• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fitzgerald

Feb 23, 2018
I visited Amsterdam and you get bored quick. It's a really small city compared to Paris
We're talking about countries here. Amsterdam is part of the Randstad which spans multiple cities (Amsterdam, The Hague, Rotterdam, Utrecht, Leiden, Haarlem to name a few) which has a total of 8,2 million inhabitants. You can reach all of those cities from Amsterdam within an hour.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I find all those countries boring as hell tho.

Oh and Portugal above Spain?

lol who made this list?

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
I don't want to sound pity or nationalist but why is the country with the "best quality of life" (10 years in a row) city (Vienna) not on that list?
I mean, who the hell made that list?

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
These things are really dumb. No one in their right mind would want to live in China over Belgium, Italy, Luxembourg, Spain, Ireland, or South Korea yet it's somehow a "better country" than those 6.
I'm shocked how Portugal is above China and those European countries.

And i say this as i'm a portuguese and yes out country is pretty and safe and good weather but for quality of life and the salaries we receive those other countries have a lot better life than we. I have to live with 500€/554$ each month which is tough.

lol who made this list?

I'm a portuguese and even i am shocked with that. xD
A lof of us went to Spain, Belgium and Luxembourg to get better jobs and life.

Micael

Oct 28, 2017

And i say this as i'm a portuguese and yes out country is pretty and safe and good weather but for quality of life and the salaries we receive those other countries have a lot better life than we. I have to live with 500€/554$ each month which is tough.

Do you really wonder how Portugal is above China? Because really the shocking thing is China being so ahead, yes China as a country has a lot of economical might, that doesn't exactly translate to the Chinese population living well, I mean when was the last time you heard of concentration camps still existing in Portugal, Portuguese companies installing nets to stop employees from killing themselves and so on.
Now don't take this the wrong way as Portuguese I get that your economical situation is extremely hard since you are living at below minimum wage, a wage which IMO is already stupidly low, but you can still do things like protest without ending up imprisoned and an involuntary organ donor.

lol who made this list?

Would argue having Spain below China is a much much bigger issue, but yeah It gets better when you look at the individual stats, Portugal gets 2.1 out of 10 in being progressive, despite having some of the more progressive laws around, while China gets 8.3 out of 10, I guess they are progressing along really well with putting Uyghurs in concentration camps, then Portugal gets 2.6 in cares about the environment despite being one of the few countries that is consistently ahead of other countries in this regard http://www.caneurope.org/docman/cli...-and-progress-in-fighting-climate-change/file

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
And also the algorithms used to produce these lists are completely subjective in terms of what factors they use, how they score on those factors and how the factors are weighted.

Algorithm or not, the top 3 sure aren't wrong. The only debate to be had is relative to their ranking in regards to immigration and the refugee stance—which Canada still wins on.

Malovis

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine that if you are in a position for lawful immigration, which usually requires an above average job, this ranking would look very different for you. This ranking seems more like a "best places to be if you have low income and plan to stay there", at least for some of these countries.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Algorithm or not, the top 3 sure aren't wrong. The only debate to be had is relative to their ranking in regards to immigration and the refugee stance—which Canada still wins on.

Not that I'm saying I disagree necessarily, personally but it's really nothing more than an opinion. Or at least an aggregation of many opinions.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
I don't get it. I go to the website and the list of best overall countries is not that.

EDIT: Oh, that's the "Quality of Life" rank not the overall Best rating.

Rasec

Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
Do you really wonder how Portugal is above China? Because really the shocking thing is China being so ahead, yes China as a country has a lot of economical might, that doesn't exactly translate to the Chinese population living well, I mean when was the last time you heard of concentration camps still existing in Portugal, Portuguese companies installing nets to stop employees from killing themselves and so on.
Now don't take this the wrong way as Portuguese I get that your economical situation is extremely hard since you are living at below minimum wage, a wage which IMO is already stupidly low, but you can still do things like protest without ending up imprisoned and an involuntary organ donor.

Would argue having Spain below China is a much much bigger issue, but yeah It gets better when you look at the individual stats, Portugal gets 2.1 out of 10 in being progressive, despite having some of the more progressive laws around, while China gets 8.3 out of 10, I guess they are progressing along really well with putting Uyghurs in concentration camps, then Portugal gets 2.6 in cares about the environment despite being one of the few countries that is consistently ahead of other countries in this regard http://www.caneurope.org/docman/cli...-and-progress-in-fighting-climate-change/file

Yup. you're right about China. The other European countries is what shocked me more at being below us.
In a lot of stuff we are actually pretty progressive like you said.
The ratings on this are pretty weird since like you said we in environment are actually good and really weird to see us behind of other countries that don't do half we do in this department.

But i guess this studies and result tables should be always seen with some doubt since we don't know the full rules and documents they used to create this rank.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah but a beer is like £9 in Sweden

Only because the pound is comically weak.

It was very expensive though. Alcohol prices were ridiculous (about £15 for a cocktail or £10 for a glass of wine) and restaurant prices weren't much better. You'd struggle to find a decent main course alone for less than £15-20 even in the cheaper places.

It really depends on where you go. I'm guessing you ended up going to tourist traps and posher places. Looking at the website fore the place I went to a lot beside my last job, a standard bar on Södermalm, an ESB was 74 SEK (6.30 GBP) and a glass of house red was 79 SEK (6.73 GBP) with an even cheaper "bar wine" at 69 SEK (5.88 GBP).

And your price thing for food is ridiculous. I rarely pay more than about 200 SEK for a dish, which is 17 quid. I doubt you even went to a "cheaper place".

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond

It's basically the problem of taking a bunch of subjective concepts and attempting to turn them into objective numbers - you get wonky results. Case in point: Korea only got a 1.8 for food. This number is ridiculous as Korea is well known as for a well-developed food culture. Japan - the country that invented fucking sushi only got a 5.3.... The whole thing is non-nonsensical and probably just reflect the biases of whomever put it together.