• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
I feel Pope was being used. His comment of "What if this brings us closer together" seemed to hint at his train of thought of supporting the whole thing.

Aldrich getting killed so easily did surprise me a lot. But it made sense if Quayle and Clare were going to carry on destroying this world.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why it took me until this week to put together that Aldrich was Kai Proctor on Banshee.

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This show. Not reading the thread because I just started watching this the other day. The episode about Clare(sp?) is so good it could serve as a standalone Black Mirror episode.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
A couple of articles from earlier in the week:

THR: 'Counterpart' Star J.K. Simmons on the Deadly Finale and What's Next
The scene in the finale that was so shocking is when Howard Alpha kills Alexander Pope. That's the first person he's ever killed, so that would have to have a major impact on him.

Absolutely. One of the nice things about this show is this sense of collaboration, with [creator/showrunner] Justin Marks. He had written a version that made Howard just a murderer. I thought it was important — because Howard's overall thematic arc in the first season is that he becomes Howard Prime and I was somewhat resistant to going all the way with that. Howard Prime is an ethical character in most ways. So, it was important to me that that would be a moment of a gut reaction and self-defense. Was there anger in it? Yes. But he really was kill or be killed in that moment. And maybe the Howard that we met in the first episode might not have had the cajones to come out on top in that confrontation. That was the interesting evolution of that character. I'm glad it's that shocking moment. The bad part is I seem to be done having scenes with Stephen Rea and those were fun, especially since I was a spectator half the time because Stephen was carrying most of the dialogue.
Have you been given a backstory about what got Howard Prime to this point? Will there be flashbacks in season two that show as much?

We are seeing some flashbacks and we're also investigating the past in dialogue as well in season two. But that was another thing that Justin and I spoke about the first time we met: where was this point of divergence? Is there a single thing that we can really point to as to why these guys started going in different directions? We definitely fill in some of those blanks in season two. I've only seen the first five scripts of our second season so far. The hope is we're doing this show for five, six, seven years. That said, we're not going to tie everything up in a neat little bow at the end of season two, either. There will still be things to investigate.
ArsTechnica: Here's the slick tech making Counterpart's multi-dimensional S1 possible
While the doubles/clones thing has been done quite well recently—Orphan Black, Netflix's What Happened To Monday?—that doesn't make it any less of a visual and logistical challenge for the crew.

"That was a big learning experience for all of us—how to stage those scenes, which tools do you use?" Montpellier says. "We wanted to create a seamlessly staged scene with two characters walking around each other and having natural conversation."

Doing that means placing as few restrictions on Simmons as possible so his performance, and not some technical tricks, distinguish the two Howards. Achieving that goal does require plenty of technology in practice, however.

"We ended up using a motion-control camera rig that could repeat shots to the exact frame accuracy," Montpellier says. "A lot of times, we'd approach these scenes with JK as Howard 1 and a stand-in so he could perform against someone on the other side of the frame. You'd move around the room [and] we'd follow him with the techno-dolly, this huge motion-control rig with a computerized robotic arm that can repeat the shot.

So we'd perform one side of the shot, then JK would go get changed. During that time, we'd edit his audio and put all of that together. When he'd show up a half hour later as the other Howard Silk, we'd repeat the camera move, they'd repeat the blocking, and the stand-in would take the other side. We'd repeat the shots, but it might take numerous takes because the timing might be slightly off. And before we'd leave that setup for the next scene, our VFX team is there recording everything and making rough composites on set so we could see that everything was lining up properly before breaking down. You might end up with 10 crewmembers staring at a lamp in the frame because it's a double exposure. 'Oh, is it good, or is it off?' It was very much a learning experience."

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
The hope is we're doing this show for five, six, seven years.

...huh. I figured JK wouldn't want to tie himself down to a TV show for more than 2-3 years but I guess I was wrong! (still, there's no way in hell this show is going for 6-7 seasons so I hope they have a strong contingency plan in place)

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
...huh. I figured JK wouldn't want to tie himself down to a TV show for more than 2-3 years but I guess I was wrong! (still, there's no way in hell this show is going for 6-7 seasons so I hope they have a strong contingency plan in place)
Uh, yeah, I was convinced this was a limited series and would end with season 2. That's a bit weird and probably means we'll be heading more into Lost / Fringe territory... not sure I'd like that.

Kalel114

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the show. Really, really good. Still trying to figure out why Marcel was on the kill list. Worst promotion ever. Looking forward to season 2.

eebster

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Loved the show up until the last 2-3 episode where it kind of lost me. Got way to silly

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, it's going to be hard waiting for Season 2. I need more good Howard trying to connect with his estranged parallel universe daughter.

TetraGenesis

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, just heard of this for the first time tonight when this thread popped back up and that trailer hooked me immediately. I've gotta check this out.

BigJeffery

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Just finished this and really enjoyed it. The Nadia parts were weak, but I thought everything else was great.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
Nadia Alpha was a great Violin player. I was mesmerised by her solo performance.

Both Nadias are tragic souls though. We can see their inner struggles at every turn.

phantomx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea. Bummed that he's gone, though.

Don't you remember that scene in, episode 2 I think, when Aldrich asks Prime what his Counterpart was like in the other side? And that backstory about Aldrich setting his counterpart up with a love interest whom he lost and then went kind of mad? And that "non existent" opponent he was always playing chess with in his office?

