• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
This major has been pretty good so far. Some great matches, unexpected upsets.. Far cry from the last one in Katowice

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I'm watching a replay of the Liquid - Mousesports match and I noticed that Mouz didn't buy helmets on one round of OT (obviously because AK and AWP headshots are fatal regardless of a helmet and you would anticipate Ts buying those weapons in OT). But knowing that Elige favors the Krieg (as does NAF from time to time), wouldn't you think that extra $350 is worth it? Is this a common thing now (CTs not buying helmets) or just Mouz trying to overthink things?

Anyway, this Major is delivering some bangers so far. The Liquid Mouz match was so close despite the 2-0, as was Astralis NRG on train (and then NRG made Astralis look like clowns on what used to be their best map, which is so bizarre). Liquid Astralis in the quarterfinals is appointment TV for sure.

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
I'm watching a replay of the Liquid - Mousesports match and I noticed that Mouz didn't buy helmets on one round of OT (obviously because AK and AWP headshots are fatal regardless of a helmet and you would anticipate Ts buying those weapons in OT). But knowing that Elige favors the Krieg (as does NAF from time to time), wouldn't you think that extra $350 is worth it? Is this a common thing now (CTs not buying helmets) or just Mouz trying to overthink things?
SG headhshot will kill you even with head armor, the weapon has 100% armor penetration.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Yeah no shit. Who in the world picked rng to advance over ence, ESPECIALLY with how ence have been performing in this major? Fucking crazy. And now avangar takes first map over vitality o.0
If ENCE and Vitality both go out today, that would be a shocking (and very interesting) result. If Liquid can make it through the death bracket of Astralis and NRG/NaVi only to face Renegades or Avangar in the Finals? Bonkers.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Nrg has a tendency to do well in group stage and not show up during play offs. I think liquid isn't in their best form, but will still take down astralis. But at this point, it's probably best if you throw all your expectations out the window lol

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if Astralis win this major (prolly gonna lose against Liquid though). They'll only show up at majors in the future to win the grand prize and chill for the rest of the year.

Edit: if all the underdogs are winning, Astralis and Navi will go through? :>

Last edited:

Olaf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like upsets as much as the next guy, but now the final will just be a dud like last time.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
I just watched the YouTube vid of the first quarter final....jesus the production is a little ridiculous.

babe

Nov 12, 2017
tbh with almost nothing leading up to the major (ie no regular season, most of the top teams are just in by default) teams that arent as good like avangar and rng making it this far just feels cheap, like getting cheated out of seeing better teams play without anyone really earning it. just makes it hard to get invested in the overall outcome of the tournament if you arent betting

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
Which better teams exactly? The current HLTV top 6 made it all to the playoffs and RNG/Avangar beat up all the other teams like C9, G2, Faze, Ence and Vitality to make it to the semis.

Upsets makes the major more exciting. Especially with the current seeded swiss stage, which makes it hard for lower seeded teams to make the playoffs in the first place.

babe

Nov 12, 2017
a couple of upsets over a two or three day period is not nearly as interesting or as earned as a seasons worth of performances and i dont want to watch two teams play against each other that i dont expect to play as well as they did to get into the playoffs

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
nrg arent getting back into this with astralis in this form. astralis v avangar grand final = another astralis major.

edit: also, RIP the whole world's pick ems

Smurf

Oct 25, 2017
I agree there was little hype coming into the Major, mostly because teams were skipping a lot of the events leading up to it and some big teams like Na 'Vi, FaZe and MiBR were in bad form. But so far the Major delivered us some great matchups and since my pick 'em are dead already, I have no problems with watching Astralis win their 3rd in a row, incredible stuff.

Hixx

Oct 25, 2017
Hello this is why the "upsets make the major more exciting" mantra is bad and uncool and majors should be at the end of the season not the start.

Klebby

Oct 25, 2017
another boring major.

Not because astralis won, but because valve simply aren't supporting the game at a level that gets anyone interested.
The major is their chance to show off all the new stuff and get people's interest, but they're just showing off the same game with no new stuff every time.

lazerfox

Oct 26, 2017
Switzerland
another boring major.

Not because astralis won, but because valve simply aren't supporting the game at a level that gets anyone interested.
The major is their chance to show off all the new stuff and get people's interest, but they're just showing off the same game with no new stuff every time.
I'm curious, what kind of new stuff would you like to see in CSGO? We got a completely new map for the first time in years in a major and it turned out to be shit.

But yeah I agree, they need to do something to pull me back in. New Cache is a start but I still haven't forgiven them for ruining cbbl like that.

real final was the Astralis v Liquid quarter finals game
I don't understand. Why were they on the same side of the bracket? They need to figure out the seeding so this doesn't happen again.