• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
Ahaha, why? You're upset that I gave a realistic answer regarding a developer that took 12 (seven, depending on how you look at it) years to release a single game?

News flash: I'm a huge fan of both old-school Square Soft and modern Square Enix, and I'm probably more forgiving of their development tomfoolery than the vast majority of folks on this board. All my gaming time is going to Kingdom Hearts III right now and I'm super excited for Final Fantasy VII Remake -- but that doesn't mean I'm willing to put happy-time blinders on like some fans and pretend Square Enix is likely to release or give us a significant update on its development anytime soon.

If we get a major news dump tomorrow? GREAT. I'd love to be wrong, and I'll happily admit it if I am, but I think you'd have to be drinking deeply of the Midgar Kool-aid to expect anything big soon.

Was I being slightly snarky when I said tomorrow next year? Yes. I obviously do think we'll get some kind of news and updates by then. But if a tiny amount of entirely good-natured, historically appropriate snarkiness that wasn't even aimed at you but a major corporation is all it takes for you to get so riled up on a message board that you're calling for someone to be banned over it, perhaps a significant reshuffling of your priorities is in order. It's just a video game, dude.

Let the mods mod and move on.
[EDIT: eh, nvm]

It's absolutely not unrealistic to expect big news on it this year. Since last year Nomura and Kitase have stated multiple times now that after KH3 is out FFVIIR will be their next priority marketing-wise and the other week they clearly hinted at it finally being shown off again this year when asked about their plans for 2019 (all quotes literally in the OP):
Nomura:

Keyword: 7

Thoughts: Various presentations to be released.

Kitase:

Keyword: Long-awaited!

Thoughts: Development on Final Fantasy 7 Remake is progressing smoothly! I would like to try hard to meet the expectations of fans.

Source.
When asked about Final Fantasy VII Remake during a recent interview, director Tetsuya Nomura said he acknowledges that there's been some fake news [Likely about the rumored 2023 release window] and fans may feel uneasy about it but he said the development is going favorably and solidifying.

However, Nomura said that the lack of new information on Final Fantasy VII Remake has nothing to do with its development Status. According to the director, the reason for this is because Square Enix is prioritizing the release of other titles, including Kingdom Hearts III.

Square Enix is currently looking ahead for a possible timing to release new information on Final Fantasy VII Remake, and Nomura asked fans to wait a little while longer. Kingdom Hearts III releases in January 25-29, 2019, so hopefully we'll get a more steady flow of news on the game after its release.

Source.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Wasn't entirely joking and wasn't trying to be funny. Again, you getting this upset over something so thoroughly innocuous is really bizarre. But perhaps we can find some common ground via our shared hype for FF VII Remake? That's why we're both in this thread, after all, and my intention was not to make a drive-by post and then peace out. I'm following the thread.
It's boring and annoying reading this joke everywhere, just letting you know.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
[EDIT: eh, nvm]

It's absolutely not unrealistic to expect big news on it this year. Since last year Nomura and Kitase have stated multiple times now that after KH3 is out FFVIIR will be their next priority marketing-wise and the other week they clearly hinted at it finally being shown off again this year when asked about their plans for 2019 (all quotes literally in the OP):
Well, obviously. Giving news on ffviir while they're heavily marketing kh3 would be simply a complete failure and waste of money. KH 3 and final fantasy are square-enix's square side flagship.
Meanwhile, the publisher has provided us with Nier automata, dragon quest xi, world of final fantasy and others... R* on the other hand released only ONE game in 5+ years, guess who is shitted on.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really don't get how showing a teaser trailer or something during KH3's launch hurts the game in anyway.

"Okay I guess I won't buy Kingdom Hearts III now because....?"

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
I guess the dream is dead
T4N7T0o.png

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
The question is not "if", but rather "when in 2019".

I really want it to be sometime before E3, but I don't know if they'd make an event (if the game releases, say, next year) or if Sony's doing something on their own before June. I hate the thought of it, but the likeliest option seems, to me, a late 2019 showcase.

Unless they actually decide to show the game in their own conference, Sony be damned.
I guess the dream is dead
T4N7T0o.png
What if it's taking so long due to how hard it is to make Cloud a dork again???

That KH/AC/Dissidia darkness doesn't go away so easily.

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
I expect a steady release of information regarding the game to start this year, similar to how KH3 had trailers every once in a while years before release. And I mean, from recent interviews, that seems like it's their plan as well. Unless something goes terribly wrong.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I'm half expecting radio silence all through 2019 tbh.
I wouldn't put past them not following through their teases, but they straight up insinuated 2019 in the Famitsu excerpt as a year for VII-R news, at least, so it'd be quite like lying tbh.

All things considered though, it's obviously not confirmation of anything substantial or even at all. Just that they know when they're showing stuff next (so reminiscent of the Versus days :_) and that they're focusing on VII-R this year.

But I'd be very surprised if we get nothing this year. Slightly less surprised if we don't see the game releasing next year (still counting on a Spring 2020 release, because why not).

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't put past them not following through their teases, but they straight up insinuated 2019 in the Famitsu exceprt as a year for VII-R news, at least, so it'd be quite like lying tbh.

Although all things considered, it's obviously not confirmation of anything substantial or at all. Just that they know when they're showing stuff next (rings a bell) and that they're focusing on VII-R now.

