• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Court Rules Against Brendan Dassey, Subject of 'Making a Murderer'

The seesaw legal battle of Brendan Dassey, whose conviction was questioned in the Netflix documentary series "Making a Murderer," took another turn on Friday as a federal court in Chicago ruled against him, dealing a major blow to his hopes of being freed from prison.

By a 4-to-3 vote, the United States Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit ruled that Mr. Dassey's confession had not been coerced by police investigators, reversing an earlier decision. Mr. Dassey admitted to assisting his uncle, Steven Avery, in the 2005 sexual assault and killing in Manitowoc, Wis., of Teresa Halbach, a 25-year-old photographer. Mr. Dassey later recanted his confession.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta feel suspicious of this one especially with a 4-3 verdict, everything seems to point to him not having the full capacity at the time to go through with that level of investigation without potential tampering of his testimony

NeoGold123

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I hate how screwy the whole case was, but his confession in general was the biggest sham.

Oct 26, 2017
This pisses me off letting someone with his mental faculties get coerced and fucked by the system. What a god damn joke. Outside of shooting Trump's bullshit down, our courts are just horrendous. Cops murder those they've sworn to protect and go free and this kid rots his life away in jail.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know it was bullshit the second they convicted both these guys on two completely different murder scenarios

Clockwork

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wisconsin
The justice system is a sham.

It's ridiculous that if prosecutors don't like a given result/ruling that they can continue to appeal to a higher court until a majority decision is made in their favor. Especially when that can come down to a 4 to 3 decision that leaves someone in prison for life.

The real problem is that the prosecution knows that without that confession they have nothing on Dassey. There was never any physical evidence or people to corroborate what happened.

You know it was bullshit the second they convicted both these guys on two completely different murder scenarios

And that too. Was she killed in the bedroom or was she killed in the garage?

(Both of which were missing any physical evidence as well. These two might as well be the best crime scene cleanup guys the world has ever seen)

JackSwift

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't remember, how long is he serving again? Dude just wanted to watch wrestlmania :(

Jmanunknown

Oct 26, 2017
There is not a single bit of evidence that ties Brendan Dassey to the murder of Teresa Halbach except for that obviously coerced confession.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
Bullshit, the boy has an Intellectual disability and was obviously coerced from the interview on tape. No matter what you think about Steve Avery this boy obviously had no idea what was going on. C'mon guys, he's missed so many Wrestlemania's because of this shit.

Lil Boat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly sickens me. I can't imagine seeing how his confession was coerced out of him and finding him guilty. This is honestly so hard to hear.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely ridiculous. The kid even asks if he can go back to school after making the confession. He had no idea what he was saying, he just wanted to get out of the interrogation so he could go back to his life and he wasn't "there" enough to realize what he just walked into.

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Just remember of every high profile case like this there are tens of thousands of similar abuses of power than get less press because it's not a murder charge and not on netflix.

Justice system is no longer salvageable imo.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to hear the arguments how you can watch the confession and go "yep that guy did it 100% and was 100% not coerced". Those 4 judges should be investigated against. They probably have something wrong with them.

Creamium

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Just remember of every high profile case like this there are tens of thousands of similar abuses of power than get less press because it's not a murder charge and not on netflix.

Justice system is no longer salvageable imo.

Yeah it's really depressing once you realize this is just one example of many. It's been a while since MaM came out but I still remember that coerced confession, makes my blood boil.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
False confessions are shockingly easy to obtain even from people of a regular capacity so you can imagine Dassey had almost zero chance.
The American justice system has been broken for decades.

Oct 25, 2017
There is not a single bit of evidence that ties Brendan Dassey to the murder of Teresa Halbach except for that obviously coerced confession.

Dassey had bleached pants.

http://www.businessinsider.com/making-a-murder-steven-avery-evidence-guilty-2016-1

I really urge people to look a little more into this case. The Netflix doc was produced to get a rise out of people. And truly, there was some bizarre stuff done in the investigation, and it was an odd scenario overall. Regardless, when you look at some of the stuff the Netflix doc left out, the case against Steve Avery is much stronger.

I still have issues with the way Dassey's confession was coerced out of him, but it's also quite possible he isn't as innocent as people want him to be.

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
Typical United States "justice system". I guess he is lucky he wasn't shot by a cop.

The amount of injustice that goes on in the USA is just shocking and sickening. It's third world levels of corruption and filth.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah it's really depressing once you realize this is just one example of many. It's been a while since MaM came out but I still remember that coerced confession, makes my blood boil.
Netflix have a new show called 'confession tapes' about people who have admitted to crimes they probably had nothing to do with. Your first thought is always 'well if they didn't do it why did they confess' which is exactly what the jury always says but watching it you can really see how the police can manipulate anyone with enough time. It's crazy. This kid didn't stand a chance.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's no evidence he did it, other than his confession, which is full of inconsistencies and doesn't align with any evidence that was found, i.e, that they cut her throat in the bedroom and carried her through the carpeted hallway yet not a speck of blood was found anywhere on the mattress, walls, carpets etc.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Netflix have a new show called 'confession tapes' about people who have admitted to crimes they probably had nothing to do with. Your first thought is always 'well if they didn't do it why did they confess' which is exactly what the jury always says but watching it you can really see how the police can manipulate anyone with enough time. It's crazy. This kid didn't stand a chance.

Not only that, but psychologically, there are people that are effected by stress and anxiety that will react by telling the interviewer what they think they want to hear so they can try and hurry up and get out of the situation that they're in. Even when the investigator isn't being manipulative.

