• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
One of my top 5 favorite games comes out with a new mode literally hours before Smash releases? I don't know what to play lol

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
One of my top 5 favorite games comes out with a new mode literally hours before Smash releases? I don't know what to play lol

Ha, same. CS:GO BR mode just released, Smash Ultimate out in 4 hours, Game Awards in 1 hour, PUBG Snow Map on test servers soon.

I don't know what to do...lol.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
haven't played cs in forever
last played cs source
does cs go have a mode with a lot of players that's still team deathmatch? at least 10v10? i like my multiplayers with lots of players

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Can't even play regular 5v5 currently if you're on AMD.

Last edited:

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
This is the worst thing Valve can do. I'm ok with new players experience GO but now cheaters can make multiple accounts without ever paying the game

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
I never played the newer CS, was very into it from 1.3 beta ( I think) until 2005 or so (1.6)

I thought they did a good job with TF2 when it went F2P (like the F2P version didn't feel too restricted), so why not, I'll give CSGO a go!

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
I'll try that shit. I don't mind the smaller player count because he'll I rarely fight more than 1-5 people in normal br modes lol. Could be faster action. We'll see I guess

Oct 26, 2017
Well, I guess that after being into pc gaming since 1993, I will see for myself what this newfangled game, 'CounterStrike', is about. I heard you shoot at people in short rounds??

Deleted member 10847

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Performance took a nose dive, really awfull sub 100fps in BR (Source is showing its age as its pouding the CPU really hard and GPU is at <50% usage), and i think that affected standard 5vs5 as well (not as dramatic).

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
People still think BR somehow requires a massive map with dozens of players?

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Played a bit and it isn't bad, but it's not really good either. I don't see it competing with games like Fortnite and PUBG. However, that's not the purpose of this mode. It's just to get people talking and playing CSGO.

There are people that will give this game a try now that it's free and it has BR. If it still costed $15 and they added BR this probably wouldn't have worked because there are better options out there. New players come and they try BR. They are like this is kinda fun, let me try other stuff. So they play Casual, Deathmatch, War Games, community servers, and etc. Some might even stay long enough to play comp. They are going to increase the player base no matter what by doing this and making CSGO even more relevant than it already is.

It's a win-win for Valve.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I'll give it a shot, Counter-Strike is a heaping pile of trash but this might mix things up. 16 players is comically low to be considered battle royale, but it's something different at least.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
This sucks for existing players. The prime pool is probably going to shrink and no thanks to playing with F2Pers. Hacks everywhere.

Applebite

Oct 27, 2017
huh doesn't CS have the VAC thing integrated?? i thought VAC prevents all hacks for games with it

(I don't play CS so I don't know)
VAC isn't terrible but there's a lot of people that circumvent it, this is also why they have the Overwatch system in the game (if players get reported enough, other players can view the demo in an anonymized form where they vote on whether or not the player was cheating). Valve has also been working on something called VACNet, which I guess is machine learning trying to find patterns to ascertain whether players are cheating or not. Some have theorized they may have improved it before launching the update, which could be a counter to the huge influx of new potential cheaters. There are also third party server clients like FaceIt and ESEA that have their own anti-cheat software, which usually counters cheaters (or at least the more blatant ones) pretty hard. I play on Faceit and I imagine I probably won't notice a difference. Might be different in matchmaking, though.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I don't like the battle royale mode at all. 16 players is too few and the map is boring and weapon spawns aren't great. It's pretty underwhelming for something that I thought would be really good!

Overdoziz

Oct 26, 2017
Ive only been playing the occasional match here and there for the past year or so, but the entire trust factor system seems to work pretty well at keeping cheaters out and toxic people together. I wouldn't be too worried about a disruptive influx of cheaters if you have a relatively high trust factor. I could imagine it being a different story for new players, though.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The new cvars intoduced with the update are kinda amazing for everyone who's into modding.
You can design your own maps for the Battle Royale mod and increase the player count to 64 and above and even use vehicles and stuff like bow and arrows.

Danger Zone feels more like a foundation for mods than a stand-alone game mode at this point.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
haven't played cs in forever
last played cs source
does cs go have a mode with a lot of players that's still team deathmatch? at least 10v10? i like my multiplayers with lots of players

I don't remember offhand if its 10v10, but there's a TDM mode. There's also a gun game FFA mode.

SirFritz

Jan 22, 2018
The new cvars intoduced with the update are kinda amazing for everyone who's into modding.
You can design your own maps for the Battle Royale mod and increase the player count to 64 and above and even use vehicles and stuff like bow and arrows.

Danger Zone feels more like a foundation for mods than a stand-alone game mode at this point.
So is func_vehicle 2018 a go?

LabRat

Mar 16, 2018
i just tried my first round of csgo battle royal and i had a pretty miserable experience. took almost 10 minutes to find a game which then crashed. after another 5 minute wait the game started and it felt almost as floatly and unstable as pubg even though it just has 18 players. i expected more from valve tbh.

Oct 25, 2017
The matchmaking system for Danger Zone is terrible. The matchmaker finds 16 players and then they all have to accept. If even one does not accept, the entire lobby is gone and it does another search.

It should just let the 15 players stay together and find one more player.

And why the hell is there a 2 minute 30 second warmup before every game? Just makes the waiting even longer.

yuraya

Oct 25, 2017
Competitive Paladins has better queue times than this bullshit

Yea its the downside of this still being an old valve game.

Playing Artifact on the other hand...I click the find opponent button and 2 seconds later I see my opponents name and the game starts. Next gen matchmaking :D

Valve really needs to slowly start abandoning their pre 2013 infrastructure. Maybe making CSGO free is that necessary next step for them to start working on new bigger future projects for this and other franchises.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Playing Artifact on the other hand...I click the find opponent button and 2 seconds later I see my opponents name and the game starts. Next gen matchmaking :D

I imagine things are easier with cardgames because you're generally not worried about picking people from your region as latency is a very minor thing in the genre.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't Counterstrike, in a way, the first Battle Royale game ever albeit with a lower player count?
Aside from finding weapons, the main aspect of Battle Royale was always having no respawn and instead a last man standing style match, which Counterstrike did since it's inception.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Counterstrike, in a way, the first Battle Royale game ever albeit with a lower player count?
Aside from finding weapons, the main aspect of Battle Royale was always having no respawn and instead a last man standing style match, which Counterstrike did since it's inception.

Tetris was really the first BR game.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
18 players? Isn't that a bit low for a BR mode?

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Last Man Standing mods were around way before CS.

Kalamour

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like there is a Portal related ARG (or maybe just an easter egg) hidden in this update:

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like there is a Portal related ARG (or maybe just an easter egg) hidden in this update:

How deep does the rabbit hole go?
maxresdefault.jpg