• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
I've never heard Alien (the first movie at least) be described as a slasher before. Interesting take! I don't really see how though, I always looked at it as a Sci-Fi movie first, horror movie second. It's been a couple years since I saw it but I don't recall enough scenes really glorifying the Alien cutting people up to consider it a slasher, imo.

When you think about it, Alien is essentially Friday 13th in space. It's a closed environment where a group of people get slowly picked off one by one until a final girl manages to outwit the killer and escape. It uses the sci fi trappings to allow itself to be taken seriously. Hell it even has the weird interplay of sex and violence that slasher movies have, with the xenomorphs being essentially an anthropomorphic personification of sexual assault. Where I think you are getting caught up is that most slasher films are cheap schlock and alien is not. But the elements are the same.

Although Ripley is saved not by her virginity but by cold emotionless pragmatism.

Vandal Deca

Oct 21, 2018
This topic gave me nostalgic vibes for what IMO are the last really good Terminator games, Bethesda's Future Shock and SkyNET, from 1995-1996. They were FPSes set after the nuclear apocalypse, with level designs that had a very open-world feel. You could wander around exploring bombed-out buildings, scavenging for gear, driving vehicles, and working with John Connor and the resistance to undermine and sabotage Skynet operations. Future Shock in particular was also very technically impressive for its time; I think it was actually the first shooter to use polygonal models? It was buggy as hell per Bethesda norms but a lot of issues were fixed by the second game.

With the current open-world trend in gaming, I believe a Terminator game like Future Shock could be done again today with modern systems and actually be successful. That's not the problem. The problem IMO is the Terminator IP itself which has become diluted with some fairly mediocre films in recent years, and as a result the franchise means something different to modern audiences than it does to us old hats. Still, I think someone could pull it off. What I'd give for a MachineGames production set in this universe!

rou021

Oct 27, 2017
I think an Isolation styled Terminator game is a great fit. My ideal Terminator game would predominantly be like that, only with the occasional shoot-bangy flashback mission in the future that's along the lines of Far Cry: Blood Dragon. It could be something that happens every few missions just to mix things up a bit.

I'm not sure how Isolation gameplay would work for The Thing though considering much of the movie is closer to psychological horror. Alien: Isolation is basically a stealth game in a horror setting and I don't remember much sneaking around in the movie outside of the Thing itself. And even then, it was usually walking around in plain sight, disguised as a human or dog much of the time.

I do, however, think Jurassic Park would be a good fit. Hell, the raptors stalking the kids in the first movie mirrors much of Isolation's gameplay. Just have it with an open world on one of the islands and it'd be perfect.

When you think about it, Alien is essentially Friday 13th in space. It's a closed environment where a group of people get slowly picked off one by one until a final girl manages to outwit the killer and escape. It uses the sci fi trappings to allow itself to be taken seriously. Hell it even has the weird interplay of sex and violence that slasher movies have, with the xenomorphs being essentially an anthropomorphic personification of sexual assault. Where I think you are getting caught up is that most slasher films are cheap schlock and alien is not. But the elements are the same.

Although Ripley is saved not by her virginity but by cold emotionless pragmatism.
Yeah, the slasher influence is definitely there in Alien. Ridley Scott has talked about how much he liked The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and how it had a huge influence on him when he made Alien. It's been said that it's really a B movie with an A movie's budget. If it weren't for all of the right elements coming together, it could've easily turned into shlock. Fortunately, we got something much more special instead.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I like the idea that unlike Alien, maybe you'd be walking down a street and there will be crowds on the sidewalk and somewhere among the crowd is the terminator just slowly walking towards you.

It's like the early days of Assassin's Creed where Ubisoft wanted to push this unique form of stealth gameplay where you're hiding in the targets viewpoint but by blending into the crowd except with this game he's the character in your view point, you just got to hope you can spot it before it sees you.

Maybe you could listen to the crowd for clues, say if the terminator pulls his gun out and aims at you members of the public will start screaming or you can hear a commotion when he just pushes past people and pedestrians get angry.

It's a different kind of horror where even among a crowd you feel vulnerable which isn't something typically done. Usually it's just you in a dark area crawling around in these types of games.

I would say a Terminator Isolation game could still retain those areas in buildings where its just you crawling around with only the enemy but when you have to move from building to building the stealth gameplay would change to what I mentioned above. This could add some variety as one criticism I have seen of Alien Isolation is that it lasts too long.

