• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
they had about 1,000 in the bank between them
so they get this 120,000
and choose to spend most of it on 4 cars? that's the real crime

KillingJoke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Important detail in the article for the "why are they being punished for the bank's mistake?" crowd.

They weren't in trouble until the woman decided to run away after agreeing to repay the money.

They basically got a 120k interest free loan (assuming the payment plan was generous) and fucked it all the way to be greedy. Idiots.

Deleted member 25671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Important detail in the article for the "why are they being punished for the bank's mistake?" crowd.

They weren't in trouble until the woman decided to run away after agreeing to repay the money.
Yep this is it. Seems like they tried to ghost the bank after being in talks with them on a way to repay it. I wonder if they agree to some kind of payment plan the bank will drop the charges.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
I think the interest would belong to the bank as well. I'm not a legal expert, but I think the act of putting the money into a separate account would be evidence that you knew the money wasn't yours and would open you up to legal trouble.

You cold make the legal argument that you moved the money to prevent comingling with your legally owned funds until the bank could make arrangements to recover it.

Oct 27, 2017
Some posters here are as foolish as this couple. You can't see that the bank made a mistake like this and go "Whooooo!! Free money!!!" and go on a spending spree. Yeah, the bank made a mistake but they compounded that error by being stupid, spending money they know isn't theirs.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
When I was 12 my bank accidentally dropped £1,000 into my account - went out and bought an N64 Goldeneye bundle, a hi-fi and a 24 inch TV! My old man had to pay them back once they noticed, and I was grounded for like a month, but didn't much care as I had Goldeneye lol.
How did you get the 24 inch TV home while you were 12?

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
"Bad legal advice"

Please tell me bad legal advice means a subreddit because there's no lawyer worth their salt that wouldn't tell you to report that shit or not touch it

Hell it doesn't take a lawyer that's just common sense

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they knew they shouldn't spend it but did it anyways. Think about it, even if you DID win 120k lottery, wouldn't 90% of most sane people just deposit and if they did anything they might pay off a mortgage or take a much needed vacation.

If I was legit given 120K today, I would replace my car since I just hit 100K miles last week and put a good chunk towards my mortgage and refinance the remainder.

Josh5890

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Bad legal advice"

Please tell me bad legal advice means a subreddit because there's no lawyer worth their salt that wouldn't tell you to report that shit or not touch it

/u/ima_reallawyer advised I was completely within my legal rights to spend the money freely without consequences.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Fuck the bank and anyone defending them is incredibly naive to believe the bank wouldn't fuck your ass in a heartbeat. That being said they should have probably covered their bases better.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
This happened to me years ago, I can't remember how much was in the account now but it was in the six figure range, and when I called the bank they told me that it wasn't a mistake, that they sometimes use accounts to hold money temporarily or some other nonsense and that obviously that I couldn't touch it. That explanation never made sense to me but the money was gone when I checked again later that day.

Josh5890

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This happened to me years ago, I can't remember how much was in the account now but it was in the six figure range, and when I called the bank they told me that it wasn't a mistake, that they sometimes use accounts to hold money temporarily or some other nonsense and that obviously that I couldn't touch it. That explanation never made sense to me but the money was gone when I checked again later that day.

You were lucky and ended up talking to the person who was assisting in the money laundering scheme /s

moblin

Oct 25, 2017
Москва
MV5BNWM4M2QwOWUtNGMwMS00Nzg2LTg0YjktYTU4M2ZhYTMwYTU5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_.jpg

who knows this

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
Stealing from the bank... your bank, using your account is the most baller, American move ever.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
Why are costumers liable to bank mistakes? The one making the mistake was the bank in the first place.

BANK ERROR IN YOUR FAVOR is not IRL

Also the customers aren't liable for the bank's mistake. Withdrawing money they did not own created the liability.

Mr. Robot

Oct 30, 2017
"Juice? No thank, I'm not thirsty."

I used to love this money as a kid. I always wished I would end up in the scenario he found himself in.

