• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ebullientprism

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BIG is out, rightfully so. I had really high hopes for gob b and his mates this time.

But they really didn't deserve to win today. They literally threw train (that knife by Tabsen?!) and showed on overpass that they have no idea how to play this map. At no point did they have map control, they either overstacked A or B.

Tabsen is a really good player, but he's simply not an AWPer, Xantares obviously can't handle the pressure of LAN, and they're missing a coach (what a weird decision).
And those two mirage picks... ugh, frustrating.

This is gonna be gutting for them. Next Major is in Germany/home turf and the EU minor is gonna be an absolute meatgrinder. There is a decent to good chance they are gonna miss the major in their hometown.

Shame. I really like their team. :(

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
This is gonna be gutting for them. Next Major is in Germany/home turf and the EU minor is gonna be an absolute meatgrinder. There is a decent to good chance they are gonna miss the major in their hometown.

Shame. I really like their team. :(

Yeah, real shame. They need to step up their game and do roster changes (+coach +awp) imo if they want to succeed.

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I am so confused as to why Renegades didn't ban nuke. That should be every team's priority when facing Astralis. Sure, you're probably not winning a best of 3 against them regardless, but don't gift them a map right off the bat that they haven't lost since, when, ever? Sure, you may not like overpass, but Astralis has a 50% record on it and a 100% record on nuke; which do you like your odds on better?

Kudos on Renegades for taking mirage though.

Overpass is their permaban. So they don't train or play it, because it's their worst map. Against every other team it makes sense that you permaban your worst map, but the problem is Astralis is godlike on Nuke. So you kinda have to choose between the better map against every other team or the better map against Astralis and for Renegades it makes sense to choose the worst map against teams not named Astralis. Renegades don't expect to play many Bo3 games against Astralis, so it's better for them that they focus on beating the smaller teams.

A lot of top teams, like Liquid and Navi, had the same problem last year and that's why they began training their permaban, so they could permaban Nuke against Astralis. But it makes more sense for the top teams because they know that they will probably play against Astralis in a Bo3 and they can beat smaller teams on their old Permaban.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Overpass is their permaban. So they don't train or play it, because it's their worst map. Against every other team it makes sense that you permaban your worst map, but the problem is Astralis is godlike on Nuke. So you kinda have to choose between the better map against every other team or the better map against Astralis and for Renegades it makes sense to choose the worst map against teams not named Astralis. Renegades don't expect to play many Bo3 games against Astralis, so it's better for them that they focus on beating the smaller teams.

A lot of top teams, like Liquid and Navi, had the same problem last year and that's why they began training their permaban, so they could permaban Nuke against Astralis. But it makes more sense for the top teams because they know that they will probably play against Astralis in a Bo3 and they can beat smaller teams on their old Permaban.
I understand this, but there's also the element of "what map does Astralis want to play?" that should be part of the thought process. If Renegades bans overpass, Astralis will pick nuke 100% of the time (and they won't lose). If Renegades bans nuke, what are the odds Astralis picks overpass? It's not part of their regular rotation either. They likely opt for inferno, and then Renegades uses their next ban on overpass and you end up on dust2 most likely, where Renegades may not be favored, but they have better than a 1% chance of winning. And if Astralis does go for gamesmanship and picks overpass? Well, are your odds there any worse than your odds on nuke anyway? There is no reason for any team to ever consider banning anything other than nuke when playing Astralis, full stop.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
I understand this, but there's also the element of "what map does Astralis want to play?" that should be part of the thought process. If Renegades bans overpass, Astralis will pick nuke 100% of the time (and they won't lose). If Renegades bans nuke, what are the odds Astralis picks overpass? It's not part of their regular rotation either. They likely opt for inferno, and then Renegades uses their next ban on overpass and you end up on dust2 most likely, where Renegades may not be favored, but they have better than a 1% chance of winning. And if Astralis does go for gamesmanship and picks overpass? Well, are your odds there any worse than your odds on nuke anyway? There is no reason for any team to ever consider banning anything other than nuke when playing Astralis, full stop.

I agree. Complexity also didn't ban nuke vs them.
Against any other team you shouldn't do that but against Astralis your only chance is to make them play a map that is not nuke. Unfortunately, you have to play them on a map that is not their best, no matter how good or bad your team is on that map.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
this NRG/coL series has been pretty great.

Some ugly counter strike being played, but the games are very competitive and if you have your pick em on the line it just makes it even more entertaining lol.

Klaphat

Banned
Dec 18, 2017

I think you underestimate how important it is for teams to train on maps. Renegades might never have trained overpass. We really don't know. Look how long time it took for Team Liquid and NaVi to ban Nuke against Astralis. They had to train their normal permabans.

Also Astralis still plays Overpass so they would probably just have picked it and destroyed Renegades anyway. I kinda think that some of the smaller teams are hoping to be the team that break Astralis Nuke streak. It can't last forever...

Ebullientprism

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Play against Astralis.
Ban Nuke because you aren't brain dead.
Get smacked anyway because its Astralis lul.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It kinda sucks. Without Astralis this could have been anyone's major. Liquid, Vitality, G2, Navi, Mibr (and probably even NiP) all look more or less equal and any team could beat the other on a good day.

