• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
More_Badass

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds great, but... god fucking dammit. I've been working on a book with almost this exact concept for awhile, and now I can just toss months of work in the trash. God fucking dammit. I had no idea this existed.

I'll watch this though. At least JK is in it.
I mean, the concept of multiple realities interacting and spying on eachother isn't exactly Counterpart's original idea. Why would you need to put your book idea aside

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
This sounds great, but... god fucking dammit. I've been working on a book with almost this exact concept for awhile, and now I can just toss months of work in the trash. God fucking dammit. I had no idea this existed.

Make it so there are talking dogs in one of the realities - problem solved!

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It's not like Fringe used this concept nearly a decade ago or anything.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
It was bothering me and I had to check IMDb. I swore I knew him from somewhere and I actually thought it was someone else for a bit.
Same here. Literally did it today after six episodes. He's fucking fantastic in this. Also the end of this week's episode definitely caught me off guard. It's such a fantastic show and bravo on Starz for renewing it so early. Think they started on production for season 2 today

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone understand the mechanics of how Quayle's wife was installed? I assumed she was part of The School, but that doesn't add up unless her dad was a part of the operation, too, and I don't know why they'd need her as a mole if he was already in a high level position.
Think they started on production for season 2 today
Yup, casting for S2 and production are underway in Berlin.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone understand the mechanics of how Quayle's wife was installed? I assumed she was part of The School, but that doesn't add up unless her dad was a part of the operation, too, and I don't know why they'd need her as a mole if he was already in a high level position.
Yeah I was curious about this as well. I have to assume that she was turned as opposed to replaced.

At another point in one of the episodes a character talks about a female starting the school or running it. That doesn't leave a lot of options in less it's an unknown character. When we discover who she is I imagine it'll answer a lot of questions

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Either her dad on the other side is heavily involved, and had been spying on his counterpart thoroughly, and at some point instigated the switching of the daughters, or she was turned at some point. The possibility of the dad replacing his counterpart years ago could be real, too. The daughter had to have spent alot of time at "The School" because she was known to other kids following in her footsteps.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017

I assumed the current wife was originally from the other side, where she spent most of her early life in the School. Then at some point, she came over to our side, killed her counterpart and just took over her life, husband included. That seems to me to be the simplest explanation, and doesn't assume anyone other than the people from the School were in on it. And didn't they say in one of the earlier episodes that the people from the School were supposed to be perfect sleeper agents that can blend into our world without anyone being able to tell? (and it's not like Quayle spends any time with her anyway, so he wouldn't even notice if she was acting differently.).

Of course, that does mean the School would have to kill the daughter of a pretty important and presumably well protected person on our side without anyone noticing. But then again, the show has been portraying our side as being pretty incompetent against the School's agents.

Oct 27, 2017
I assumed the current wife was originally from the other side, where she spent most of her early life in the School. Then at some point, she came over to our side, killed her counterpart and just took over her life, husband included.

Seems more likely they would have switched, and then have her go after someone important to marry.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the S2 casting note from a couple of days ago:

'Counterpart': Betty Gabriel Joins Season 2 Cast Of Starz Series
Get Out standout Betty Gabriel has joined the Season 2 cast of Starz's spy thriller Counterpart, with production set to begin Wednesday in Berlin.

Gabriel will play the new series regular role of Naya Temple, a former FBI agent recently hired by the Office of Interchange to clean house, a figure both intimidating and magnetic.

Gabriel is best known for her portrayal of Georgina in the Oscar-nominated film Get Out. She'll next be seen in Blumhouse and Neon's thriller Upgrade opposite Logan Marshall-Green, which will premiere next month at SXSW, as well as in a recurring role on Season 2 of HBO's Westworld.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Another week, another solid episode.

Starz has a great lineup right now with this and Ash vs. Evil Dead.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
Really enjoying this show. So many great elements, casting, writing, directing, nice titles and having it set in Berlin all work so well. Good to hear there will be a season two.
About the latest ep...

one thing I don't get about the agents is when they are sent over with fake identities, aren't they expected back or do they get rather long visas? As it seems like this would be tightly controlled

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad Quayle went to Howard immediately. That's the kind of plot point a lesser show would needlessly drag out.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Aw I'm sad this thread is still only 3 pages...it's a great show!

It's because Starz is limited to basic cable. Netflix, HBO, Hulu, you can get their shows as a cord cutter. You're not watching this unless you have cable and also pay for Starz, which is going to limit its viewership.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's because Starz is limited to basic cable. Netflix, HBO, Hulu, you can get their shows as a cord cutter. You're not watching this unless you have cable and also pay for Starz, which is going to limit its viewership.

That's true, I forget that. We had gotten Starz for free for a year cause of a cable bundle we did, and I've been lazy about cancelling it lol...so I had forgotten it was a premium channel that is tied to cable :/

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It isn't tied to cable and that poster is wrong.

Thanks. Just looked it up...so you can get the app and subscribe like "hbo go", or subscribe and watch it through Amazon?

Still, I was thinking it was a bundled channel like AMC or FX, not a premium channel like hbo or showtime.

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. Just looked it up...so you can get the app and subscribe like "hbo go", or subscribe and watch it through Amazon?

Still, I was thinking it was a bundled channel like AMC or FX, not a premium channel like hbo or showtime.

Yeah it is a paid add on with Amazon video.

I think it is worth it. I pay for HBO & Starz.

Young Clare looks nothing like adult Clare lol

That was my biggest issue. Adult Claire seems Persian(?) young Claire is clearly Caucasian.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Real talk tho I don't blame Peter, I think a lot of people would react that way tbh.

VaeVictis

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Really enjoying this show. So many great elements, casting, writing, directing, nice titles and having it set in Berlin all work so well. Good to hear there will be a season two.
About the latest ep...

one thing I don't get about the agents is when they are sent over with fake identities, aren't they expected back or do they get rather long visas? As it seems like this would be tightly controlled

I have been wondering about the same thing.
The way agents can freely move around and about without any set time limits seems really lazy writing. Also, in the context of the world of the show : Why on earth do they even use the breach and not close the tunnel? They already know the "others" are over here killing our people. Just close the tunnel!

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
The way agents can freely move around and about without any set time limits seems really lazy writing. Also, in the context of the world of the show : Why on earth do they even use the breach and not close the tunnel? They already know the "others" are over here killing our people. Just close the tunnel!
The lack of alarm at missing
agents, attaches, etc
definitely seems like a hole in the plot but with regards to your curiosity over why the tunnel is still there I think they actually addressed it in an earlier episode; there's simply too much to gain by keeping it open. Technology, oil drilling sites, etc etc. I absolutely think we'd do the same thing in the real world if presented with the chance to gain knowledge as a government vs risks

This was an amazing episode and I'm so so so happy to have slow simmer spy tv show right now. When done right the Le Carre style thriller is as good as it gets.

Peter's actor has been quietly surprising me all season but he really knocked it out of the park with this episode. I really hope he continues as an integral part of the show cause I just have so much fun watching him.

As for the ending of tonight's show
I'm sure she's attached to the child but we've already seen her forgo emotional connections twice in favor of sticking to the mission. With the assassin and when she was younger in school
I definitely think that's meant to foreshadow that it's likely manipulation and not any chance of flipping

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Same here. I guess the only possible explanation would be that they've got moles among the immigration people, too?

Other than that (and, well, Claire changing ethnicity while growing up), show continues to be fantastic. Pretty remarkable they managed to do an episode with very little JK Simmons that early in the run without having it feel like a filler.