That sounds terrifying. I love it. That's why T1 is my favourite.

Maybe to expand on this, you could make this only part 1 of the game. The alien isolation type deal.

Another potentially being T2, going into the future a bit and trying to prevent Skynet from happening. This would be more akin to your typical open world games.

Then a part 3 in the far future, and depending on what you completed during the first 2 parts will effect how the future is playing out. This future part could be where the developer puts in all the typical game commodities ie. multiplayer and shit.

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
This thread let me depressive.

I was already nostalgic and mad that we will possibly never get a good Terminator movie ever again. Dark Fate was a huge let down.

And now Resetera remember me that we may never get a good Terminator game as well. Like shown by the amount of ideas in this thread, there are so many possibilities.

My day and week are ruined. Thanks Resetera.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I will settle with a good Terminator game at this point.

The Idea sounds good for sure, but with the current flop of the new Terminator movie, chances for a new game are low.

Basically, our last hope is Terminator: Resistance. But seeing that it has no buzz at all then my hopes are not great.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
If you mean agame where you have to hide from a terminator

I know this may not be your ideal thing, but apperently there is a triple AAA Five nights at Freddy's game being worked on. And odds are, its just gonna be the thing you want, you know less future robots and more ghost filled animatronics

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
The IP is ripe for amazing games just like Alien and Robocop but nooooooooooooooooo, noone wants to do that shit.

I mean they've had some games over the years but not many with as much care as Isolation.

Oct 28, 2017
This thread let me depressive.

I was already nostalgic and mad that we will possibly never get a good Terminator movie ever again. Dark Fate was a huge let down.

And now Resetera remember me that we may never get a good Terminator game as well. Like shown by the amount of ideas in this thread, there are so many possibilities.

My day and week are ruined. Thanks Resetera.
I know now why you cry. But it is something I can never do.

Because I really liked Terminator Dark Fate it surprised me so much. Safe as fuck? Absolutely. But so damn enjoyable. Obviously it helps that it was the follow up to Genisys so my expectations couldn't have been any lower.

Oct 24, 2019
I would prefer any of the other old horror icons like Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, or Friday the 13th to get the Alien treatment (especially if they try to maintain the look/texture of the original movies like they did in Alien)

jpbonadio

Nov 8, 2017
I know now why you cry. But it is something I can never do.

Because I really liked Terminator Dark Fate it surprised me so much. Safe as fuck? Absolutely. But so damn enjoyable. Obviously it helps that it was the follow up to Genisys so my expectations couldn't have been any lower.

My expectations were already low after the trailers, and even then I left the theater very dissapointed.

May 26, 2019
It could be a hit-man and watch dogs:legion like game where you could play as the T-1000 and can morph as any NPC you want to get your target, but in order to get the NPC you want to morph into, you have secretly kill them without raising suspicion. Dogs and the way your character talks to people could alert others to you being a terminator. I think that could be a cool idea.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
This topic gave me nostalgic vibes for what IMO are the last really good Terminator games, Bethesda's Future Shock and SkyNET, from 1995-1996. They were FPSes set after the nuclear apocalypse, with level designs that had a very open-world feel. You could wander around exploring bombed-out buildings, scavenging for gear, driving vehicles, and working with John Connor and the resistance to undermine and sabotage Skynet operations. Future Shock in particular was also very technically impressive for its time; I think it was actually the first shooter to use polygonal models? It was buggy as hell per Bethesda norms but a lot of issues were fixed by the second game.

With the current open-world trend in gaming, I believe a Terminator game like Future Shock could be done again today with modern systems and actually be successful. That's not the problem. The problem IMO is the Terminator IP itself which has become diluted with some fairly mediocre films in recent years, and as a result the franchise means something different to modern audiences than it does to us old hats. Still, I think someone could pull it off. What I'd give for a MachineGames production set in this universe!

Looking at them now they are pretty clunky but when they released I loved them. They hit right in that area where T2 had been released a few years ago but no movie sequel was planned. The starting scene of T2 was really something I wanted to see more of, the future war, fighting terminators in the ruins. Future Shock and Skynet really delivered that concept well. Future Shock also has one of the coolest shotgun animations ever.

Before these games we got Terminator 2029 (1992) which was more of a Dungeon Master format. It was not great but had cool visuals.

