• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Well it actually is their responsibility. Most jurisdictions require you to make a reasonable effort to find the owner of mislaid property.
In this case there is no question to whom the property belonged to from the get go.

I stand corrected and then even better. This whole notion that these people did nothing wrong is just simply ridiculous.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is the sentiment I'm seeing in this thread, yes.

Like if I make a dumb mistake that costs me a large sum of money, will you see the law racing to have me reimbursed? No, but when a bank makes a $120k mistake, oh no! Won't somebody think of the poor, poor, bank! Sure these people are morons, but they're only morons for not knowing how badly the entire legal system is rigged against them in favor of the banks and the rich and powerful.

Imagine if the law would say "hey, you are a fucking bank. Try not to make 120,000 dollar mistakes."

You either have these restrictions requiring banks keep track of money and do their upmost to keep financial transactions accurate, which yes, means getting it back in the case of errors, or you effectively legalise massive money laundering schemes. You can't just have banks be able to deposit huge amounts in random accounts and laugh it off.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Like if I make a dumb mistake that costs me a large sum of money, will you see the law racing to have me reimbursed? No, but when a bank makes a $120k mistake, oh no! Won't somebody think of the poor, poor, bank! Sure these people are morons, but they're only morons for not knowing how badly the entire legal system is rigged against them in favor of the banks and the rich and powerful.

Imagine if the law would say "hey, you are a fucking bank. Try not to make 120,000 dollar mistakes."

What if the mistake was made by someone transferring money and getting the account number incorrectly? This is what could have happened here.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
What if the mistake was made by someone transferring money and getting the account number incorrectly? This is what could have happened here.
That's pretty much what happened. The bank didn't make the mistake. An employee did. If you absolve the employee and automatically blame the bank, then employees everywhere should start making "mistakes" with their friends and family since people will just want to hold the bank itself responsible.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I wouldn't personally spend it but fuck the bank lol

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
felony charges are the sticker for me do they have to give them a criminal record in addition to probably bankrupting them in civil court?

But yes spending the money like they did was the dumbest thing they could do and the bank has every right to ask for it back.

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017
You either have these restrictions requiring banks keep track of money and do their upmost to keep financial transactions accurate, which yes, means getting it back in the case of errors, or you effectively legalise massive money laundering schemes. You can't just have banks be able to deposit huge amounts in random accounts and laugh it off.
That's pretty much what happened. The bank didn't make the mistake. An employee did. If you absolve the employee and automatically blame the bank, then employees everywhere should start making "mistakes" with their friends and family since people will just want to hold the bank itself responsible.
Well, yeah, fair points here. I guess it's just my immediate reaction to say these people are stupid, but fuck the banks.

NinjaBoiX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You know what? It's the bank's fault. They should be able to keep it.
You've just finished a meal out, you leave a tip. But instead of leaving a £20 as intended you accidentally leave £200.

You head back in and explain the mistake to the manager, you think he should be able to turn round and say "tough shit, your mistake, bye"?

You people are crazy...

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017

The couple here didn't make a mistake. They took someone else's money and ran. The bank merely gave them the opportunity through their error. The couple was contacted by the bank and had full understanding that the funds weren't theirs. So I'm struggling to understand why the theives are the sympathetic party here.

Like, if a valet at a fancy hotel returned your car to someone else by accident and they decide to just keep it then how would that be any different? That's not a "fuck fancy hotels" moment.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
If the reverse was true and the bank debited them 120k they would be asking for it back plus damages and it will be all over the media with their crying faces about being bankrupted etc.

So yeah the bank error is not their money .
They were just paying it forward from their own government bail out...

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm genuinely nonplussed at people defending the absolutely, absurdly stupid decision to spend money that wasn't theirs. If I left my wallet at an Applebee's and some fuck took it and went on a shopping spree with my debit card, it would be fucking illegal and stupid. This is the same fucking thing. They got access to funds that they knew weren't theirs and their first instinct was to go buy a bunch of stupid shit with it rather than to call the bank or literally any authority whatsoever to determine if they should, you know, return the misplaced property.
I agree with you. Some people here have such an anti-corporate stance no matter what that they reach so far around and up into their own assholes with backward logic and absolutely irresponsible justification.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
It's initially the Bank's fault. But it's no free money. This couple should've investigated it. Because now it's their fault.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
Something like this happened to my older brother when he was still in high school. It was only $750 though. He bought a 3DO and the bank never contacted him about it.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Man, some in this thread who are OK with this have no moral compass- go fuck yourselves! I bet you're the type of person who finds a wallet loaded with cash and the persons ID and has fun with it instead of bringing it to the police or trying to contact said person.

Seriously, stop wasting oxygen.

PS- as someone who lost their wallet.

while I agree with the sentiment, spending someone's cash in a personal wallet is muchhhhh different than worrying about money from a fucking bank, lol

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
A few years back I kept getting random deposits of £50-70 into my bank every few months. After a few years the bank called as they had been deposited in error and only asked for the last deposit back. That paid for some nice nights out lmao. Probably got £500 for free over those years.

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A few years back I kept getting random deposits of £50-70 into my bank every few months. After a few years the bank called as they had been deposited in error and only asked for the last deposit back. That paid for some nice nights out lmao. Probably got £500 for free over those years.
Happened to me like 10 years ago, I got like 20€ in my account every month with a weird name attached to it, never paid much attention as that wasn't much money, and one day it stopped. Just weird.

