• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wally_Wall

Oct 26, 2017
Full disclosure, I own a firearm. Just one pistol and I rarely shoot nowadays. I'm generally pro gun rights if it's reasonable. Anyway... I've overheard or directly spoken to many passionate gun owners during this past week. For the record, these are the ones who own 10 guns and always preach to you about having enough ammo because, "you never know?"

This crisis has somehow convinced them that the upcoming months will validate all their purchases and beliefs. These people I've spoken to genuinely believe we're going back to the wild west days and he who has the firepower survives. It's quite terrifying to me. I asked one girl why she's panicking and she told me her family is spread out and they aren't armed. That's her major concern atm. I asked her if she thought a war was coming and she said, well no but.... nevermind. We just need guns!

Be careful out there everyone.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
My friends dad took out his two handguns and said "we're the wealthy ones they'll come for us first"

I was like uhhhh

I mean don't get me wrong they are wealthy but yeah it's getting weird.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Odd, maybe it's just different people. Owner myself, so is literally everyone in my office and no talk or panic about anything of the sort here.

Nonetheless people, take care of yourself. Crazy people will always be crazy.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
They're not panicking...they're fantasizing about it.

And I say that as a gun owner myself. Some of these people are fuckin' nuts.

Cort

Nov 4, 2017
I work next to a gun store. There were a handful of people outside of it yesterday, and I usually never notice anyone in that store really.

TreeMePls

Oct 25, 2017
Theyre just wanting an excuse to justify them spending money on something theyll probably never need.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
when the looters come for your toilet paper
I was about to say the same thing.

When it gets nasty after a dump people are not going to just sit in their shit. They are going to come for those who have hoarded all the hard ass currency.

This is not the time to be reasonable or rational. Its every crazy SOB for themself.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Gun owners just want a reason to panic so they can wave their guns around

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
does my bb gun count? :)

if anyone loots my house they'll get shot with a cheap plastic 6mm bb or smacked across the jaw with a skateboard or guitar.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They're ALWAYS looking for validation for their fears and choices. Really it's just a bunch of animals barking at the dark. Imagine living with that much insecurity on a daily basis.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I get it. I don't agree with it, but I get it. People are uncertain and scared and it gives them a sense of control and authority. It's scary, but understandable.

Feb 16, 2018
There is just something about guns that causes some people to act like they're as essential as food or water it's so bizarre that some of these people can't seem to imagine living without having them. I'm assuming it's a power fantasy thing but it's just so strange to me.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I overheard a guy at work going on about how it was gonna be the Walking Dead and people were gonna go after his stuff, so he was ready with his guns and shit. It's like some people were waiting for this so they could finally go Rambo.

water_wendi

Oct 25, 2017
Guns might deter a single person but if shit goes crazy people will just burn your house down if they cant enter.

Hadok

Feb 14, 2018
they must be very good at aiming if they think they can kill a virus with a gun.

R dott B

Oct 27, 2017
Strange...I'm a gun owner and so are the people I work with and I haven't heard anyone panicking.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
It's the same shit it ever was. Having had to go to Walmart at midnight once or twice to catch .22 ammo during the Obama years, these folks are usually prepping for X event that's coming soon pandemic or not.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I've got a Mossberg 500 sitting in my closet with a box of shells, still got the gun lock in it and it's unloaded.

I'm not worried.

GeminiX7

Feb 6, 2019
My fiancee is actually really angry with me because I'm not as gung-ho on getting a gun for the house. I have an interest in firearms but I don't own any. She tends to be the anxious type who overthinks/plans and has wanted to get a gun for a long time, but specifically for the VERY unlikely chance that she'll use it in some defensive capacity(if she wanted to take up hunting or genuinely had an interest in something like going to shooting ranges I wouldn't be against it).

But no, its more for the fantasy of being under seige and only surviving by pulling some John McClane or Dirty Harry shit. My biggest concerns are just the accidental shootings, lack of info on things like actual occurrences of firearms being used to stop home invasions/muggings/etc vs the stats on accidental shootings and other things, and the fact we have a 4 year old in the house. Not to mention, we are a Black couple, and concealed carry permit or not, a police officer sees us with a gun and it's not uncommon for that to end worse than it might anyways.

Kschreck

Oct 27, 2017
Pennsylvania
User Banned (1 Week): Fearmongering
I wish I owned guns right now. My city is going to go GTA levels of crime in the coming months. Gun owners are the lucky ones right now. I am scared to death with what I know is coming. All hell is about to be unleashed and most people still are not believing this. We all need to prepare for this!

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
This is not a zombie epidemic FFS. Everyone is gonna think of Children of Men was a real thing. GAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
They're not panicking...they're fantasizing about it.

And I say that as a gun owner myself. Some of these people are fuckin' nuts.

This. For a lot of people out there, this is a wet dream. "Finally, FINALLY! I'll be able to use my weapons!"

It's why we need way more restrictions on weaponry.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
I know for the sake of discussion sometimes we have to simplify, but "gun owners" is such a poor way to put it. "Gun nuts" maybe? Plenty of reasonable people own a gun in America. Having a handgun for home defense and a shotgun/rifle for hunting is a totally normal and socially acceptable thing to do. I've gathered that this seems unfathomable for most people outside the US but that's the reality here.

Anyways, the ones hoarding guns/ammo right now don't actually know what they want. They fantasize about surviving the purge and running the show at the end of civilization. But not really... after a few weeks of sleeping with one eye open they will wish they had AC and the internet again.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
These are the idiots that jerk themselves off for the zombie Apocalypse thinking they'll be the leads in a movie.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
My fiancee is actually really angry with me because I'm not as gung-ho on getting a gun for the house. I have an interest in firearms but I don't own any. She tends to be the anxious type who overthinks/plans and has wanted to get a gun for a long time, but specifically for the VERY unlikely chance that she'll use it in some defensive capacity(if she wanted to take up hunting or genuinely had an interest in something like going to shooting ranges I wouldn't be against it).

But no, its more for the fantasy of being under seige and only surviving by pulling some John McClane or Dirty Harry shit. My biggest concerns are just the accidental shootings, lack of info on things like actual occurrences of firearms being used to stop home invasions/muggings/etc vs the stats on accidental shootings and other things, and the fact we have a 4 year old in the house. Not to mention, we are a Black couple, and concealed carry permit or not, a police officer sees us with a gun and it's not uncommon for that to end worse than it might anyways.

More people are going to hurt themselves pretending they know how to use a firearm than anyone else.
My mind returns to that streamer who shot a 900 dollar monitor because he was playing with his gun and trying to look like a big man on stream. That's all this is, people trying to make themselves feel capable in scary times when they have no idea what they're doing.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
I wish I owned guns right now. My city is going to go GTA levels of crime in the coming months. Gun owners are the lucky ones right now. I am scared to death with what I know is coming. All hell is about to be unleashed and most people still are not believing this. We all need to prepare for this!
Real talk. Stop. Take a deep breath.

It's not gonna get that bad, I don't care if you live in Gary Indiana, society is not going to break down to the point where it's like 'GTA'.

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I haven't heard from any gun owners that this is what they've been waiting for, and have actually heard from folks that don't own guns wishing they had a LTC and owned a fire arm. I have thought about the whole situation, if a police department comes down with covid, quarantined or ill, meanwhile folks are losing their jobs, possibly not getting a check to pay for things and already in CC debt living pay check to pay check. Could social unrest happen, could crime or violent crime increase in the coming weeks? idk

Last edited: