• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
A few more reviews:

Collider:
The first three episodes of the new 10 episode season are mostly building blocks for its twisted spy game, which makes it difficult to review. But for those who may not remember exactly how Season 1 ended (like I said, it's been a long year), the series returns with enough exposition to organically remind you of everything without feeling like a rehash. And that's important, because Counterpart is a complicated show that is poised to get even more so this time around. 4 out of 5 stars
Indiewire
In short, the plot can be a lot to track, which can overwhelm the human connection driving the story. But more often than not, Marks finds empathy and momentum at exactly the moments you might feel lost, and, aided by crisp direction from Charles Martin and Kyle Patrick Alvarez, "Counterpart" lends enough emotional oomph to its expanding story to justify further investment in a smart, promising series. Grade: B
NY Mag
I'm sure all of Counterpart's characters would immediately recognize: a deep, inexplicable longing for something that's just like this show, but also just a bit different, something more colorful and looser, a show about two different visions of a self where both of those selves were human beings with more going on than a basic survival-level sex/death impulse. I wish I could watch a Prime-world version of Counterpart. But we do not have two worlds, so instead I will keep watching the version of Counterpart we do have, and enjoy it for the good things it offers, like Simmons's performance, the moments of plot surprise, and the many, many beautiful winter coats.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in for Season 2, Season 1 was a fantastic and strange bit of television.

Oct 26, 2017
I forgot to mention that I met Guy Burnet (who plays Claude Lambert) briefly on a show I was working on in Manchester. Really nice fella.

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's already been a year? How time flies.

Cant' wait. One of the best surprise shows of 2018.

Winterblink

Oct 26, 2017
I'm so happy this show is back. Season 1 was amazing, this was one of the best shows last year that almost nobody heard about.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Interesting beginning, lot of shit going on in the last 15 seconds with IP addresses in Hong Kong and Arizona, GPS addresses from around the world, all kinds of weird unix usernames and scripts, etc.

I don't love the show as much as everyone, I feel like sometimes it wants to go hard into a spy show and sometimes it wants to go hard into a meta "how different would your life be with one small change" and doesn't quite nail either one well, but I do dig both aspects (spy and scifi) of the show and hope they can build upon it. Its not Fringe and its not The Americans and I'm not sure which way it wants to lean, season 2 seems to be much more Americans style.

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Man not only no new OT but only one post since the season two premier. I haven't gotten around to watching it yet after a busy weekend of work but I hope this thread is a little more active going forward. This show is too good to not have an audience

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Episode 2 was much stronger than the first one, which I felt was a bit too tepid for a premiere. I always enjoy seeing Emily out in the field - it might be my favorite part of the show.

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
Not feeling it at all, both episodes have bored me.

Last night's was a bit better than the premiere though.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
I like the show, but it is a slow burn. It's also a pretty ruthless show.

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Just watched all of Season 1 this weekend - generally I think the show is borderline great, but some things hold it back:

- Baldwin is basically just a much worse and less interesting Villanelle from Killing Eve, Baldwin needs better characterization

- The show feels like it would be much better if Quayle was the main character but also played by a more provocative actor

- The spy jargon is a bit much

- The episode lengths are a bit much

- A lot of the white people look similar which is confusing at first

- The show is extremely dreary sometimes and has very little levity

If all of that was fixed this would be a solid A- show I think

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I see the show is still criminally underrated.

Just watched S02E01, not bad. Looks like my theory that Management was actually an AI was wrong. :-/

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When the fuck did this show come back ?

You guys letting me down again.

Geist

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Good episode, but I kind of hate it when, in a show like this where the play-counterplay dynamic is so important to the plot, they don't even attempt to explain how everyone suddenly knows Ian's hacker friend had management's case even though both Ian and his friend were professionals and his friend knew what he had in his hands. We're just expected to think the bad guys are omniscient or something.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
This show is just amazing, shame that there are barely anyone watching. The last episode was intense.

I saw the first two episodes of season one, a few weeks ago, and just couldn't get in to it. There's something missing for me, but not sure what. Seems slow, and also reminds me of Fringe. It's probably nothing like Fringe, but maybe I'm subconsciously comparing it to that.

Is there any point in me watching the rest if I couldn't keep interest in the episodes I've seen ?

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
I saw the first two episodes of season one, a few weeks ago, and just couldn't get in to it. There's something missing for me, but not sure what. Seems slow, and also reminds me of Fringe. It's probably nothing like Fringe, but maybe I'm subconsciously comparing it to that.

Is there any point in me watching the rest if I couldn't keep interest in the episodes I've seen ?
The show is nothing like Fringe or any of these Lost-wannabe's network shows. This show is actually very well-written. The acting is also top notch across the board and not just JK.
It's definitely slower and takes time for stuff to get fleshed out. Personally it grabbed me from ep1, but I think ep2 was weak so maybe give it another chance?

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
The show is nothing like Fringe or any of these Lost-wannabe's network shows. This show is actually very well-written. The acting is also top notch across the board and not just JK.
It's definitely slower and takes time for stuff to get fleshed out. Personally it grabbed me from ep1, but I think ep2 was weak so maybe give it another chance?

Ok thanks, I'll give it another episode or two.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017

I love Fringe, this really isn't anything like it. I don't love the show like many other people do, I think its just ok. Whereas Fringe was all ABOUT the sci fi and science and madcap antics, this show is more about "What is it that makes you YOU, and what tiny changes would make you different?" and sorta has some sci fi elements to build up those ideas but doesn't really focus too much on the sci fi. In fact this entire season we have really had very little scifi involvement.

imo if you don't like the show after 3-4 episodes I'd just bail. It doesn't really change tonally, it gets a bit more action-y in the third season but its still mostly people talking a lot about feelings. Its much more a spy thriller mixed with adult drama ala The Americans than any sci fi show, it just has an interesting sci fi angle as a hook.

I caught up on season 3 and I still want to keep watching to see what happens but I wouldn't even put Counterpart (s2) in my top 10 shows of 2018, but I'm hoping the next 6 episodes change my mind for 2019. The only reason I'm still watching is because JK Simmons is fucking great.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed this one. The season is steadily improving.
I've been quite happy with the show up til now and I can't think of any weak episodes.

But then again, I love slow-burn character studies and Counterpart is the ultimate thought experiement in that regard.

The writing and performances are top notch. I could see people getting confused and bogged down by all the details, twists and identical faces but I think I'm following it just fine and I'm not particularly bothered by how slowly the broader plot is moving. That's all just a vehicle to explore the philsophical ideas.

The only reason I'm still watching is because JK Simmons is fucking great.

JK Simmons is great, but so is the whole cast.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
finally caught up
imo counterpart was the best new serial of 2018, so far season 2 it's still very strong, maaaaaaybe a bit weaker compared to s1 but it's only been 4 episodes

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Its much more a spy thriller mixed with adult drama ala The Americans than any sci fi show, it just has an interesting sci fi angle as a hook.

I loved the Americans, so if it's like that, I'll keep on with it for now.

I think I'm making the comparison to Fringe because of the alternate Earth etc, and yeah I know that's most likely the only thing they have in common, and like I said, I know I shouldn't compare them. I swear though, even a bit of the theme sounds a bit similar to Fringe, to me lol.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love Fringe, this really isn't anything like it. I don't love the show like many other people do, I think its just ok. Whereas Fringe was all ABOUT the sci fi and science and madcap antics, this show is more about "What is it that makes you YOU, and what tiny changes would make you different?" and sorta has some sci fi elements to build up those ideas but doesn't really focus too much on the sci fi. In fact this entire season we have really had very little scifi involvement.
I disagree. I think there are a lot of thematic similarities to Fringe, Season 3 specifically. They certainly touched on how and why the characters from each side differed, as well and the tension and distrust between both sides. Yes, Fringe obviously focused on the sci-fi more, but the implications of the circumstances are definitely quite alike.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Good episode, but I kind of hate it when, in a show like this where the play-counterplay dynamic is so important to the plot, they don't even attempt to explain how everyone suddenly knows Ian's hacker friend had management's case even though both Ian and his friend were professionals and his friend knew what he had in his hands. We're just expected to think the bad guys are omniscient or something.
That's an easy one. It phoned home when he opened it. You even heard it beep directly when it opened. Something that important def. has a tracking device. It probably got his fingerprint too.

I didn't even question it; management has been a step ahead and completely not forthcoming. Everyone is a pawn.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Been wanting to watch this show since it premiered back in 2017, and finally my family decided to sign up for Starz. Halfway through season 1 in a single day and this series is great.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Tonight's episode is my favorite of the series I think. It's an incredible hour, really glad they did this to establish the rest of the season.

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
This episode was so cool. I really loved seeing how the crossing came to be. Excited to see where they go with the rest of the season.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah really incredible episode especially considering zero seconds of JK Simmons in it. I am totally confused though as to who is who and which side they are from, the subtitles of "Prime" and "Alpha" don't help at all lol. Its also a bit deflating to see the truth behind the origins and who is running everything, I kinda had weird ideas in my head about a third reality, aliens, etc but its still a great setup.

It was intriguing when the credits played at the start it listed a TON of twins, I assume all the leaders are played by twins IRL. That must have been a wild casting session. I hope the twins who played the security guards in Terminator 2 make it in!

They should totally get a quadruple group in and have TWO sets of twins interact

cirr

Oct 26, 2017
Northern VA
This show is so damn good, I don't care about the plot holes or inconsistencies that others may pick up on. Really hope we get a third season. Ep 206 was amazing and answered a bunch of Q's that I had; young Yanek casting was perfect.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Just re-subscribed to Starz and I am now fully caught up with the show. Watched 7 episodes over a couple of days, it didn't take much for me to get sucked back into the dual world spy intrigue. I'm a sucker for spy stuff and sci-fi so this show is really up my alley.

I agree seeing the origin of the Crossing was really great and how the two sides became broken. Young Yanek messing it up for everybody, although from his viewpoint it was inevitable and he just committed the first sin. Also cool seeing dude from Humans show up as part of Management.

I've also been enjoying the dual work of Peter/Emily this season, which I think both actors have done a really good job in displaying the differences.

You can always tell Howard Prime by his strut, the way he walks with confidence.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the first season -- probably my favorite (new) show of 2018 -- but wasn't really on-board with the beginning of season 2; keeping the two Howards apart from each other felt like an especially weird / bad decision.

Two Cities was fantastic though and a somewhat surprising move. The way season 1 ended, I was a little afraid they might continue to stray into Fringe / Lost territory but they've explained pretty much everything with that episode.

Which kinda begs the question: Is the show ending after this season? Feels like all storylines are coming to a close right now.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Which kinda begs the question: Is the show ending after this season? Feels like all storylines are coming to a close right now.

They keep saying that they want it to go for 5-7 seasons, but it does kinda seem like most of the story threads are coming to a close this season. Perhaps all the threads from the first two seasons will be wrapped by the end of this season and season 3 will mostly focus on new developments and situations?