• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for this thread. Didn't even see any hype for this anywhere else, but it quickly became one of my favourite shows recently. The setting is great, and I love how it's set in Berlin instead of just another American city. The acting is also great, of course. I really don't understand how there's so little interest in the show.

Great episode and I'm really excited to see how they flesh out the divergent character histories etc. Was kind of curious tho. The assassin girl was ten when her dad died and the split was like 30 years before right? She does NOT look a day over 30 if that even. Am I getting this wrong?

I was wondering just that, I swear I heard she was born in '94, which made me realize that was after the split. The series is set in 2018, right? I think I saw a document with a date in April of this year.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but I don't see anything that says she would have to be born before the split (or even that her father had to die before or on the split). Just because the split happened 30 years ago doesn't mean the copies started living completely different lives from exactly that point on. The lives of the copies were probably pretty similar for a while, then diverged as they kept making different decisions.

It seems perfectly possible that the two versions were born after the split, and then lived pretty similar lives until their father died, after which their lives split. In fact, given the abusive situation at home, there probably weren't many different paths the two versions could take during their childhood. Which would make the death of their father the first real point in their lives where they could start making different decisions. And how they chose to deal with their father's death seems clearly presented as the defining moment when their lives split apart. In short, the time of the initial split isn't necessarily the same as when the two copies of a character start living different lives.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Saw the pilot and found it to be very well done. J K Simmons did really good, and I really liked the plot and this whole idea of another world be exactly like ours but with differences. Simmons did super good portraying the two characters differently.

But since I watched with no subtitles (which I am not used to) there were things I didn't pick up on. I don't understand how the other world's Howard suddenly had his wife back? I guess it has to do with the assassin not getting to kill our world's Howard's wife, but I don't see how that brings back the other one since she was dead already?

I'm gonna go rewatch it with subtitles later, and try to understand it.

OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Saw the pilot and found it to be very well done. J K Simmons did really good, and I really liked the plot and this whole idea of another world be exactly like ours but with differences. Simmons did super good portraying the two characters differently.

But since I watched with no subtitles (which I am not used to) there were things I didn't pick up on. I don't understand how the other world's Howard suddenly had his wife back? I guess it has to do with the assassin not getting to kill our world's Howard's wife, but I don't see how that brings back the other one since she was dead already?

I'm gonna go rewatch it with subtitles later, and try to understand it.
He was lying

Last edited:

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This show is so damn good. I stumbled upon the pilot by accident last month and it was right up my alley.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Finished Episode 2. I wonder why Baldwin isn't going back to her own world. What is keeping her in ours, if she has more contracts to do. I see she had to take out Nadia, and now she's in custody. She gotta have someone on her part too who will want to break her out, maybe Howard2's ex wife is gonna do that just to keep the peace. I'm just curious who made a deal with Baldwin and who was so interested in the currency.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished episode 3, and liked this one too. The show finally moved away from the focus on action into actual espionage, and it was pretty interesting to see. I don't know what the spoiler policy is here, but everything from here on has episode 3 spoilers.

First, there's some nice world-building going on here. The show is extremely explicit about how the other world is suffering from some sort of an epidemic, but then pretty naturally weaves in details about how that actually affects the other side in regards to their focus on hygiene, as well as the fact that the other side is ages ahead of our own in terms of medical sciences, while lagging behind in others. The one unsolved question I have here is about the negotiation part, specifically why the US census data from years ago seemed so important to out world's side (about as important as oil drilling locations, apparently. Even more so, as the embassy head was unwilling to give out the most recent ones - saying he can only give out things before 2011, I think).

Other than that, the big thing to talk about is the ending of the episode, with some pretty heavy reveals. So Emily on our side was an informant for Howard on theirs, which actually ties up everything pretty nicely. It explains why she's in a coma (failed assassination attempt) and why Baldwin is after her (in retrospect, other side's Howard's explanation that they're after our Emily just to get to him doesn't make much sense when his Emily is still alive).

