• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
They're not panicking...they're fantasizing about it.

And I say that as a gun owner myself. Some of these people are fuckin' nuts.

This right here. As a gun owner, I'm thoroughly disappointed in the absolute stupidity of these people that mass purchase ammo hoping for some insane situation to happen. People are fucking nuts.

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
There are a bunch of guns in my house, but no ammo lol. They're leftovers my dad had and just sit around collecting dust

Aug 2, 2018
My friend and I just went through all our ammo at the range this past weekend. I got one of the last boxes of 9mm from lucky gunner so I'm good. Almost all the ammo sites are toast ATM and only have the super pricey stuff. Local places are up to over $1 a round for hollow point.

YMB

Nov 6, 2017
Almost all the ammo sites are toast ATM and only have the super pricey stuff.
Tho on the plus side that higher end ammo tends to be what someone will use in a defensive firearm anyway. Around here almost everything is gone even the really expensive stuff (buckshot and all 9mm is completely wiped out). Thankfully i stocked up years ago. If everything calms down im strongely considering getting into reloading.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
I imagine these people always being in a state of paranoia.
And i think some have been hoping for something like this for years. Some can't WAIT to shoot "looters".Yes, that is how poorly i think about some gun owners.

Aug 2, 2018
Tho on the plus side that higher end ammo tends to be what someone will use in a defensive firearm anyway. Around here almost everything is gone even the really expensive stuff (buckshot and all 9mm is completely wiped out). Thankfully i stocked up years ago.
Yea I actually swapped some of my ball for my friends hollow point because he had extra. What sucks if the prices overall are going to skyrocket for god knows how long.

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
One Guy from work had his wife load several guns and buy several hundred additional bullets. Another guy said he got out his hand guns. The United States is set to fracture and dissappear for all coming time if anything goes down. Gun nuts are the fucking worst.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
If we had a better social safety net, guaranteed health care to all Americans, reduced income/wealth inequality, there'd be less reason for their "nightmare" scenario to ever play out. But they want it this way.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Gun owners panicking is their natural state.
This. They look for any anxiety loaded social issue to justify gun hoarding and hero fantasies. It elevates their sense of self importance and that's generally what gun ownership is to them. Not protection. Not security. But feeling powerful and cool.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
If we had a better social safety net, guaranteed health care to all Americans, reduced income/wealth inequality, there'd be less reason for their "nightmare" scenario to ever play out. But they want it this way.

Or if correct actions and decisions were made months ago to prepare for mass testing or having basic PPE supplies for medical staff etc etc

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
This. The crisis over here is bringing the country together to combat it as a whole. It is inspiring almost. It sounds like an absolute freaking nightmare over there.

Again needs to go without saying it depends on which part of the country - just like any country.

I'm in a major city and its pretty inspiring here. Universities/Schools/Hotels are making way for hospital beds, The school districts are giving out food everyday to students and the less fortunate. Parts of the community are really coming together and taking and respecting the measures.

That said, I grew up in a rural area and yeah I can imagine what the OP is saying and how nuts some of these people are.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
What these gun owners don't know is they will be against me, a student of the sword.....

They should be afraid. My sword has been folded 10 000 times, my spirit is one with the blade, my courage is without question.

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
Gun owner here....this is true. I believe in the right to carry for self defense, but most gun nuts are, well, nuts, and they seem to fetishize a world where they can wantonly kill and utilize firepower for survival. It's kinda disturbing.

All I've got is a little 38 special, strictly for home defense in the case of a home invasion, but I'm fairly certain the six rounds I have in the weapon is more than enough. These people going out and hoarding ammunition have more than a few screws, nuts, bolts, and maybe even some washers and seals loose.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Some dude was trying to break into a house down the street from us at 4 AM the other week - when people would most certainly be home. If people get more desperate, there's no telling what kind of fucked up dystopia we might find ourselves in.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
When are most gun owners not panicking about something?

Bingo. A lot of them, particularly the ones that hoard a militia's worth of guns, are people who legitimately want anarchy and civil unrest to happen so they finally be the action hero they've always fantasized about being. It's less about legitimately wanting to protect their house/family and more about masturbatory fantasies about getting to be John Wick.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
We own a gun. We have moved it to a central place in the house, but it's still unloaded and out of sight / reach for any visitors.