No one is gone in this show until you see both die.

Fruit&Nut

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Mar 16, 2018
Its a cool show where a lot of the intrigue is wearing off.

Part of the fun is having two different Simmons, but over time the differences are becoming smaller. Its wearing thin.

And one of the biggest problems I have with the show, what almost ruins it is, each episode is an hour long. There is no reason they should be an hour long. Most episodes have slack.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
So many shows I'm juggling, just now catching up on this and finishing the season.

Easily one of the best new shows this year, really looking forward to season 2 and will have to re-up with Starz when it drops so I can watch it week to week.

J.K. Simmons gives a hell of a performance, and should definitely get some love come Emmy time. The subtle differences he displays with both Howards, speech, posture, confidence - all go a long way to immediately being able to tell Howard Alpha and Howard Prime apart. The supporting cast as a whole is really strong with a lot of memorable performances.

Just now realizing that Quayle is Viserys from GOT after 10 episodes. He looks way different w/the hair length and color. His string of luck in the last few episodes is tremendous. Don't know why he would be messing with prostitutes when he is married to Claire. The dynamic their relationship takes towards the end of the season is great.

Pope and his dog was funny. I'm still somewhat unsure exactly what his plan was with the sleeper agents and if he expected Management to respond the way they did. How does the plan change with him out of the picture now..

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
'Counterpart': James Cromwell Set To Recur In Season 2 Of Starz Series
Emmy winner and Oscar nominee James Cromwell (American Horror Story) is set for a major recurring role opposite J.K. Simmons in Season 2 of Starz's spy thriller Counterpart.

Cromwell will play Yanek, the enigmatic warden of Echo, an underground facility where Howard (Simmons) finds himself fighting for his life.

Season 2 of the espionage spy-fi thriller is currently in production in Los Angeles and will complete production in Berlin later this year. The series hails from Marks, Gilbert Films and Anonymous Content, with MRC serving as the studio.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Love James Cromwell. Another addition to the already wildly talented cast. Can't wait for the new season.

Cornballer any word on when we can expect the second season? I'm sure it's gonna be a while but considering they'd already started filming it I hope for soonish

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen anything definitive, but I would guess early 2019. That should give them time to finish up shooting later this year and then deal with post-production. Since it was a 2-season order off the bat, I imagine they don't need as long a production schedule as some other recent shows.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Just binged and fuck me is J.K. isnt one of the best actors alive.

After whiplash and this.... DAMN

giphy.gif

Whiplash really opened my eyes to how good he was and this show cemented it.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I dismissed this show early as probably being dumb, but gave it a shot a week or so ago and now I am hooked. Only the finale remains to watch. JK Simmons is so, so good in this. And I love how the writing of the show balances the spy stuff (which I love) with the philosophical stuff (which I love).

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Starz has released the official trailer for the second season of sci-fi thriller Counterpart, and set a December premiere date for its return. Season 2 will debut day-and-date Sunday, December 9 in the U.S. and on Starzplay in the UK and Germany.

twj6H1Q.jpg

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
2 seasons in one year - that's surprising. Wonder why they didn't hold it for 2019?

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay
best new series of 2018

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Nice, didn't expect season two so soon although apparently they almost filmed them back to back?

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like Starz has a ton of shows coming next year so they have to clean their plate a bit - this just screams of "burn off". Hope I'm wrong though. It's definitely not going to last 7 seasons or whatever they were saying earlier, but I do think there's potential for a good 3-4 season run.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man I'm so excited. Was one of my favorite new shows of late. Really hope that it continues on for another season or two

Odd given it was one of my favorite new shows but I can barely remember the last episode. Guess the episode before just took up all my memory. Did they switch places?

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
2 seasons in one year - that's surprising. Wonder why they didn't hold it for 2019?
I'm a little surprised as I expected it early next year, though they did release the S1 premiere a month early last December as a preview and then held out until January to air the rest of it. Maybe they figure this will be heavily time-shifted and streamed, but this doesn't seem like a good way to build the audience at all if it gets lost in December.
Odd given it was one of my favorite new shows but I can barely remember the last episode. Guess the episode before just took up all my memory. Did they switch places?
I reread the finale summary on wikipedia and there was a bunch that I forgot about. They really mowed through a bunch of the cast and reset the table for S2.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
One of the greatest shows of the the past few years. Can't fuckin' wait. We're so lucky to get it this soon. Had no idea! I heard they had shot both seasons back to back tho, so it makes sense.

Kvik

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Downunder.
I loved the first season. Glad to see the continuation is not far away.

I'm keen to see the full transformation of Howard Alpha to exceed the resolve and cruelty of Howard Prime. Without being a retread of JK Simmons' character in Whiplash, of course.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Vid interview: Justin Marks on the upcoming season of Counterpart and the greatness of J.K. Simmons

THR S2 review
The Bottom Line: A must-see show with a few challenges moving forward.
Starz only sent three of the 10 episodes in season two for review, and while they ably continue the story and Simmons, Williams and company continue to do excellent work, those early episodes don't leap off the small screen like they did last year (which is understandable, having lost the element of uniqueness) and a proper evaluation will have to wait a little bit longer.