Then there's the letter at the end. The other side's Howard originally got it from our Emily, who told him to take care of our Howard. But when the Emily on the other side reads it, it takes on a double meaning, telling her to keep watch over our Howard (which I can only imagine was other Howard's way of telling her he's sending over a fake version of himself). Except other Emily is dead now, so whoever is acting against Howard probably also knows this now. But thinking about it, I can't imagine this turn of events would come as a surprise to other side's Howard. After all, he told Emily to pick up the letter in earshot of people he knew are acting against him. I can only assume this is part of his plan, but sacrificing his Emily for it seems like a pretty steep price to pay, even for him. Unless all the implied affection was just acting on his part, but I'm not really convinced of that.

Overall, I'm liking this show more and more, and this episode managed to have plenty of surprises in store that make me wonder about how the rest of it is going to play out.

@ShenmueGuru

Nov 7, 2017
I'm liking it, but there's something that's irking me..... Which I can't work out what it is!!!

Is it because it's a little confusing? Because I don't know all the answers? Am i having trouble buying the premise?

Apart from that, it's a great show, with JK more.or less carrying it. If I was to be critical, I don't feel Harry Lloyd as Quale at all. He is just not sitting with me in that role. I will keep watching as the weeks go on, but I am enjoying it overall, even if it's a little confusing.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Episode 4 is up early on Starz On Demand (as is usual with Starz shows).

I thought it was good. I was very happy to see that Emily survived, though it occurred to me that it might not even have been the hitmen's goal to kill her. They may have just wanted to make her look bad so she would get fired. Anyway, every scene between Emily and MeekHoward was fantastic. I love that he wasn't able to fool her for even a second. :D

Last edited:

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are we spoiler tagging?

Loved the revelation that our side's Emily is also a spy and that Howard has no clue about it.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally watched both episodes. I gotta admit, I liked the first one more, the world-building felt better. Although seeing all these spies dealing with the fact that they have "copies" with just slight differences is very good. The Berlin setting is fantastic.

5 months shot in Los Angeles, 2 weeks in Berlin

:D

Deleted member 59

Oooh this sounds good. Need to find a way to watch it in UK, was hoping Netflix or Amazon would have me covered.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
New episode tonight!

Shaking the Tree

Howard and Emily search for answers about a mysterious drop site. Aldrich and Quayle seek intel from an old friend.

As usual, the episode is up early on Starz On Demand. Please spoiler tag discussion until the episode has officially aired on Sunday night.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
This has really become the highlight of my TV week. It's like Fringe meets a spy-thriller and I love it.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this week's episode was probably the best one yet. Things are definitely coming into focus now.

K-Jay

Oct 27, 2017
I just found this show randomly on the break room tv just a few days ago. It's damn good!

Same here. It's an awesome show and I'm glad I found it, but I kinda wish I hadn't found it in the middle of the season but maybe closer to the end....

Netflix has turned me into a spoiled child. :(

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Binge watched the first five episodes. J.K Simmons + sci-fi +spy thriller= one of my favorite shows right now. Starz is killing it right now between Outlander and Counterpart. I should check out their other shows too if they are as good.

TraBuch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Binge watched the first five episodes. J.K Simmons + sci-fi +spy thriller= one of my favorite shows right now. Starz is killing it right now between Outlander and Counterpart. I should check out their other shows too if they are as good.
Party Down and Spartacus and Black Sails.

If anyone recommends Camelot, they're lying.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see some others watch this. I really like this spy drama, and I like the way it's shot.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the first episode off of that YT link..

Mother. Fucking. Olivia Williams.

I'm in.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit!
Viserys' wife is the mole! And she's the assassin's handler! :O

Jack Remington

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds great, but... god fucking dammit. I've been working on a book with almost this exact concept for awhile, and now I can just toss months of work in the trash. God fucking dammit. I had no idea this existed.

I'll watch this though. At least JK is in it.