I hope to never use it outside of a shooting range.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
While the rest of the world stocks up on food and toilet paper, Americans stock up on guns and ammo.

sounds normal tbh.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Even though we have tried confiscating guns in NZ after the shooting, apparently many people are still illegally holding onto theirs and likely will never turn them in. I think gun owners are just evidently far more likely to be fucking unreasonable and paranoid.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
If someone made a movie about a virus spreading easily because people wanted to enjoy their spring break and that later people started arming themselves and buying toilet paper to prepare for the apocalypse we would all think say it was a low effort poorly written script huh

Ramble

Sep 21, 2019
Wait a minute....Surely even in America now there are basic checks and a standard waiting time to collect a gun? Maybe even a CBT for first time buyers?

Is this a joke post, because I can't tell.

In the event you are serious, no. I could leave my house and buy a gun in less time than it would take to get fast food.

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018

Heh. I grew up on a farm in the midwest. My mom hated guns and we never owned any, which was fine by me. But I was always amazed that the familes who DID own guns always seemed to "need" them. i.e. "I broke up a fight in our yard" or "Used it to stop a robbery at my house". Like, I lived a mile away for 20 years and never even saw a fight or a burglery. We left our keys in the ignition of our cars. How the hell has this happened to them multiple times?

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
This. The crisis over here is bringing the country together to combat it as a whole. It is inspiring almost. It sounds like an absolute freaking nightmare over there.

It's fine over here, don't let the vocal minority fool you. I'm in AZ and the shelves were pretty bare for a week, but stocks are restoring to normal, except TP, but that's close...behind.. Anyway most people I know are being cautiously optimistic. My Facebook is full of funny Corona memes ect.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
That is a ton, but any would be better than what we h ave now, which is zero correct?
Yeah, it's a LOT and if you want to bring home weapons with the sole purpose of taking life, you should spend it.

It doesn't ahve to be boring, you can do range time on a number of different weapons. But yes, you should been INTIMATELY knowledgable with your firearm to own it and keep it in your house.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
Wait a minute....Surely even in America now there are basic checks and a standard waiting time to collect a gun? Maybe even a CBT for first time buyers?
Is this a joke post, because I can't tell.

In the event you are serious, no. I could leave my house and buy a gun in less time than it would take to get fast food.

Depends on the state. Here in NJ, we have pretty sensible laws. You need to apply for a Firearms Purchaser ID card, and you do that at the local police station. Usually takes a few weeks to clear. That card allows you to buy ammo and any "long" gun (rifle or shotgun). When you buy one of those guns, you still have to go through an "Instant" check at the point of sale, which in my experience takes about an hour.

To get a handgun, you have to apply for a permit with the police, and you do this for each handgun. Once you get the permit and go to purchase the gun, you STILL have to go through the instant check, to make sure you haven't committed any felonies between then and when you were issued the permit.

It's time consuming and kind of a pain in the ass, BUT....it makes sense, so I'm fine with it. In fact, I'd like them to go a step further and require a safety course before purchasing your first, but that will likely never happen. I received rifle and shotgun training in Boy Scouts, and watched a bunch of safety videos prior to purchasing my first. I'm sure there are a bunch of yahoos who go out and buy one without ever bothering to watch so much as one safety video.

Heh. I grew up on a farm in the midwest. My mom hated guns and we never owned any, which was fine by me. But I was always amazed that the familes who DID own guns always seemed to "need" them. i.e. "I broke up a fight in our yard" or "Used it to stop a robbery at my house". Like, I lived a mile away for 20 years and never even saw a fight or a burglery. We left our keys in the ignition of our cars. How the hell has this happened to them multiple times?

Yeah, I've never had a need to take one out of the cabinet. We live in a semi rural area where nothing happens. I think we had a bear in the area once, and we have an occasional coyote, but I've never seen them on our property. There hasn't been a burglary in this neighborhood for decades, so I don't believe I'll ever actually have to use these things. I just like shooting clay pigeons and plinking.

Last edited: