• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They keep saying that they want it to go for 5-7 seasons, but it does kinda seem like most of the story threads are coming to a close this season. Perhaps all the threads from the first two seasons will be wrapped by the end of this season and season 3 will mostly focus on new developments and situations?
Who knows, maybe they try to close things and open up more multi-verses?

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
They keep saying that they want it to go for 5-7 seasons, but it does kinda seem like most of the story threads are coming to a close this season. Perhaps all the threads from the first two seasons will be wrapped by the end of this season and season 3 will mostly focus on new developments and situations?
I definitely have faith in the writers to deliver us some new plotlines to follow.

I also wanted to echo the sentiment about last week's episode. Probably the best episode of the series for me

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
No audience and no buzz, I'd say the writers should plan for season 3 to be the final one if they're lucky enough that the show is renewed.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Okay really love season 1 but I'm not feeling season 2 at all I'm in the middle of episode 5 in just about to give up.

Does not seem that this show could hold the intrigue with the Simmons roles the way they did in season 1. this is much more contrived and segmented and not nearly as engrossing, so far.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking people have no taste when this and Mr. Robot only get 3 or 4 seasons.
Eh, I'd rather they wrap it up neatly after season 2 than drag it out forever. At the moment, I don't really see what the show even would be about in season 3 unless they somehow introduce a whole new set of characters -- but how, where, and why? The way the mystery was explained, I can't imagine any vast additions to the cast or lore making sense. Then again, there is that 5-7 seasons talk, so what do I know.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
No audience and no buzz, I'd say the writers should plan for season 3 to be the final one if they're lucky enough that the show is renewed.

When they first announced the show, I assumed it was a two-season-and-done type of deal, what with JK Simmons starring and all. It's a bit early with 3 episodes to go, but I can imagine a future where I'm not at all bothered if the show is cancelled at the end of the season.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
fuuuuck that was a great episode! The dynamics between both sets of Howard and Emily is just fantastic.

I did not expect Howard-Prime and Emily to fall apart so quickly after coming together, by the way. I saw them falling deeper in love and then maybe Emily finding out a season or two down the line. That was fast...

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
fuuuuck that was a great episode! The dynamics between both sets of Howard and Emily is just fantastic.

I did not expect Howard-Prime and Emily to fall apart so quickly after coming together, by the way. I saw them falling deeper in love and then maybe Emily finding out a season or two down the line. That was fast...

Once Indigo broke in and he had to put in work, I knew she would put the pieces together. The timing couldn't have been worse because I got the implication
they had just slept together

Have to salute Olivia Williams, she's really been killing it this season with the dual roles. Emily Alpha couldn't resist the Yanek temptation either.

Claire was really good tonight as well. 2 marriages intertwined with so many lies and secrets.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Once Indigo broke in and he had to put in work, I knew she would put the pieces together. The timing couldn't have been worse because I got the implication
they had just slept together

For sure. I wanted their happiness to last a while longer :(

Have to salute Olivia Williams, she's really been killing it this season with the dual roles. Emily Alpha couldn't resist the Yanek temptation either.

Claire was really good tonight as well. 2 marriages intertwined with so many lies and secrets.

I've never understood why critics always hang so much on JK Simmon's performance when the entire cast is fantastic.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
For sure. I wanted their happiness to last a while longer :(

I've never understood why critics always hang so much on JK Simmon's performance when the entire cast is fantastic.

Yeah, the show really does have a tremendous cast. Baldwin was great last season as well, although she hasn't had much to do this season.

I've enjoyed Naya as well.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I don't know anyone who watches this. I stopped at the end of S1. I was already unimpressed with the slow pacing and the drab gray look of it, also that it didn't have the sci-fi elements I was hoping for when it was first announced. I stayed for JK Simmons though. Until the end of S1 when they stupidly went after the spy without telling anyone, in an office seemingly focused on bureaucracy, thus leaving the spy perfectly positioned. It was such lazy writing.