I agree that the Terminator IP has circled the drain for years now by failing to capture the magic of the first two films while also bringing nothing new to the franchise. If they had taken their plot lines from the Dark Horse Terminator comics they would have gotten something more interesting. In fact one of the main plot twists of Terminator Salvation is from those but they just managed to fuck it all up by revealing the twist in the trailer and it's even on the Imdb page!

Oct 28, 2017
It could be a hit-man and watch dogs:legion like game where you could play as the T-1000 and can morph as any NPC you want to get your target, but in order to get the NPC you want to morph into, you have secretly kill them without raising suspicion. Dogs and the way your character talks to people could alert others to you being a terminator. I think that could be a cool idea.
Yeah now this would be really interesting. Again, I question how this could hold up an entire game. But I suppose this could just be one mode of the game?

By the way the abilities you would have as the T-1000 should include being able to slip through small gaps, and even hide yourself in the environment like that scene in T2 where it morphs in to the floor.

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017

Absolutely. FUTURE SHOCK felt like a really big open world to young me at the time. Scary as fuck.
Fallout 4 at night, with Institute androids relentlessly chasing you in burned out ruins also gave similar vibes, albeit a bit jankier.
A Ghost Recon: Wildlands style open world map of L.A. up to Colorado with the Cheyenne mountains complex where Skynet HQ is located and then players are a 1-4 player TechCom unit trying to survive, scavenge, upgrade, fight and sneak there way into the time displacement complex to finish the game.
Time of Day, Weather, hidden human survivor bunkers, patrolling HK tanks.
Make each enemy a challenge, Terminators are natural bullet sponges as well.
Think that would be a very nice recipe for a Next-Gen open world Terminator experience.

Respawn

Dec 5, 2017
Great idea, but I think it would be better if you were running away from the terminator, rather then just hiding on a small level.
That doesn't make any sense. The whole game running? The levels can be based on future earth after the fall. Have the player head into dark dangerous facilities and complete objectives and in the same breath have the tension and gameplay iof isolation thrown in.

Feb 10, 2018
That doesn't make any sense. The whole game running? The levels can be based on future earth after the fall. Have the player head into dark dangerous facilities and complete objectives and in the same breath have the tension and gameplay iof isolation thrown in.

Yes your idea of a game set in some post war building could work, but to me does not represent the terminator franchise the best.

Running away from the terminator is one of the most prominent aspects from the terminator movies.

I love games where u run away from an incoming doom, it is rare though games like inside and the beginning of half life 2 had great running away parts.

Oct 28, 2017
Yes your idea of a game set in some post war building could work, but to me does not represent the terminator franchise the best.

Running away from the terminator is one of the most prominent aspects from the terminator movies.

I love games where u run away from an incoming doom, it is rare though games like inside and the beginning of half life 2 had great running away parts.
Yes, Terminator is a chase movie first and foremost, and it's important that a Terminator game translates that aspect well in an element of its gameplay.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I've been playing System Shock: Alien: Isolation, and I just rewatched T1, and I couldn't stop thinking about how great it would be as a sandbox game.

600px-TERMSE_SIDEA-2.jpg

Start out in 80s LA, no equipment. Get your bearings, and track down your victim before The Terminator does.

Could easily work as a game with endless variable gameplay loops, too. Different city layouts, different victims, etc.

Sadly, seems like all we're getting are shoot'em'ups out of the franchise, but maybe someone will run with this idea one day.
This could be ridiculously cool.

First thing that came to mind was persistent damage to the Terminator, since there's only one enemy in the game; if you shoot it in the eye that damage should be visible and present for the rest of the game. It would degrade over the course of the game until it was just a metal skeleton.

There should be very little ammo, a lot of running away and improving weapons.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
It'd be interesting if it was set in an environment like San Andreas -- I could even see it as just a mode for GTA Online. Have a T1 mode in which you're Kyle Reese, and a T2 mode in which you're the T-800. Multiplayer could work too where in T1 mode another player is the T-800 and in T2 mode another player is the T-1000.

One of the very first Terminator games on the PC, just called "The Terminator", kind of tried this. You start out as either The Terminator or Kyle Reese and you have search LA to kill or find and rescue Sarah Connor, buying/stealing equipment and fighting police along the way. The trouble was that it came out in '91 and couldn't really do the concept justice.

This game was made by Bethesda right? I watched a gameplay video of it and it seemed to be pretty much a proto-Elder Scrolls.

Gimme a Predator Isolation first.