As it is, everyone is fighting for second place. The gulf in quality between Astralis and everyone else is unreal.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I agree. Complexity also didn't ban nuke vs them.
Against any other team you shouldn't do that but against Astralis your only chance is to make them play a map that is not nuke. Unfortunately, you have to play them on a map that is not their best, no matter how good or bad your team is on that map.
Didn't Complexity basically just say "fuck it, we drew Astralis, let's just lose and move on to round 2," so they didn't care what map they played? No point giving away strats early when your chances to win, regardless of the map draw, are very, very low.

I think Nuke is going to be the next one removed from the rotation, or at least it should be. It's by far the worst map and the most one-sided.
It's the most boring to watch from a spectator perspective. Never liked playing it much either. I'd rather watch cbble, and that's hardly a balanced map.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
It's the most boring to watch from a spectator perspective. Never liked playing it much either. I'd rather watch cbble, and that's hardly a balanced map.
Yeah, and it's really sad because Nuke was one of my favorite maps in 1.5/1.6, but the changes they made to wallbanging and later the map, really ruined it. That map needs some major overhaul

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Yeah, and it's really sad because Nuke was one of my favorite maps in 1.5/1.6, but the changes they made to wallbanging and later the map, really ruined it. That map needs some major overhaul
Nuke is weird for me. I never liked playing it, really, and I never much cared to watch matches played on it. But looking back, there are some all-time great moments that happened on nuke. Potti's ace retake on upper, Megaton's 1v4 deagle clutch, Bullseye getting a 1v5 ninja defuse, X3 vs. NiP in CPL Winter 2001, shaguar cratering off rafters in a tense 1v1 against element... And, like you said, the Swedish guys like Spawn and zet figuring out all these wild wallbang angles and continually fragging people sight unseen halfway across the map. I still don't think it needs a spot in the rotation though.

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
I love watching Nuke. Especially when teams know how to play the T side. If the Ts get outside control, it keeps the CTs guessing, since they can get to anywhere on the map, which makes it refreshing and keeps u engaged. It's a lot more fun than something like Cache, which plays out the same way every game.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
I love watching Nuke. Especially when teams know how to play the T side. If the Ts get outside control, it keeps the CTs guessing, since they can get to anywhere on the map, which makes it refreshing and keeps u engaged. It's a lot more fun than something like Cache, which plays out the same way every game.
Yeah, it's really fun to watch since there are a lot of plays possible on the T side. It's also cool before when you're not sure where it's planted since there is no different with the tick sound.

Hixx

Oct 25, 2017
Train and Cache need to be removed and reworked before Nuke which I honestly think is fine as it is; would like to see hut be a little less awkward to deal with as terrorist but outside, B and ramp are all in a good place imo. I believe Cache is already being worked on by fmpone anyway and should release sometime this year.

-Train +cbbl for next major please valve.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I only have three right so far. Not looking good.

Vitality, G2, FAZE, and NIP. Two of these have to advance for me or RIP.

Ebullientprism

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why pick Train when you have no dedicated AWPer and its one of MIBRs stronger maps?
Why peak at 14-14 when trying to save AK, ensuring you have a shit buy on game point.
Why have Pita on coach when he never hi fives anyone and doesnt talk during tactical time outs?
Why break Dennis' mouse for the whole tournament forcing him to play with a Thrustmaster racing wheel controller?

Why do I root for this shit team?

#Justnipthings

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
Meh, coL looks pretty disciplined tbh. Far from the regular NA pug style.
I saw one of their players take 100dmg from a molotov, twice. They were also full on stacking bomb sites on gun rounds against NRG.

Don't get me wrong, it's glorious to watch and it feels like they are all of us, but they play a very different brand of CS than all of other teams at this stage.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
Even tho they were already legends, coL had to play Astralis, MiBR and now FaZe. That is some ridiculously tough schedule, they basically got punished for securing a legends spot on the last major.

For the next major, how would you guys feel if all the legends teams had to be ranked 1-8 on the initial rankings?

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
My Pick'Ems live to fight another day. NIP, Vitality and, Faze. Two of them have to win tomorrow!

original.gif

Hixx

Oct 25, 2017
Need Faze or Ence to win tomorrow to keep the pick'em dream live.

Got very little faith in Faze, they look really bad. Olof has had a terrible tournament in particular. And Adren... was just not a good addition at all. He's just a temporary addition right? I can't remember. But Cloud9 are Cloud9 and are capable of being extremely bad... which is at least worse than just being really bad :p

Ence v Avangar is about as difficult to call as you can get too.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
My Pick'Em comes down to Faze sine NIP and Vitality are playing against each other.

They are playing C9, so they definitely have a chance of winning. C9 is just really random, sometimes they do really well or times they get 16-0. So hopefully they don't show up tomorrow.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
vZ2PkPv.jpg

Playoffs looking really good, the new seeding format limits the upsets and it's great tbh. Astralis still far ahead of everyone else, but we should have some really good matches going forward.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The only match up I'm conflicted by is MIBR and Renegades. I think that could go either way.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
The only match up I'm conflicted by is MIBR and Renegades. I think that could go either way.
Map pool here is in favor or Renegades, that's for sure. And with the way MiBR has been forcing Inferno, they could end up playing Cache/Inferno/Mirage, Renegades best 3 maps.

With that said I can't go against my boys this early in the playoffs, especially when coldzera is looking like his old self.