Oct 28, 2017
This is one of the best shows on television. Last nights episode was so riveting. This is some of the best acting on television. There really isn't a weak spot at all. I really hope this gets a third season as it has been the highlight of my week each time I sit down to watch it.

It reminds me of Fringe meets The Americans. For a show with such a strong sci-fi premise it feels nothing like science-fiction. I think that really speaks to the actors and creators of the show.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
One of the TV podcasts mentioned that someone ran into Olivia Williams (Emily) in London theater area and when he said he loved her in Counterpart she thanked him but said it was sad that the show was cancelled. I can see that, sadly the ratings are in the toilet and mostly because I think the only way to see the show is to subscribe to Starz which is a tough sell in todays streaming world.

Lesson I guess for "big enough" TV shows, don't go on Starz, Showtime, etc because people are starting to get more and more picky about what services they keep and if your show isn't super accessible on Netflix, Amazon, and maybe Hulu then they simply aren't gonna watch. If this show had been on HBO or Netflix I think it would have curated a much, much larger audience.

I hope at least Counterpart season 2 gets a good season and possibly series finale and doesn't end on a cliff hanger. There are two episodes left, episode 9 tomorrow and episode 10 next sunday. The last two episodes have been fantastic.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
One of the TV podcasts mentioned that someone ran into Olivia Williams (Emily) in London theater area and when he said he loved her in Counterpart she thanked him but said it was sad that the show was cancelled. I can see that, sadly the ratings are in the toilet and mostly because I think the only way to see the show is to subscribe to Starz which is a tough sell in todays streaming world.

I heard that too on TV Talk :(

Hopefully something happens to extend the life of the show.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
One of the TV podcasts mentioned that someone ran into Olivia Williams (Emily) in London theater area and when he said he loved her in Counterpart she thanked him but said it was sad that the show was cancelled.

That's a shame, but not surprising in the least. Here's hoping the writers had the forethought to make the ending of season two conclusive.

I can see that, sadly the ratings are in the toilet and mostly because I think the only way to see the show is to subscribe to Starz which is a tough sell in todays streaming world.

Starz is actually very successful - #2 in the premium world (behind HBO). They have some of the biggest shows in all of cable (Power, Outlander), so the platform isn't the problem. Counterpart is just a niche show that failed to find an audience, which is something that happens on every channel and platform.

Lesson I guess for "big enough" TV shows, don't go on Starz, Showtime, etc

That's not how it works. TV creators generally don't have the luxury of deciding which channel their shows will air on - sometimes shows are developed with a specific channel in mind, but usually a studio will shop their show around to see which channels are interested. Then the channel with the highest bid will get it.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand, I'm sad it's (probably) ending, on the other, I never would have expected much more than two seasons had it not been for that 5-7 years talk. And, yeah, it definitely felt like they approached this season with the thought of it potentially being the last in mind so fingers crossed for a decent finale.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of the first episode, which I thought was too slow for a premiere, this season has been great. The back half especially (and tonight's episode was no exception). Here's hoping it ends strong next week!

The scene with the two Emilys was worth the wait. Olivia Williams is so good in this.

Also holy shit Management is all dead. This certainly feels like "end of series" level stuff...

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
It's an incredibly good show.

I'm assuming that this will be the last season? Everything seems to be wrapping up, one way or the other.

TheNatureBoy

Nov 4, 2017
Outside of the first episode, which I thought was too slow for a premiere, this season has been great. The back half especially (and tonight's episode was no exception). Here's hoping it ends strong next week!

The scene with the two Emilys was worth the wait. Olivia Williams is so good in this.

Also holy shit Management is all dead. This certainly feels like "end of series" level stuff...

Agreed. All the pieces are certainly in place.

I am certainly curious how things will shape up in the finale and how the show-runners would/will proceed going forward.

Mira reminded me of Olivia from 12 Monkeys in this episode, just that cool, calculating demeanor of being one step ahead.