The ideal Predator game would be advertised as an entirely normal, tropical-themed military shooter right up until the day of release at which point players slowly realized the developer and publisher cooked up a story and tossed them into a meat grinder.

That Predator update for Ghost Recon Wildlands should've just been shadow dropped with no prior warning or PR.

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
I want it so badly. Just get a studio and writer who absolutely adore T1 and have experience with horror. An original story set in the universe. Lots of gore, body horror and getting ambushed.

Many people say that the Future War is boring, so setting the game in present or heck even late 90s LA would be really interesting. Or hell, set the entire game outside of Los Angeles, there's a whole universe out there to play with. Basically play as someone from the Resistance sent back in time to investigate and protect a key target marked by Skynet. You've got weapons and traps to defend yourself, and can hide. Maybe human enemies as well to mix things up.

Last edited:

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
OP, did you read my post from a few months ago? I remember posting something very similar to this, except you're the one targeted for Termination.

Skynet and Terminator: Future Shock in the 90's were hugely influential for the FPS genre as a whole, and definitely leaned more on the horror elements of the series more than the action. Terminator: Future Shock was among the first FPS games on PC to use mouselook and texture mapping on 3D assets, to boot. Those two games are probably the best Terminator games ever made. Shame they're both coming up on 25 years old; it's been too long for this series.

Oct 26, 2017
I think the Terminator and Alien licences could be well served by a Telltale style game.
Take Alien for example, a group of people trapped on a ship with a hostile alien with you making decisions about who goes where and does what. No guns or action sequences.

Vandal Deca

Oct 21, 2018
The more I read everyone's thoughts on the topic, the more I agree that there are multiple good Terminator game pitches here. Now I'm thinking of a game like Outlast, where you're pursued by a lone Terminator (or maybe a small handful of infiltrators sent back to different points over a short span of time). Personally I'd really just love an update to Future Shock. I've still got my copy on CD-ROM around here somewhere. Wonder how well it runs on DosBox...

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
This reminded that post war terminator would also work with game like X-com or Jagged Alliance.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think the Terminator and Alien licences could be well served by a Telltale style game.
Take Alien for example, a group of people trapped on a ship with a hostile alien with you making decisions about who goes where and does what. No guns or action sequences.
Or an Alien game similar to Until Dawn.
However since I've already experienced Alien: Isolation, and unless proven wrong, I refuse to accept another Alien game that doesn't look and play like that one. lol

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Licenses are too expensive. If they handed it out somehow for free or minimum cost, maybe.

AerialAir

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
A big map where Sarah Connor and the Terminator are droped like in Fortnite/PUBG

Somewhere on the map, there's a player controlling John Connor, who needs to be rescued

Terminator's objective is to kill him, of course. Sarah's is to find him before the Terminator does and lead them to a boat, in order to escape

There's a timer or something like that to give urgency

I dig it. Could also work with Predator
I admit I'd actually prefer, and I think it makes more sense, with Predator.

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Oct 28, 2017
That's pretty likely now, lol.

I think Terminator 1 has been surpassing it recently, you see T1 being remembered more fondly for its atmosphere and oppressive vibe(not that T2 isn't great too).
I love both. Terminator 2 was always by far my favourite growing up and it was only when I got older that I started to really appreciate T1 more. It's definitely the more scary movie with a darker tone. But good god the action in T2 is special.

BrutalInsane

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So I'm playing the new Terminator: Resistance game, and I thought of this thread. It's pretty good! I just played a mission sneaking through a hospital that totally gave me A:I vibes.

This is my 'first impression' review in the PC gaming thread:

So after playing the last few hours, I'm really enjoying it! Definitely a AA game, but everything works, and it's fun! I was thinking it was a little too easy (I'm playing on the hardest skill level), but I just got my ass kicked by a patrol of T-800s playing a mission that reminds me of Alien: Isolation. You can't kill the T-800 with projectile weapons at the point I'm at, so it's a lot of hiding, which is cool that they made stealth an option.

I'm going to revise what I said earlier, it reminds me less of fallout then it does the first and second Metro games, with a light skill tree, crafting and bartering. They definitely nailed the atmosphere. One thing I would recommend . . . turn off the music, the sound design is super immersive. The 'immersion factor' is probably the strongest aspect of the game.

So, a definite recommend, after 2+ hours with the game. And funny enough, I just found out it's made by the people that made that terrible point and click Rambo game from a few years ago. Mind blown.