I barely remember that movie, but didn't he end up buying more stuff than what he could buy?
He should have invested it and it would made a more interesting movie with an actual message.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
I barely remember that movie, but didn't he end up buying more stuff than what he could buy?
He should have invested it and it would made a more interesting movie with an actual message.

No kid his age is investing that money. They are buying the gigantic TV and virtual reality set he did.

I know I wouldn't. That would involve telling my parents. They would take my money.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
Fuck the bank and anyone defending them is incredibly naive to believe the bank wouldn't fuck your ass in a heartbeat. That being said they should have probably covered their bases better.
What is wrong with you? Where you think money in the bank comes from? Peoples accounts. Someone somewhere was missing 120k. You're damn right if it was me missing money I want the bank going out and getting back every penny as soon as possible.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
What is wrong with you? Where you think money in the bank comes from? Peoples accounts. Someone somewhere was missing 120k. You're damn right if it was me missing money I want the bank going out and getting back every penny as soon as possible.
You realize when someone steals from a bank that the people with said money in bank are not going to literally lose their money because it's insured by FDIC and I'm pretty sure this money was more of a clerical error if anything so if anything the only ones who lost money are the bank. The error is completely on the bank.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Well, yeah.

This isn't the people not noticing $1000 in their account and they pay the mortgage with it... They went out and bought a camper and gave the money away as fast as they could, knowing it was a mistake. They weren't being charged with a crime initially, tthey were asked to give the money back. They *then* got charged with a crime when they refused/ghosted the bank.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
When I was 12 my bank accidentally dropped £1,000 into my account - went out and bought an N64 Goldeneye bundle, a hi-fi and a 24 inch TV! My old man had to pay them back once they noticed, and I was grounded for like a month, but didn't much care as I had Goldeneye lol.

Did your parents not notice that you suddenly had a new 24" TV...? Which was pretty freakin rare (and HUGE) back in ~1996... They didn't wonder "hmmm... where did Monsoon Jr. get $1000 to buy an N64 and the biggest TV on the block?"

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
If this ever happened to me, I would just put it in a high interest rate account, and try to drag my feet as much as possible in giving it back. Not spend it.
Now this would've been sound legal/financial advice. I remember this one time I received quite the sum from work along with my monthly salary, I wasn't sure if there had been a mistake or not so first thing I did before spending any was to ask Human Resources first thing next morning. It was a bonus for my hard work during the year, so all was good.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Bad legal advice"

If you post it on /b you will have people telling you to not spend it and tell the bank.

They mostly like ignored the 95% of good response and gone for the one they wanted to hear.

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But the banks got bailed out when they caused the recession right. No felony charges for the people in charge. But the small fish must pay lol

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How did you get the 24 inch TV home while you were 12?

Carried it a mile, with some help from a couple of friends :p

Did your parents not notice that you suddenly had a new 24" TV...? Which was pretty freakin rare (and HUGE) back in ~1996... They didn't wonder "hmmm... where did Monsoon Jr. get $1000 to buy an N64 and the biggest TV on the block?"

On second thoughts I may be misremembering the exact dimensions, it was pretty damn big though! And it took my parents about a week before they wondered why my bedroom door was so consistently closed, or why the neighbourhood kids were so keen on coming over every day after school haha.

Surakian

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If somebody accidentally put $100,000 in my account, I would invest it in a major company or put it in a high interest rate savings account and watch it make money on itself and then when the bank comes around to ask for it back, I'd have made money off of it so it is a net gain regardless.

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
You realize when someone steals from a bank that the people with said money in bank are not going to literally lose their money because it's insured by FDIC and I'm pretty sure this money was more of a clerical error if anything so if anything the only ones who lost money are the bank. The error is completely on the bank.
Oh so you'd rather taxes pay for their free money which comes out of all our pockets as well. Again, where do you think FDIC insurance comes from? But fuck everyone that pays taxes they got some free money, right?