Isolation style. A Terminator game like that could be brilliant.

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
I'm always up for a AAA Terminator title. The entire franchise is written like it was intended for a video game anyways. That being said we'll probably be limited to third person shooters and mobile games for a while.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would actually want FPSRPG STALKER-like with AAA production values set in 2029 LA Future War that would take place just before sending T800 to get Sarah, but this sounds good too.

Too bad we will get nothing, ever.