I'd be very surprised if we get nothing this year. Slightly less surprised if we don't see the game releasing next year (still counting on a Spring 2020 release, because why not).
Either lying, or the more likely scenario, they just ran out of time/resources. Not the first time, Hashimoto promised a great 2018 for Final Fantasy and absolutely nothing good came out in that year. The opposite actually, since 2018 sees the announcement of Tabata leaving Square and FFXV dlcs cancelled for good. Square Enix has an infamous horrendous management.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
Either lying, or the more likely scenario, they just ran out of time/resources. Not the first time, Hashimoto promised a great 2018 for Final Fantasy and absolutely nothing good came out in that year. The opposite actually, since 2018 sees the announcement of Tabata leaving Square and FFXV dlcs cancelled for good. Square Enix has an infamous horrendous management.
Yeah, I was definitely thinking about that one. Sure, you could make the case that we had some nice FF news with all of the Switch stuff or that there might have been a misunderstanding or mistranslation. But man.

The Tabata situation is still the most bizarre thing I've seen in this industry. How out of touch do you have to be to pull off something like that? S-E has improved a lot in the last few years, but they still have that thing going on that is quite annoying.

It's a different beast (especially seeing that it's a different team and a reeeeally established IP), but KHIII being so good gives me hopes with regards to VII-R and makes the wait more annoying than usual.

Deleted member 26900

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I swear we hype ourselves up so much for no reason. How about we wait until Square actually says something. Then we can be excited!

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think we'll get a substantial update on the game this year. We have to remember the thing's been in development since a year before it was announced in 2015. That means we're looking at almost 5 years right now and we're probably a good year from release. It'll end up being in development for almost twice the amount of time as the most recent Final Fantasy in XV. And since Tai Yasue was apparently doing the day to day directing on Kingdom Hearts 3, it'd be baseless to assume Nomura hasn't been preoccupied with FF7.

Considering it's multiple games, I'm pretty sure we must be nearing the end of the first game now. The next generation is right around the corner too, so I don't see Square Enix delaying this. FF7 was a big game, but it's not that big that you can't get a portion of it out in this amount of time. If anything, I'd be surprised if what does release feels representative of the 6 years it's probably going to take it to come out.

I think it releases before the PS5/NextBox are here, which means 2020 is it.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
If you seriously don't think FF7R has been moved to next gen at this point, I don't know what to tell you. They're not going to split an episodic game between gens and they're not going to put a PS4 game out in 2026 or whatever when the final episode makes it out. The only possible reason to think they would put Episode 1 of this out on PS4 is the assumption that Square is borderline inept and has zero foresight, which...okay, yeah, I'll grant you that one. But still. This is a PS5 game.

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
If you seriously don't think FF7R has been moved to next gen at this point, I don't know what to tell you. They're not going to split an episodic game between gens and they're not going to put a PS4 game out in 2026 or whatever when the final episode makes it out. The only possible reason to think they would put Episode 1 of this out on PS4 is the assumption that Square is borderline inept and has zero foresight, which...okay, yeah, I'll grant you that one. But still. This is a PS5 game.
Not impossible that the first part is still cross-gen if it's out in 2019/2020 with a next-gen/PC port a year later or so. And, like, its not going to be a huge physics-heavy open-world game, so why would the other two episodes be so fundamentally more ambitious technically anyway that they couldn't stay PS4 games until 2024 or so, just with appropriate upgrade patches for their next-gen versions? (I kinda assume that's how cross-gen will work on next-gen systems, e.g. you'll be able to download first-party PS4 games, especially the later ones like TLOU2, Death Stranding, Tsushima etc. that will release close to PS5, and just play them in PS5 mode and maybe even with an extra 4K texture pack.)

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

I don't think you have thought this post through. Why would SE release this early next gen to a relatively small install base.

At absolute worst this is cross gen. It will come out on PS4 and then a will get an upgrade for PS5.

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
The bette question is:

Who is still anticpating Final Fantasy VII Remake news?

It's been 3 years since the announcement, and every news that followed was disappointing since then.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Square Enix fans get let down for 5 years and still be hyped up on release date bahaha

Dressing up as cloud at gamestop in 2022

chocnut

Oct 27, 2017
Does anybody remember the FFVII "remake" they showed for the PS3 reveal? What was that - 2006?

OP
OP
Koozek

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017

Interesting. Is he an investor? Found a LinkedIn of someone with his name who's living in Tokyo too. And this site.

I've been saying for a while FFVIIR-1 will probably be late 2019/early 2020. Would fit the huge expected spike in income for this fiscal year April 2019-April 2020 that they mentioned in last year's financial report. Must be due to FFVIIR and/or Avengers, I guess.

elXm4sP.png

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting. Is he an investor? Found a LinkedIn of someone with his name who's living in Tokyo too. And this site.

I've been saying for a while FFVIIR-1 will probably be late 2019/early 2020. Would fit the huge expected spike in income for this fiscal year April 2019-April 2020 that they mentioned in last year's financial report. Must be due to FFVIIR and/or Avengers, I guess.

elXm4sP.png

This guy ia a well known japanese journalist. If FF VII will be at E3 then I guess we will be having a Square press conference (or video like last year). If they announce something like that then it's definitely for the Remake.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018

They don't have many blockbuster games announced more than FFVII:R and Avengers which both have the potential to bolster spikes in the numbers. Sure they have some other titles like Babylon's Fall & Hideo Baba's new game in the works but those are not at the scale of the first mentioned projects. Smaller projects like a Tokyo RPG factory game will probably be announced this year as well. We don't know what Sony's plans are yet so assuming SE will have a presentation at E3 they will probably show either 7R or Avengers, maybe even both.