Amakusa

Nov 2, 2017
I just checked how it works in Germany and three things are interesting:

1.) You don't have to report that money to your bank, authorities, well, anyone.
2.) You can keep all the interest generated by that money.
3.) When the money isn't claimed within three years, it's yours.

Kastenessen

Nov 2, 2017
I've been dealing with this kind of issue at work (government grants). We rolled out a new financial system and ended up with $600k in double payments thanks to a number of issues. It took around six weeks after noticing the issue to start trying to recover the funds as for whatever reason the Accounts Receivable functionality hadn't been deployed yet.

There was one seniors organisation whose bank details had overwritten another seniors group in the migration and then denied all knowledge of receiving an extra $2,000, going so far as to claim that they didn't believe we were from the government when we called.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, fuck the banks and all, but you have to be a goddamn moron to find that kind of money in your account, spend the hell out of it, then think you'll get by with just ghosting the bank after they contact you about it.

Ambient80

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus Christ, they must have gotten their "poor legal advice" from some of y'all. "ThEy ShOuLd Be AbLe To KeEp It!!!" Good lord....

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
can you really be charged with theft and a felony when the bank dropped it in your account without any involvement from you?

yes you return it since it's an error, but a felony? so Bank of America can deposit 5$ in my checking and charge me for a felony?
Theft by finding covers it.

Spending money that isn't yours is still theft. Especially as the article clearly stated they contacted their bank to offer payment plan then tried to ignore it.

This was spent in obvious knowledge they had money that wasn't theirs, it's theft.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
To me the difference is stealing an actual human's hard earned money versus using money that a bank can recoup at will. What they did is wrong, I just don't think they should have their life ruined over this.
They could've avoided legal action by not spending the money, contacting the bank and actually asking where the money came from.

They didn't, they saw it as free money and spent it. That's theft. Banks don't magic up money* and that money came from someone in order to pay it.

The bank can't recoup the money other than from where it went to in error. The fact is that money is now a loss to the bank. That's not insignificant.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
This. Banks have done way worse than walk away with $120,000 because of someone else's mistake. Wells Fargo can create millions of fraudulent accounts and stay in business, but they'll gladly ruin your life for something like this.
Apart from the $185 million in fines and $2.7 billion in lawsuits. And multiple major account holders leaving the bank.

Apart from that sure they got away with it.

Again. The people involved were offered a payment plan. They agreed to this. Then they ran off. That's when legal proceedings started.

"Getting their life ruined" is such a stupid argument for when people get their comeuppance.

Deleted member 5129

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bank accidentally deposits money, they spend it and get sued "oh no, the evil bank evil evil how could they it was their mistake!!"

Bank accidentally withdraws money "oh no we must sue for damages sue sue sue the bank run em into the ground how dare they make a mistake"

Come on, nothings free in life. Especially not money. Just dont spend it lol

Masquerader

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Some people in this thread are overlooking the fact that the money deposited in error isn't coming out of thin air. That $120,000.00 probably was a single deposit intended for someone else's account. By not reporting the error when they first noticed as soon as possible, that couple could've seriously screwed over another person's financial well-being. That money could've been deposited in preparation for a large purchase like a home or to pay a debt.

b-b-but it's just numbers, it's not real money tho

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
It's only 120k lol

How did you get that much and think, "Its time to go on a spending spree", and instead of, "Oh I should use this for rent and bills, so I can actually start saving money from my work checks.".

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
It's only 120k lol

How did you get that much and think, "Its time to go on a spending spree", and instead of, "Oh I should use this for rent and bills, so I can actually start saving money from my work checks.".

"We're living check to check. We tried to set ourselves up for the future." is the kind of defence that might get leniency in court. "Bought a fucking racecar, lol" is not.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
felony charges are the sticker for me do they have to give them a criminal record in addition to probably bankrupting them in civil court?

But yes spending the money like they did was the dumbest thing they could do and the bank has every right to ask for it back.
Agree with this 100%

To be so vindictive about it is just as wrong, if not more so than the morons spending the money. They didnt hold the bank up at gunpoint ffs.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
Agree with this 100%

To be so vindictive about it is just as wrong, if not more so than the morons spending the money. They didnt hold the bank up at gunpoint ffs.

The bank discovered the error, informed them and set up a repayment scheme to allow them to pay the money back.

The woman then ceased all contact with the bank.

That's the point it became a felony.

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I wouldn't have spent it myself, mostly out of fear. But I don't see how this classifies as theft. They didn't actively steal anything, it's entirely the bank's fault, and therefore they should take the damage.

Edit: I'm not speaking on the legal definition of theft, since I have no knowledge of that. I'm just saying from a purely moral perspective.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
can you really be charged with theft and a felony when the bank dropped it in your account without any involvement from you?

yes you return it since it's an error, but a felony? so Bank of America can deposit 5$ in my checking and charge me for a felony?

I'm pretty side it's not the having the money part but the spending it part

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

but they are being charged for theft when the bank gave them the money in the first place, they did not take it

returning the money is a different case, but the first part is not the definition of theft. A lawsuit to return the money i can understand

They are being charged because when the bank tried to setup a repayment plan with them they ghosted the bank.

If they had just returned the money there would not be a problem.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
2ifQEiHGgciVgp7c92r5jYdZ-9s=.gif

Oct 30, 2017
They spent over a $100,000 in a few weeks?! And ghosted the bank on a potential payment plan?

Hell, even if the bank somehow just gave it to them, what did they think was going to happen when the IRS comes knocking on their door for the taxes owed on a sudden $120,000 income influx at the end of the year?

Everything is paper trailed cause it's a blasted bank account! How stupid were these people?