• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It definitely appeared that they were specifically targeting people.
My only guess is that they weren't targeting people so much as positions. Maybe they were killing off so many key people that the entire system would be weakened, or that they could attempt to fill these positions with random spies from their side, and that there's just so many spaces to fill that its impossible to vet everyone.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
I thought the same thing, though that would've been more easily accomplished coming from their own side, I think? I'm not quite sure what their goal was? They definitely left Quayle's dad alive purposely, and weren't killing everyone equally.
thats not quales dad, that's the (real) wife's dad. Quales father-in-law

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope the finale is something because that terrorist "plan" was the worst terrorist plot I have ever seen in a movie or TV. Scooby Doo villains had better plans. Yes, I understand the implications but its really hard to take it that serious when the simple solution to any big problem is: "lets just wall up the passage"

I really liked the first 4-5 episodes but the last 2-3 have been just spinning in circles, its gone from an interesting sci fi setup to a show that sort of wants to be a drama but isn't very good at it, and doesn't really think through the sci fi elements much either. At this point I'm just watching good actors acting with each other but not much material.

Last edited:

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm bummed about the wait. That's an odd scheduling choice unless I'm missing something.

There's lots to resolve in the second part of the finale. The attack plan certainly took out large swathes of the intelligence office, but the deliberate move to get back to the border along with sparing Clare's dad has me scratching my head. Was the office massacre only a secondary goal concealing something bigger?

Sounds like Clare survived the crash and presumably Peter did, as well.

PreeminentDB

Oct 25, 2017
The three spies weren't shooting randomly, the redhead walked right by a full conference table to pick off one guy who got up and started to run.
I'm not sure it's been explicitly stated in this thread, but I truly expected a retaliatory virus attack from the infiltration.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
The three spies weren't shooting randomly, the redhead walked right by a full conference table to pick off one guy who got up and started to run.
I'm not sure it's been explicitly stated in this thread, but I truly expected a retaliatory virus attack from the infiltration.

I assume the plan is
Make it look like an all out attack from "the other side", having at least one guy try to return makes it look like a sanctioned attack. That would trigger either the passage way being shut down or some sort of retaliation.

I think thats a terrible plan so I'm hoping there is more to it, like Cornballer said maybe a ruse to hide a secondary attack but the problem as the viewer is we've only been shown: 3 people slipped over to replace their doubles, ALL of whom worked in the office which is a bit insane. It would kind of suck if it turns out there was another plot that we never saw a single hint about. The assassin also mentions only 4 targets, the 3 doubles plus Howard's wife.

The line "we can't touch him, he's in no mans land" was also really weird. I 100% expected him to to detonate a suicide vest down there.

Juan29.Zapata

Oct 25, 2017
Colombia
I'm pretty sure that the doors will have to be closed regardless. The entire immigration department got wiped.

Also, they were pretty incompetent at shooting, geez.

Link

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm bummed about the wait. That's an odd scheduling choice unless I'm missing something.

There's lots to resolve in the second part of the finale. The attack plan certainly took out large swathes of the intelligence office, but the deliberate move to get back to the border along with sparing Clare's dad has me scratching my head. Was the office massacre only a secondary goal concealing something bigger?

Sounds like Clare survived the crash and presumably Peter did, as well.
It could be as simple as Claire becoming attached to her "father" since she lost her parents on the other side. Maybe she gave instructions to not kill him since it wouldn't make much difference to the overall plan.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I assume the plan is
Make it look like an all out attack from "the other side", having at least one guy try to return makes it look like a sanctioned attack. That would trigger either the passage way being shut down or some sort of retaliation.

I think thats a terrible plan so I'm hoping there is more to it

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ragnarsson

Oct 27, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
This show looks damn interesting and some of the reactions here in the thread really intrigue me. I think I'm gonna give it a go. See you guys in a couple of days (hopefully)!

Ragnarsson

Oct 27, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
I'm 4 episodes in and so far I'm thoroughly enjoying it. To be honest, I didn't know what quite to expect, but I'm in love with the tone and atmosphere of the show - there's a pervasive feeling of confusion, of powerlessness, you don't know everything that's going on, the more you know the more questions you have. Usually these shows are stressful because you roughly know what's at stake (there's a bomb, there's a terrorist plot that involves this or that faction...), but in this one the main characters are pretty much out of the loop and they're trying to figure out what the hell is going on - which is even more stressful. I also love the way this show shows you little pieces of the larger puzzle - "our" Howard and his slow ascent up the chain, letting us in on their work; the movie scene; the embassy; the diplomatic negotiation. It's all very well done, they are nailing the exposition moments.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently 7 episodes behind, but I could catch up. The show is on break isn't it? Until when?