"Love betrays us all" - nice bit of foreshadowing.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
'Counterpart' Not Getting Third Season On Starz, Shopped To Other Nets By MRC
Starz has opted not to renew J.K. Simmons-starring drama Counterpart for a third season. The Feb. 17 Season 2 finale of the sci-fi espionage thriller, from creator/executive producer Justin Marks and executive producer Jordan Horowitz, will be its series finale on Starz. Counterpart producer MRC is currently shopping the show to streaming platforms.

"Justin, Jordan, J.K. and the entire cast and crew delivered a beautifully executed series," Carmi Zlotnik, President of Programming at Starz, said in a statement to Deadline. "It was a pleasure working with this team on two seasons of expert storytelling brought to life by best-in-class performances across the board."

I hear Starz made its decision not to proceed with the series beyond its original two-season order in late December/early January. The cast extended their options until Feb.1 to give MRC, which is said to believe strongly in the show, time to find a new home. The actors' options have now expired, and they are free to get new series jobs, though I hear MRC is still pitching the series to potential buyers in the streaming space.

Marks just confirmed the series' status on Twitter.

"Hey #counterpart fans, a bit of sad news… Starz has decided not to pick up our show for a 3rd season. It's been an absolute dream for this team… we got to make EXACTLY the show we wanted to… perfect cast, perfect crew on 2 continents… and we're so grateful to our network for the time we had…"

Continued Marks, "Thank you to everyone who made this journey so special for us. Your tweets, podcasts, and intricate conspiracy theories have made it all worthwhile. Fingers crossed that our wonderful studio, MRC, can find a way to keep the dream alive! But in the meantime, one more episode until the end of a chapter. See you Sunday!"

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's disappointing but understandable when this show was set to succeed, or at least do moderately well, and just failed to find an audience. Solid reviews upfront, buzz from concept & the actors signed on, pretty good placement on a popular cable network, and it all just kinda fizzled out. Hopefully Simmons ends up doing more TV, it's been delightful seeing him get the lead and do more than chew 10-15 minutes of a movie.

...maybe I should start season 2 now, huh.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I could see Amazon being the major contender for picking it up.

But part of me feels like this might be it. I'm excited for the finale!

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. I've been pushing this show hard for over a year now. I hope someone picks it up but it's been a enjoyable ride either way. One of my favorite new shows in the last couple of years

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
I don't know I love season 1 and now I've pushed through to episode eight slowly but surely and it just seems to be getting worse and worse.

it's a slog at the moment we'll see how it ends up

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
It'll get picked up again. I'm sure of it. Show definitely has a cult following.

kevin1025

Oct 25, 2017
The good news about the finale is it's pretty definitive if it's a series finale. There is a thread which would make for a continuation, but the finale as is would be a great end.

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
That is a small relief.

Still...there are countless dramas and comedies, but quality action shows are practically non-existent (relatively), so a loss of even one hurts.

True.

I don't remember if you're aware or not, but Cinemax has a new action series coming in April called 'Warrior' - it originated as a concept by Bruce Lee and is being showrun by Jonathan Tropper (creator of Banshee), so that's certainly something to look forward to!

Decado

Dec 7, 2017
Yes, I remember from a while back and have seen the trailer. Hoping it delivers!

Would love to see cinimax get their groove back like when they were airing Strike Back (the good version) and Banshee.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
Was not impressed with season 2 but was kind of bummed when the story just ended where did.

would be happy for a couple more episodes , oh well

RatskyWatsky

Oct 25, 2017
That was a very good, if tad predictable, finale. Thank goodness the writers payed attention to the writing on the wall and were smart enough to close out almost all of the story threads - aside from
the ending where James Cromwell looses the flu upon the world that is...
>:]

Still, I'm satisfied with that as a series finale. Of course they could easily continue and I'm sure that third season would be fascinating, but c'est la vie~

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine either way. It could easily wrap it up, but I will definitely watch if it gets picked up by someone else.