An average juror only has an 8th grade education, which is why you see so many juries be easily swayed one way or another.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I keep telling people they are going to do everything they can to keep Brendan in prison. I told you the earlier decisions in his favor wouldn't be enough. I hope he gets out someday but they are desperate not to be proven wrong on this, especially after Stephen and the documentary.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely ridiculous. The kid even asks if he can go back to school after making the confession. He had no idea what he was saying, he just wanted to get out of the interrogation so he could go back to his life and he wasn't "there" enough to realize what he just walked into.

Yep. This pisses me off the most. That kid obviously didn't understand the situation he was in. I think he was talking about watching wrestling at some point too. Whole thing is a joke.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
They're trying to cover their asses so they don't have to admit wrongdoing. It's sick.

I dunno if Avery is a murderer or not, but Dassey was just a means to an end for the police.

GeoMack

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, just finished reading the majority and dissent opinions.

http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/cgi-b...C:16-3397:J:Hamilton:aut:T:fnOp:N:2074184:S:0

The dissent is so much more persuasive in my humble opinion and I actually leaned toward Dassey being involved somehow. But just wow.

Also all 3 judges dissenting were unsurprisingly women regardless of political leanings. And so disappointed that Obama's lone appointee, Judge Hamilton, was the deciding vote and writer of the majority opinion.

This circuit has 3 more openings and Trump has already appointed one, it is so stacked with right leaning Judges.

Bo Neslek

Oct 25, 2017
Canada's Ear
I have a feeling that the majority judges are well aware that *a lot* of investigations rely on exactly this type of coerced confession, and do not want to set any precedent.

Oct 26, 2017
Man, just finished reading the majority and dissent opinions.

http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/cgi-b...C:16-3397:J:Hamilton:aut:T:fnOp:N:2074184:S:0

The dissent is so much more persuasive in my humble opinion and I actually leaned toward Dassey being involved somehow. But just wow.

Also all 3 judges dissenting were unsurprisingly women regardless of political leanings. And so disappointed that Obama's lone appointee, Judge Hamilton, was the deciding vote and writer of the majority opinion.

This circuit has 3 more openings and Trump has already appointed one, it is so stacked with right leaning Judges.
I'm only halfway through, but this all just makes me frustrated. Right off the bat, this rubs me wrong:

Some factors would tend to support a finding that Dassey's confession was not voluntary: his youth, his limited intellectual ability, some suggestions by the interrogators, their broad assurances to a vulnerable suspect that honesty would produce leniency, and inconsistencies in Dassey's confession. Many other factors, however, point toward a finding that it was voluntary. Dassey spoke with the interrogators freely, after receiving and understanding Miranda warnings, and with his mother's consent. The interrogation took place in a comfortable setting, without any physical coercion or intimidation, without even raised voices, and over a relatively brief time. Dassey provided many of the most damning details himself in response to open‐ended questions. On a number of occasions he resisted the interrogators' strong suggestions on particular details.
I just...I can't even. Maybe I'm being too frustrated because of his mental faculties. Have we had any confirmation or anything about Dassey having any kind of mental slowness?

Jmanunknown

Oct 26, 2017
Dassey had bleached pants.

http://www.businessinsider.com/making-a-murder-steven-avery-evidence-guilty-2016-1

I really urge people to look a little more into this case. The Netflix doc was produced to get a rise out of people. And truly, there was some bizarre stuff done in the investigation, and it was an odd scenario overall. Regardless, when you look at some of the stuff the Netflix doc left out, the case against Steve Avery is much stronger.

I still have issues with the way Dassey's confession was coerced out of him, but it's also quite possible he isn't as innocent as people want him to be.

Dassey had bleached pants really are kidding me? Where the heck is the evidence of Avery and Dassey actually cleaning the primary crime scene oh and since your so sure about Avery and the case being stronger where is the primary crime scene? If Avery had enough foresight to clean pretty much every crime scene spotless why the hell would he not crush the car that she drove considering they live in a salvage yard with a car crusher?

Deleted member 11157

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's sunk cost fallacy for the state of Wisconsin at this point. They've fucked up so badly thus far, that at this point, they have to ride it out to the end and can't admit fault. Nobody in the system can admit fault or it reveals the entire justice system is a sham. They probably will kill the kid in prison within the next year or so so this all goes away.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
There is that famous video of Harvard law professor who says don't talk to the police for like 45 minutes. Then the guest detective gets up and like the first thing he says is don't talk to the police.

Oct 25, 2017
Dassey had bleached pants really are kidding me? Where the heck is the evidence of Avery and Dassey actually cleaning the primary crime scene oh and since your so sure about Avery and the case being stronger where is the primary crime scene? If Avery had enough foresight to clean pretty much every crime scene spotless why the hell would he not crush the car that she drove considering they live in a salvage yard with a car crusher?

You don't understand how criminal prosecution works, do you? FYI, it's not like what you see on CSI.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Funny how people react differently to the same content. I watched that show and was convinced they both did it. Was also convinced the cops and prosecutors were scam artists.

Deleted member 11157

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Funny how people react differently to the same content. I watched that show and was convinced they both did it. Was also convinced the cops and prosecutors were scam artists.
Nothing will get me to change my feeling that they're Not Guilty after seeing the planted car keys in the trailer that was found by the local hick cops after the state troopers couldn't find anything after three searches. That destroyed any credibility. Even if after this, they found a video of the two commiting the rape and bloody murder, I wouldn't believe the cops.