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The real beginning?! Waaat. It's been feeling quite Cold War-espionage-y to me!
I mean yeah, you'd have to be either really dense or really ignorant to miss the almost sledgehammer like subtlety of the show to this point.

Then again, I was at the store getting a few things earlier and the "can't sell cigs by x date" sign said fucking March of 2000....both making me feel old then and making me realize now that there's a whole load of people that have absolutely zero institutional, cultural, or historical memory of the cold war.

So yeah, I can give the show runners--and The Americans too while we're at it--some props for reminding people who can fucking /vote/ at this point in time of the horrors of that period in history.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
Saw it on the DVR
really keeping it very vague, all around. They built up to something potentially good, and then the 2nd part is basically: wait for next season

Poor bastard, Original Howard.

Quales is still weak.

Best part was the introduction to "management".

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
finally finished

i knew the finale will end with that scene, it was quite obvious it was building up for that

really good show, i hope this blows up and more people watches it

TripOpt55

Oct 25, 2017
Watched the finale last night right at midnight. Couldn't wait to check it out. This has been such an awesome first season. Sure to rank among my top shows at the end of the year. Other than The Good Place, it has been my favorite of 2018 so far.

Sloane

Oct 25, 2017
Loved the first season overall, even though the finale fell a bit flat for me after last week's episode -- very vague and very little movement / resolution. I hope they have a decent idea where they are going with this instead of starting to pile mystery onto mystery. Management felt a little bit too Lost-y for me.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah Management was very much in Lost territory for me, they better be giant fucking squids or something to justify this ridiculous setup.

I enjoyed the show and it was a pleasure to watch the actors but it felt like a 10 episode season that could have easily told the same story in 4-5 episodes. A little annoyed at how many times this episode people just wander in and out of places that should have much better protection.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
It was a solid finale but I think it was hurt somewhat by the fact that Starz delayed it by a week. As a result, I had some trouble remembering what happened in the last episode.

The Hobo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm expecting the revelation that there is no management alpha or management prime, just one management, influencing events on both side.

Cornballer

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
THR: A Deep Dive Into the Season Finale With Creator Justin Marks
Let's talk about what is probably the most unusual conference call in the history of TV between the two worlds.The very unusual tech involved is virtually identical. Are the members of management on both worlds the same people?

That is something that is potentially being suggested. The answer is a lot more complex and it's an answer that our second season really wraps its arms around: Who is management? What is their history? What is the history of the crossing and the history of the Office of Interchange? How did it really form in the first place and why? And how it developed over the decades. We understand why Indigo is driven toward some sense of revenge against our world. What we haven't yet seen a lot of is how Indigo also came about and what its connection with management is. At the end of the first season, we wanted to introduce the idea of management in a way that wasn't what we would otherwise expect because in the second season management is a kind of character of their own.
More via the link.

NYT: Justin Marks on the 'Counterpart' Finale, and Why Unsexy Is the New Sexy
This is a show which would benefit from freeze-framing, especially when it comes to the Crossing. Or even with the zany Management set-up in the finale.

I really hope people do freeze-frame. I want to invite people to watch it on that level of detail. I wanted the show to feel like a Robert Altman version of science fiction more than Fritz Lang. Altman left all these windows open where you could see Lyle Lovett wandering around in the bushes back there, and you're like, "What is he doing and why is he doing that?" It feels like the frame is alive more than just its four borders. One of my favorite things to look at in freeze-frame are all the Interface documents, all that code. That's the kind of stuff we really live for, because the weirder, the more out there, the more zany the concept is, the more rigid the execution has to be.

For the Crossing, everyone wanted to turn the lights up and let it be seen. I said, "No, let's pull out all of these lights, and make it really dark, and leave people craving more detail." If you freeze-frame it, look at the dead center of the Crossing the details on the walls speak to the origins of the Crossing. Management, we had so much fun with that. We found the two strangest, most brilliant actors to play the respective Operators on either side in the finale. What kind of governing body protects the Crossing between two parallel worlds? The second season focuses in large part on the history and origins of Management.
More via the link.

Sepinwall's review

dead souls

Oct 25, 2017
^^^^ True. It's a struggle to get through all the stuff I watch in any given week, having time to re-watch stuff is a pipe dream.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
So do we think that the Indigo plan was to instigate war between the two sides due to committing a terrorist attack on our side and then retreating back to the other?

I feel like that theory works up until you raise the issue of them specifically killing certain people in the office and leaving others alive. It might just be that they're protecting Claire and her position by leaving the Diplomat alive, as Quail would be less useful without his father-in-law, but I feel like there's something more at play there.

I'm also really surprised they offed Alexander Pope. And so unceremoniously too!